Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's an excellent theory. It's quite a coincidence that her attacker had a hoodie and she was found with a hoodie. It's entirely possible she wore the hoodie when she knew she was on camera.

I'm confident LE will be able to sort this all out.

jmo

JMO, but I think they've sorted out. At least whether it was homicide or suicide. Maybe not the why and other details, but the cause of death.

I wonder if they are waiting on certain tests or reports. Or maybe giving the family the weekend?

Her family has planned a memorial for Saturday. Maybe LE wants to allow them to grieve and remember her before they release anything else? I have already seen posts on social media vilifying her and calling her evil for putting her family through this. If LE released definitive evidence this was all faked to commit suicide, her family will suffer even more by having to see the heartless comments people will make about their lost loved one. JMO. My heart goes out to them. They are living a nightmare no matter how Rita actually died.

Her family has planned a memorial for Saturday. Maybe LE wants to allow them to grieve and remember her before they release anything else? I have already seen posts on social media vilifying her and calling her evil for putting her family through this. If LE released definitive evidence this was all faked to commit suicide, her family will suffer even more by having to see the heartless comments people will make about their lost loved one. JMO. My heart goes out to them. They are living a nightmare no matter how Rita actually died.

That makes me very, very sad.

Rita was in pain and she was in need of help. LE tried to help her, and if they thought she was suicidal instead of a carjacking victim, they still would rush to her aid and help.

I do not think Rita meant to hurt her family, but what if she did? Why would anyone then turn on the family and pile on more pain? What's the sense of that?!?

I hope they have a support system and I hope they unplug the internet.

jmo

That's true but maybe he didn't want anyone to know he had stolen the vehicle. If he left her there then they would have a BOLO on her vehicle.

You don't have to tell me about suicide. Happy people really don't commit suicide. They aren't happy. They may pretend to be happy.

I think it's a common misconception that someone suffering from depression is constantly sad. I have suffered from it but I still had happy moments mixed in.

Some new details here: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...s-question-womans-kidnapping-report/90117736/

Gregory described the case as a death investigation, not specifically a homicide.

“We are looking at all options,” said Gregory, adding, “We deal in facts not in speculation.”

Sheriff Leo Dutton of Lewis and Clark County in Montana, where Maze reported she was taken, said nothing is being ruled out.

“It does have some odd characteristics that we still need to completely explore,” Dutton said of the case.

A warrant filed in Spokane County Superior Court Thursday to search Maze’s vehicle provided additional details in the case.

Deputies with the Spokane Sheriff’s Office located Maze’s vehicle at 12:36 a.m. Pacific Standard Time Wednesday.

“The vehicle appeared to be unoccupied with the keys in the ignition and a female purse in the front seat,” the search warrant says.

At 1:19 a.m., deputies located blood on the ground near the vehicle, then located Maze’s body in the trunk and called for medics.

Maze was pronounced dead on the scene at 1:37 a.m.

The area was searched but nobody else was found.

Spokane County Sheriff’s Office investigators found $50 in cash, a folding knife and two semi-automatic 9 mm pistol magazines in Maze’s purse.

In the trunk, a Ruger LC9, which is a 9 mm pistol, was discovered, including the magazine and a bullet in the chamber.

Two shell casings were found in the trunk — one by Maze’s left arm and one by her right arm.

A flip cell phone, a blue hoodie and keys and a key fob for locking and unlocking cars or homes also were found in the trunk. The warrant does not specify what kind of keys they were.

New quotes and new details BBM. It was previously reported the gun Rita owned was a 9mm Ruger so it seems pretty clear now this was her own weapon. The key fob found in the trunk is pretty interesting if it was an extra one for the car she was in (could be for another vehicle though).

ETA: It is good to finally see exact times and the time ZONE they are using in the report. I think the different time zones really messed with some of the reporting of event times and has led to more confusion.

Quoting myself and bringing this post forward for those asking about the hoodie and what else they found. The Great Falls Tribune had the most detailed report I have seen yet.

