Mom Dies After Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This tragic event will be the featured discussion on "Scarborough Country"-I definitely plan to tune in and hear all the available info related to this case-including the actual 911 tapes!

I see where Geoffrey Fieger is getting involved with a lawsuit in this case. The 911 operator should be tried for accessory to murder - is there such a charge?

emmcee said:
I see where Geoffrey Fieger is getting involved with a lawsuit in this case. The 911 operator should be tried for accessory to murder - is there such a charge?

If so, Geoff will see to it!! I'm glad he'd taking the case!

This article says that there were two DIFFERENT operators who took the calls!!! How in the world could both these woman be so negligent?????

Mabel said:
Oh, I agree. There was no excuse for her actions. But I can understand why they would try to weed out the phony calls whenever possible.
That's just the thing...her job is to dispatch emergency personnel to callers requesting assistance-not to discipline kids over the phone. The time it takes to weed out phony calls could be the time it takes to save a life as in this case. She should have sent an "emergency truck" like the poor baby asked for as she was asking him the standard 9-1-1 questions. She didn't attempt to find out if the call was an actual emergency, she ASSumed it wasn't.

If it is determined a prank 911 call is made. LE can pursue criminal charges-but that's AFTER it's determined to be a prank.

tweedledee said:
This article says that there were two DIFFERENT operators who took the calls!!! How in the world could both these woman be so negligent?????

According to what's been reported on the news here in Detroit, he reached the same operator both times.

I used to have a job providing training materials for police officers & dispatchers. I have studied the training materials extensively and this woman acted contrary to the training provided by the California system. I have no idea what the training is like in Michigan, but I can only surmise that it would be similar.

I also assumed that someone was sent for each 911 call, prank or not.

What a tragedy.

itsreenw said:
That's just the thing...her job is to dispatch emergency personnel to callers requesting assistance-not to discipline kids over the phone. The time it takes to weed out phony calls could be the time it takes to save a life as in this case. She should have sent an "emergency truck" like the poor baby asked for as she was asking him the standard 9-1-1 questions. She didn't attempt to find out if the call was an actual emergency, she ASSumed it wasn't.

If it is determined a prank 911 call is made. LE can pursue criminal charges-but that's AFTER it's determined to be a prank.
It's amazing to see the difference in this operator's decisions and the one in Florida where there was an open line and a baby on the phone. The operator dispatched emergency help to the home--just in case. At first, the officer thought it was a baby playing with the phone as his parents slept upstairs. It turns out the baby's parents were brutually murdered in their upstairs bedroom.

I haven't read the thread, but I am appalled by this operator's attitude. She should be fired and sued. A woman's life (this young boy's mother) could have been saved if she had done her job.

Amraann said:
"because of her years of service, she will not be fired" ...
What the hell does number of years of service have to do with anything??? If this were the son of a politician or wealthy individual who was ignored and the mother died, you can bet this woman would have been immediately fired. I surely hope that there is a public outrage. Bill O'Reilly is very good about getting the public involved in injustices. I wonder if he is aware of this case.

nanandjim said:
What the hell does number of years of service have to do with anything??? If this were the son of a politician or wealthy individual who was ignored and the mother died, you can bet this woman would have been immediately fired. I surely hope that there is a public outrage. Bill O'Reilly is very good about getting the public involved in injustices. I wonder if he is aware of this case.

---------->>>I only heard a snippet on TV last night missed the entire story. Is there another thread on this??

How old was the child? I heard the dispatcher chewing out blah blah, totally out of order!!!!!!!!!!!

DO THEY REALLY HAVE SUCH AN overload of prank calls in todays world??????

She should be outta there on her ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF IF she has seniority she obviously has been there so long that she LOST HER FOCUS ON WHAT HER JOB IS ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Camper said:
...How old was the child?...
I think that the little boy was 5 years old. How very, very sad that he will now not only have the trauma of not being able to save his mother's life but also have to grow up without her.

