Found Safe MS - Nathan Covarrubias, 14, autistic, missing from boarding school, Walnut, 29 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought the same about the size/shape of his head/face. I was thinking of Fragile X syndrome; What is Fragile X Syndrome (FXS)? | CDC
but it very rare. However ASD can be a comorbidity of FX, I think like 60% for males - don’t quote me though).
MOO.
(Side note, when I was trying to figure myself out [the oddities and whatnot], before my ASD diagnosis, I thought that I could have quite possibly had Fragile X. But learning about it was the catalyst that led me to my autism diagnosis!)
My youngest is 16 years old and autistic, learning disabilities, and sensory issues. How old were you when you got your diagnosis?? :)

My youngest is 16 years old and autistic, learning disabilities, and sensory issues. How old were you when you got your diagnosis?? :)
41!
Had I not been a female AND if Sensory Processing Disorder would have been recognized back in the early 80s, and had it been known that it was (is) a comorbidity of ASD then I would have been diagnosed LONG before age 41!!!
Male and females present much differently. And their brain scans are also different, according to a huge study done by 10 universities in the US in 2017. I’ll send you the link via PM if you want. It’s very fascinating. MOO. IMHAspieO.

I thought the same about the size/shape of his head/face. I was thinking of Fragile X syndrome; What is Fragile X Syndrome (FXS)? | CDC
but it very rare. However ASD can be a comorbidity of FX, I think like 60% for males - don’t quote me though).
MOO.
(Side note, when I was trying to figure myself out [the oddities and whatnot], before my ASD diagnosis, I thought that I could have quite possibly had Fragile X. But learning about it was the catalyst that led me to my autism diagnosis!)
41!
Had I not been a female AND if Sensory Processing Disorder would have been recognized back in the early 80s, and had it been known that it was (is) a comorbidity of ASD then I would have been diagnosed LONG before age 41!!!
Male and females present much differently. And their brain scans are also different, according to a huge study done by 10 universities in the US in 2017. I’ll send you the link via PM if you want. It’s very fascinating. MOO. IMHAspieO.
Wow, at 41 years old!! I imagine you were finally happy to find answers! Yes, you are more than welcome to send me the link! I appreciate it!! Thank you!:)

If any good comes out of Nathans ordeal it might be that eyes have been opened to further investigate this “school”. I hope we hear more about how this is handled by authorities.
Recently in my area boys “Ranch” came under investigation for abuse. I have been at this boys Ranch and you would not know by looking what was apparently going on. Link
WWSO: Dozens of boys removed from boarding school in Prescott

Resources for parents with autistic children or any a serious problem are STIL limited and it looks like we need to be more cautious to keep a close eye on the ones that we have. I am keeping Nathan‘s family in my thoughts and prayers because answers for them still haven’t been found and if anything might even be more difficult now that Nathan’s had this ordeal. JMO

So happy Nathan is found !! He had an angel with him :)
Thanks very much for sharing @UnapologeticallyAspie appreciate your posts, extremely helpful for many of us with loved ones on the spectrum.
Big Hugs ))))
Wishing Nathan all the best
You’re welcome. And thank you for your outward appreciation! ((((big hugs)))) to you too! <3

Investigation update:
Runaways, claims of 'aggression, abuse': Mississippi boys ranch operates with little oversight

"Summit's View — which describes itself as "a faith-based residential care" center for "rebellious and troubled boys" — was already under investigation by the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services before 14-year-old Nathan Covarrubias walked off the property and into Tennessee, prompting a massive search effort that involved local, state and federal authorities."

and

"Alleged incidents include handcuffing a boy to a ladder for multiple days, siccing a dog on a child and rubbing a mop used to clean up urine in a boy's face while berating him."

and this is from one of the parents

""There are times a boy needs to be restrained," she said. "If that includes cuffs, at the end of the day, putting handcuffs on at Summit's ranch is far superior to that boy being handcuffed by the police and taken to jail. For some of those boys, if that's what it takes, so be it."

I admit to not having a lot of experience in this area of mental health but if these allegations are even partially true, Nathan has guts beyond belief to escape this environment. Hoping beyond hope the remaining children get to safety.
IMO

Investigation update:
Runaways, claims of 'aggression, abuse': Mississippi boys ranch operates with little oversight

"Summit's View — which describes itself as "a faith-based residential care" center for "rebellious and troubled boys" — was already under investigation by the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services before 14-year-old Nathan Covarrubias walked off the property and into Tennessee, prompting a massive search effort that involved local, state and federal authorities."

and

"Alleged incidents include handcuffing a boy to a ladder for multiple days, siccing a dog on a child and rubbing a mop used to clean up urine in a boy's face while berating him."

and this is from one of the parents

""There are times a boy needs to be restrained," she said. "If that includes cuffs, at the end of the day, putting handcuffs on at Summit's ranch is far superior to that boy being handcuffed by the police and taken to jail. For some of those boys, if that's what it takes, so be it."

I admit to not having a lot of experience in this area of mental health but if these allegations are even partially true, Nathan has guts beyond belief to escape this environment. Hoping beyond hope the remaining children get to safety.
IMO

Also from your link ....

--
There are 10 children's homes, including Summit's View, across the state that are registered with the Mississippi Department of Health, but claim a religious exemption which allows them to operate without a license from CPS.

Broome said there are an unknown number of other children's homes in Mississippi whose names are not on file with the Health Department, allowing them to operate without any state oversight.

At "unlicensed and unregulated" facilities, Broome said, it can be difficult for allegations of abuse and neglect to reach the proper authorities. Once CPS and law enforcement begin investigating, they sometime have have trouble gaining access to children and staff members, he said.

--

I have really strong feelings about these types of facilities. No such facility should EVER be allowed to use a religious exemption to operate without a license. EVER. There needs to be strict requirements for these types of places. I know not all residential programs are bad, but the religious loopholes make it real easy for the bad ones to be bad.

Also, the owner calling himself a doctor is quite the stretch IMO. I really wish parents did more research on the staff, owners, etc, before sending their kids off to a residential facility. But I guess some parents probably wouldn't mind that the owner has his doctorate from a school like this if they are looking for a religious setting for their kid. The "doctor's" linkedin page (which has quite a few typos and grammatical errors) states he got his doctorate from this school.

Covington Theological Seminary was chartered in 1977 for the purpose of providing conservative biblical and theological training for students applying to this religious institution. Our mission is to prepare Christian leaders for Christian service. We have not nor will we seek governmental acceptance, accreditation, or funding for the effectiveness of our programs. We have maintained that posture throughout these almost fourty years and will continue to do so. Our purpose is clear; we do not seek to prepare our students for secular work or denominational service. We will seek to provide a sound theological standing from which our students may build their life and an effective Christian ministry for the glory of Jesus Christ in His church.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back