Found Deceased MT- Tatum Morrell, 23, West Fork Trailhead, Carbon Co, 1 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

doodles1211

Reaction score
upload_2021-7-7_9-12-1.pngupload_2021-7-7_9-12-14.png
Authorities in Montana are searching for a 23-year-old woman who set off for a hike in the mountains last Thursday and has been missing ever since.

Tatum Morrell hiked out on the West Fork Trailhead the afternoon of July 1, the Carbon County Sheriff’s office said. The trailhead is located in southcentral Montana, near the Wyoming border.

Morrell was last heard from at about 8 p.m. Thursday when she checked in with her mom using an InReach device, the sheriff’s office said.

Morrell is an avid hiker and was planning to hike to the top of five mounta in peaks in the area. She had an orange and grey tent set up in the Shadow Lake area.

Red Lodge Search and Rescue is assisting the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office in the search for Morrell.

Authorities are asking anyone who might have seen her while out hiking or has information on the matter to contact the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office at 406-446-1234.

Fox News has reached out to the sheriff’s department which said there are no further updates at this time.

Tatum Morrell missing for 5 days after she went hiking in Montana - Reporter Door

Because hiking alone is a meditation, it's de-stressing, it's wonderful.

Since people go missing in urban environments while apparently on simple errands (alone), sometimes I think no one should go anywhere by themselves (which is absurd). Anyway, all my life, I've liked to do things alone and while I wouldn't try to do 5 mountain peaks alone, I sure would have wanted to when I was the age of this young woman.

I did indeed hike alone at her age, and had good friends who also did so, one of them hiked the entire John Muir alone (she was really intrepid) and another hiked 400 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail.

But it has its risks, for sure, and where she was hiking, there's a possibility of grizzly bears. A woman was killed by a grizzly in another part of Montana in the last few days:

Woman killed by grizzly bear while camping in Montana

Hiking at all in grizzly country is not something I'd do.

Tatum is missing in an area not too far from Red Lodge, and apparently there are lots of people hiking out there right now - and she has an InReach device. It's very concerning that she hasn't used it in a week.

Since people go missing in urban environments while apparently on simple errands (alone), sometimes I think no one should go anywhere by themselves (which is absurd). Anyway, all my life, I've liked to do things alone and while I wouldn't try to do 5 mountain peaks alone, I sure would have wanted to when I was the age of this young woman.

I did indeed hike alone at her age, and had good friends who also did so, one of them hiked the entire John Muir alone (she was really intrepid) and another hiked 400 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail.

But it has its risks, for sure, and where she was hiking, there's a possibility of grizzly bears. A woman was killed by a grizzly in another part of Montana in the last few days:

Tatum is missing in an area not too far from Red Lodge, and apparently there are lots of people hiking out there right now - and she has an InReach device. It's very concerning that she hasn't used it in a week.

Times have changed. Montana has changed. There are some people here now...I used to hike alone here, 25, 30 years ago. But, not now. Especially around Billings. Red Lodge...

Helena, Bozeman, Glacier, probably better areas. My own opinion.

I have to raise my usual obvious chant again about this one -- It doesn't look good. (d'oh)
I was an only child, so I'm used to, and I don't mind, doing lotsa things by myself, but... not hiking, not walking on trails or in the woods, etc., etc. I'd love to do it, but I've seen too many bad things happen, especially to women who are alone. SMH. It shouldn't be this way, but, dammit, it is.
A disabling attack doesn't take a lot of effort. and then a woman's body is found.
The hiker could have fallen, etc., and badly injured her leg, head, etc. If so, surely she will be found.
Hoping she's in a good safe place relaxing and reading a book in a cozy little niche, and that she will return healthy and uninjured.

Last edited:
She did have connection to the outside world. Multiple MSM articles cite use of a Garmin InReach, used to share location and updates. She used it to message her mom at 8pm on July 1st.

That I Reach seems awesome.

Echoing @borndem. However I bet it is also very spiritual to hike alone.

They said it is a heavily trafficked trail. So here's hoping Tatum maybe lost her device? Pretty girl with a lovely name. Fierce too. Please be found safe soon.

Experienced Idaho hiker, 23, missing in Montana mountains | ktvb.com

According to Red Lodge Fire Search and Rescue, Morell is believed to have left her camp at Shadow Lake Friday morning and set out to ascend one of the peaks, but did not return to her campsite. Her last communication was made to her mother in Ketchum via a satellite communicator on Thursday night.

The terrain is very rugged and technical, slowing ground crews. Searchers are currently focusing on Sundance, Bowback, Castle and Whitetail Mountains, which feature "car-sized boulders, scree and snowfields," according to Red Lodge Fire. Helicopter crews have been flying over the region since Sunday night, using visual, infrared cameras, cell phone tracking and Recco tracking in an attempt to locate Morell.

Morell, an Idaho native, is an engineering graduate student at Montana State University in Bozeman. Authorities say the expedition was her first trip into the Beartooth Mountains, but that she is an avid hiker with experience in similar terrain, and had previously successfully completed a similar trip in Gallatin County during which she climbed five peaks in five days.

She did have connection to the outside world. Multiple MSM articles cite use of a Garmin InReach, used to share location and updates. She used it to message her mom at 8pm on July 1st.

Does anyone know if this device is also a GPS beacon, which works without the person actively using it?

Honestly, I’m not even sure I’m asking the right question.

If Tatum’s device needed her to use it for it to be on or active, then that’s not the same as a GPS tracker, is it?

It's believed that Morell left her campsite at Shadow Lake on July 2 to climb one of the peaks in the area and did not return, according to Red Lodge Fire Rescue. Ground teams on Wednesday searched the routes Morell may have climbed, focusing on Sundance, Bowback, Castle and Whitetail mountains. Helicopters crews from the National Guard and Two Bear Air searched the area Sunday night through Tuesday evening using infrared camera, cell phone tracking and Recoo tracking, and ground crews searched the area of her camp.

Red Lodge Search and Rescue and the Carbon County Sheriff's Office were joined by rescue teams statewide and from Wyoming, including the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office, Gallatin County Search and Rescue, Big Horn County Search and Rescue, Park County Wyoming Search and Rescue, U.S. Forest Service, three search dog teams and three helicopters, according to Red Lodge Fire Rescue.

As of June 17, there were 189 active missing persons cases in Montana. Of those, 60, or 32%, were listed as Indigenous, though Native Americans comprise 6.7% of Montana's population. Two Indigenous people recently went missing on the Blackfeet Reservation. Arden Pepion, 3, was last seen on April 22, and Leo Wagner, 26, was last seen on April 27. Search efforts for both individuals have since been scaled back.

23-year-old hiker Tatum Morell still missing in Beartooth Mountains

If I understand, day 1 of her planned hike was July 1st. She probably hiked in to set up camp, eat & sleep. Day 2 she probably sets out early for the peaks. She intended to return. It appears she got into trouble fairly fast. I’m also concerned if she needed shelter, her tent was not with her. The pic of her shows a very large pack, that would be brutal both on the ascent & descent. I’ve seen plenty of people do it however. I wonder if she had a day pack, but left her larger pack at her campsite? Packed light to climb. 5 peaks is also pretty adventurous. She was probably spacing them out over the days.

First thoughts- she suffered a major fall. Got lost.
She was prepared with her InReach however (very responsible). I’m confused why it’s not responsive. She used it to communicate with her mom. It was the start of her trip, all devices would be at the ready. Did she maybe not have a paid subscription, let it lapse and the major features were not functional? I don’t think that’s the case however. IMO

Amen sister.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back