Found Deceased MT - Megan Stedman, 34, suspicious circumstances, assoc with 1973 tan motorhome w/WA plate, Bozeman/Livingston area, 15 Dec 2023*arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is a huge problem in Montana right now, with unhoused people who find a place to live, an old RV, and then, they have problems finding a place to park it and live. They live on using various types of towing services, like AAA, Good Sam's and alternate services each month, so they get tows, without anyone realizing that the RV doesn't run.

Not sure this was her situation, but it sounds similar. Sad that she found the wrong person. I wonder where the RV is...probably sold to a Pick and Pull for cash.
I doubt the police have released the RV yet. It sounds like it is a crime scene.

Thankful for the person who saw and reported the motorhome. He probably would have torched it eventually and all that evidence would have been lost. My thoughts are with Megan's loved ones.

@Megnut - I could list 10 cases I've followed in the last two weeks, where a woman was killed by her SO. It seems to happen more and more frequently. Why? Intimate Partner Violence (DV) programs, education, & help have made some good strides - but it's not enough :(
The perpetrators are not taking part in these programs, education, and help. Abusers need to be made to participate in programs specific to Domestic Violence vs just Anger Management. And, IMO prosecution of cases likely drag through the court system. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on her dog?
From this article, “It’s unknown what happened to the dog featured on the poster.”

This article shows the trailer being towed away. I so wish the outcome was different.

MTN News reached out to the Bonneville County Coroner's Office in Idaho; they said were unable to comment when asked if Stedman's body was found at the scene, saying the incident is still under investigation.

We spoke with Samantha Fillabach, a coworker of Megan, who says her coworkers knew her pretty well during the months she worked at Town Pump in Livingston.

“She lived in the RV for some time. She worked here, always had a smile on her face,” says Fillabach.

Fillabcah mentioned that several of Megan’s coworkers were trying to help her out because they say they were aware she was being abused.

Court documents show Foiles was charged with partner/family member assault on Nov. 27, 2023 and has three prior domestic assault convictions. The Nov. 27 charges stem from an alleged incident on Nov. 11, 2023 where Megan Stedman was the victim.

Stedman told law enforcement that she was "extremely fearful" of Foiles and said he had made threats toward her, according to court documents.

While there is a glimmer of hope that somehow Stedman is alive, her family is almost certain that’s not the case; they said the woman hasn’t contacted anyone since before December 15, including her two kids, which they say is incredibly unlike their social and extroverted sister.

“Her daughter turned 15 on the tenth, there’s no way she’s here,” Mitma said.

“She would never leave her kids, not for a minute,” Adrian Mitma, Stedman’s older brother, said.

The missing woman’s family also said Montana was not their sister’s final destination, rather an unfortunate pitstop.

Stedman’s siblings say she was on her way to see her daughter in Colorado when her car broke down in Bozeman over the summer – fast-forward to now, that unplanned pitstop, took a potentially deadly turn after meeting Foiles.

“She was trying to get out. I know she wanted a better end, I know she was trying to get to her daughter,” Mitma said.

According to police, more solid, confirmed information is expected to be released on Tuesday regarding Stedman’s disappearance.

MTN News has obtained arrest records from the Idaho Falls Police Department (IFPD) that reveal Chris Foiles, who was arrested in Idaho Falls on January 12, 2024, admitted to police that he murdered Megan Ashley Stedman, who had been reported missing from the Bozeman/Livingston area in December 2023.

When officers made contact with him, Foiles allegedly said, "I am Chris Foiles, I killed my girlfriend, she is in the RV."

When officers searched the motorhome, they found a woman's body with credit cards in the name of Megan Stedman and a tattoo matching the description of one worn by Stedman.

Foiles allegedly waived his Miranda rights during an interview with law enforcement and said the body in the motorhome was Stedman's.

More at link.

“My sister was a beautiful, Black, strong woman, and I want people to know that,” said Megan’s sister, Christina Mitma Momono. “She’s not just a woman, she’s a beautiful, Black, strong queen. We’re going to honor all of her.”
megan stedman 011824.jpg

According to Washington news station KHQ, Stedman was originally from Spokane and was the mother of two kids.
Megan Stedman Poster

Montana law enforcement were informed and obtained a search warrant for the RV and began traveling to Idaho Falls. IFPD detectives set up unmarked vehicles to conduct surveillance on the RV.

Eventually, a sergeant and a detective from IFPD saw Foiles leaving the RV and contacted him. He reportedly told officers, “I am Chris Foiles. I killed my girlfriend. She is in the RV.”

[...]
Chris Brandon Foiles, 42, was indicted by a grand jury on one count of first-degree murder, an enhancement for using a deadly weapon, and one count of destroying evidence. His original charge, which was filed on Jan. 16, of felony first-degree murder, was dismissed and replaced with the grand jury indictment.

Foiles, originally from Moscow, appeared nearly emotionless in court as his attorneys, public defenders Jim Archibald and John Thomas, stood beside him, agreeing their client would continue to be held without bail.

According to the indictment, Foiles willfully and with premeditation, killed Megan Ashley Stedman with a knife.

It also states Foiles “did willfully destroy parts of a human body, knowing that the body parts were about to be produced, used or discovered as evidence.”

Foiles is expected to appear in court on Feb. 1 for his District Court arraignment. If convicted, he could face the death penalty or life in prison.
[...]

Police in Montana and Idaho now believe Stedman was murdered in Bozeman and not Idaho, which was previously believed.

65e65524b9c1e.image.png

The release said initial statements made by Foiles and Idaho case law, which creates a legal presumption that the murder occurred where the body was found, led to Foiles being charged in Idaho after his arrest on January 12, 2024.

“The discovery of Ms. Stedman’s body and the interview of Mr. Foiles was only the beginning of the investigation,” Neal stated in the release. “A thorough investigation is being conducted cooperatively between detectives from the Idaho Falls Police, Bonneville County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Bozeman Police and the Montana State University Police.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtbag
Back