My view has done a complete 180

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Damien's writings: http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img/writ_de_writings.html

from #14:
"I saw my son for the First time yesturday. something happened when I looked at him. I don't think I was supposed to see him. Halloween gets closer everyday. I am outgrowing my skin. My hands and feet are changing. I am the Christ. Realize whats happening before its to late. 94 is close."

"It seems strange how everyone just keeps going on like nothing is different. I know better. I found out my son was born. The spirits won't leave me alone. They surround me constantly. always talking. They won't let me sleep, they won't let me think. Everything is different Now. I can feel it. I don't know what it is. I just want to be left alone. "

I think the baby stole my soul. Oh well, I don't guess I need it anyway. Halloween gets closer everyday. this is your last chance WAKE UP."

He has written a new short story, "Nostalgia and Marlou." I subscribe to a website where I was permitted to read it, but obviously I can't post it. It's about Halloween, his favorite holiday. If you get a chance, seek it out and read it.

His writings when he was a teen are certainly more akin to Stephen King than any other author I know. King can write some pretty bizarre stuff, as did Damien. Some of what he wrote back then was to shock; some was just teen angst; some was due to the medication; all was a cry for help, which was answered with a death sentence. It's surprising to me that he has held up as well as he has, especially if he's bipolar. If he were schizophrenic or suffered from some other violent disorder, I don't think he would be in as good shape as he is.

As time has passed, Damien's writings have certainly matured. I don't know how much of that is because he is no longer being medicated and how much is simply because he has matured. His autobiography, Almost Home, was well written and very interesting. This new short story, too, is mature writing, but with a bit of the macabre. That's just Damien.

The writings I referenced are not, I repeat, not creative writing efforts, but personal correspondence from Echols to Glori Shettles while Echols was awaiting trial. She was a member of the defense team staff. Glori Shettles was the one person on the defense team with which Echols had the most contact.

When Echols was asked by Larry King to explain his psychotic writings to Shettles, Echols could not.

Stephen King is a top selling author in his genre, and Echols is? There is no comparison. Psychotic ravings are not marketable, and can not be compared to creative writing.

Echols writing talent is slight, and would go unnoticed if not for his predicament and the backing of people like Vetter and Depp, among others, including the misguided efforts of the producers of "Paradise Lost."

If Echols were to be released via a new trial, which will not happen IMO, and were to kill someone, then the credibility of those public figures who supported Echols efforts to gain release will be diminished as happened with Norman Mailer and other writers who backed Jack Henry Abbot's release. Abbot killed someone else within six weeks of his release.

Whenever a writer writes, be it a journal, a correspondence or material intended for publication, the writer considers it to be a creative effort. Your literary criticism of Damien's writings is (obviously) your opinion. He is a published author. Also, your assessment of what he might do upon release is your opinion. In both of these opinions, you and I differ. I respect your right to your opinion, and you should respect my right to my opinion.

I do not believe that Damien will kill anyone when he is released. In fact, I do not believe he has ever killed anyone. It seems to me that you are believing him guilty simply because he suffers from some form of mental disorder. If he does (and I am not willing to concede that he suffers from anything more serious that bipolar disorder, and maybe not even that), I am certain that, with proper medication, he can be a productive member of society.

I dare say that there are thousands if not tens of thousands of productive citizens who take medication for some sort of affective disorder. Why must Damien be a killer? He is not a paranoid schizophrenic. He is not a raving maniac. He is a sensitive and creative young man who was seriously misunderstood back in 1993 and apparently is still misunderstood by many people today. Please don't judge him by his teen aged behavior. If I were judged today by my behavior as a teen, I'm afraid that I would come up woefully short in the balance scales. He has matured a great deal, as we all do. If given the chance, I am confident that he will prove me right.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Jessie's sister is serving time for murder. I just want to provide a few links, courtesy of a friend, about this situation. First, it is Jessie's half-sister. Second, her baby drowned in a bathtub. Third, she was convicted of second degree murder (negligence). Finally, she was sentenced to three to five years. Here are the links:

http://www.theeveningtimes.com/articles/2001/05/01/news/export533.txt

http://www.theeveningtimes.com/articles/2002/07/08/news/export1650.txt

http://www.theeveningtimes.com/articles/2002/07/10/news/export1663.txt

http://www.theeveningtimes.com/articles/2002/07/12/news/export1678.txt

I'm certainly not saying that I condone what happened here, especially the drug use, but the implication in the original post seemed to be that Susie and Jessie are a family of cold-blooded killers. This is simply not the case, as you will see if you read the links above.

Whenever a writer writes, be it a journal, a correspondence or material intended for publication, the writer considers it to be a creative effort. Your literary criticism of Damien's writings is (obviously) your opinion. He is a published author. Also, your assessment of what he might do upon release is your opinion. In both of these opinions, you and I differ. I respect your right to your opinion, and you should respect my right to my opinion.

I do not believe that Damien will kill anyone when he is released. In fact, I do not believe he has ever killed anyone. It seems to me that you are believing him guilty simply because he suffers from some form of mental disorder. If he does (and I am not willing to concede that he suffers from anything more serious that bipolar disorder, and maybe not even that), I am certain that, with proper medication, he can be a productive member of society.

I dare say that there are thousands if not tens of thousands of productive citizens who take medication for some sort of affective disorder. Why must Damien be a killer? He is not a paranoid schizophrenic. He is not a raving maniac. He is a sensitive and creative young man who was seriously misunderstood back in 1993 and apparently is still misunderstood by many people today. Please don't judge him by his teen aged behavior. If I were judged today by my behavior as a teen, I'm afraid that I would come up woefully short in the balance scales. He has matured a great deal, as we all do. If given the chance, I am confident that he will prove me right.

CR, I am published poet too, but that is off-topic so I won't go into it here other than to say I studied creative writing at the U of H, main campus. Poppycock, your statement about all writers'
correspondence being seen as a creative effort. Sheesh, you were really overboard with that one, and you know it. LOL.

How can I not judge Echols based on his teen aged behavior? He is on death row for his teen aged behavior is he not?

You and I will just have to agree to disagree as to whether or not he belongs there. We've obviously drawn our lines in cyberspace.

Yes, yes, his writing has improved tremendously, but his efforts are still highly personalized. He hasn't attempted anything ambitious yet. True also, he is not writing from a psychotic mind today which is why we get a poem like, First Love, which is a decent poem.

I would like to see others of at least that same caliber if you have them. I refuse to pay for anything Echols might get a pittance from, though likely he's already gotten his dimes from Rattler and Porcupine if indeed he was even paid for his submissions. I know little of Porcupine and less of Rattler.

I also do not know that Damien is not a paranoid schizophrenic. If he isn't now, he was well on his way to being one at age 18. For all I know, all of his behavior has been an act, an attempt to deceive others for various imagined gains.

There is something disturbing about him today that makes him seem not quite right. His dismissive arrogance does not warm him to the cockles of anyone's heart, that is anyone who casts a cold eye on him. I don't know, but would think it possible that his flat or blunted affect came from the years in prison and before. For sure he is trying to be normal to the degree creative types are willing to go to help their art.

If he is to be a poet of any worth, he will have to learn not to set himself above his readers, not that I've seen he's done that recently. I'm just saying. If he can't do that, then he's got a mental problem, and either it will be dealt with or not.

I think there is a dark undercurrent to him, that you supporters don't seem to see or overlook because you don't want to see that about him. It rises to the top when he is under great strain and stress. I am not sure what positive coping skills he has acquired. Obviously it takes skill to cope with death row, but then, that is a very small world, and Lorri Davis is responsible for a great deal in dealing with Echols personally. He does seem aware of that. Death Row is not the real world of husbands and wives, competitive writers, artists, musicians and the easy flow of drugs.

