Found Deceased MT- Tatum Morrell, 23, West Fork Trailhead, Carbon Co, 1 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To any more experienced hiker/backpacker:
What do you read into the fact that her tent was apparently left still assembled? Would a person do that if her plan was to do a day hike, basically, and return back to the same spot? Or does that indicate that she left for a shorter trip, such as to go cut kindling or take a picture of the sunrise, with plans to return soon? Or maybe it doesn't tell us anything at all?
I would assume that was her “ base camp” and she was hiking with a day pack, planning to return to camp each night. I like having my gear with me because you never know when you may need it, and I don’t trust people. I’d hate to return to camp late to find my shelter is gone.

I’d say it’s totally normal when peak-bagging to set up a site as a base camp and head out for trail clusters each day. Taking a smaller summit pack to the top rather than breaking camp every morning and carrying the whole load. Not sure about the rules where she is but in some places there’s a limit to the number of night you can be idle. I think 3 nights is typical, then you gotta move on.

Tatum Morell
Missing NPF

Missing From
Custer Gallatin National Forest

Significant Locations
West Fork Trailhead
Investigative Entities
Red Lodge Search and Rescue
Carbon County Sheriff's Office

Initial Report
According to NBC Montana, MISSOULA, Mont. — Carbon County authorities are searching for a hiker missing in the Custer Gallatin National Forest who has not been heard from since last Thursday. Red Lodge Search and Rescue and the Carbon County Sheriff's Office are working to locate 23-year-old Tatum Morell. Morell set out on the West Fork Trailhead on the afternoon of July 1. That evening she checked in with her mother using an InReach device. Authorities say Morrell is an experienced hiker and had planned on hiking to the top of five peaks in the area. She has an orange and grey tent set up in the Shadow Lake area. Anyone who has seen Morell is asked to contact the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office at 406-446-1234.

Custer Gallatin National Forest

Park Description
Located in south central, southeastern Montana and northwestern South Dakota the seven districts that make up the Custer Gallatin National Forest are rich in cultural and ecological diversity. The Forest stretches from rugged high-country of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, the Gallatin Crest and vast portions of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem to the rolling landscapes and buttes of far southeastern Montana and northwestern South Dakota on the Ashland and Sioux Ranger Districts.

West Fork Trailhead

Last Location:
5G94+C8 Red Lodge, Montana

I’d say it’s totally normal when peak-bagging to set up a site as a base camp and head out for trail clusters each day. Taking a smaller summit pack to the top rather than breaking camp every morning and carrying the whole load. Not sure about the rules where she is but in some places there’s a limit to the number of night you can be idle. I think 3 nights is typical, then you gotta move on.

I believe 16 days is the max in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. I’m a local and familiar with the area- I cannot imagine bringing all of my gear when peak bagging. I agree it’s totally normal to take a daypack and leave the rest of the gear at basecamp. I’ve never heard of anyone returning to camp and finding their gear stolen. It would require a very ambitious thief considering Tatum’s basecamp is over 8 miles from the West Fork trailhead. I suspect she fell and was too badly injured (or worse) to use her Garmin InReach or it was damaged in the fall. It’s very concerning that it hasn’t been turned on since the text to her mom on July 1.

@Montanafesto I was talking to my daughter and her friends about this very situation today, they all go to MSU. They felt that camping "alone" is okay at a campground, with lots of people around. But not camping alone backcountry. Their opinions? Is that she ran into the wrong person.

This link has a lot of information about the area.

Beartooth Range : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

@Montanafesto I was talking to my daughter and her friends about this very situation today, they all go to MSU. They felt that camping "alone" is okay at a campground, with lots of people around. But not camping alone backcountry. Their opinions? Is that she ran into the wrong person.

SBM BBM
Thanks for the idea. Interesting. I don't think I've heard of that happening in real life.

Israel keyes. He killed Meredith Emerson who was hiking in GA. I am forever haunted by that and knowing about it has most definitely scared me out of many solo hikes which is a shame.

We had quite a discussion about this, and agreed, as I posted earlier, staying on trails closer to town, seem safer. Well used trails. Just as fun. Just as "alone", but usually there are plenty of folks around.

They hike Bridger, Big Sky. Once, my daughter's car had problems around Big Sky, Gallatin Gateway, no cell service, three guys picked her up, and actually knew her Dad. They drove her all of the way into Bozeman. She said she felt okay with "old geezers".

But, those are areas that are well traveled. Not isolated.

I believe 16 days is the max in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. I’m a local and familiar with the area- I cannot imagine bringing all of my gear when peak bagging. I agree it’s totally normal to take a daypack and leave the rest of the gear at basecamp. I’ve never heard of anyone returning to camp and finding their gear stolen. It would require a very ambitious thief considering Tatum’s basecamp is over 8 miles from the West Fork trailhead. I suspect she fell and was too badly injured (or worse) to use her Garmin InReach or it was damaged in the fall. It’s very concerning that it hasn’t been turned on since the text to her mom on July 1.

Good, informative post, @Montanafesto! My thoughts from the start -- a fall or slip, etc., and apparently the Garmin couldn't or didn't work or she couldn't get to it for some reason. By this time, it seems that it's gotta be a disabling injury or foul play. Hoping I am wrong...
And one more thing:

Welcome to Websleuths,
Montanafesto !!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members