MS MS - Pascagoula, Wht/HispMale 25-36, UP4735, may be from TX, scars, tattoos: 'John', bird, Jun'01

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Alright, I think I found a match. Like always, I don't share the name until it might be confirmed or ruled out. He does not have a tattoo and he was last known to be alive on June 17...but this may or may not be inaccurate, not entirely sure.

I think the guy who killed him died recently. Not sure.

Okay, so Steven Andrews did recently die. BUT, I’m not convinced that he killed this John Doe.

Andrews plead guilty to manslaughter, but it was a reduced charge from capital murder. And he only did it after spending 4 years in jail awaiting trial. The Sun Herald reported at the time that he maintained his innocence and plead guilty only to ensure that one day he could be reunited with his family.

He did admit to bragging about the killing, but said he did it to impress someone while he was intoxicated. The additional evidence against him seems shaky on it’s own: eye witnesses that say they saw the blankets from around the body also at Andrew’s home at one time?

Finally, convicted felon and Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd was bending the rules to maintain his “No Unsolved Homicides Record.” Ken McClenic, who was on the John Doe/ Andrews case, was fired and convicted of perjury for conflicting testimony and lying under oath for the sheriff in this regard.

http://media.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/other/Mike Byrd indictment.pdf

Ex-Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd sentenced

The case mentioned in Byrd’s indictment, Jennifer Haire, is a woman whose body was dumped in the same location as John’s and found just 6 months before he was. I’ve just opened a cold case thread for her. Here:

MS - Jennifer Haire, 20, Pascagoula, 20 December 2000

Victim just identified: John “Johnnie” Allen Gallegos, born April 12, 1966.

Is this Steven Leon Andrews, who died in 2020, the same man who pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter some years later for the crime? He’s the right age and is from Mississippi:

Victim just identified: John “Johnnie” Allen Gallegos, born April 12, 1966.

Is this Steven Leon Andrews, who died in 2020, the same man who pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter some years later for the crime? He’s the right age and is from Mississippi:

Steven Andrews has to be a very common name.

Steven Andrews has to be a very common name.
Steven Leon Andrews, the exact right age, born in Pascagoula, MS? Note, the Steven Leon Andrews who was convicted claimed innocence and said he only plead to manslaughter to be able to be free from prison someday. I have not looked at the details of the case to have an opinion whether he was or wasn’t guilty.

The Othram post states " DNA samples were collected from the carpet and blanket, leading to a breakthrough in August 2004, when 26-year-old Steven Leon Andrews was arrested and charged with capital murder in connection with the case."

However, in this Associated Press article from 2004, Sgt. Ken McClenic says that investigators generated the new leads that led to Andrew's arrest.

Sgt. McClenic was caught up in Sheriff Mike Byrd's “No Unsolved Homicides” campaign. Arresting people so that they looked like they were solving cases that were actually unsolved. And after the indictment he was fired for perjury.

Sgt. McClenic was caught up in Sheriff Mike Byrd's “No Unsolved Homicides” campaign. Arresting people so that they looked like they were solving cases that were actually unsolved. And after the indictment he was fired for perjury.
Actually, I'd like to clarify or expand maybe. Sgt McClenic said that he was caught up in the Sheriff's "No Unsolved Homicides" campaign, but given that he has lied under oath. I don't know what to believe. It sounds like Sheriff Byrd and possibly the whole department was a mess back then. Beyond this there were many other charges for additional coverups, sexual harassment, extortion, fraud, and more.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ND84
Back