I'd rather support the memory and the families (some in dire straits themselves) of three innocent little boys who lost their lives, than take a chance on a death row inmate, esp. one with a history of mental illness, and grandiosity, the latter still disturbingly present.

As Pam said, he was a punk. Now I think he might be turning into a brat. Don't give him standing in writing he hasn't earned. I will say this much. He is surrounded by people who care for him, and about him, and he never had any kind of consistency or support in his life before prison, and until Lorri Davis showed up. I do think the support he's received is curative by degrees for whatever mental disorders he has or suffered from in the past if he owns up to it, and is self-aware of it. However, I think there is a danger of too much, too fast as far as accolades go, and in this case for minimal efforts.

Right now, he knows he has to keep a lid on himself for fear of harming his case. I really don't know what's under that lid from this point forward anymore than anyone else does, but I wouldn't risk that he's all that benign either, seeing where he's coming from, death row. That's just how I feel about it. I'd rather convict an innocent man (which as you know, I do not believe Echols is) than see the murderer of three children set free. Not all our choices can be positive ones in life.

Speaking in general here, I'm not running around wanting to do away with the death penalty. Neither do I clamor for it in all cases. I do see it as a viable alternative to our already overcrowded prisons, and I absolutely believe serial killers, child murderers, and serial rapists deserve the death penalty, not all, but the majority do. Off the top of my head, I'm think of the woman in Houston who drowned her 5 children. She was clearly insane, and is now where she belongs, for life. in a hospital for the criminally insane.

What a baffling case. Early on, I was convinced of their innocence, but now I'm moving to the fence. I honestly just have no idea.

As far as conspiracy theories, it could happen - not sure if it is happening here, but it's possible. I once testified in a murder trial where there was a conspiracy and an innocent man was sitting in jail, charged with murder. You would not believe the number of family/friends of the ACTUAL murderer who conspired against this innocent man. My role in the case - as was many others - was simply to discredit what some of these folks were saying. For me, that the main witness who "saw" this man was not on her way to get her daughter from Girl Scouts because: 1) we didn't have Girl Scouts at night nor on that day, and 2) not once did she ever pick up her daughter - I always took her home b/c she was still there when I was packing up/leaving. One by one, all of the witnesses stories were picked apart - and in the end, the mother of my Girl Scout member was trying to protect her older daughter's BF... and so were countless others.

Having said that, I'm not sure if a conspiracy theory against three people and involving so many others could be airtight for so many years, kwim? Seems like someone would slip up, or LE/attorneys would discover those inconsistencies. Maybe they have and are ignoring them? I just have no idea in this case.

jt,

My son is also a published writer, and my husband is a retired English teacher who has also done some writing. I also have a brother-in-law whose third book is awaiting publication. They agree with my statement about anything a writer writes being a creative effort. As a writer, you may not agree, but that doesn't mean that my statement is incorrect. However, to make you happy, I will amend it to say that most writers believe that whenever they write it is a creative effort.

Damien is on Death Row in part because some people misunderstood his teen aged behavior to mean that he was guilty of murder and in part because the prosecution, thanks largely to Jerry Driver, zeroed in on Damien from the beginning of the investigation and in part because West Memphis, Arkansas is a small town and in part because Burnett was a State-leaning judge who excluded much exculpatory information from the trial.

Yes, Damien has a dark side. As I have said before, so does Stephen King. I venture to opine that at least some of the pessimism Damien displays could be a result of spending 17+ years in isolation on Death Row for a crime he did not commit IMO. It is a miracle that he is not a raving lunatic after that experience and others that he has had on Death Row.

I, too, support the families of the three murdered little boys. In fact, I have given money to a fund established to help the families, as I have given money to the defense fund. And, as a retired teacher, I don't have much money to give away. That's how strongly I feel about this case. In my opinion, there are six victims of this crime, three were victims of a vicious killer and three were victims of a vicious justice system. I want justice for all six.

As to Pam's calling Damien a punk, that was back in 1994. At the time, she had faith in the justice system and believed what she was told by the police. She is no longer sure about her original feelings. Now, she is looking forward to the evidentiary hearing in December so that she can find out who killed her son. And, as I am sure you know, John Mark Byers, Christopher's adoptive father, is now a firm believer in the innocence of the WM3 and works tirelessly for their release.

You would rather "convict an innocent man" (in this case, I'm sure that you realize that would mean executing an innocent man) "than to see the murderer of three children set free?" Personally, I don't want to see either thing happen. Right now, IMO, the murderer of three children is free. I just believe that this is one case where the justice system needs to get it right. And, again IMO, they haven't yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the Death Penalty (surprised?), but I only want to see it used in cases that are on much firmer ground than this one. The Death Penalty IMO simply should not be employed where circumstantial evidence is used or where the strongest evidence as to the guilt of the accused is the statement of a mentally-challenged youth which does not now and did not then match the evidence.

I agree with you about Andrea Yates. I was living in Houston when that happened, and she is mentally unstable at best. She needs to be in the hospital to protect both herself and society.

belimom,

If you continue to research this case, be sure to read not only the trial transcripts but the pretrial hearing transcripts as well. Finally, if you have the time, read the Rule 37 Abstracts (yes, it's over 900 pages) from Jason and Jessie's Rule 37 Hearing. The abstracts and the pretrial hearings reveal much exculpatory information that Burnett excluded at trial.

Then, in December, make yourself aware of the information revealed at the evidentiary hearing. I am confident that the information coming out of the hearing will get you off of the fence and into the supporter camp once again. Additionally, I am confident that the hearing will provide information pointing to at least one viable alternative suspect in this crime. Hopefully, the hearing will mark the beginning of true justice for the six victims of this crime.

I don't think you can even claim a majority of writers think any and all of their writings are a creative effort. First of all, you don't have enough of a field of input to logically make that claim, and second of all it is totally silly to infer that writers see writing checks, making grocery lists or to do lists are creative efforts.

I have a son who is an artist and a musician, another son who was in a band in high school that played heavy metal. I like it as well, among other styles.. That son also wore all black to school, and was ostracized for it by some narrow minded teachers, but that was not in Houston. That happened in a town we'd moved to from Houston trying to recapture for our kids our own experience of childhood, growing up in a world that felt far safer. I know they got some sense of that, but heck, if I like small, forgettable towns or the attitudes. We moved away into Austin.

I've read a few of Stephen King's books. Liked Dean Koontz better. Some things about Echols are not alien to me, as I'm sure you thought. BTW, yes, I figured you for anti-death penalty all the way around. In fact, I think I like you better since it's just this case you are focused on.

I know of the fund for the families you referenced, but since it's run by supporters, I can't see it as an unbiased attempt to aid the families.

JMB joined supporters after the focus was off him, and on Terry. I think that is self-explanatory. If you can't beat 'em join 'em as the saying goes.

Actually, I don't think it means executing an innocent man in this particular case. Designating a crime a capital crime is already one restraint put on the death penalty. To me, the nature of the individual crime, must be considered. Sure it would be nice to have slam dunk evidence on every death penalty case, but that's not the reality. Some cases require more consideration than others, but I don't think that should negate the use of the death penalty. That's telling criminals they need to improve their skills. I don't have a problem with how the death penalty is applied. The two cases were tried by 2 juries. There's now an evidentiary hearing on order, so the three now have to prove their innocence. That remains to be seen. You might have won the battle on this one, but you just might lose the war.

There's a lot of pressure riding on everyone, the judge, the SAs, the defense, the defendants, and on the state of Arkansas itself. Their self-image is at stake in this whether that's ever owned up to or not. Shouldn't be that way, but we're talking humans here, not machinery.

