MO - Tom Pickert, 39, fatally shot on porch, Kansas City, 25 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Bushnell

Reaction score
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article181009981.html

A man sitting on his front porch was gunned down Wednesday morning in the 200 block of West 66th Terrace in Brookside. Police responded to the scene just after 8 a.m. after the victim's spouse found her husband. Tammy Ljungblad The Kansas City Star

Crime

Police seek tips as they continue to investigate shooting death of Brookside attorney

By Glenn E. Rice, Ian Cummings And Tony Rizzo

October 26, 2017 10:36 AM
Kansas City police on Thursday continued to investigate the death of an attorney who was shot to death on the front porch of his Brookside home and authorities urged witnesses to call in tips.
Friends identified the victim as Tom Pickert, 39, who reportedly had just returned home after walking his children to school near their house in the 200 block of West 66th Terrace.
Pickert’s wife called police just around 8 a.m. Wednesday after hearing gunshots and finding her husband fatally wounded.
Police did not release any suspect information but said they do not think others are in danger. Several people contacted police after the shooting to express concern about their own safety, police said.

Shortly after the shooting police asked for help finding a white 1997 Chevrolet van with Missouri license 6FA 453. By late afternoon, police found the van in Raytown — unoccupied.

Police spoke with the van’s owner at police headquarters and then let the man leave.
They have the van in police custody and are processing it for evidence.

Pickert was an attorney for the firm Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger LLC in Kansas City. The shooter may have walked up to him and shot him at close range. A car was heard speeding away immediately after the shooting.
Pickert won a $5.75 million judgment this summer against a businessman who had shot a homeless man on his property. Last week, Jackson County court officials started the process of seizing the man’s real estate to pay the judgment. The court filed paperwork that would prevent the man from selling or transferring the property.
Police on Wednesday were at the man’s suburban residence and a business he owned in Kansas City.
Police were at the home on Thursday. Neighbors said they had seen police removing the van from where it had been left between two nearby houses.
Neighbor Paul Whitney said he has known the man for about 20 years.
“He’s personable, very smart,” Whitney said.”We never had a problem with him.”
Whitney said he knew the man had a multimillion-dollar judgment against him for shooting someone on his property.
Sgt. Kari Thompson would not say whether Pickert had been threatened before the shooting. She would not say whether the people who contacted police worried about their safety were attorneys who had dealt with the man whose home police are searching.

As a personal injury attorney, Pickert focused on medical malpractice, nursing home and long-term care abuse cases, according to his biography on his firm’s website.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tablet-attorney-pickert.jpg
    tablet-attorney-pickert.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 193
Heartbreaking. And the perp was so bold to do this in broad daylight; early morning in an affluent neighborhood near a school would be bustling with activity.

So I'm waiting for verification from the Amins but I want to bump this case up because it's a very fluid situation at the moment and I will not let his story go untold.

My very close cousin's husband was murdered last week in front of his home after walking his 2 little boys to school nearby. He was an attorney and had just won a $5.75 million against a man with an extensive history of gun violence. The man he won the judgement against was seen driving suspiciously up and down the street (on the 24th) the night before. A van matching the description and plate number of a suspect vehicle was seen speeding away from the crime scene.

Same van was found hidden/abandoned on property belonging to the aforementioned man. He has been questioned and was released. We are hoping that the police department are just making sure they have a solid case.

Other members of the same law firm are understandably on edge because the potential suspect has very little to lose at this point. Hopefully, the PD are observing their homes to keep them protected.

My cousin heard a loud noise or gunshots (we aren't clear which yet) and screamed for her husband to come in the house. When she didn't get a response she went out of the front door and found him obviously dead (I keep having awful thoughts that he had been shot in the face but at this point only my cousin really knows).

The wounds must have been horrendous as she could not resuscitate him, and she is a doctor.

Emily (my cousin) and I grew up very close together and our moms both lived in my grandparents' basement at one time when they were young single moms. She and I are very close in age (about 6 months apart).

We have so much in common, even both have little boys who are about the same age as well. Though distance has led to us drifting apart we don't interact much. She was like a sister to me. In fact we used to say we were godsisters because her parents are my godparents. My sisters are quite a bit younger than me but I was very close to a few cousins as we were all close in age and 3 out of 5 of us were born to young single moms.

Anyway, I am completely crushed by this terrible tragedy and I can only imagine how brokenhearted my cousin and her 2 little boys are. It's so cruel that these boys lost their dad at such a tender age and my cousin lost her best friend while they are both still in the prime of their lives.

