Identified! MT - Marion, WhtMale 18-49, UP13963, MJ Pipe, Pistol, Poker Game, Oct'03 - Steven Edward Gooch

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I havent considered any circumstances, but he does resemble a man I saw that went missing from Canada.
Canada's Missing | Case detailsView attachment 263160
That is an incredible resemblance, but the circumstances don't immediately seem to match up.

"On the evening of October 30, 1998, at about midnight, Just was last seen walking home with some friends after a Devil's Night party.
On the way home, Jake decided to take a trail through the woods. His friend continued along the street and the two were to meet up at the point where the trail exited to the street. He was drinking heavily and was intoxicated.

Although a marsh and quicksand were near the wooded trail, searchers could find no physical evidence to suggest that Jake, or anyone, had traveled near these areas in the days prior to Jake's disappearance. Despite an eight day search, no physical evidence linking back to Jake was found.
When Jake entered the wooded area, he was carrying a knapsack. It has not been recovered.
There were hundreds of potential witnesses interviewed and numerous tips were follow up on."

The Doe Network: Case File 3394DMON

e30555b0a37cdceec81e.jpeg
Original

I ran the clay recon through artbreeder and I think he looks more familiar.

And what about Brian Lee Barrett. Sorry, I don't know how to put photos here for comparison.

Brian Lee Barrett – The Charley Project
  • brian_lee_barrett_1.jpg
Barrett, circa 1995
  • 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 167 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Barrett has a scar on his forehead, a scar on his right knee and a tattoo on his upper right arm.''

I was wondering about hair. This is probably a ridiculous question, but like with Brian, would him having really long hair increase the chances of them finding any hair on skeletal remains? As opposed to it being short or absent. If that makes sense.

I havent considered any circumstances, but he does resemble a man I saw that went missing from Canada.
Canada's Missing | Case detailsView attachment 263160

They look shockingly similar have you submitted a rule-out??

Also... did the hunters definitely find the gun in the bag?? I initially thought it was obviously a suicide and he fell over the cliff but if the gun was in the bag.... Are there crime scene photos anywhere?

“Not long after the discovery of the body, a man called the sheriff’s office to report that he had found an abandoned vehicle near Red Gate Road years earlier. The man recalled that the property owner had the vehicle towed to the county landfill. Authorities looked for records of the vehicle’s disposal but were unable to come up with additional information.”

Who is Cliff Doe?

It’s too bad they don’t know the make or model of the vehicle. That could be a good clue to identifying him.

I was wondering about hair. This is probably a ridiculous question, but like with Brian, would him having really long hair increase the chances of them finding any hair on skeletal remains? As opposed to it being short or absent. If that makes sense.

Interesting question, I have read a recent post of the artist who made a reconstruction of Clinton John Doe, somebody asked her how did she decided that his hair were long. Now I can not find this post any longer. And it is not mentioned in the case of Cliff Doe what is his hair color/length.

Montana 'John Doe' may be tied to families in TN, KY | wbir.com

"An unidentified man whose remains were found in Montana 17 years ago may have ties to East Tennessee, and those working to find out who he is are asking for help with a DNA match."

"We're not talking parents, more like second cousins several generations back.

They think his lineage could be linked to families or ancestors in Harlan County, Kentucky with the last names Saylor, Helton, Brock or Blanton.

He may also be related to families or ancestors in Hancock County, Tennessee with the last names Greene, Epperson, Seales or Trent."

Does anyone have a theory as to circumstances of his death? The hole in his skull implies a connection with the pistol at the top of the cliff. But if someone shot him, why would the pistol be placed in a bag and left at the scene?

Suicide? Again, how would the gun get back in the bag? Is it possible that the bag is a red herring, and the gun was on top of it? So, he shot himself, the gun fell from his hand, and he fell off the cliff? (I didn’t notice if it was a sheer enough cliff for that scenario to be possible.)

I have a theory and it revolves around the MP I suggested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-013626_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-013626_Facebook.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 55
It’s a pity DDP no longer makes updates on their facebook page about family names :( I think seeing the names can encourage some potential relatives to opt-in. I have noticed that there are a few new comments under Flathead John Doe post, but this is an old post, it is difficult to find it.