I agree that the spotlight is definitely on Arkansas with the upcoming evidentiary hearing. The whole world will be watching. This case has garnered attention from all kinds of people all over the world. Even with all of its flaws, the first documentary did provide a look at the Arkansas courts. A lot of people didn't like what they saw. I believe that the spotlight cast upon the Arkansas Second Circuit Court, and specifically Judge (now Senator) Burnett, was the springboard for the supporter movement. I have high hopes that Judge Laser is more open minded than Judge Burnett was. I also believe that Laser will follow the obvious desire of the ASSC and look at all evidence. I can hardly wait until December.

What a baffling case. Early on, I was convinced of their innocence, but now I'm moving to the fence. I honestly just have no idea.

As far as conspiracy theories, it could happen - not sure if it is happening here, but it's possible. I once testified in a murder trial where there was a conspiracy and an innocent man was sitting in jail, charged with murder. You would not believe the number of family/friends of the ACTUAL murderer who conspired against this innocent man. My role in the case - as was many others - was simply to discredit what some of these folks were saying. For me, that the main witness who "saw" this man was not on her way to get her daughter from Girl Scouts because: 1) we didn't have Girl Scouts at night nor on that day, and 2) not once did she ever pick up her daughter - I always took her home b/c she was still there when I was packing up/leaving. One by one, all of the witnesses stories were picked apart - and in the end, the mother of my Girl Scout member was trying to protect her older daughter's BF... and so were countless others.

Having said that, I'm not sure if a conspiracy theory against three people and involving so many others could be airtight for so many years, kwim? Seems like someone would slip up, or LE/attorneys would discover those inconsistencies. Maybe they have and are ignoring them? I just have no idea in this case.

It is possible, but I doubt it. There is a reason why these three men have been in prison for the past 18 years and why each and every appeal has been turned down.

Please go here: http://wm3hoax.downonthefarm.org/board/index.php

(Micheal Moore's father, Todd posts here).

or here: http://callahan.8k.com/ (Has Everything about this case)

anyways, make up your own mind of guilty or innocence.

You can find intelligent discussion about this case here: www.wm3blackboard.com

John Mark Byers, father of Christopher Byers posts at the blackboard site as does Stevie Branch's aunt and, occasionally, Pam Hobbs, Stevie's mother. Also, Gail Grinnell, Jason Baldwin's mother, posts at the blackboard site. There are also attorneys, at least one of which has been indirectly involved in the case, having been on Natalie Maines Pasdar's defense team (or that of the Dixie Chicks, I forget). In short, the blackboard site has very knowledgeable people posting on it, and it is not a vicious name-calling extravaganza like you will find on some sites. The callahan site contains the court documents. As I said before, be sure to read the pretrial hearing transcripts as well as the trial transcripts in order to get a true picture of the situation.

Jessie Misskelley confessed multiple times - several times AFTER he was convicted. His attorney begged him not to.

This is post conviction.

This is the statement that Jessie's lawyer didn't want him to give.

STATEMENT OF JESSIE MISSKELLEY, JR.
FEBRUARY 17, 1994

DAVIS: I've turned the other recorder on for the purposes of this tape. We are at the offices of Joe Calvin attorney. It's 8:02 p.m. on February 17, 1994. Present in the room is Greg Crow.

CROW: Present

DAVIS: And Jessie Misskelley, Jr.

MISSKELLEY: Present

DAVIS: Dan Stidham.

STIDHAM: I'm here.

DAVIS: Joe Calvin.

CALVIN: Present.

DAVIS: And myself, Brent Davis. Now Jessie before we start this would you raise your right hand. Do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you god.

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I do.

DAVIS: Ok, Now for purposes of the record I want it to reflect that number 1, Mr. Stidham and myself have talked with Judge Burnett and advised of these proceedings. And after discussing this with him he approved or said that we could take a statement with Mr. Misskelley's attorneys present.

STIDHAM: Over my objections.

DAVIS: Over Mr. Stidham's objections. Also for Mr. Misskelley's benefit this statement will be taken with a grant of use of immunity approved by the Court which means that anything in this statement cannot be used in any proceeding against Jessie Misskelley, Jr. in the future, down the road, whatever. Ah, also for the record and ah, Mr. Stidham can add to this. But it's my understanding that any statement Mr. Misskelley gives will be against the advise of his attorney Mr. Stidham and Mr. Crow.

CROW: That's correct.

DAVIS: And for the record that they have requested of the Judge that it be delayed until the Psychiatric Evaluation could be performed. And that the Court indicated that this statement could be taken before that evaluation over the objection of Mr. Stidham.

STIDHAM: That's correct.

DAVIS: And that this statement will be tape recorded and a copy of that tape or that tape will be provided to defense councel and that at this point no promises have been made as to any deals or any benefits that will be granted to Mr. Misskelley as a result of this statement.

________: There has been no negotiations whatsoever primarily due to Mr. Misskelley's refusal to talk to us.

DAVIS: Now if you would will you state your name.

STIDHAM: Before you get started with that I would like to make a reference in regard to what I have and have not advised Mr. Misskelley of tonight.

DAVIS: You might need to speak up.

STIDHAM: Ok. Jessie can you hear me.

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I can hear you.

STIDHAM: I want you to listen very carefully to what I've got to tell you, ok. I told you earlier that I have some new evidence, is that correct ?

MISSKELLEY: That's what you said.

STIDHAM: And I told you that this new evidence may ..ah.. that I plan on filing a motion for a new trial and that the Court could possibly grant you a new trial based on this evidence.

STIDHAM: Ok, I also told you that giving a statement was against my advise and wishes.

STIDHAM: Ok. I am advising you that I don't think it's a good idea for you to give this statement. Do you understand that ?

STIDHAM: OK. Do you understand that Mr. Crow is giving you the same advise ?

STIDHAM: You need to speak up a little louder Jessie.

_________: One second, I may have to fix this.

STIDHAM: So you understand that my advise to you is that you not say anything. Do you understand that?

MISSKELLEY: Yes.

STIDHAM: And your 18 years old and you understand that I've asked for a Mental Evaluation.

MISSKELLEY: I don't know if you did or not.

STIDHAM: I asked the Court if I could have an oppurtunity to get you the Psychiatric help that you askef for when I was down in Pine Bluff on Tuesday. Do you remember asking for that?

STIDHAM; You asked me to get you a Psychiatrist?

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I said I need help.

STIDHAM: And that's why I asked the Judge for the opportunity to get you that evaluation before you make any statement. Do you understand that ?

STIDHAM: And you also understand that again it's my advise that you not talk or give any kind of statement here tonight ..ah.. until we have a chance to file a motion for a new trial and get your Psychiatric Evaluations complete. Do you understand that ?

STIDHAM: And it is your decision to go ahead and make this statement anyway ?

STIDHAM: You still want to give a statement despite my advise and counsel?

MISSKELLEY: Yes, cause I want something done about it.

STIDHAM: Ok. So ..um.. is there any part of what I just told you that you don't understand ?

MISSKELLEY: No.

STIDHAM: You understand everything?

STIDHAM: And you want to make my statement regardless of my advise against doing so?

MISSKELLEY: Yep.

STIDHAM: Do you want to have an opportunity to talk to anyone else, father or anyone before you make a statement.

MISSKELLEY: I might need to talk to my father. But I'm not for sure.

STIDHAM: It's your decision, your 18 years old.

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I am.

STIDHAM: Do you want to talk to your father or not ?

MISSKELLEY: No I can go ahead and do it.

STIDHAM: Do you realize that once you make this statement there is no turning back?

MISSKELLEY: I know there's no turning back.

STIDHAM: Anything you want to add to that Greg.

