Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case is so heartbreaking -I can't imagine how traumatic it has been for her family and friends. While I'm still catching up on this thread, the amount of dedicated work on this thread archiving and establishing the details is so great to see here.

Has anyone heard any follow-up on her toxicology report? Hopefully there might be additional information that could help narrow down the theories as to what happened to Selena. I'm sure others have raised the idea, but I've wondered if she was not necessarily intoxicated but incapacitated by a drug at the party or on the drive back.

Kendall Rae just did a video today on Selena and mentioned the tox wasn’t out yet.

Attachments

• 061820.Lanterns.honor.twins.bday.JPG
    061820.Lanterns.honor.twins.bday.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
When this case first came out, it was mentioned that another girl was also let out the car to use the rest room, i cant remember if she also was found but alive or did she make it back to the van in time?
The (adult) woman who got out of the van was at the rest area when the driver's relative arrived to pick her and Selena up. The woman is the one who told officers that Selena walked off into the field.

Hardin teen's disappearance looking 'suspicious' as search continues

Federal MMIP cold case office opens in Billings

Aug 6, 2020

A federal office meant to solve cold cases in Indian Country opened Thursday in Billings, one of seven across the nation meant to address missing and murdered Indigenous people.

The cold case office is the third to open under the Operation Lady Justice Task Force, a federal MMIP task force that was created by President Donald Trump in November 2019 to address the disproportionately high rates of missing Indigenous people.

Cold case offices opened in Minnesota and Rapid City, South Dakota; and four more will be established in New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Tennessee.

The office in Billings will be staffed by newly appointed special agents with the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office of Justice Services, along with the FBI and tribal law enforcement agencies.

The glaring issue that is underlying here, is, as usual, living in a very rural area where small town rez politics takes over. I doubt that there will ever be any charges. Because if Selena's family pushed for them, which they could, they would literally be pariahs in the tribe. Sad.

NOV 30, 2020
Cheryl Horn became MMIW activist after Selena Not Afraid went missing (greatfallstribune.com)
Cheryl Horn says she's "part of a club you don't want to be in."

Her niece Selena Not Afraid, 16, was one of many Indigenous women who went missing last year.

[...]

Because of jurisdiction issues among law enforcement agencies, cases involving missing or murdered Indigenous women often go unsolved, a crisis so prevalent it has its own acronym, MMIW

[...]

Horn fields phone calls, texts and Facebook messages from strangers every day.

But they aren't contacting her to help with Selena's case anymore; now, they ask Horn for advice.

[...]

"My phone rings on weekends, I answer it. My phone rings at 2 a.m., I answer it. My phone rings with a caller from Virginia, and I don't know anyone from Virginia, but I will always answer it," she said.

[...]

But Horn doesn't just give advice -- she acts on it.

She once hopped on a bus to make sure a girl who had escaped trafficking made it home safely.

[...]

Horn once got a tip from a young man. He thought he might have information on a missing person.

"I told him, 'I don't want to know your name. I'm not a cop. I just want the info you have,'" she said, adding she reported the tip to law enforcement.

[...]

"I have all this knowledge; it's ugly knowledge. But how can I not pass it down to help these families? It's needed," she said. "We are our own support. We are a group, a growing family."

[...]

FINALLY! It has happened. Unfortunately it will be a slap on the wrist, and none of the others have been charged. YET.

Investigation ongoing into Selena Not Afraid's death one year later

In August of 2020 the Montana Department of Justice assigned two agents from their Department of Criminal Investigation to look into the death of 16-year-old Selena Not Afraid.

Since then, they've finished up part of their investigation and handed some of it off to the Billings City Attorney's office.

On Dec. 23, the attorney's office charged 20-year-old Diandra Pitman with endangering the welfare of children.

Court documents state Pitman invited Selena to a house party on Dec. 31, 2019 with the intended purpose of drinking alcohol.

Pitman said she passed out at some point the next day and when she woke up, Selena was gone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KariGirl
Back