MO woman sues cafe that throws rolls for throwing rolls

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She's obviously an idiot and this was nature putting the laws of natural selection in action. I'm shocked she didn't sustain brain damage. There are billboards for miles saying Home of the throwed rolls. On the front door there's a big sign and many more inside that say WARNING THROWN ROLLS!!!! They even have pictures representing said thrown roll experience. The guys that throw them scream HOT ROLLS HEEERREEE HOT ROOLLS. They even make sure you are watching so you can catch it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

There's one in Foley, AL that we've been going to for 13 years. They don't just throw the rolls willy nilly at ANYONE. They go around announcing fresh rolls and ASK who wants one. If you want one "thrown", you put your hand up, the waiter makes sure you are watching and looking directly at him, and then he tosses it. If you want a roll delivered and NOT thrown, they bring it to you.

Still don't understand the point of throwing them if the quality of the food is the attraction. She claims she got injured because it was hot and hit her eye...:notgood:
It used to be a very small restaurant. It would get so packed the servers had problems getting to each table. (this was before occupancy limits) One day someone said pass me a roll. The server couldn't get to the table so the customer said "Just throw it!" He did and the practice became part of the experience.

It used to be a very small restaurant. It would get so packed the servers had problems getting to each table. (this was before occupancy limits) One day someone said pass me a roll. The server couldn't get to the table so the customer said "Just throw it!" He did and the practice became part of the experience.

There used to be a restaurant also whose claim to fame was to serve peanuts for everyone when they walked in.... and proud to have peanut shells all over the floor from such . I think it was Roadhouse grill?

I've been in one in the last 5 years and they no longer do that. i always thought it was a slip and fall situation waiting to happen. I wonder if they ever had a lawsuit that made them discontinue doing that?

Curious you say Yellowstone. Can you sue a national park if you are attacked by a bear or an elk?

From what I have read YES people sue Yellowstone regularly about various things.

This case is similar and the Mr Coomer did not win.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —Neither the Kansas City Royals nor a man who was struck in the eye with a foil-wrapped hot dog in 2009 were at fault, a western Missouri jury said Wednesday in a case seen as a challenge to the long-held "baseball rule."

John Coomer, 54, of Overland Park, Kansas, said he suffered permanent eye damage when the team's lion mascot Sluggerrr whipped a 4-ounce hotdog behind his back and struck him in the eye at a sparsely attended September 2009 Royals game.

Much more at link
http://www.kmbc.com/news/royals-mascot-face-civil-case-in-hot-dog-injury/33629572

There used to be a restaurant also whose claim to fame was to serve peanuts for everyone when they walked in.... and proud to have peanut shells all over the floor from such . I think it was Roadhouse grill?

I've been in one in the last 5 years and they no longer do that. i always thought it was a slip and fall situation waiting to happen. I wonder if they ever had a lawsuit that made them discontinue doing that?
Sizzler used to have sawdust on the floor when I was little.

This case is similar and the Mr Coomer did not win.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —Neither the Kansas City Royals nor a man who was struck in the eye with a foil-wrapped hot dog in 2009 were at fault, a western Missouri jury said Wednesday in a case seen as a challenge to the long-held "baseball rule."

John Coomer, 54, of Overland Park, Kansas, said he suffered permanent eye damage when the team's lion mascot Sluggerrr whipped a 4-ounce hotdog behind his back and struck him in the eye at a sparsely attended September 2009 Royals game.

Much more at link
http://www.kmbc.com/news/royals-mascot-face-civil-case-in-hot-dog-injury/33629572

:you: for :websleuther:

Texas Roadhouse still does this. Just ate there about a month ago.

If the plantiff did suffer medical conditons, then she deserves to win. She is suing for $25k, not millions. The $25k will likely be used to pay medical bills, she's not going to be living it up for that amount. I don't understand why people always take the side of businesses and corporations.

I don't understand people that the way you do... seriously?? She knew what they did there, she made the choice to go there, she has some responsibility.... Only 25k, why we take the side of business and corporations, because they didn't do anything and this con artist is trying to live off of other people....

I don't understand people that the way you do... seriously?? She knew what they did there, she made the choice to go there, she has some responsibility.... Only 25k, why we take the side of business and corporations, because they didn't do anything and this con artist is trying to live off of other people....