CROW: Jessie. You realize that I don't always agree with everything that Dan says but this time I agree with him. I don't think you should say anything. Do you know that? Are you aware of the fact that I don't think you should say anything ?

MISSKELLEY: Yea, I understand what your saying.

CROW: Ok, along as you understand that. But you want to anyway, is that right ?

MISSKELLEY: Right cause I want something done.

CROW: Ok.

CALVIN: Let me ask you a couple of questions before you get into it ..ah.. Jessie when you were brought here ..ah.. since you've been here with the Deputy Sheriff. I think you got here about 5:00, is that correct?

MISSKELLEY: Somewhere around 5:00.

CALVIN: Ok, now nobody has questioned you anything about what happened is that correct?

MISSKELLEY: Nope.

CALVIN: Ok, How have we treated you ?

MISSKELLEY: Nice.

CALVIN: Ok, has anybody been rude to you or anything ?

CALVIN: Now we got you a Cheeseburger Sandwich and I asked Mr. Crow on the telephone if that was alright and he said that was perfectly alright. And I went and purchased you a Cheeseburger, is that correct ?

MISSKELLEY: Yes, sir.

CALVIN: And you had a few, I think I gave you a couple of diet Cokes. I don't know if you drank'm all but you drank those, is that correct?

MISSKELLEY: Yes

CALVIN: But you haven't been promised anything for your testimony and you want to give it free and voluntarily.

CALVIN : And nobody's mistreating you?

MISSKELLEY: Nope

CALVIN: Ok.

DAVIS: Would you state your name please Jessie?

MISSKELLEY: Jessie Lloyd Misskelley, Jr.

DAVIS: And Jessie, how old are you?

MISSKELLEY: 18

DAVIS: what's your birthday?

MISSKELLEY: July 10, 1975

DAVIS: Ok and where were you residing prior to the time you were arrested? Before you were arrested?

MISSKELLEY: Highland Trailer Park

DAVIS: Ok. Now I want to draw your attention back to the date the three (3) little boys were murdered. Ah.. if you would on that date did you go to Robinhood Woods?

MISSKELLEY: Yes sir I did.

DAVIS: Ok and who did you go there with?

MISSKELLEY: Damien and Jason.

DAVIS: And when you went there, what happened when you got to the woods ?

MISSKELLEY: We sit there for a while and then three (3) little boys came up.

DAVIS: Ok what was. Had you had anything to drink or had you done any drugs, anything like that prior to that time. Or during that time?

MISSKELLEY: I was drinking.

DAVIS: Ok what were you drinking ?

MISSKELLEY: Whiskey and..

DAVIS: And do you recall whether it was daylight or dark when you got to the woods?

MISSKELLEY: And do you recall whether it was daylight or dark when you got to the woods?

MISSKELLEY: It was still daylight.

DAVIS: And do you know, do you have any idea what time it was about when you got to the woods ?

MISSKELLEY: No I don't

DAVIS: Ok, now where did you enter the woods from ?

MISSKELLEY: Ah.. by a bridge.

DAVIS: Ok. What kind of bridge was it?

MISSKELLEY: It was on the serv, on the service road.

DAVIS: Ok. Ah.. you entered the woods by a bridge near the service road.

MISSKELLEY: ..Uhm.. (yes)

DAVIS: Ok. When you, who was with you at that point ?

MISSKELLEY: Jason and Damien.

DAVIS: And was there anybody else with you ?

MISSKELLEY: Nope.

DAVIS: Ok. And when you entered the woods near that bridge what happened next ?

MISSKELLEY: We just sit out there and started drinking ..inaudible.., we heard some noise, me and Jason hid and ..ah.. Damien just sit there and then all of a sudden he hid and then three (3) little boys come up and we jumped'm.

DAVIS: When you say that, what, prior to the boys coming up what was Damien duing ?

MISSKELLEY: He was just getting ..inaudible.. waiting for'm?

DAVIS: Ok. Was he drinking to?

MISSKELLEY: Uhm.. (yes).

DAVIS: What was he drinking ?

MISSKELLEY: He ws drinking beer?

DAVIS: And what about Jason ?

MISSKELLEY: Same thing.

DAVIS: Ok. Did they appear to be intoxicated ?

MISSKELLEY: To me they was.

DAVIS: Ok what about you? Were you, did you drink to the point you were intoxicated?

MISSKELLEY: I drunk to a point I was sick.

DAVIS: Ok. And when you drank, drink anything with the Whiskey?

DAVIS: Ok. What brand was it?

DAVIS: Evan Williams.

DAVIS: Ok. Where did you get that from?

MISSKELLEY: Vicky Hutchison.

DAVIS: Ok. Was there anybody with you when you got that?

DAVIS: Did, were you the only one there when you got Evan Williams from her?

MISSKELLEY: Yea.

DAVIS: Ok. And how much, when did you make arrangements for her to get that.

MISSKELLEY: During that day.

DAVIS: Ok.

MISSKELLEY: I don't know what time.

DAVIS: Where had you benn right before hooking up or getting with Damien and Jason?

MISSKELLEY: Well that morning I went to W. Memphis roofing.

DAVIS: Ok. And about what time did you get through roofing?

MISSKELLEY: Well I got off at dinner time.

DAVIS: Ok. And after you got off at dinner time, where, what were you doing right before you met up with Jason and Damien, where had you been?

MISSKELLEY: Highland Trailer Park.

DAVIS: Ok. And had you seen anybody in Highland Trailer Park right before you left to meet up with those two (2)?

DAVIS: Ok and who had you seen?

MISSKELLEY: Louie, susie, Stephanie, Pat, Boomer ..um.. Cody, Stephanie, Bobbie, you know some cop and there was some more people I couldn't tell you.

DAVIS: Ok. So. And so it was after, was it do you have any idea what time it was when you left the Trailer Park, approximately ?

MISSKELLEY: I don't know what time it was. I didn't have my watch.

DAVIS: Ok. And where were you when, as far as between the Trailer Park and Robinhood Woods when you ran into or came across Jason and Damien.

MISSKELLEY: I went to Lakeshore.

DAVIS: Ok. Is there where you meet them?

MISSKELLEY: Uhm.. (yes)

DAVIS: Ok. Where were they when you meet them.

MISSKELLEY: By the ..um.. by the Interstate.

DAVIS: Ok. Did you know ahead of time you were going to meet'm there ?

DAVIS: Ok. And how did you know that?

MISSKELLEY:It well Damien, I talked to him a couple times, and he wanted me to go W. Memphis with him and Jason and find some girls. And I went.

DAVIS: Did you know what, did you know what you were going for or what was going to happen?

MISSKELLEY: No, I didn't.

DAVIS: Now, how did you get from Lakeshore to the woods? What route did you take?

MISSKELLEY: We walked by ..ah.. Walmart and went on the Service Road.

DAVIS: Ok. Do you remember what Damien was wearing ?

MISSKELLEY:

CALVIN: You may need to speak up just a little bit more.

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember to this day.

DAVIS: Ok. Do you remember what Jason's wearing ?

MISSKELLEY: No I don't, I can remember what I was wearing.

DAVIS: What were you wearing ?

MISSKELLEY: I was wearing a white shirt, had a basketball, something on the front of it and I had bluejeans, greasy, and white and blue addidas.

DAVIS: Ok. Now, when you, after you got in the wood. Do you have any idea how long you were in the woods before the kids came up?

MISSKELLEY: Not very long.

DAVIS: Ok. Now, where were you in relation to the creek that runs through the woods. Do you know what I am talking about when I say there's a creek running through it?

MISSKELLEY: Yea, the creek that goes up under the bridge.

DAVIS: Ok, the one that, the creek that runs under the

MISSKELLEY: Bridge.

DAVIS: Service Road. Ok. Where were ya'll in the creek, out of the creek.

MISSKELLEY: Out of the creek.

DAVIS: Ok. Were all three (3) of ya out of the creek?

DAVIS: Ok. And were you, were you on the Blue Beacon side or the Memphis side of the creek?

DAVIS: Let me ask that again. The creek that runs under the Service Road and into Robinhood Woods.

MISSKELLEY: Right.

DAVIS: Ok. One side of it's the Blue Beacon side and one side of it's closer to Memphis. One side's, were ya'll on the Blue Beacon side or on the Memphis side of that creek.

MISSKELLEY: Blue Beacon.

DAVIS: Ok. And which was, where did the boys come from? Or do you know?

MISSKELLEY: I don't know.

DAVIS: When did you first know they were in the woods?

MISSKELLEY: All I know is I heard these little kids holler.

DAVIS: Ok. And what happened at that point?

MISSKELLEY: And Damien started making some noises to get their attention and they come over where we was at.

DAVIS: When you say he made noises to get their attention, what, waht'd he do?

MISSKELLEY: Holer a little bit.

DAVIS: Ok. And when they came over what happened?

MISSKELLEY: And then Ja, Damien jumped on'm. And them other two (2) started beating on Damien and me and Jason jumped on'm.

DAVIS: Do you know which was Damien jumped on?

MISSKELLEY: ..um.. one of'm had blond hair. I don't know which one.

DAVIS: Ok. Which one's were they, which two (2) was it that jumped on Damien when he jumped on the other one?

MISSKELLEY: I can't, I can't remember that.

DAVIS: What happened at that point? Damien jumps on one and the other two (2) jump on him, what happens next?

MISSKELLEY: Me and Jason jump out and grabbed'm.

DAVIS: Alright. Who did you grab?

MISSKELLEY: ..um.. the one that had a, a blue boyscout.

DAVIS: Ok. Who did Jason grab, which, what did that boy looked like that Jason grabbed?

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember. I remember the one I grabbed.

DAVIS: Ok. What was that boy wearing.

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember, I was too messed up to remember that.

DAVIS: You said something about a blue or about a boyscout something. Was one of'm wearing a uniform?

MISSKELLEY: Something with the boyscouts on it.

DAVIS: Ok. Now when you grabbed one and Jason grabbed one what happened next?

MISSKELLEY: We started hitting'm.

DAVIS: With what ?

MISSKELLEY: Fist at first.

DAVIS: Ok. Where describe to me what Ja, what you saw Jason do?

MISSKELLEY: He first he cut one of'm on a face on his left side just a little bit like a scratch. Then ..ah.. he went to the other one and got on top of him, started hitting him and then pull one of'm pants down and get on top of'm and cut'm.

DAVIS: Ok. Now you said that he first hit somebody, hit one of'm and cut him on the left side of his face. Ok was that a different person then the one he jumped on a cut with the knife.

MISSKELLEY: To my knowledge, yea, a different person.

DAVIS: What were you doing at this time?

MISSKELLEY: I was still hitting that one.

DAVIS: Ok. What were you hitting him with?

MISSKELLEY: My fist.

DAVIS: Do you know how many time you might havfe hit'm?

MISSKELLEY: ..Um..

DAVIS: Where, what part of his body were you hitting him in ?

MISSKELLEY: Face.

MISSKELLEY: Head.

DAVIS: What, what was Damien doing during this time?

MISSKELLEY: Well the one that got cut on his face, he stuck his finger on his cheek and slicked the blood off of it.

DAVIS: That's what, saw Damien do. What else was he doing?

MISSKELLEY: He grabbed one of'm by the ear, I don't know which one, he grabbed on of'm by the ear trying to pull his ear off or something. He grabbed'm pretty tight. It turned kind of red.

DAVIS: Did the, were the kids, the threee (3) little boys were they saying anything, doing anything during this ?

MISSKELLEY: They were saying Stop, Stop.

DAVIS: Ok. And what about the boy that you were hitting, was he saying that?

MISSKELLEY: Yea, he was telling me stop and then I stopped and Damien told me, no, no don't stop. And I got on'm again.

DAVIS: Ok. Now did anybody, At what pooint, or at this point when your doing that did they have their clothes on?

MISSKELLEY: Even when we hitting.

DAVIS: Ok. Were they, at some point did they get hit with anything besides your fist?

MISSKELLEY: Stick.

DAVIS: Who hit'm with a stick?

MISSKELLEY: Damien, I hit, I hit one of'm with a stick and

DAVIS: Now. When you say that, do you remember what kind of stick Damien had, you saw those sticks we had in Court.

MISSKELLEY: No, I didn't look at them. I know there's a stick craved something into it or something. You know part of the bark off of it.

DAVIS: Do you know how long it was? Was it as long as a baseball bat or longer or?

MISSKELLEY: it was longer than a baseball bat.

DAVIS: Ok. Describe for me what it looked like as far as, you say it looked like someone craved on it?

MISSKELLEY: Like a piece of the bark off of it.

DAVIS: Was that at the end or middle or bottom or do you remember.

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember.

DAVIS: Now.

CALVIN: Jessie in order to make sure that picks it up you need to talk up a little.

MISSKELLEY: Oh. I can't remember.

DAVIS: Ok. Now when you were hit, when, when you say that you were hitting'm and Jason and Damien were hitting'm. Were the boys still conscious at that point? The little boys.

DAVIS: Ok. At what point were you, did you notice or did you ever see them when they didn't appear to be conscious? Or they appeared to be knocked out?

DAVIS: Ok. Now at any point did you, were you there the whole time while this was going on?

MISSKELLEY: ..Uhm.. (yes).

DAVIS: Ok. How far were you from Damien and Jason?

MISSKELLEY: I was pre, pretty good ways from'm.

DAVIS: Ok. So it's been a, about say 10 yards or something.

MISSKELLEY: Something like that, maybe not even that far.

DAVIS: And could you see what they were doing ?

MISSKELLEY: I didn't pay any attention to them, I just kept on hitting that one.

DAVIS: Ok. And was that, was that the boy you had, the boy with the Cub Scout uniform on.

DAVIS: Ok. Now what did Jas, what did you see Jason and Damen do to the other two (2)?

MISSKELLEY: Well Damien screw one of'm.

DAVIS: When your saying he going screw him, what did you see him do?

MISSKELLEY: Well he was gonna stick his penis in that little boys behind.

DAVIS: Ok. Alright.

MISSKELLEY: As far as I am concerned he did.

DAVIS: When you say he was going to, what did you see Damien do and what happened between him and that little boy as far as that goes ?

MISSKELLEY: I don't understand what....

DAVIS: Ok. You said that he was going to screw the little or stick his penis in his behind. What did you see Damien do?

MISSKELLEY: They didn't do it, he was going to it, then they didn't

DAVIS: Ok. What was it that Damien did that made you think he was gonna do that?

MISSKELLEY: Well I seen the boys pants down.

DAVIS: How did his pants get down?

MISSKELLEY: He pulled'm.

DAVIS: Who pulled'm?

MISSKELLEY: Damien.

DAVIS: Ok. And did the boy, wwas the boy running when that happened or was he trying to get away or what was happening ?

MISSKELLEY: Well he was kicking his feet.

DAVIS: Ok. And what else did Damien do besides pull his, the little boys pants down. That made you think that he was gonna screw him?

MISSKELLEY: What, what'd you mean?

DAVIS: What, what did you see, you said that Damien pull his pants, the little boys pants down. Did you see Damien do anything else that indicated he was gonna screw him?

MISSKELLEY: ..um..

DAVIS: Ok. Did Damien have his clothes on or did he, at that point.

MISSKELLEY: He had his pants unbuttoned.