Tilli how many bullets are in a ruger magazine? There were two magazines in the car and one in the trunk plus two shell casings. Why would she have been armed to the hilt? Was she expecting to be in a shootout? JMO

Tilli how many bullets are in a ruger magazine? There were two magazines in the car and one in the trunk plus two shell casings. Why would she have been armed to the hilt? Was she expecting to be in a shootout? JMO

For the model she had, the standard size is 7 rounds:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LC9
I do really wonder what was up since it sounds like she was providing accurate information as to where she was while this went on for many hours, which doing that put her at risk of LE spotting the car. It wasn't like she parked at that industrial area and faked it from there the whole time. Once LE had found the car on the road - which it sounds like they could have as they were actively tracking the pings - the ruse would have been over.

I'm not tilli but I know how to google so I thought I would answer:
The ruger LC9 seems to hold 7 or 9 rounds depending on if you have an extended magazine. I'm not sure why she had so much ammo, but the gun was relatively small. Dimensions and other specs are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LC9
Perhaps she frequently went to the practice range to shoot her gun. Most gun owners that I know target shoot regularly to keep their gun maintained (a gun that has not been fired for a long time is less safe/more likely to jam) and to make sure they are well-practiced in handling their weapon in case they need to use it. JMO.

ETA: Oops, Spanishinquisition posted the same info. sorry.

Couple other questions...

What were the temps in Montana on the day of the abduction?
Here in the south, temps are still in the 90s and a person probably wouldn't survive very long in a trunk. It would be similar to a child left in a hot car.

Wouldn't the abductor hear her on her phone? I wouldn't think most car-jackers would be okay with their hostage talking to family and LE while driving them them in the trunk.

Lastly, when the family and LE spoke to her, I wonder if she sounds like she was in an enclosed space like a trunk, like with her body squished up.

bbm

I hope the link works, but according to Weather Underground the max temp in Wolf Creek Tuesday was 69F.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=59648&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

For the model she had, the standard size is 7 rounds:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LC9
I do really wonder what was up since it sounds like she was providing accurate information as to where she was while this went on for many hours, which doing that put her at risk of LE spotting the car. It wasn't like she parked at that industrial area and faked it from there the whole time. Once LE had found the car on the road - which it sounds like they could have as they were actively tracking the pings - the ruse would have been over.

Maybe that's why she didn't call home until 10pm at night. She wasn't giving any information about where she was during the day, and when she did call. she said she didn't know where she was.

Once LE was making contact with her and figuring out where she was, she shot herself. I think she worked it out so that they wouldn't find her until she was dead, but also that they could find her quickly.

jmopinion

Maybe that's why she didn't call home until 10pm at night. She wasn't giving any information about where she was during the day, and when she did call. she said she didn't know where she was.

Once LE was making contact with her and figuring out where she was, she shot herself. I think she worked it out so that they wouldn't find her until she was dead, but also that they could find her quickly.

jmopinion

It is just so sad. LE found her 5 minutes after they heard gunshots on the phone. She seemingly died minutes before they arrived on the scene.

I'm with you! We all must have the strangest search histories on our computers.

Gardener 1850 is right. 7 in regular magazine, 9 with extender. IDK why she had that many, I would never carry that much with me. Gardener suggested having them for target practice so maybe that's why. I do my target practicing at home.

It's been years since I've had a gun in the car but back then, the gun and ammunition had to be in separate places. Wonder if she had a CCP.

IF this was a suicide

If, all of this was a ruse to her loved ones, what a messed up person Rita was.

Not just messed up, but coniving to the utmost.

<mod snip>

If true.

Gardener 1850 is right. 7 in regular magazine, 9 with extender. IDK why she had that many, I would never carry that much with me. Gardener suggested having them for target practice so maybe that's why. I do my target practicing at home.

It's been years since I've had a gun in the car but back then, the gun and ammunition had to be in separate places. Wonder if she had a CCP.

I recall reading that her daughter said Rita did have a concealed carry permit.

I don't have a link, just my memory.

jmo

FWIW, her daughter said on the Nancy Grace interview that she kept the gun under the front seat. Some media have reported it was kept in her purse but I think that is due to confusion about what a magazine is--They see ".9mm semi automatic..." and think "gun" before reading it all. Just on this thread several people thought the report was saying she had 3 guns. Anyway, my point is if her daughter was correct about where she kept her gun then she kept it under her front seat and extra ammunition in her purse. That would be separate.

jmopinion

But for what purpose - why would someone want to drive hundreds of miles across multiple states when she could have just as well killed herself in Helena? It's not like she was driving to a beautiful destination, but instead ended in the trunk of a car in an industrial area, so she could have done something similar in Helena where LE would find her quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee