MS MS - Olive Branch, WhtFem 20-40, UP8675, smoker, nail biter, tatts, surgical scar, Jan'85 - Lorie Ann Mealer Pennell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://identifyus.org/cases/8675

Kay Docherty still hasn't been ruled out... I also just realized this Jane Doe doesn't have dental or DNA available, only fingerprints. Well than how did the 15 people on the exclusions list be ruled out?

https://identifyus.org/cases/8675

Kay Docherty still hasn't been ruled out... I also just realized this Jane Doe doesn't have dental or DNA available, only fingerprints. Well than how did the 15 people on the exclusions list be ruled out?

There are some pretty detailed physical findings for this Jane Doe including tattoos. My guess is that those findings formed the basis of the exclusions where the MP had no fingerprints on file.

I think with respect to the exclusion list, if one considers the birthdays of the missing, most are just too old to be the Olive Branch Jane Doe. For a lass in her 20's to be found in 1985, she had to be born somewhere within the 1960's. And in addition, I don't know how well equipped the local authorities were in that day to handle a murder case, DNA was in its infancy and all they had were photographs, initial observations and autopsy. I'm sure the photograph was taken in haste just to get her picture in circulation so they could perhaps find out who she was, and maybe come up with a list of suspects. Perhaps there is something unique about her, that was never told to the public. Anyone could have gotten tattoos and scars between the time they became missing and the time of body recovery, so there has to be something else.

Here's a Youtube video from Australia which delves into missing person cases. One of those cases is that of Kay and Toni. Kinda skips around, but it is a good watch. [video=youtube;-iA3qDC972c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iA3qDC972c&list=PLG1mC9Y9zRejZjonCkuXGbsYHJq177n52[/video]

not at all.

if a missing person had a surgical scar that was absent from the UID then it's an exclusion. Similarly if a MP had a butterfly tattoo on her back and no others and the UID had a rose tattoo only then it's an exclusion.

A MP with no tattoos and a UID with one or more tattoos is not an exclusion as the MP could have been inked in the interim.

I think with respect to the exclusion list, if one considers the birthdays of the missing, most are just too old to be the Olive Branch Jane Doe. For a lass in her 20's to be found in 1985, she had to be born somewhere within the 1960's. And in addition, I don't know how well equipped the local authorities were in that day to handle a murder case, DNA was in its infancy and all they had were photographs, initial observations and autopsy. I'm sure the photograph was taken in haste just to get her picture in circulation so they could perhaps find out who she was, and maybe come up with a list of suspects. Perhaps there is something unique about her, that was never told to the public. Anyone could have gotten tattoos and scars between the time they became missing and the time of body recovery, so there has to be something else.

Does anyone know when DNA was finally submitted for this UID? Just wondering how long it's been in the state of sample submitted, tests not complete.

Does anyone know when DNA was finally submitted for this UID? Just wondering how long it's been in the state of sample submitted, tests not complete.

Oh, wow. It must have been only recent! When Kay Docherty was submitted as a possible match, there was no DNA available for this Jane Doe.

I still can't figure out if someone actually submitted Melinda Creech's name, there was talk of it but I didn't read where anyone actually had.
I can understand why DNA wasn't taken originally, but there's no excuse for not having dental records and fingerprints. She was discovered fairly soon after she died. Plus the discrepancies and inconsistencies make me question the integrity of the case, poor woman.

I just saw she had fingerprints. Me bad. Sorry.

As of 07/07/2016, NamUs reads: DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

I was thinking this UP was maybe Tammy Akers. She does have a similar left lateral incisor, only it doesn't show well in the picture. I sent this possibility to NamUs. Now that DNA is available, we should start seeing more rule outs in the not too distant future.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Tammy AkersUID comparison1.jpg
    Tammy AkersUID comparison1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 177
That's really quite a resemblance and I don't see anything to rule it out--the UID has a bunch of ink and scars that Tammy didn't have, but nothing that couldn't have been acquired after she disappeared. Good find.

That's really quite a resemblance and I don't see anything to rule it out--the UID has a bunch of ink and scars that Tammy didn't have, but nothing that couldn't have been acquired after she disappeared. Good find.
Thanks, Carbuff. I hope this is Tammy. Her family has a FB page set up for her, and they seem like very nice folks. They deserve some answers and closure.