DAVIS: Ok. And at that point, what was Jason doing at that time ?

MISSKELLEY: Yea, he pulled one of the boys pants down, got on top of'm and started swinging.

DAVIS: Ok. when you say he started swinging, what do you mean?

MISSKELLEY: He started swinging his arm.

DAVIS: Around his, can you show me what you mean by that?

MISSKELLEY: He was coming like this.

DAVIS: Like hitting'm?

MISSKELLEY: Yeah. Like, like, like a like swinging

DAVIS: Ok. Was the boy lying face down or face up?

MISSKELLEY: Face up.

DAVIS: Ok. And did Jason have anything in his hands at that point.

MISSKELLEY: He had a knife.

DAVIS: Ok. Where was, was he actually hitting'm with the knife or with his fist ?

MISSKELLEY: blade was open.

DAVIS: Ok. Could you see where he, was he cutting the boy?

MISSKELLEY: No, he was like this swinging the knife at his legs.

DAVIS: Ok. Could you see, did you ever see one of the boys get cut with the knife?

MISSKELLEY: After he cut through with'm then I noticed what'd he done.

DAVIS: What did you see?

MISSKELLEY: I saw that boy you know missing

DAVIS: If you worried when you saw that, describe to me what you saw Jason do and what you saw happened?

MISSKELLEY: Well when he was doing that I seen blood fly.

DAVIS: Ok. Well did he, where'd the blood go?

MISSKELLEY: Grass, I mean not grass but weeds, like <..inaudible> sling around.

DAVIS: What'd the boy do when that happened?

MISSKELLEY: He started hollering. And Jason put his shirt over his mouth.

DAVIS: What'd Jason do after that?

MISSKELLEY: Then he came over where I was at.

DAVIS: What'd he do then?

MISSKELLEY: He wanted to do that one I was hitting, he wanted to do him the same way and I wouldn't let'm.

DAVIS: What'd you say to'm?

MISSKELLEY: I told'm na, after I seen what happened he did to that other boy. I said naw you ain't doing this one like that.

DAVIS: What'd Jason do then?

MISSKELLEY: He looked at me real weird and showed me that knife and then just walked off.

DAVIS: Had you seen that knife before?

DAVIS: What, who, who's knife was it?

MISSKELLEY: Jason's.

DAVIS: What did it look like?

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember. He keeps all kinds of knifes, I can't remember. All I know is it's a lock blade.

DAVIS: When you say a lock-blade, one that folds out and locks?

DAVIs: And were, what happened to the boys, did you stay, after you see Jason do that and he comes to you. What happens next.

MISSKELLEY: Well, he sc, Damien was Jason went back to that one boy, started hitting him some more.

DAVIS: Now when you say the one boy, is that the one that had his penis cut.

DAVIS: So Jason goes back to him, what's he doing to him when he goes back to'm.

MISSKELLEY: He just started hitting in the face and head.

DAVIS: What are you doing at that point? You see him go back he's hitting the boy in the face what are you doing?

MISSKELLEY: I never stopped what I was doing.

DAVIS: What about the boy that you'd been hitting on. What's he doing at that point?

MISSKELLEY: Nothing. He's unconscious.

DAVIS: Unconscious. Were you still holding on to him.

DAVIS: What did you, how did you have him held?

MISSKELLEY: By the hands.

DAVIS: And you see Jason go back to the other boy. What's, describe to me what Damien's doing at this point.

STIDHAM: Run the end of it out here so that we know that the transcriber won't record it. That's the one that Brent made at the beginning. Ok we gonna turn the tape over here.

END OF FIRST SIDE OF TAPE

DAVIS: Ok, Jessie tole me that Jason came over to you and then went back to the boy that had been castrated and start hitting him in the face. What was Damien doing at this point?

MISSKELLEY: He was still holding that, still messing with them boys, that boys penis.

DAVIS: Ok. And you said that you had, that your b, the boy that you had was unconscious and then what happened next, what you remember happening next?

MISSKELLEY: I, I let him go, after that I let him go and Damien come and got him. So I kept on hanging on to'm and start hitting him some more.

DAVIS: The, were the other two (2) boys still conscious. You said the one you had was unconscious, were the other two (2) boys still conscious at that point?

MISSKELLEY: Well the one who got castrated he wasn't moving that much no more. I figured you know he might be dead or whatever. I really didn't know.

DAVIS: What happens next you said you, Damien's still got the other one, Jason's got one and you got one. What happens next?

MISSKELLEY: Damien was messing the one little boy's penis.

CALVIN: Jessie, you need to speak up a little bit.

DAVIS: When you say he was messing with one of the boy's penis' what do you mean? What was he doing?

MISSKELLEY: pulling on it.

DAVIS: Ok. Do you remember which boy that was?

MISSKELLEY: No

DAVIS: Ok. Now what happens next, you said that Damien was pullin on one of the boys penis'. What happens next?

MISSKELLEY: We tied'm up.

DAVIS: Ok. Now you said before when the police asked you in their statement and asked you what they were tied up with. And you said they were tied up with rope. Ah..

MISSKELLEY: I made that up.

DAVIS: Why?

MISSKELLEY: Tied to get off, you know get'm off track.

DAVIS: Who tied'm up?

DAVIS: Did you pull, did you pull the strings out of their shoes?

MISSKELLEY: In one, in one of'm.

MISSKELLEY: But the rest I just, I just just whoever pulled'm out.

DAVIS: Were Damien and Jason taking the strings out of the shoes too or were you doing that?

MISSKELLEY: I was doing that.

DAVIS: Ok. And when you'd get the strings out you'd hand'm to the other two.

MISSKELLEY: Uhm.. (yes)

DAVIS: Ok. And did you actually tie any of the knots as far as tying any of the boys up?

DAVIS: Ok. Were they, did they have their clothes on or did they have their clothes off when they got tied up?

MISSKELLEY: The had'm off.

DAVIS: And were they conscious when they were getting tied up?

MISSKELLEY: They wasn't moving no more.

DAVIS: Ok. What about could you tell if they were. Were they saying anything or were they?

MISSKELLEY: They weren't saying nothing. Then when they threw'n in the water, I don't remember what about. One of'm was moving.

DAVIS: You say moving. Do you remember which one it was that was moving when they were thrown in the water?

DAVIS: Ok. When you say moving, what do you mean?

MISSKELLEY: Moving around.

DAVIS: Ok. Who threw'm in the water?

DAVIS: Ok. Now were you there when that happened?

MISSKELLEY: I was getting ready to leave.

DAVIS: Ok. Why were you getting ready to leave?

MISSKELLEY: Cause I was going to wrestling.

DAVIS: And was there any other reason you were getting ready to leave?

MISSKELLEY: Well after what I seen Jason do to that one boy, I couldn't do nothing else.

DAVIS: Now, did you all leave together?

MISSKELLEY: No, I left before them.

DAVIS: Which was did you leave? How did you get out of the woods?

MISSKELLEY: I went up there by overpass went around.

DAVIS: When you left the woods did you head towards the Interstate or back towards the other direction?

MISSKELLEY: Toward the Interstate.

DAVIS: Ok. Did, did you have any, anything with you when you left the woods? Were you still carrying...

MISSKELLEY: The Whiskey bottle.

DAVIS: Was it empty or have any in it.

MISSKELLEY: It still had some in it.

DAVIS: You said earlier that you drank to the point that you were sick. Did you get sick that night?

MISSKELLEY: Going home.

DAVIS: Where?

---------: (back ground voices)

DAVIS: Ok. We turned the tape over at least one of the tapes over. Ah, Jessie you said that you got sick going home that night. Were you sick at your stomach?

DAVIS: Throwing up.

MISSKELLEY: Drunk till I get sick.

