Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

• Rose Harsent 1902

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Caroline Luard 1908

• George Storrs 1909

• William Taylor 1922

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Margery Wren 1930

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Julia Wallace 1931

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Evelyn Foster 1931

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Hubert Chevis 1931

• Lord Errol 1941

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Oakes 1943

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Elizabeth Short 1947

Votes: 89 47.6%
  • Shirley Collins 1953

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Marilyn Sheppard 1954

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Valery Percy 1966

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Another Please Explain

Votes: 39 20.9%

• Total voters
Oakes was also set on fire but it was postmortem.

The 21% for "Another" isn't a surprise considering the tens of thousands of potential cases.

Errol is one of the most internationally known of the cases yet it's the newest case with no votes - interesting.:dunno:

I chose another even though I am very intrigued about Elizabeth Short and who killed her. Hers was an exceptionally brutal killing, one never forgets after reading the details, poor woman. The person/s responsible I believe was a serial killer. :(

Betty Shanks

Brisbane's longest-running cold case, the 1952 Betty Shanks murder at Wilston-Grange, appears to have finally run cold.
Queensland's cold case detectives from the State Crime Command has repeatedly refused any comment on progress on the city's longest-active unsolved murder case.

Ms Shanks's body was found in the yard of a house in Thomas Street, Wilston.
She had been strangled, kicked and bashed as she was walking from the tram to her family home in Montpelier Street.
Her gold wrist watch had stopped at 9.53pm, 21 minutes after she left the Days Road tram stop.

Police have obtained "mystery DNA" from Betty Shanks's bloodied clothing and bloody handprints, presumably from the killer, which were found on the timber fence near where Ms Shanks's body was found.

Officially, police have no suspect.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ing-mystery-20120920-2695g.html#ixzz39zTYSrhN

In the early 1980's, we moved into a house two doors down from where Betty Shanks lived, and just further down on Thomas Street was where she was murdered and body found. The area looked exactly the same to the photos taken in 1952, even until the early 2000's when we moved out of the area.
I would often think of her as I walked that same path to my house from the bus stop at night. I doubt her killer will be found unless there is a death bed confession and the dna matched. :thinking:

The Shanks Case is a puzzler for sure.

Barbara & Patricia Grimes in Chicago, IL in the 1960s.

Barbara & Patricia Grimes in Chicago, IL in the 1960s.

What a interesting case, there were so many credible sightings for over a week after they had gone to the theatre, yet the autopsy report concluded they died within hours of going to the theatre. :confused: The report says they died of exposure, I'm sure they were fatally injured to be lying there naked? Such an intriguing and sad story.

I believe the Collins case has been reactivated of late.

Statistically, I bet it's less than 50%.

Since criminals tend to live shorter lives, I imagine there isn't much chance that the perpetrators in any of these cases are still alive..

Does anyone know of any still living suspect(s) for the Collins Case?

I can't think of any still living suspects for Dahlia or before. If there are, I'd be interested to hear about them.

Sheppard has more interest than I expected.

Sheppard is pretty famous...not Elizabeth Short famous, but still..

Sheppard is pretty famous...not Elizabeth Short famous, but still..

Plus it's a case that seemed to never die. Two trials while Sam was still alive and one more after his death. Although the final case was, of course, not criminal but civil.

I personally have absolutely no doubt of his guilt.

Plus it's a case that seemed to never die. Two trials while Sam was still alive and one more after his death. Although the final case was, of course, not criminal but civil.

I personally have absolutely no doubt of his guilt.

I wouldn't say that I have no doubt but I do believe that Sam most likely did it or at least had someone do it.

My vote was for other.

I've always been most haunted by the murders of Cheri Jo Bates and Georgette Bauerdorf, both of whom were lumped in with and consequently overshadowed by more sensational crimes (the Zodiac and Black Dahlia murders, respectively), even though were was plenty of evidence that they may have been separate incidents. In the Bauerdorf case, it's the crime scene photos that kill me - I really wish I'd never seen those.

I'm also fascinated by the unsolved murder of Elsie Paroubek in Chicago (1911) as well as several other local crimes here in New England that I guess wouldn't fit the parameters of "classic" but which hound me nonetheless.

Yes when a case is unsolved, there is no way to know absolutely for sure that it's a single murder. You just have to go with the best information you have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ma1love
Back