This was the reply I received about Tammy Akers: [FONT=&amp]
DNA from both were completed at the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification. There are no associations to either individual at this time.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Since when? Yesterday? Seriously? Then the rep referenced the links in NamUs to both cases, as if I hadn't checked them.
Those of you who have been waiting for DNA for this UID, what do you think?
Does this mean that DNA has been available this whole time and only updated in NamUS as being available as of last week?
Is the University of Northern Texas Center for Human Identification the same as CODIS?
When a case states DNA not available, does that mean UNT has it?
[FONT=&amp]I'm so confused at the moment, because it doesn't appear that the DNA was compared, only assumed it was based on what's in NamUs, but that was a recent update.
In my reply I pointed out that it had only been available, according to NamUs, since four days ago. Are rule outs that quick? Four days?
Hopefully someone will clue me in please. Thank you!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

At this point in time, I think UNT and CODIS are effectively the same. UNT is running the show, anyway, and they will listen to no criticism, direct or implied, about their system or its accuracy. But also, if they processed both sets of DNA at UNT, that is definitely not a match. Anything within the UNT database will have been compared.

Yes, DNA could conceivably have been available for quite some time even though the record wasn't updated, but also yes, the results would have been available pretty much right away. It's run when the record is added to the database.

DNA not[\b] available means that no sample exists, or it hasn't been located or submitted.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I'm not an expert but I'll try my best to explain.

I have not, on the whole, had good luck submitting to any of the missing persons sites. I've had the most serious answers from LE or ME in the UID's jurisdiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Carbuff. It's frustrating at times, because it seems families wait forever for answers when DNA gets submitted, and yet it doesn't seem like there was enough time to have made a rule out after only a couple of days. But, we're on the outside, looking in, and I suspected what we see doesn't always represent what's going on. I appreciate your help!

Thanks, Carbuff. It's frustrating at times, because it seems families wait forever for answers when DNA gets submitted, and yet it doesn't seem like there was enough time to have made a rule out after only a couple of days. But, we're on the outside, looking in, and I suspected what we see doesn't always represent what's going on. I appreciate your help!

Most of the very long wait times are either from paperwork (depending on each locality's procedures and requirements) and backlog at the lab. Cases are generally prioritized according to urgency (the information is needed for a court date, usually) and importance (the ambassador from Alpha Centaurii's daughter has been kidnapped and they need to find the kidnappers muy pronto). Cold cases usually fall behind everything. So every time a high profile case like Baby Bella last year in Boston gets pushed to the front, dozens of other cases have yet another delay.

But once they run the test, the database and matching part is as fast as their computer system. Depending on how they've got it set up, they could know within a couple of minutes of when a new record is added whether it matches somebody.

With respect to international candidates, potential matches for Jane/John Doe's, I have often pondered the proper etiquette to use with respect to making a report. Police in countries outside the U.S. will usually tell you to make your initial report through your local police. Though I have sensed, a reluctance on part of some American based missing person networks, a reluctance to consider missing candidates outside the US, as I am aware that ratios generally place missing people within a few hundred miles of the recovery of a Doe. While the ratio is generally accurate in most cases , it should (in my opinion) never be an absolute, particularly in older cold cases. I have tried to fine tune my searches to include the history of the era a person became missing in, as well as the history of other missing people in that search area, during that specific era or time frame. For example, if our Olive Branch Jane Doe, is indeed Kay Docherty (Australia), it would make sense that one of the factors which could have played into her being here, was the love affair America was having with all things Australian during that era. Olivia Newton John, Crocodile Dundee, to name a few, brought certain attention to Australia. It would not surprise me that criminal elements would also seek to take advantage of that, but given the photo of our Olive Branch Doe, and the reconstructed faces of two Jane Does on the coast, all of which strongly resemble three Australian women missing since 1978/79, it just seems more than circumstance, maybe one resemblance, perhaps two, but three? Given we do have Kay, Toni, and Darlene among us, had this been a new missing person case, I would probably not have made it public, save to the authorities alone, but I suppose in the end, if it turns out not to be them, at least we get face recognition, but if it is, we take them home. I am sure if we had three daughters of Mississippi in some foreign land, which had been missing for a long time, we would expect no less than to have them back among us....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23
Back