DAVIS: Ok. Remember where you were when you throw up ?

MISSKELLEY: By the over pass.

DAVIS: Ok. What'd you do with your bottle?

MISSKELLEY: I busted it.

DAVIS: Ok. Where at?

MISSKELLEY: On the side of a ..ah.. like a slope going down over the overpass.

_______: Where you been?

DAVIS: Where goes over one of the Interstate.

MISSKELLEY: Yea, like coming from, ah.. I think its from Little Rock that goes under the, you know, there's a bridge goes toward Memphis.

DAVIS: And that would've been Evan Williams?

DAVIS: Ok. When you left thw woods and went back were Damien and Jason are still in the woods when you left ?

MISSKELLEY: There were still there when I left.

DAVIS: Ok. Now, what was it as far as daylight or dark. What was it when you left the woods.

MISSKELLEY: I bout dark, close to dark. It was still light outside

DAVIS: Ok. It was getting dark?

DAVIS: And what did you do then?

MISSKELLEY: I went to my house, got my then went to Johnny's

DAVIS: went wrestling. Was it dark when you left to go wrestling ?

MISSKELLEY: We usualyy leave about 8.

DAVIS: But on that night was it already dark when you got ready to leave?

MISSKELLEY: Uhm...(yes)

MISSKELLEY: usually he say we just sit there and sit there get ready go.

DAVIS: Is everything you told me true ?

DAVIS: Is there parts of what happened that night that are hard for you to remember?

MISSKELLEY: Parts, what do you mean?

DAVIS: I mean are there things that happened that night it is hard or difficult for you to remember? Let me see of I can make you understand. Are there events that took place that night, things that happened that you, that it is somewhat difficult to remember

MISSKELLEY: I can't remember.

DAVIS: Were you there when the three (3) boys were killed?

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I was there.

DAVIS: I don't have any further.

CALVIN: When you turn that tape over, I'd like to ask a question if I might. Ah..when they threw them in the water were any of'm kicking or screaming or anything or were they all unconscious or do you know?

MISSKELLEY: They weren't hollering, they was just, one of'm was just moving.

CALVIN: Moving. When you say moving, how was he moving?

MISSKELLEY: He was wiggling like a worm or something like that.

CALVIN: Is this the one that was castrated or do you remember?

MISSKELLEY: I don't remember, it's just one of'm all I remember.

CALVIN: Ok. Who through them in the water?

CALVIN: And did they push'm down, submerge'm, you know, weight them down or just throw'm in. Or do you know?

MISSKELLEY: I don't know.

CALVIN: But you stood, standing there watching'm.

MISSKELLEY: I seen'm put them in the water but I don't know what they did after I left.

CALVIN: In other words you left before they did?

MISSKELLEY: Right.

CALVIN: And after it was over did you all have any conversations about it, the three (3) of you?

MISSKELLEY: No. When I seen Damien and Jason on the 14th. They just looked at me they didn't say nothing.

CALVIN: But you all never did have any discussions about?

MISSKELLEY: Uhn.. (no) I didn't want to say nothing else to'm when they came around and seen me.

CALVIN: And that night you say that he used a switch blade knife.

MISSKELLEY: It was a lock.

CALVIN: A lock blade, the kind that you fold up.

MISSKELLEY: Yea and it's got a little button on it at the end of it.

CALVIN: How long was it, do you know?

MISSKELLEY: Pretty long I guess.

CALVIN: Have you seen it since?

CALVIN: But you know it belonged to ..ah..

MISSKELLEY: Jason.

CALVIN: Jason. Have you seen it before?

MISSKELLEY: Yea, at his house. He's got all kinds of knifes.

STIDHAM: Jessie, listen to me. For the purpose of the tape this is Dan Stidham. Ah.. prior to making this statement you refused to talk to Mr. Crow and I is that correct?

MISSKELLEY: Yes, I did.

STIDHAM: You didn't want to talk to us?

MISSKELLEY: Nope

STIDHAM: And again we advised you not to make this statement? Is that correct?

MISSKELLEY: Yes

STIDHAM: Uhm.....For the purpose of this tape I would like to find out..inaudible..Judge Burnett and everyone else thinks it's true. Misskelley is purgering himself. Do you have an opinion Mr. Crow?

CROW: I have a very strong opinion that he is purgering himself.

STIDHAM: We feel obligated to inform the court, as officers of the court, ethically we feel that..inaudible..make that for the record of this statement. inaudible

CALVIN: ...inaudible....agreed with him.

DAVIS: Jesse I asked you earlier about what you just told me about the events that took place the night of May 5. Is that, what you told me the truth?

DAVIS: Ok. And if I asked you to testify to that in Court, would you and could you testify truthfully to those same things?

DAVIS: That would conclude this statement at 8:45 on February 17, 1994.

Jessie told his lawyer that he smashed an Evan Williams bottle after the crime (he was drunk). His lawyer said "if we go out there and find this bottle where he said it was, I'll know he did it". They went where jessie said he smashed the bottle - and found it.

Jessie admitted guilt the day of his arrest.
Jessie told Buddy Lucas directly that he was guilty
Jessie told his own lawyer he was guilty and maintained his guilt after the trial.
Jessie gave a taped statement to his own lawyer and even gave outside evidence that he was telling the truth (Evan Williams bottle).
Jessie confessed to two transport officers after conviction.
Jessie confessed to prosecutors after he was convicted and against his lawyers pleadings.
Jessie confessed to fellow inmates at least 8 months after he had been incarcerated.

The alibis - all lies. A snapshot:

Damien:

In notes-May 9th it says that Damien, Domini and Jason stated that they were picked up at 6.00pm from the Laundromat by Damien&#8217;s father. That they then dropped Jason and Domini home.

However,
In a later interview (May 10th) Damien states that his mother picked him up from the Laundromat. He then says that after dropping Domini at her home, (not Jason as well) he, his mother and father and his sister all went to the Sanders house to visit. They stayed there from 3-5pm.

On May 12th Damien&#8217;s mother gave this statement to police.
In it she says that at around 12.30, she took Damien from the East Arkansas Mental Health place to the pharmacy and left his prescription there. She dropped Damien at Jason&#8217;s house at about 1pm. She says she collected the medicine on THURSDAY morning.
At 3.45ish he phones and asks her to pick him up from the Laundromat. She dropped Domini off (again no Jason) and they were home by 4.10pm.
She says that at 6-6.30 they went to the sanders house.
(this is the time that Damien originally said he was picked up from the laundromat and is also the same time that his father said he was home.)
Stayed for about an hour/got back after about an hour.
She says that the day before (May 4th) , her and Joe had separated and Joe had moved out.

She later says that no, that whole "separation" incident happened on May 9th, not May 4th.
(remember she has said that Joe was with them all day on May 5th&#8230;would he have been with them if he&#8217;d left the house on May 4th? I doubt it. So the date is now changed to May 9th.)
When she gave her interview on May 12th, she apparently couldn&#8217;t remember that her hubby and her separated THREE days before.

On Sept 10th Pam gives another statement This time she says that she took Damien to DOMINI&#8217;S house NOT Jason&#8217;s at about 1pm.
She then says that her, damien&#8217;s dad and michelle pick up Damien and Domini from the landromat at about 3.45pm. They drop Domini off and go and collect Damien&#8217;s prescription at about 4.30. (before she had said that she picked up the medicine on THURSDAY AM.)
At 6.30 they go to the Sanders house and got there at about 6.45-50pm. They stayed for 30 mins and went back home. Damien was on the phone from 7.30 &#8211; 10.30ish.

In 2000 Stacy Coker says in her declaration

"I was at our trailer the evening of May 5, 1993 and I saw him and Domini going into the house across the street."