Amraann said:
Mabel, like most things the dispatchers have to prioritize. A break in or a car theft will have to wait while life and death emergencies are handled.
And in reality she did not need the police she needed paramedics.
I don't think she spent enough time on the phone to even establish if it was a prank she immediatly assumed it was..
She did not ask his name.. She did not ask his mothers name or if she had been sick..
NO effort was made on her part except to yell at him and assume it was a prank. Absolutely no compassion for that child..

I truly think whatever else happens to her that she should have to apologize to him face to face and tell him it was her fault for not believing him.
Not that it will happen...

I think she should have to see him face to face and apologize to him because she caused his mothers death. I think she should have to do this once a year for the rest of her life....so she can see firts hand what she did to this child's life...

She changed his life forever and robbed him of his mother and robbed him of the chance to save his own mother's life. This child should be with his mother today while every newspaper in town declares him a hero, he should be filled with pride knowing he did the right thing......instead he will be attending his mother's funeral and wondering in his child's mind if it was his fault and if he should have done something or said something different and it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Stupid woman.

The little boy was 5..

Nanandjim,
I don't know what the number of years of service has to do with it??
But another article I read last night (posted on page 2 of this thread I think)

Said it was not the same operator both times that the boy called ... Which makes me wonder if this is how the city trained them?
Not that its ok then.

But if it was two seperate operators and they both handles the call like that without even attempting to figure out if this was a prank or not, then I think the problem here is much larger then one incedent.

Though, IMO, both operators don't deserve to keep their jobs, the second one did, apparently, send the police out to the house...

Amraann said:
The little boy was 5..

Nanandjim,
I don't know what the number of years of service has to do with it??
But another article I read last night (posted on page 2 of this thread I think)

Said it was not the same operator both times that the boy called ... Which makes me wonder if this is how the city trained them?
Not that its ok then.

But if it was two seperate operators and they both handles the call like that without even attempting to figure out if this was a prank or not, then I think the problem here is much larger then one incedent.

I found a link through google. CNN has a video, it took a loooooooooooong time to load. and I could not get it to play, but it did have a close up picture of the dearest little boy, asking for help for his momma. The video stopped and would not play further for me.

It did say he was six. One of the most beautiful children I have ever seen, and his momma was beautiful as well.

I still do not know what her health problem was, but will be watching the news.

Unforgiveable given what the duty of the 911 operator is, and that is to SEND HELP.

Good sense was NOT at work on this call.

IF IF there are chjildish crank calls to 911 that are so prolific, the school system should be chastised as well.

Takes us tooo long to get smart.

Maybe So said:
I think she should have to see him face to face and apologize to him because she caused his mothers death. I think she should have to do this once a year for the rest of her life....so she can see firts hand what she did to this child's life...

She changed his life forever and robbed him of his mother and robbed him of the chance to save his own mother's life. This child should be with his mother today while every newspaper in town declares him a hero, he should be filled with pride knowing he did the right thing......instead he will be attending his mother's funeral and wondering in his child's mind if it was his fault and if he should have done something or said something different and it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Stupid woman.
Well-said!:clap: :clap: :clap: I totally agree!

This morning Fox is playing another 911 tape from Detroit in which a woman has been shot in the friggin' head and is calling for help and the 911 operator keeps asking her if she is a mental patient, is she crazy, etc....the woman lived but is permanently disabled....what is wrong with 911 in Detroit??????? :snooty:

It is not just what they said to him but the tone of voice they used to answer him. I cringe every time I hear the tape. That child should have been asked questions and comforted until help arrived. What a horror for a small child to have to go through! Apparently his mother had not only told him to call 911 previously but told him as she collapsed. There is no excuse for what happened. Both of the operators who talked to him should be fired. It doesn't matter how many years they have working there. How many other cases have there been that we don't know about? And even if this is the first like this (which I doubt) it is one too many and should not be excused.

englishleigh said:
This morning Fox is playing another 911 tape from Detroit in which a woman has been shot in the friggin' head and is calling for help and the 911 operator keeps asking her if she is a mental patient, is she crazy, etc....the woman lived but is permanently disabled....what is wrong with 911 in Detroit??????? :snooty:

-->Perhaps they are relatives of Roy Nagin, NO/Katrina mayor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back