MT MT - Meghan Rouns, 27, horseback riding, horse found, phone found in saddlebag, McMaster Hills Rec Area, NE of Helena, 4 Oct 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My heart breaks as we wait for news of Meghan. I also know if this turns out like it seems (horrible accident), she was completely terrified and simultaneously tormented by the fact that her horse was also terrified and similarly tormented. (But that may just be me anthropomorphizing.) My heart aches but I also believe she has lived life to it's fullest doing what she loved.

New info this article from The US Sun

A snippet (Bold by me):

Lewis and County Sheriff Leo Dutton told The U.S. Sun a search crew located Rouns' horse up the hill from Hauser Lake on Saturday.

Rouns' cell phone and a tracker were also uncovered in a saddle bag.

Dutton told The U.S. Sun that search efforts are being prioritized on the lake, where they believe Rouns may have fallen due to strong winds reported in the area on October 4.

"We believe something happened that spooked the horse to get it into the waters. We just don't know what yet," Dutton told The U.S. Sun.

The sheriff said investigators have ruled out foul play as a possible factor in Rouns' disappearance.

"Her horse was found just up the hill from the lake, so this has become our primary area to search from the evidence we have gathered," Willy Wegner, the operations lieutenant of Lewis and Clark County Search and Rescue, told NBC affiliate KTVH-TV.
If the track is accurate, it's amazing what detail there is. This path in green displays a horseman's "discussion" with a horse not wanting to go forward to an obstacle, like a riverbank:

Screenshot (29).png

The pair wasn't blown into the river if you asked me. The horse was asked repeatedly until it responded by stepping or leaping in. The leap could have unseated RM and things snowballed from there?

This is the exact pattern a novice horse will take when introducing it to a ditch crossing or water obstacle.

"...Rouns may have fallen due to strong winds reported in the area on October 4."
strong winds? this is new.
trying to picture how a strong wind could precipitate a fall.
They both fell in the water, from the shore possibly, as opposed to being in the water on purpose to cool off?
A large branch falling could have spooked the horse.

Nothing much new here. It's from late yesterday. A couple of small tidbits...

The Sheriff said that it's possible that she is in the river....not necessarily, but possible.

Her snapchat image was of her with the river in the background.

Her family, including her husband and father, and friends were gathered in the parking lot near the command center. Her father was the family spokesperson.

There was no comment about who found the horse or specifically where. It was just stated that it was found "early Saturday".
Sorry to quote my own post, but it's too late to edit it.
I forgot to include one other minor point mentioned in the article. It said that she didn't normally ride alone, but she did on Friday. :(

That AllTrails route shows a lot of track in the water. Maybe she came off and the horse just wandered around in shallow water before getting back out?

1728341203403.png

If the track is accurate, it's amazing what detail there is. This path in green displays a horseman's "discussion" with a horse not wanting to go forward to an obstacle, like a riverbank:

View attachment 536217

The pair wasn't blown into the river if you asked me. The horse was asked repeatedly until it responded by stepping or leaping in. The leap could have unseated RM and things snowballed from there?

This is the exact pattern a novice horse will take when introducing it to a ditch crossing or water obstacle.

Around here -- adjacent state -- our lakes and rivers aren't at the same size all year, pretty dramatically. Snowmelt season vs. end of summer. Right now, I could be roaming the shoreline of the river, perfectly dry, and on All Trails I'd look like I was so far out I had to be kayaking or swimming. Same spot in May, I'd be in over my head. I don't know if that's the case there, but it's possible on the app. I'm sure the locals there can tell the difference from the map though.
You just put my thoughts into words as I was wondering how much drought or flooding can affect the accuracy of where water really is.

This from the link Missing woman's phone & horse found - cops reveal she sent photo after vanishing

"Lewis and County Sheriff Leo Dutton told The U.S. Sun a search crew located Rouns' horse up the hill from Hauser Lake on Saturday.

Rouns' cell phone and a tracker were also uncovered in a saddle bag."

Search crew found the horse.
The first we've read about a tracker. Unfortunate that it wasn't on her person.

""

Horses don't really like swimming and most don't do it voluntarily. The horse's saddle was on which tells me she wasn't trying to swim in deep water anyway....she wouldn't want to drench her saddle...and she would have a bathing suit with her....it's just not that common to swim with a horse and highly unlikely. I think she was wading around in circles ...not over horse's legs.... until something happened and the horse bounded out without her. Maybe something spooky blew into the water, maybe water touched its belly, etc.

Her cellphone and tracker were found in the horse's pack. So, she had put her phone in the bag, I can easily understand this. But it surprises me that she also took off her tracker and put that away.

I often may put my phone in my bag, so it doesn't distract me. But my Fitbit alerts me if I get a call or text.

Her cellphone and tracker were found in the horse's pack. So, she had put her phone in the bag, I can easily understand this. But it surprises me that she also took off her tracker and put that away.

I often may put my phone in my bag, so it doesn't distract me. But my Fitbit alerts me if I get a call or text.
I think am thinking her "tracker" is an apple airtag - AirTag

It's so small she could have put it in her pants pocket, boots, sports bra, anywhere actually. We put ours in our luggage when we travel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back