MS - Rasheem Carter, 25, called mom said life in danger, Smith County, scattered remains found in 2022 and 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Honestly, my first impression while reading this case was that it was a psychotic/manic break. It might just be my medical background, but at first it really sounds like that and frankly this impression was even further amplified by the trail cam image.

But this is not to say that it might not have been a horrible crime. While the first option is statistically more likely, it does not mean that it was the case here. The forensic evidence is crucial here to understand how his body ended up in the state that it was - and I don't have that information.

In any case, it warrants a decent investigation. But I would not jump to "lynching" without any factual supporting evidence. There might as well be some, but so far the autopsy part seems to be a mess.

Rasheem Carter’s family releases independent autopsy results

Still can't find an actual autopsy, but I am convinced that this man is the victim of a crime.

JMO

EBM to add that the article says
"His head was severed from his body."

Same here. At the least, even if it is (by small chance IMO) a mental break, the police did him an extreme disservice by turning him away THREE TIMES (phone once, in person twice). I could MAYBE see them brushing it off if some homeless person keeps coming in and bothering them. But a random frightened young man? Why didn’t they at least call mental health services or a hospital?

Hmmm. Not the same county (but not far away) in Mississippi but could it indicate a similar mindset in the general area?

"Six White former law enforcement officers in Mississippi who called themselves the "Goon Squad" have pleaded guilty over a racist assault on two Black men who were brutalized during a home raid that ended with an officer shooting one man in the mouth, federal prosecutors say. The civil rights charges were unsealed Thursday as the officers — five former Rankin County sheriff's deputies and an ex-Richland police officer — appeared in federal court and pleaded guilty."

Eta: Google map showing distance between this assault (Braxton, MS) to Taylorsville, MS (Rasheem's location). Approximately 40 miles.
Shared route
From Braxton, Mississippi 39044 to Taylorsville, Mississippi 39168 via US 49 S and MS-28 E.

43 min (38 mi)

“She said that she and her family have contacted the Mississippi Medical Examiner’s Office, which received the remains for an autopsy. However, despite making multiple attempts to contact them, they have not received a response about what happened to her son.

The mother also said she has not received all of her son’s remains, adding to the trauma of his death and the open wound left by the family not getting any answers or closure.”

To this day, authorities have not determined a cause of death for the 25-year-old.

Smith County Sheriff Joel Houston says the case has since been turned over to MBI and the FBI.

There have yet to be any new developments or findings in this case at this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back