Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some interesting related links:
Suicide often not preceded by warnings
What makes a loving husband take his life without any warning?
'Overwhelmed' mom spent THREE DAYS driving around with her children before committing suicide in a Target parking lot leaving them unharmed (source)
Gary Speed's father gives his most candid interview about his battle to understand his son's death (source)
Death of Bill Sparkman (wikipedia)

A case with some interesting similarities:
Kelowna woman's body found in Columbia River in Washington State (cbcnews)

If it was suicide (I'm not saying it was), the most similar case that comes to mind is that police officer at Fox Lake, Illinois. That event happened in early September, 2015. There is apparently a phenomenon called the Werther effect, where a highly publicized event, including suicide, is copied by others. However Rita life doesn't seem to have ANY similarities to that officer.

absolutely....they either got a guy for it already in jail, or it was a very obvious suicide.....too bad they won't tell us who bought gas with her credit card.....

If it was suicide (I'm not saying it was), the most similar case that comes to mind is that police officer at Fox Lake, Illinois. That event happened in early September, 2015. There is apparently a phenomenon called the Werther effect, where a highly publicized event, including suicide, is copied by others. However Rita life doesn't seem to have ANY similarities to that officer.

No but fake abductions and suicides staged to look like homicides happen all the time.

The only thing I think Rita at Lt. G have in common is bullet entry location. He was a piece of work and she (afaik) was a nice, upstanding family woman.

No but fake abductions and suicides staged to look like homicides happen all the time.

The only thing I think Rita at Lt. G have in common is bullet entry location. He was a piece of work and she (afaik) was a nice, upstanding family woman.

Yeah, I was trying to establish that suicides out of the blue, for seemingly no reason, happen all the time. One of those articles I cited says 1 in 20, so that's about 2000 per year in the US. Also, most suicides happen at middle age, around 50 years old, so that fits as well. Less likely for females, though.

Lt. Charles Gliniewicz was not one of those cases, since he had clear motive.

absolutely....they either got a guy for it already in jail, or it was a very obvious suicide.....too bad they won't tell us who bought gas with her credit card.....

Yeah, it's frustrating as heck that they won't release any details. They're waiting for test results. Meanwhile, they're sitting on a ton of information.

The Spokane police chief would ONLY say "there is NO danger to the public" (on the evening news KREM right after her body was discovered), if they caught the ONLY perp (or there was absolute proof that there was no perp). Logic...not opinion.
No danger to the public could also mean they think she was specifically targeted (as in a hit, maybe?), And therefore the public at large may not be at risk. I have seen LE use this verbiage in that scenario. Fwiw, I've said from day one that I thought this was a suicide. No proof of course , just my opinion. I think she was going through some kind of turmoil to concoct this. I feel very sad for her.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Cheryl DeBoer case had a similar information flow from LE. Messaging around no risk to public safety, total silence on case progression after awhile, etc. I'm open to any outcome and uncertain of what happened, but we do have precedent for LEs communication style in a recent suicide case.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was trying to establish that suicides out of the blue, for seemingly no reason, happen all the time. One of those articles I cited says 1 in 20, so that's about 2000 per year in the US. Also, most suicides happen at middle age, around 50 years old, so that fits as well. Less likely for females, though.

Lt. Charles Gliniewicz was not one of those cases, since he had clear motive.

I posted a link under another case (Cheryl D.) that turned out to be suicide that stated female suicides for this age group was the fastest growing. I also remember he case of Craig Hutchinson, another LEO, who committed suicide recently under very similar circumstances as Lt. Joe G. These are just two recent ones that I can think of.

Checking for updates. IMO it just feels like suicide to me, or maybe attempted suicide that went badly. I can't say I pray I'm wrong, because regardless this family has lost a loved one. For me it's just a vibe - the call being placed to family, not 911, the hours and hours of driving before any call was made..

I don't know.

Rita is in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder, if it DOES turn out to be self inflicted, would LE even tell the public? Or does this just Gallup off into the sunset? (On the one hand, I would absolutely understand it if they did, on the other hand, I want to know what happened).

