Mt REDOUBT, Alaska, about to BLOW

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have some catching up to do... been in bed with a upper chest infection. (some people bring back tans from Hawaii, I brought back the sickies). I'm curious to find out if there have been any atmospheric feed back reports, since the eruption. That much ash being pumped into the atmosphere surely has had some kind of effect by now...

I have some catching up to do... been in bed with a upper chest infection. (some people bring back tans from Hawaii, I brought back the sickies). I'm curious to find out if there have been any atmospheric feed back reports, since the eruption. That much ash being pumped into the atmosphere surely has had some kind of effect by now...

Great to see you Sweetie pie, and am so sorry you've got a bug. Hope you get well real soon.

Our mountain, she has been busy today - 3 explosions, one ash cloud topping 51,000', one 43,000' and then don't know. Karen the geologist was right on about how active the volcano could still be after the main explosions.

Hey Elphaba, you and our mountain have something quite personal in like tonight. . . . . . SORE THROATS :D:D Great to see you xox

Elphaba. What I have learned is the ash is pretty rough looking, like sharp and thinker that what St Helen's pumped out. It is heavier too I think and could see it doing allot of damage to skin, lungs, plants, engines, etc

I have lost track of how many times it has blown. I think most of the eruptions have had plumes around 50,000', and tho they say the ash is considered 'light' in the amount of it, each explosion just pumps more out. Tonight the ash cloud is traveling NNE, yesterday South - it's goin' everywhere. xox

Check out this site if you really wanna see how many quakes we get and where they are happening....

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/recenteqs/index.html

Hi Jaysee, Do you live anywhere in the wind drift pattern of Redoubt? Oh, tell us what the buzz is there and how the locals are taking all these dern eruptions. I am getting worried now, as she doesn't seem to want to stop erupting :D:D:D:D:D

Hi Jaysee, Do you live anywhere in the wind drift pattern of Redoubt? Oh, tell us what the buzz is there and how the locals are taking all these dern eruptions. I am getting worried now, as she doesn't seem to want to stop erupting :D:D:D:D:D

I'm in Anchorage... we have gotten a light dusting of ash but nothing more yet... I really wish she would calm down for at least a day or so, so my daughter and granddaughter could fly back home! (they have been stuck in Minneapolis since Thursday) All flights into and out of Anchorage have been cancelled because of the ash being in the travel path. Nortwest Airlines has a special flight set up for this morning to try and bring them all home... I'm thinking it might be cancelled again since there were two explosive eruptions after I went to bed last night. But I still have hope that just maybe they will make it home today... And now I read that 20 minutes ago a steady seismic signal began... so who knows...

Other than that life is normal in the Anchorage Bowl area. If we got ash it would mostly just slow us down for a day or two if that... If we get a big dump, we'll all stay home from work until it settles... We have been under a ashfall advisory off and on for the last week.

Thanks Scandi, I am hanging in there... I'm at the "whining" stage of this bug, so it means if I am well enough to whine, I am on the mend. :)

With Redoubt pumping pretty thick ash high into the atmosphere, it means it is being spread across the northern hemisphere. On my flight back from Hawaii I noticed in the sky at the night/day terminating line, instead of the usual fading blue part, it had taken on a slightish hue of green. It wasn't bright or anything, but the color was not the usual color you see at that terminating point... which made me ponder if the greenish part was due to Redoubt ash slowing sifting into the atmosphere. (Remember, last year, Alaskan volcano Kasatochi pumped dust in the atmosphere causing awesome atmospheric anomalies seen well into the southern states)

I'm in Anchorage... we have gotten a light dusting of ash but nothing more yet... I really wish she would calm down for at least a day or so, so my daughter and granddaughter could fly back home! (they have been stuck in Minneapolis since Thursday) All flights into and out of Anchorage have been cancelled because of the ash being in the travel path. Nortwest Airlines has a special flight set up for this morning to try and bring them all home... I'm thinking it might be cancelled again since there were two explosive eruptions after I went to bed last night. But I still have hope that just maybe they will make it home today... And now I read that 20 minutes ago a steady seismic signal began... so who knows...

Other than that life is normal in the Anchorage Bowl area. If we got ash it would mostly just slow us down for a day or two if that... If we get a big dump, we'll all stay home from work until it settles... We have been under a ashfall advisory off and on for the last week.

Jaysee, I hope they get home soon and their flight is a safe one. Keep us updated!

Volcano tip for the week: PBS's Nature series is running an updated documentary on Kilauea (the volcano I have hiked, photographed and was at last week in Hawaii) It's not Redoubt and very different from the kind of volcano Redoubt is, but the tools used are the same and the science is worth understanding, because it applies both ways...

Dramatic Image Shows Volcano's Lightning

For the first time, scientists have been able to “see” and trace lightning inside a plume of ash spewing from an actively erupting volcano.

When Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano began rumbling back to life in January, a team of researchers scrambled to set up a system called a Lightning Mapping Array that would be able to peer through the dust and gas of any eruption that occurred to the lightning storm happening within. Lightning is known to flash in the tumultuous clouds belched out during volcanic eruptions.

The lightning produced when Redoubt finally erupted on March 22 was "prolific," said physicist Paul Krehbiel of New Mexico Tech. Check out the image.

"The lightning activity was as strong or stronger than we have seen in large Midwestern thunderstorms," Krehbiel said. "The radio frequency noise was so strong and continuous that people living in the area would not have been able to watch broadcast VHF television stations."

http://www.livescience.com/environment/090408-volcano-lightning.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back