I can't remember how long ago it was that he became her boyfriend but I know it's somewhere between 15-20 years ago. And like me, they are only in their late 30s.

This whole situation is just so awful. Every time I think about it, I have horrific images of what my cousin saw when she opened the door. Or having to tell his little boys that they will never see their dad again.

My cousin's first post on Facebook since the murder was so devastating and yet poignantly beautiful.

"Tom always told me he loved the way I have with words.
Now there are none."

So I'm waiting for verification from the Amins but I want to bump this case up because it's a very fluid situation at the moment and I will not let his story go untold.

My very close cousin's husband was murdered last week in front of his home after walking his 2 little boys to school nearby. He was an attorney and had just won a $5.75 million against a man with an extensive history of gun violence. The man he won the judgement against was seen driving suspiciously up and down the street (on the 24th) the night before. A van matching the description and plate number of a suspect vehicle was seen speeding away from the crime scene.

Same van was found hidden/abandoned on property belonging to the aforementioned man. He has been questioned and was released. We are hoping that the police department are just making sure they have a solid case.

Other members of the same law firm are understandably on edge because the potential suspect has very little to lose at this point. Hopefully, the PD are observing their homes to keep them protected.

My cousin heard a loud noise or gunshots (we aren't clear which yet) and screamed for her husband to come in the house. When she didn't get a response she went out of the front door and found him obviously dead (I keep having awful thoughts that he had been shot in the face but at this point only my cousin really knows).

The wounds must have been horrendous as she could not resuscitate him, and she is a doctor.

Emily (my cousin) and I grew up very close together and our moms both lived in my grandparents' basement at one time when they were young single moms. She and I are very close in age (about 6 months apart).

We have so much in common, even both have little boys who are about the same age as well. Though distance has led to us drifting apart we don't interact much. She was like a sister to me. In fact we used to say we were godsisters because her parents are my godparents. My sisters are quite a bit younger than me but I was very close to a few cousins as we were all close in age and 3 out of 5 of us were born to young single moms.

Anyway, I am completely crushed by this terrible tragedy and I can only imagine how brokenhearted my cousin and her 2 little boys are. It's so cruel that these boys lost their dad at such a tender age and my cousin lost her best friend while they are both still in the prime of their lives.

I can't remember how long ago it was that he became her boyfriend but I know it's somewhere between 15-20 years ago. And like me, they are only in their late 30s.

This whole situation is just so awful. Every time I think about it, I have horrific images of what my cousin saw when she opened the door. Or having to tell his little boys that they will never see their dad again.

My cousin's first post on Facebook was so devastating and yet poignantly beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your up close perspective of this horrendous act.....our sympathies are with you and your cousin/family.

May I gently suggest that you contact a Mod here (click on the triangle) to initiate a verified insider status, please.

We here at WS are committed to justice and will send positive thoughts that Lady Justice moves swiftly in this horrible murder.

Hugs to you and yours during this time of loss.....your cousin is lucky to have you as part of her support system now even if you’re far away.

Thank you for sharing your up close perspective of this horrendous act.....our sympathies are with you and your cousin/family.

May I gently suggest that you contact a Mod here (click on the triangle) to initiate a verified insider status, please.

We here at WS are committed to justice and will send positive thoughts that Lady Justice moves swiftly in this horrible murder.

Hugs to you and yours during this time of loss.....your cousin is lucky to have you as part of her support system now even if you’re far away.

She said she's waiting for verification from mods, so she must have already contacted them.

Bookboarder, thank you for sharing with us.

The situation is so tragic. I am thankful that the children were a few blocks away at school!

Yup, sent in my information and awaiting Admin approval.

Emily and I were born into a very unique family. Our moms are 2 of 16 children. My grandparents had boy, 14 girls and then another boy.

We have a crazy, wonderful and supportive family. Though we are spread all over the country, our huge, Catholic family. With so many aunts and uncles we have a huge amount of relatives (many, many, many cousins) she has a huge group of caring family who will help in any way we all can.

Sending good thoughts to your family, bookbinder.

This happened not far from where I live. I cannot understand why they haven't been able to call the person in question a suspect or arrest him. I wonder if the witness saw the driver or only the van? Did the witness get the license plate of the van when it was driving up and down the street? So sorry for your loss. I sure hope they are able to solve this horrible murder.