I wonder, if it DOES turn out to be self inflicted, would LE even tell the public? Or does this just Gallup off into the sunset? (On the one hand, I would absolutely understand it if they did, on the other hand, I want to know what happened).

I'm sure they will tell the public.

Death certificates are public information anyway, so it's not like they could keep it a secret.

jmo

I'm sure they will tell the public.

Death certificates are public information anyway, so it's not like they could keep it a secret.

jmo
True, I guess I wasn't clear on my post though. What I meant to say was that I don't think LE would announce it. It seems to me that when a case turns out to be a suicide, LE makes no further comments. So I was wondering if that's what would happen.

True, I guess I wasn't clear on my post though. What I meant to say was that I don't think LE would announce it. It seems to me that when a case turns out to be a suicide, LE makes no further comments. So I was wondering if that's what would happen.

A few cases I've followed -

James Kimsey - I think they ruled it as suicide or suspected it was suicide but it was impossible to tell.
Jennifer Huston - missing, suicide announced after she was found (including the method)
A missing student in Ohio* - can't remember his name right now but after the search they gave all the details about where he was found and how he did it.
Cheryl DeBoer - missing, found in culvert, ruled a suicide announced by the ME
Jacob Marberger - missing, found deceased, declared suicide (I think by LE, but maybe his school?)
Lisa Cox - missing, found dead, last time I checked the PD said it was a presumed suicide.

Oh man. There's a lot of sadness and grief in that list. (But I think that's part of the reason we're all here, isn't? To bear witness and remember the victims.)

So I think they'll make an announcement in this case when they find out. I'm sure it will be devastating for her family. So many unanswered questions and grief. My heart breaks for all of them. And Rita, of course.

*I feel so bad about forgetting his name. :( He was one of the first cases I followed here.

A few cases I've followed -

James Kimsey - I think they ruled it as suicide or suspected it was suicide but it was impossible to tell.
Jennifer Huston - missing, suicide announced after she was found (including the method)
A missing student in Ohio* - can't remember his name right now but after the search they gave all the details about where he was found and how he did it.
Cheryl DeBoer - missing, found in culvert, ruled a suicide announced by the ME
Jacob Marberger - missing, found deceased, declared suicide (I think by LE, but maybe his school?)
Lisa Cox - missing, found dead, last time I checked the PD said it was a presumed suicide.

Oh man. There's a lot of sadness and grief in that list. (But I think that's part of the reason we're all here, isn't? To bear witness and remember the victims.)

So I think they'll make an announcement in this case when they find out. I'm sure it will be devastating for her family. So many unanswered questions and grief. My heart breaks for all of them. And Rita, of course.

*I feel so bad about forgetting his name. :( He was one of the first cases I followed here.
Lots of info there. Thank you Blue.
If this is the case then my thoughts on this already being determined a suicide don't really work.

In Cheryl's case I remember thinking at the time that if this poor woman was thinking clearly, she wouldn't have let her family go through all of the additional suffering of a potential homicide. But then, I'm sure if she was thinking clearly she might still be with her family.

Lots of info there. Thank you Blue.
If this is the case then my thoughts on this already being determined a suicide don't really work.

In Cheryl's case I remember thinking at the time that if this poor woman was thinking clearly, she wouldn't have let her family go through all of the additional suffering of a potential homicide. But then, I'm sure if she was thinking clearly she might still be with her family.

Her case shocked me. Even more than Rita's.

* It was Brogan Dulle - he was a student at the University of Cincinnati. I can't believe I forgot his name. I cried when they found him.

For me it was Justin McKinnon blomme. Age 21. Calgary. He was missing for about 6 mos. Foul play was suspected. They found him a few miles from home. He had climbed high into a gigantic evergreen tree in the front yard of someone's home and hung himself. People passed him daily, yet no one looked up. It devastated me.

Her case shocked me. Even more than Rita's.

I'm still conflicted over both Cheryl & Rita's cases. At first I thought both were homicides, then after reading all the opinions here I thought 'well, maybe it was a suicide'. But then again, what do I know.....? I'm still perplexed with both cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503
Back