Hello, I’m new here but I’ve lurked here before. I find the potential genealogical ties to the central Appalachian Region fascinating in this case.

I believe that Richard Roy Billmayer could be a potential match for Cliff/Flathead Doe. I am by no means a professional, but there do seem to be some notable similarities.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The few sources that are available online list Ogden, Utah as being the last known location of Richard Roy Billmayer. In the Flathead Doe case the last known owner of the doe’s firearm has been traced to Sandy, Utah. Both of these cities are in the Salt Lake City area and it would seem likely, though only speculative, that Flathead Doe would have had some connection to Utah to obtain the firearm.

Here is where things get interesting. Using Ancestry.com to search Richard Roy Billmayer reveals that he likely spent most of his life in or around the Flathead County, Montana area. Information on the website also shows that his family had likely resided in the area around Flathead County Montana for several generations. I also managed to find that some third-degree and distant generational relatives within Billmayer’s family tree could be traced to parts of East Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southwest Virginia. While none of these relative’s surnames matched the given potential Harlan County, KY or Hancock County, TN surnames, it does show that Billmayer has a distant genealogical connection to the central Appalachian region.

I also want to add that Richard Roy Billmayer, by all accounts that I can find, had been missing for around 11 years before he was even officially reported missing.

I want to again specify that I am not a genealogist, certainly not a professional, and the information that I have provided could still only be merely coincidental. However, I believe that Richard Roy Billmayer is worth looking at as a potential match for the Flathead County Doe.

Hello, I’m new here but I’ve lurked here before. I find the potential genealogical ties to the central Appalachian Region fascinating in this case.

I believe that Richard Roy Billmayer could be a potential match for Cliff/Flathead Doe. I am by no means a professional, but there do seem to be some notable similarities.

The few sources that are available online list Ogden, Utah as being the last known location of Richard Roy Billmayer. In the Flathead Doe case the last known owner of the doe’s firearm has been traced to Sandy, Utah. Both of these cities are in the Salt Lake City area and it would seem likely, though only speculative, that Flathead Doe would have had some connection to Utah to obtain the firearm.

Here is where things get interesting. Using Ancestry.com to search Richard Roy Billmayer reveals that he likely spent most of his life in or around the Flathead County, Montana area. Information on the website also shows that his family had likely resided in the area around Flathead County Montana for several generations. I also managed to find that some third-degree and distant generational relatives within Billmayer’s family tree could be traced to parts of East Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southwest Virginia. While none of these relative’s surnames matched the given potential Harlan County, KY or Hancock County, TN surnames, it does show that Billmayer has a distant genealogical connection to the central Appalachian region.

I also want to add that Richard Roy Billmayer, by all accounts that I can find, had been missing for around 11 years before he was even officially reported missing.

I want to again specify that I am not a genealogist, certainly not a professional, and the information that I have provided could still only be merely coincidental. However, I believe that Richard Roy Billmayer is worth looking at as a potential match for the Flathead County Doe.
Welcome to Ws Wesq#1, thanks for the very interesting and informative post!
Richard Roy Billmayer – The Charley Project

• richard_roy_billmayer_1.jpg
''Billmayer, circa 1997
  • Missing Since 01/01/1997
  • Missing From Ogden, Utah
  • 47 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 165 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. He has several tattoos on both arms.''

Welcome! And thanks for putting so much effort into researching this possible match. Very thorough. I think you should submit this for further review.

In case you haven’t submitted in the past, here is the most convenient way I’ve found. You may also feel comfortable contacting law enforcement or the appropriate agency for either case. Hope this helps!

Potential Match Submission To Panel

Thanks for the recommendation. I could not find the Flathead County Doe listed on the Doe Network’s site to use as a reference on the submission sheet. I emailed a representative at NAMUS for now. I was not really sure how else to proceed. I personally would prefer a 3rd party assess my information before recommending it as a match to LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaastrichtDetective
Back