Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JAN 23, 2020
Preliminary autopsy report: Selena Not Afraid died of hypothermia
[...]

Big Horn County Attorney Jay Harris said in a news release that the preliminary results did not indicate physical injuries consistent with an assault or physical abuse.

Winburn said there were no signs of the body being moved to the spot it was found. Harris' office is investigating Not Afraid's death as a possible criminal matter.

[...]

The autopsy was conducted by Montana's chief medical examiner, Dr. Robert Kurtzman, at the Montana Crime Lab in Billings.

I'm trying to find something someone posted. I should have saved it.
It was *Rules for Girls* which was a list about sticking together and avoiding certain specific things when out and about.
Does anyone remember this?

Last edited:
Who exactly accepted care of the juvenile & then abandoned said juvenile in dangerous conditions?

When I lived in Billings I told the Scout leader NOT to drop my kid off at home, but at the babysitters, should the event get canceled by the blizzard. I told him two separate times. He didn't even pull up to the house but to the end of the street. My tribal neighbors saw it and took my kid in while I was at work. Communication matters. Everyone matters.

A lot of people on her main FB page aren't buying her dying from hypothermia. Some even't don't think that that could happen because it wasn't freezing out or because it was only 50 degrees that day. But we know it can. I'm sitting on the fence because someone or something caused her to run off away from the van and the rest stop. Maybe there was a physical fight and she fell and hit her head or whatever and she just got up and ran away and they just stopped chasing her because the van started or just left her alone. She could have just passed out and froze. Maybe the other girl that was left at the rest stop with her was the one she was fighting with and the van just left them both. I don't think she was just drunk, ran out into the desert, and layed down and died. She might have died from hypothermia but I still think foul play was involved no matter what.

JAN 23, 2020
Update: Crow chairman asks Montana AG to investigate Selena Not Afraid death; preliminary autopsy shows hypothermia killed her
Update 5:23 p.m. Crow Tribal Chairman A.J. Not Afraid announced Thursday that he is asking Montana Attorney General Tim Fox's office to assist in the investigation of the death of his niece Selena Not Afraid of Hardin.

"Selena's death, and the unsolved cases of so many other missing and murdered indigenous people, can no longer be the result of segregated resources and divided communities. A unified approach amongst our communities is long overdue- and it may be the only wasy to keep our children safe," Not Afraid said in a statement.

[...]

Here is A.J. Not Afraid's full statement:

Last edited:
Kelch, along with her friend Taylor Rydberg, organized the vigil. Kelch's significant other was a family member of Not Afraid's.

"Look at this community come together in the loss of Selena Not Afraid. This is a very devastating tragedy. Us Native men, women, and children go unnoticed, forgotten, not even looked at, talked about, put down. We’re human just like everybody else. And we deserve a voice," Kelch said.

Kelch and Taylor still have questions surrounding the investigation into Not Afraid's death.

“I mean, there’s no way that she went missing that close to where she was found. And she was found 20 days later when there were so many people looking for her, family friends day and night,” Rydberg said.

"They didn't give up," Kelch added. "And how she just appeared is just..."

“We could just use a lot of extra prayers for Jackie (Big Hair, Not Afraid's mother) and the family and extended family, the Not Afraids, everybody," Kelch said.
Investigation continues into the death of Hardin teen Selena Not Afraid

A lot of people on her main FB page aren't buying her dying from hypothermia. Some even't don't think that that could happen because it wasn't freezing out or because it was only 50 degrees that day. But we know it can. I'm sitting on the fence because someone or something caused her to run off away from the van and the rest stop. Maybe there was a physical fight and she fell and hit her head or whatever and she just got up and ran away and they just stopped chasing her because the van started or just left her alone. She could have just passed out and froze. Maybe the other girl that was left at the rest stop with her was the one she was fighting with and the van just left them both. I don't think she was just drunk, ran out into the desert, and layed down and died. She might have died from hypothermia but I still think foul play was involved no matter what.
Update: Crow chairman asks Montana AG to investigate Selena Not Afraid death; preliminary autopsy shows hypothermia killed her
County Attorney Jay Harris said in a news release that the preliminary results did not indicate physical injuries consistent with an assault or physical abuse.

Winburn said there were no signs of the body being moved to the spot it was found.

Selena Not Afraid died from hypothermia, autopsy shows
...and the autopsy discovered no evidence of violence, Winburn said.

"No broken bones, no bullet wounds, and no violence to her body," he said.

Last edited:
Funeral arrangements for Selena Not Afraid are:
Visitation 5-8 Friday and Saturday @ Dahl Funeral Chapel, 10 Yellowstone Ave, Billings, Montana
Funeral Service 11 a.m. Sunday January 26th @ Hardin High School
Interment @Fairview Cemetery, Co. Road 215 near intersection of Co. Road 155, Hardin, Montana
Paid notices
Note: She will be with her brother and sisters:
Zoey Cheryl “Alakooliichish, Has a Good Home” Not...
Preston David “Fortunate of Riding Bulls” Bell...
Tristen Janray Marie “Cedar Woman” Gray...

JAN 23, 2020
Update 5:23 p.m. Crow Tribal Chairman A.J. Not Afraid announced Thursday that he is asking Montana Attorney General Tim Fox's office to assist in the investigation of the death of his niece Selena Not Afraid of Hardin.
<snipped for focus>

Does this mean that the MT AG's office will be assisting the Big Horn County Attorney?

Does this mean that the MT AG's office will be assisting the Big Horn County Attorney?
No. Montana Attorney General Tim Fox is from Hardin, Montana. He and Chairman A.J. Not Afraid are old acquaintances. Under the Montana structure, the County Attorney does answer directly to the Attorney General, but it is very rare indeed for an Attorney General to intervene in a case at the local level. It doesn't hurt to ask, though. IMO

I believe that's what they're asking. Yes.

The sheriff's office is the lead investigating agency however, Big Horn County Attorney Jay Harris requested evidence from the sheriff's office be handed over to him.

The attorney's office would pursue any provable criminal activities surrounding the circumstances of Selena's disappearance, Harris said.

Crow Chairman calls on Montana attorney general to help investigate teen's death

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back