From what I hear from those privy to investigators, they want to make sure that they can close the case.

I understand being quite hushed about the case and avoid leaked information but as most of us can see quite clearly Jungermann should be named as suspect. It's not like they are uninterested in the information regarding the murder, the prior judgment against him along with numerous gun incidents the guy has racked up it seems to be relatively straightforward unless Jungermann has absolutely the worst luck of any human to exist. I mean for all of these pieces to line up the chance of all of those things happening and him not be the murderer are beyond astronomical.

My cousin managed to think quickly and noted the color, make, model and license plate number while she had her husband's lifeless body for the last time.

Ugh, sorry if this isn't well/clearly written but just thinking about certain aspects ends up with me in big ugly cry face.

It's just not fair. One of their little guys' birthday said next week. Tom's birthday would be November 9th.

I have never been this deeply invested in any case. It is just so horrible that even thinking of what has happened literally sends me gagging to the toilet.. My cousin is an extremely strong, amazing woman. If anyone can resurface from this tragedy, she can.

Hell, she completed medical school, residency, internship and boards with a husband and a young child when she decided to follow her dream of becoming a doctor after getting her bachelor's in English.

I know that the other partners in the firm are being protected. Tom was not alone on the case, he just happened to be the attorney to give the closing statement.

The media is absolutely making the situation more difficult. They are camped out at the home and my little cousins are extremely frightened. Not only did their dad just die, they are now being stalked to the point that the families cannot even have a proper funeral. There is going to be a very quiet memorial service and it will be private I order to give them all a chance to grieve away from cameras. No one outside of the nuclear, immediate families will even know any details of the service being planned. We have such a massive family it would draw even further attention and cause the kids and family more trauma.

Because of the situation they are in, our family want to protect her and shield the boys from continual hounding. Our moms had 15 siblings and we can't can't really do something discreetly with so many people and maintain their privacy as much as possible. With just immediate relatives (1st cousins, aunts and uncles) there are well over 60 of us and that that doesn't even take into account the children we cousins have... And our generation has been having kids like crazy over the last few years.

So, even though we would all like to go and grieve and support Emily we feel strongly that they deserve at least to say goodbye in peace. Tom was really an outstanding, fun, witty man who has always been such a devoted husband and father. We all want to give them space in hopes that they need right now.

Sorry, I'm rambling on but it's tough to put such strong emotions into writing when just letting my mind think of the gravity of this situation I fall apart.

Sending many thoughts to your cousins and extended families absolutely shocking for you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand. I am so sorry. It's so hard to believe they can't put the person of interest behind bars for now so that the family doesn't have to worry about his being out there still. Ugh.

For those who don't know, someone pointed out that in the original case, the disgruntled person who had the 5-something million judgment against him had not simply seen some prowlers and shot. What he did in the original case was receive an alarm at his warehouse miles away, and instead of waiting for the police, drove to his warehouse and shot the homeless persons who may have simply triggered an exterior alarm rather than actually having been stealing. Part of the civil suit over the loss of the homeless guy's leg was that the shooter didn't give any warning...just shot. And this was only one of several incidents where the person in question had shot at people for trespassing.

http://molawyersmedia.com/2017/07/28/man-wins-5-75m-verdict-in-shooting-case/
https://heavy.com/news/2017/10/david-jungerman-kansas-city-trump-raytown/comment-page-0/

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And...they made an arrest. Same guy as was always the suspect, David Jungerman. He apparently bragged about killing the lawyer and getting away with it.

Man accused of killing Brookside attorney complains he wants earlier trial

David Jungerman complained he was wasting too much of his life in jail. "That's 25 percent of my life if I wait a year," the 80-year-old defendant said when the Judge suggested a date of April 2019.

When the Judge suggested an earlier date, Feb. 25, 2019, the defense attorney explained to his client that preparation for the trial would take a long time. February, he said, is the earliest he could be prepared.

The long delayed criminal trial of the 84-year-old farmer, baby furniture maker and self-made millionaire accused in the 2017 shooting death of a personal injury attorney is set to begin Monday in the Jackson County courthouse.

David G. Jungerman of Raytown faces charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action for allegedly gunning down Tom Pickert on the brisk and sunny morning of Oct. 25, 2017.

Pickert was shot on the front porch of his Brookside home in the 200 block of West 66th Terrace, where he had just returned from walking his two sons to school.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KariGirl
Back