IMO a con artist implies she went in there intentionally trying to get hurt so she could sue the restaurant, and someone trying to live off of other people would want or need a lot more than 25k. The restaurant should have insurance for situations exactly like this, the same way we have auto insurance. Accidents happen.

Talk to your doctor and lawyer and see if you have a case!

People went after the woman who sued McDonald's too, because they couldn't believe she had a case. IMO she did the right thing. Oh yeah, and she won. :)

And that's why insurance is so high. Frivolous claims and less than moral attorneys. There is so much fraud it's crazy. And everybody is in on it from the claimant, attorneys, doctors....I mean, the attorneys have a list of "recommended" doctors who get a lot of business from those recommendations, in turn making the attorneys happy with their "reports". I've seen it first hand for decades.

The hot coffee/McDonalds case was ridiculous IMO. Every body knows coffee is hot.

I hate the fact that we as a country are so sue happy.

JMO

If the restaurant has a good insurance company they will be checking to make sure the woman who is sueing did not have a pre existing eye condition. The hot coffee suit was a joke imo. Cant believe she won.

And that's why insurance is so high. Frivolous claims and less than moral attorneys. There is so much fraud it's crazy. And everybody is in on it from the claimant, attorneys, doctors....I mean, the attorneys have a list of "recommended" doctors who get a lot of business from those recommendations, in turn making the attorneys happy with their "reports". I've seen it first hand for decades.

The hot coffee/McDonalds case was ridiculous IMO. Every body knows coffee is hot.

I hate the fact that we as a country are so sue happy.

JMO

The woman in the McDonald's case suffered third degree burns, was in the hospital for eight days and had to have skin grafts! Yes, everyone knows coffee is hot but spilling some on yourself shouldn't require two years of medical treatment. And much like the woman in this case she wasn't asking for McD's for a lot of money, but McD's insisted on going to trial.

However much fraud is going on doesn't mean legitimate cases should be ignored or automatically dismissed.

The woman in the McDonald's case suffered third degree burns, was in the hospital for eight days and had to have skin grafts! Yes, everyone knows coffee is hot but spilling some on yourself shouldn't require two years of medical treatment. And much like the woman in this case she wasn't asking for McD's for a lot of money, but McD's insisted on going to trial.

However much fraud is going on doesn't mean legitimate cases should be ignored or automatically dismissed.

We can agree to disagree about the McDonalds case being legitimate.

I read the restaurant's insurance has paid for others who were injured by the thrown rolls before. Chances are the insurance thinks she is lying about the extent of her injuries. If a roll caused that much injury then she needs to be in a full body suit all the time.

I read the restaurant's insurance has paid for others who were injured by the thrown rolls before. Chances are the insurance thinks she is lying about the extent of her injuries. If a roll caused that much injury then she needs to be in a full body suit all the time.

Oh ! denied ...Link please .

If ever been hit in the eye...or moreso hit slightly that caused corneal damage ? And caused years of quarterly..." in the bed with closed eyes and not moving for 3 days to try to heal" for four years ?

I have..

and I'm not saying that is what happened to her but I can understand.

if it is true.. she has a legitimate claim to the insurance company. But perhaps denied thinking lying hmmmm

Thought originally ..If it is so ...it is not the example of "oh my gosh what a litigious society"

Simple in my opinion. That is what insurance is for. :moo:

The difference is here if she tried to file an insurance , denied , and then she felt trying to go to court and it hit the media.

If it was me .and was hurt ...I say kudos ..

I'm not sure I would have gone that far...

If a roll causes that much injury, they need to not be throwing hot food! Others were injured before. This is clearly a dangerous practice.

If others have been injured previously, it is likely the restaurant is now self-insured. I can't imagine any commercial insurer willing to assume such a high-level risk from such a gimmick.

JMO

Never thought I'd see tossing soft rolls and high level risk in the same conversation. Many is this country are softer than the rolls. JMO

Never thought I'd see tossing soft rolls and high level risk in the same conversation. Many is this country are softer than the rolls. JMO

Many in this country go to restaurants for the quality of the food and not for the experience of dodging projectiles.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld