MS - Lauren Johansen, 22, body found ‘mutilated,’ wrapped in sheets at cemetery, Harrison County, 2 July 2024 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, Bricen had a preliminary hearing this morning. His defense team requested to have a bond set for his charge of first-degree murder--the nerve of that man/his defense team. The judge denied.

New timeline details:
July 1/2: Bricen tries contacting Lauren via text message and phone more than 120 times, but she never responded.
July 2: camera footage showed that Rivers was reportedly dropped off close to the location Lauren's house in the early morning hours (please tell me it wasn't his mom...please tell me it was something like Uber)

Now this gets confusing: there was Lauren's sister and a male friend in the house. LE says the friend said that Lauren was alive between 4-6 a.m. Lauren's neighbor's surveillance camera shows Bricen walking toward the house fully closed--but at 5 am it shows him leaving the house without a shirt, then walking back towards the house. The police are trying to get cloud footage from Lauren's home surveillance camera that Bricen broke.

Shortly after Bricen goes back, the footage showed him backing out of her driveway in her car and leaving...but comes back within 10 min to get an item and leaves again. His ankle monitor info (gee, good to see it got used for something!), showed he went to a Petal River Park after he left her house with her car and stopped there for 32 min. Cadaver dogs alerted there at the park after they found vehicle carpet fibers there.

He called his brother while he was hiding in the woods from the police and told him that he had killed "the *advertiser censored*." :(

There is argument by the defense team about where Lauren was killed. They say there no proof of life can be made either before or after Rivers left Forrest County to prove that she was killed there and not in Harrison County where her body was found.

Prosecutors stated they wanted to upgrade charges: including one to capital murder. That introduces the possibility of the death penalty.

The judge moved all three of Rivers’ charges (first-degree murder, grand larceny auto, and evidence tampering) to be dealt with by a grand jury. The grand jury will determine whether the case will go to trial.

Friend drove Rivers to Laurens home, stated in the video linked below.

Friend drove Rivers to Laurens home, stated in the video linked below.

I don't know if that's better or worse than his mom driving him, tbh. Any friend of his would know EXACTLY why he had been in jail up until that week--and if they had half an ounce of brains would know that taking him in the middle of the night anywhere near the house of the woman he'd be imprisoned for severely beating was a horrible idea. Unless he magically managed to make a new friend since he got out of prison--someone who knew nothing about him, someone who didn't notice his ankle monitor, and who was totally cool with taking their new friend somewhere at 2 am and dropping the off. I really doubt that scenario.

IMHO and IANAL, the friend who drove him should be looked into (and hopefully already is being looked into) and grilled as to what exactly they knew/thought was going on. Especially because the article/video make it sound like Bricen was in that person's car while he was making the 120+ calls/texts to Lauren. So clearly the driver of that car would be able see that this "visit" wasn't going to be welcomed. From what we've been told of Bricen's temper, I'm pretty sure his anger built and boiled over with each ignored text/call and was expressed verbally and physically.

New, more precise details:

"The timeline begins a week prior to July 2, when video investigators found shows Rivers and Johansen voluntarily visiting a hotel together." Ohhhhhh, sweetheart. :( He had such control over you. :( I suspect your family thought that time+Bricen being in prison would break his hold on you...and maybe it would have if he had stayed in there longer. You shouldn't have had to leave your home/school just to make yourself safe, but I desperately wish that after he was imprisoned you had moved across the country, heck, even overseas. Seems like he wasted no time getting in contact and exerting his control right after he left the prison/ankle bracelet company.

At her house, they found 5 of the 11 security cameras on her house missing.

--3:58 am: Rivers arrived in the area and was captured on camera
--Lauren's male friend who was staying in the house said he saw her alive SOMETIME BETWEEN 4-6 am.
4 a.m.: neighbors' cameras and his ankle monitor show him walking through neighbors' yards near her house
5:11 a.m: Rivers is seen walking away from the home shirtless, then turning and running back inside
5:51 a.m., Johansen’s vehicle leaves the house. It then comes back to the house and leaves again. Investigators believe Rivers was inside the car at this time.

"The county prosecutor said, “We know Lauren was alive around 6 a.m., and Bricen left the house around 6 a.m.” According to investigators, there was no proof of life for Lauren after this time."

Then you have Bricen driving around Hattiesburg in a circuitous manner, with traffic cameras showing him driving the car but no one else visible in the car. Then he went to Petal River Park and stayed there for 32 min. When he left the park he was driving fast and erratically. We know that they said they found car fibers at that park and cadaver dogs signaled there.

It's a little less confusing, but I can't quite figure out what/how/when things happened. I swear I'm not being morbid, I'm trying to figure out what happened in relation to the charges (first degree murder, grand larceny auto, tampering with evidence):

--Did Bricen go there that night intending to kill Lauren? I don't necessarily think so--I think the fact that she ignored his 120+ calls/texts enraged him, so by the time he arrived there he was already set to go off. I have a feeling that him discovering that there was a male friend in the house was the final straw. I think that's when he started removing the security cameras.
--How did he gain access to the house/Lauren? She had a male friend staying the night (her dad believes for protection). If the friend didn't notice Lauren leaving/being taken from the house, I'm assuming he wasn't staying in her bedroom. We know Bricen took down the security camera at the front door. Did he then break in? Use a spare key? Or did he get her to let him in--knocking at her window and threatening to break it in. I think if he got her to let him in, he used the knowledge that her sister was there to manipulate her--i.e. you can let me in quietly, or I'm coming in in a way that will traumatize or even physically harm your sister. But that method only would work, IMHO if the male friend wasn't there. I lean more toward he snuck in with a key and surprised her in her room.
--What made him leave the house at 5:11 and then come running back in and staying for 41 min? He was shirtless, which makes me feel like he'd already attacked her enough to draw blood at that point. Did he turn back because he realized that even if Lauren wasn't going to call the cops on him, the male friend and sister would the minute they saw her injured? Did he decide at that point that he if he had to go back to prison, he was taking her down for good? Or was he past thinking at that point?
--It seems like the police and prosecutors think she was alive in the car when he left the house for the final time, but not visible on traffic cameras. Unconscious from extra beating after he went back in the house, then carried out to the trunk? The front door was found open the next morning. Seems like it would have been too risky to try to walk her out of the house conscious with two other people in there. I mean, it's risky to walk out of the house carrying an unconscious woman at 6 am too--maybe he brought her out the back door and the front door was left open from his entry or from when he came back to the house after pulling away to get something? If so, why didn't they add kidnapping to his charges?
--I was thrown by the cadaver dogs hitting on spot at the park that he went to right after that and spent 32 minutes at. But some reading on cadaver dogs indicated that they not only alert at smells of decomposition, they also alert at blood. Given the description of how destroyed her head was when police found her, I think his final beating that killed her happened at the park. I just don't see how he could have beat her to that level of damage back at the house without someone hearing it. I don't think he necessarily got her out of the car to do this. I think her blood was on him and fell onto the ground after the attack. Or maybe after the final attack there this is when he proceeded to wrap her up--that might explain the car fibers on the ground. I wonder if the thing he went back to her house to get after he first pulled away was garbage bags. :(
--The WDAM article states that prosecutor mentioned wanting to upgrade several of her charges, including one to capital murder. In the WLOX article, her father says “Our family believes that this is a capital murder case,” he said. “We believe there is numerous crimes he has committed in addition to the murder and I think the facts will come forward at some point."

Looking at the Mississippi code requirements for capital murder, we see
  • murdering a peace officer--NO
  • murdering while serving time for life imprisonment--NO
  • murders by using an explosive device--NO
  • murder done as a hit/contract--NO
  • murder occurring on educational property--NO
  • murdering an elected official.--NO
  • death occurs during the commission of felony child abuse or batter--NO
  • murders during the commission of one a felony (rape, burglary, kidnapping, arson, robbery, sexual battery, intercourse with any child under the age of 12; or even the attempt to commit any of these felonies)
Sadly, from what we know of his past behaviors in this relationship, I think we can pick out several of those that are likely in the bolded requirement.

I loathe him so much. I'm filled with such anger at the people and systems who were supposed to protect her and keep him from even going near her (not the male friend in the house or her sister, btw). I think more could have been done to help Lauren get out from under his coercive control (but obviously, that's a hard job and the ultimate difficult choices would have to be Lauren's)--therapy, victim's advocates, etc. This had been going on for years.

And video cameras and ankle trackers don't do a single bit of good if they aren't being actively watched/monitored. They just provide the police with evidence after something horrible has already happened. :(

This didn't have to happen. There are so many people who simply failed to do the basics of their jobs. Even the Hattiesburg police when her father reported her missing. And multiple supporters of Bricen who knew he was violating parole and did nothing to report him and helped him instead.

And yet his defense team stood up at both Friday's hearing and the one a few weeks ago to ask for bond. For a man who murdered a woman while he was out on parole for beating that woman. That man needs to never step a foot out of prison again--no bond, no parole, no early release. Life without parole.

Lauren mattered.

The judge sent all of River's charges to a grand jury. The grand jury will then decide whether the case will go to trial (I think that's a going to be a foregone conclusion). So, waiting on an announcement on the results of that before any more court dates can be set.

(BBM)
"Now, a panel of judges on Monday ruled the companies will not be suspended or terminated because they did not violate the rules.
The judges, in their order, did find a calamity of errors and negligence in this case. This included bond agents signing the order of conditions without reviewing them, and the criminal court clerk’s office not sending them over. But there will be no consequence for the bonding companies.

Brooke’s Bail Bonding said:
“We are happy to have been exonerated by the Courts of any alleged wrongdoings and look forward to continuing to work with the Courts to ensure that something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Mmm...I think it's a stretch to say that you've been exonerated of any wrongdoing. The judges listed things you did wrong...but those things you did wrong just didn't violate the rules enough by their standards, apparently. :(

I'd be really interested to know what sorts of ties and connections the two bonding companies (we already know the monitoring company was tied to one of them) has to the judicial system in that area that might have led to this little tap on the bottom for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back