MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good night, Niner.

Big thanks to all all who helped out with tweets/updates, etc.

Clearly if the jury didn't understand how to deliberate, they didn't understand was happening during the trial. I'm just glad Jessica's murderer is going back to prison.

The problem with this jury and with the Pinellas County jury and many others, is that they have to kick off any potential jurors who READ the news, WATCH the news, or DISCUSS the news with anyone. They need people who have no clue what is going on in their communities and the world around them.

So what kind of jurors are we left with? Usually people who admittedly have no interest in their community issues or news events. People who do not read or research anything.

So you get 12 people who did not understand what it means to come to a unanimous verdict before sending in the jury form.

This jury was brought in from another county 200 mi away. They have to find jurors who can be away from their lives for 2 weeks, sequestered in a hotel. It doesn't require no knowledge of the case, but it does require the ability to put aside any opinions and judge the case based only on the evidence presented in court.

In most cases I think the jury gets it right, but in cases where there is a lot of technical evidence - like cell phone data and intricate timelines - your average jury won't be able to understand and process all the evidence.

Clearly if the jury didn't understand how to deliberate, they didn't understand was happening during the trial. I'm just glad Jessica's murderer is going back to prison.

Exactly. If they do decide to retry, they need to make sure they really dumb down the technical stuff. I think it was really just academically beyond comprehension for many/most of them, sadly :(. Some probably even just tuned it all out and assumed it was meant to just try to confuse them.

All those 'Eric' statements, state will need to find a way to get passed that IMO if they do another trial. Moving those dots, I think it was the cellphone tower data, because it matched up... not sure about that.

I could have voted guilty on this one though.

Apparently the meaning of the word "unanimous" was not understood by the jurors, or at least by the foreman who wrote the original "Not Guilty" verdict that was handed to the Judge, as borne out by the subsequent polling of the jurors by name. That speaks volumes to me about their understanding of what was presented to them during this past week. JMO

A Sad Day,
Clouseau

I hope the LA case keeps this man behind bars for a very very long time. JMO

Exactly. If they do decide to retry, they need to make sure they really dumb down the technical stuff. I think it was really just academically beyond comprehension for many/most of them, sadly :(. Some probably even just tuned it all out and assumed it was meant to just try to confuse them.

As some other WS can verify - I totally tune out all technical data when trial watching, and I'm a very well educated person. It's so tedious that I have such a hard time paying attention. That's why nice, simple visual charts are great to summarize the technical, detailed evidence.

I hope the LA case keeps this man behind bars for a very very long time. JMO
That is one bright light to this day, Tellis doesn't get to go home to his family. He's gonna be transferred back to LA.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Well, what an ordeal....I ate a whole bag of popcorn between the first send back and now. Burp. JMO

Wonder if the attorneys will make statements?

Yeah, I really don't think QT will ever see the light of day. The LA case seems pretty solid, and I do hope that MS retries him and just does a better job of explaining everything to the jury.

As I mentioned before, when they gave their opening statements and heard the first few witnesses, I thought it seemed like a very weak case and that perhaps they got the wrong guy.

I've got a feeling we'll hear from the jury on this one. Maybe the foreman was a bully, know-it-all and told the rest of them, "this is the way it works" and no matter what they said he wouldn't listen so then they finally just acquiesced?

I think they were hung early on. Maybe they were confused about sending a note to the judge?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So disappointing to not have a verdict after 3 years. I think that there are probably some people who have known what went down all this time, but snitches get stitches around those parts......I sure hope that no one terrorizes those jurors who were named and voted guilty. JMO

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 23s23 seconds ago
Replying to @bchapman_WREG3

DA says they definitely plan on retrying this case. #JessicaChambers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics