MS - Jessica Johnson, 37, found hanged, Horn Lake, 2 June 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just learned of Jessica Johnson today when I listened to True Crime Garage ; their latest podcast is about her case. There are two episodes devoted to just her story. I found it to be very, very interesting. It sucks so much that investigators did not do their job on this one - that is jmo. I'd be so angry if I were her family. If you were interested in this case check out this podcast.
^jmo,moo,imo,etc^

I just learned of Jessica Johnson today when I listened to True Crime Garage ; their latest podcast is about her case. There are two episodes devoted to just her story. I found it to be very, very interesting. It sucks so much that investigators did not do their job on this one - that is jmo. I'd be so angry if I were her family. If you were interested in this case check out this podcast.
^jmo,moo,imo,etc^

I saw the True Crime Garage podcast episodes, too.

The iTunes links are:
-part 1
True Crime Garage by TRUE CRIME GARAGE on Apple Podcasts
-part 2
True Crime Garage by TRUE CRIME GARAGE on Apple Podcasts

The links to podbean, via their website:
-part 1
Jessica Johnson /// Part 1 /// 282
-part 2
Jessica Johnson /// Part 2 /// 283

I’m listening to the podcast episodes now. This has me fascinated. How on Earth could anyone deduce that she hung herself right there like that?! I know, strange things happen all the time. I’m not buying the suicide angle. At the very least, not on a mailbox! I need to catch up reading this thread.
A question I have, do those marks on her hand look like needle marks? It looks to me like she fought. I know, I need to catch up. Going to do so now. Sorry.
jmo

I’m listening to the podcast episodes now. This has me fascinated. How on Earth could anyone deduce that she hung herself right there like that?! I know, strange things happen all the time. I’m not buying the suicide angle. At the very least, not on a mailbox! I need to catch up reading this thread.
A question I have, do those marks on her hand look like needle marks? It looks to me like she fought. I know, I need to catch up. Going to do so now. Sorry.
jmo

When people commit suicide by hanging there is indeed often a bit of a struggle that takes place - this happens because the body realizes it does not have enough air or blood flow, and so will shake and twitch in a last-ditch effort to obtain an open airway and/or remove any restrictions on the carotid arteries. Then once the nervous system starts to die, there will also be some movement of the body. BTW, I suspect she hanged herself on the mailbox so that someone would find her (she probably did not want to create problems inside the home by hanging herself there) - as well as making a statement.

Looking at the pictures it looks almost impossible to hang yourself that way. How does someone themselves a mere 2 feet off the ground?! It's just a regular mailbox not some weird tall one. And it's placed in the ground on a slope. She was on the upward part of the slope in front of the mailbox and kneeling.

Honestly... it's the most absurd so called hanging I have ever seen in my life. Who would care about not making problems IN a house and yet would want to hang themselves by the road on their mailbox to make a statement? Those two things contradict each other.

Looking at the pictures it looks almost impossible to hang yourself that way. How does someone themselves a mere 2 feet off the ground?! It's just a regular mailbox not some weird tall one. And it's placed in the ground on a slope. She was on the upward part of the slope in front of the mailbox and kneeling.

Honestly... it's the most absurd so called hanging I have ever seen in my life. Who would care about not making problems IN a house and yet would want to hang themselves by the road on their mailbox to make a statement? Those two things contradict each other.

It's actually quite common - people in prisons etc who wish to commit suicide do this all the time by simply using the leg on their bed. I believe Robin Williams did something similar when he hanged himself (a nylon belt around a part of a doorframe). When I was in law enforcement we'd see that on a regular basis (among teens especially). If you do a Google search in this regard you'll find more videos of people hanging themselves (on anything they can find) than you'd ever want to. I've seen some people hang themselves from doorknobs... I suspect Ms. Johnson not only wanted to be found, but she wanted the public -her neighbors, etc- to see her dead body. She was most likely very angry with them for some reason - this was a form of revenge for her. I don't know enough about her background, but if you research it I'm sure that's exactly what you'll find. I also believe she genuinely did not want to leave a 'history' inside that home...

On the True Crime Garage podcast, a brief theory was that she was killed elsewhere and put in the front on the mailbox as a sort of “warning”. I think they were theorizing drug dealers involved. There’s NO EVIDENCE that this is true: just a theory. I’m not so sure I buy that, just figured I’d toss it out there in the mix.

I still lean that she didn’t do it there. Could she have hanged herself inside, been found, and then was placed outside, as if she hung herself on the mailbox? Maybe they didn’t want the police to get too nosy inside the house, so they moved her? Again, there’s NO EVIDENCE that this is true. I’m just tossing out some theories.

She had a lot of meth and xanax in her system iirc. It would seem that those 2 contradict each other. Unless she took meth, got tired of being so hyper, and took xanax to chill back out a little bit. Taking too much of a barbiturate like xanax can cause you to feel really depressed and in despair. It doesn’t always react that way, and different for everyone. I had a bad experience when I was on it, and it was per my dr’s orders, not recreationally. I was fortunate that I survived and spent some time in the hospital afterwards. Perhaps the xanax tipped her over the edge. I really don’t know. Could she react ‘normally’ to the xanax while also on meth?

ALL of the above is purely JMO, of course.

She had a lot of meth and xanax in her system iirc. It would seem that those 2 contradict each other. Unless she took meth, got tired of being so hyper, and took xanax to chill back out a little bit. Taking too much of a barbiturate like xanax can cause you to feel really depressed and in despair. It doesn’t always react that way, and different for everyone. I had a bad experience when I was on it, and it was per my dr’s orders, not recreationally. I was fortunate that I survived and spent some time in the hospital afterwards. Perhaps the xanax tipped her over the edge. I really don’t know. Could she react ‘normally’ to the xanax while also on meth?

Benzodiazepines ("benzos" like Xanax, AKA alprazolam) don't interact with methamphetamines so I wouldn't expect that combination to drive a person to suicide. Often benzos are prescribed to treat anxiety or agitation, both of which meth can cause, so it really wouldn't be a bad combination. There have been studies that examined benzos like Xanax for meth users and these studies found the combination to be relatively safe (see link to one study below which concludes "methamphetamine use during alprazolam XR treatment would not pose a significant safety risk"). Physiological and subjective effects of acute intranasal methamphetamine during extended-release alprazolam maintenance. - PubMed - NCBI

Benzos like Xanax can indeed cause depression as a side effect in about 10-15 % of patients. However, the victim had a history of benzodiazepine addiction, and by all accounts she did not have a history of depressive episodes or suicidal ideation with the drug or at all, so it is unlikely that this time the Xanax suddenly drove her to suicide.

Therefore, I doubt that the drugs had anything do to with her death -- at least not on a physiological level. I suspect homicide. If she was as into her appearance as her friends and family said in the interviews -- and I have no reason to doubt them -- I can't believe she would tie herself to a mailbox on display for everyone to see without any makeup and in just a simple t-shirt and jeans. Moreover, a much easier and less painful method to kill oneself would be Xanax overdose, a drug she apparently could access very easily. Someone killed her. The way the investigation was bungled is despicable.

I just finished listening to True Crime Garage, and I believe she committed suicide. It doesn't make sense to me that someone would kill her, then string her up in that fashion, directly outside the house she was last seen at. It is entirely possible to hang yourself the way she did (in MOO), people do it with all sorts of ligatures off of doorknobs and shower rods. And, despite what was said on the podcast, the way the shoelaces were tied would make it very difficult to just stand up to stop the hanging; her neck was tied very closely to the mailbox.
My big MOO, IMO is that she was depressed (based on social media posts I have seen), and using drugs did not help this. I think the use of the mailbox was not planned and was a spur of the moment thing.

I said the same thing, my hair is always pulled out. It's just what ya do.
I have always agreed with this - it’s been a point made in the Rebecca Zahau case as well - but have a personal anecdote to add now.

I started chemo in Sept for breast cancer and my hair came out two weeks later. The whole time I’ve been bald, I still find myself going to move my hair out from under my shirt, or getting ready to flip my head over after a shower to wrap a towel around my hair. Every time. It’s just so deeply ingrained in me. I know it proves nothing in court, but it proves a lot to me.

be careful how you read into the photo regarding the purse. I believe the mail person who found her went through the purse to find ID or something, before calling police she called a co-worker. that co-worker took the picture we are all looking at.

It could honestly just be how I'm seeing the photo but the 1st thing I noticed was at the base of her neck the pale white line all the way around... almost looks like maybe the shoe laces were used...and lower on the neck?

So sorry for the family's loss I hope closure eventually gets found

I watched a youtube video about this from July 2020 and it said the final word on cause of death/manner of death was to be released by the end of the year. Are there any updates on that? I haven't been able to find anything and her name is SO common, it's hard to search.

I'm coming into this one late but as a UK Cop who is a Detective Senior Investigator and have been in attendance at many many suicide scenes, this is definitely NOT suicide. For starters there is no pressure from the ligature (shoelace) against the larynx. Furthermore I would like to know if there was 'pittichiae' present ( tiny red blood spots in her eyes ) which would prove some form of strangulation. Also when the ligature was removed, I would like to know if there was an indent of a welt that was seen that was consistent with pre and post Mortem changes to the colour of the neck. Furthermore I have been to hangings where someone has simply put a fixed ligature around their neck and simply leaned forward to cut off the air supply. In this image she is not leaning forward at all in any way shape or form so that her airway is restricted and if it was a suicidal hanging her head would be 'lolled ' forward and looking down due to the weight and natural position that an unsupported head would fall. Is it that her lead isn't in this position because the lace wouldn't be able to hold this weight of her head ?
No way is this suicide IMOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I also notice that her knees are firmly on the ground. She isn't leaning forward and she isn't hanging. There is no marks on her neck and it the shoe string doesn't seem to be digging into any part of her neck. I'm honestly appalled that they didn't investigate. I would like to know what the lividity looked like. What did her post mortem tox screen say? How did her shoes get inside? I can't say that she was murdered because there just isn't any evidence, but I agree this is not a suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back