This is not what she testified to at the trial:

"Um - I was watching tv and my cousin, Meridith, looked out the window and said Pam and Joe are at your house. And I looked out there and seen Pam and Joe and Damien at my house."

And it's not what she said in her statement either.

This is what Susan Sanders stated on May17th:

"2 Days later Damien's Mother told her (Susan Sanders) that the police would come by her house and ask her questions and told her to Remember that her and Damien Came to Visit her on 5-5-93 that Evening Also told her that Damien Didn't Kill those Boys he was with her all night."

So...we have more than a few discrepancies...

1# Change in time from around 3 to around 6.30.
2# Change from taking Jason home to just taking Domini home.
3# Change in when Damien's medicine was collected.
4# Change in the date when Joe and Pam seperated.
5# Change in who was seen going into the Sanders residence.
6# Change in Damien getting home at 6 and staying at home through the night.
7# Change in Damien being picked up from the laundromat at 6 to 3.45

For Jessie:

Jessie's main alibis were centered around two things:
1# that Stephanie Dollar says he was standing near 3 police cars in the trailer park at 6.30pm.
2# that he then went wrestling.

So, Stephanie Dollar testifies that Jessie was standing about 5 yards from the police car, at least within earshot.

One of the Police officers, James Dollahite testifies:

FOGLEMAN: Okay. Now let me back up, on the first time you were there, did you see the defendant?

DOLLAHITE: No sir.

FOGLEMAN: Alright, are you acquainted with the defendant?

DOLLAHITE: Yes sir.

FOGLEMAN: Okay. On the second call, when you got there at 6:31, did you see the defendant?

DOLLAHITE: No sir.

Infact, none of the officers that were present saw him there.
Joe McCafferty
Jason Oliver

So, apparently he then went wrestling.

People testify that he was going wrestling, people testify that he had gone wrestling.

The fact that:
&#8220;Dyess Mayor Edward Wooten said there hasn't been a wrestling match in Dyess for more than a year. "There were no wrestling matches that day in the town of Dyess," Wooten said.&#8221; doesn&#8217;t seem to bother Jessie&#8217;s pals.

source

Apart from that, the reason the alibis for this "wrestling" thing may have failed for the defence, can be shown very clearly in the testimony of Fred Revelle

Here's a bit of it:

DAVIS: Now, the receipt, and I&#8217;m going to show you a copy of a receipt. You told officers, you said &#8220;We paid $300 dollars and that&#8217;s why I remember it was the fifth [May] cause we went down there&#8221;&#8212;In fact you and Bill Cox went down there and paid him the money, right? That&#8217;s what you told officers?

REVELLE: Yes sir.

DAVIS: Ok. I wanna show you a receipt. (HANDING) And does that receipt have your name at the top?

REVELLE: (EXAMINING) Yes sir.

DAVIS: Ok. You&#8217;re Fred Revelle, right?

DAVIS: Ok, and does that receipt reflect that you paid Charles Stone $300 dollars?

DAVIS: Ok, and what date does that receipt show?

REVELLE: April 27th.

<snip>

DAVIS: Ok, and then you tell the police that it&#8217;s all connected to this $300 dollar payment. And you found out after that that the $300 dollar payment was made on April 27th, didn&#8217;t you?

REVELLE: It was made at a earlier date, yes.

DAVIS: Ok, and so then when you come back and formulate this new theory as to why you&#8217;re there on May fifth, when was it that you went and told the police about this new theory you&#8217;d formulated?

REVELLE: I never talked to the police. After that.

DAVIS: You never told this to the police?

REVELLE: No sir.

Others also put Jessie wrestling in Dyess on the night of the murders. It is my opinion that they are lying...or mistaken.

It&#8217;s my opinion that Jessie&#8217;s dad organised people to make statements on behalf of his son that were untrue. (also alluded to by the prosecution)

Conveniently, all of Jessie&#8217;s alibi witnesses claimed to remember that day specifically because of various things&#8230;(A police report and a receipt)
Well&#8230;.the police said they never saw Jessie and the receipt was for the WEEK BEFORE the murders.

You see, Jessie&#8217;s own father said that he may have been there, but that he didn&#8217;t think he was involved in it.
In court he attempted to say that even though he made that comment, he remembered exactly where Jessie was because that was the night that he (Jessie Sr) had to go to a DWI class.
So&#8230;.if he was NOW sure where Jessie was&#8230;.why was he originally telling people that Jessie may have been there?
Because he DID NOT KNOW WHERE JESSIE WAS.

So, Jessie Sr reckons he can remember that night (may 5th) because of a DWI class:

A: It was seven o'clock when I got out of DWI school.

Unfortunately, the teacher of the class testified:

Q: Okay. And when would those classes end?

A: Well, anywhere from 7:30 to 8:00. But on these particular ones, they ran closer to 8:00 because it was my first ...? and I was being evaluated.

The prosecution attempted to show that these alibis were manufactured.
It&#8217;s my opinion that they succeeded in doing that.

Jason:

Jason&#8217;s lawyer, Paul &#8220;like my ponytail?&#8221; Ford, didn&#8217;t establish an alibi for Jason in court, IIRC, he said in one of the PL films to Jason: (PARAPHRASING BTW) &#8220;look how they tore into Damien&#8217;s witnesses? Well they can&#8217;t do that to you because we didn&#8217;t call any!!!!&#8221;

This is Matt's statement

As you can see, Matt was not with Jason all the time.
And no, Jason does not have a &#8220;solid alibi&#8221;.

Jason&#8217;s great uncle says that Jason went to mow his yard at 4.30 - 6.30pm.
He says Jason was alone.

Domini says that she and Damien went with him to watch him mow his Uncle&#8217;s lawn.
She says that they got to his uncles at 4-4.15pm.

Well, Matt says that Jason left his trailer at 4.30pm.
Matt doesn&#8217;t see either Damien or Domini:

MATTHEW: YEA, JASON AND KEN DID, THEY WALKED UP TO

FOGLEMAN: DID YOU SEE THEM LEAVE?

MATTHEW: YEA

FOGLEMAN: ALRIGHT, WERE THEY ALONG WHEN THEY LEFT?

MATTHEW: YEA

FOGLEMAN: ARE YOU SURE?

MATTHEW: YEA, I'M SURE

FOGLEMAN: ALRIGHT, DO YOU KNOW WHY KEN WOULD SAY THAT... THAT UH DAMIEN AND DOMINI WERE THERE?

MATTHEW: THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN THERE AFTER THEY LEFT THE TRAILER, THEY MIGHT OF COME UP ON THEM

Yeah they might&#8217;ve? Cept Domini says she was AT his trailer and left WITH Jason and Damien and Ken:

DOMINI- YEAH, WE ALL WENT BACK TO HIS HOUSE.

FOGLEMAN- ALRIGHT. AND WHO WAS AT JASON'S HOUSE WHEN YOU GOT THERE?

DOMINI- UM...HIS LITTLE BROTHERS.

FOGLEMAN- WHT ARE THERE NAMES?

DOMINI- MATTHEW AND TERRY. AND HE CALLED HIS MOM, AND HIS MOM TOLD HIM HE NEEDED TO GO OVER TO HIS UNCLE'S AND MOW THE LAWN.

FOGLEMAN- OKAY.

DOMINI- SO, WE ALL GOT UP AND WE ALL WALKED OVER TO HIS UNCLE'S.

FOGLEMAN- OKAY. ABOUT WHAT TIME DID YA'LL GET TO HIS UNCLE'S?

DOMINI- UM...4 O'CLOCK(INAUDIBLE) SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

Shame that Jason&#8217;s Great Uncle doesn&#8217;t recall seeing Damien or Domini either huh?
Oh wait that&#8217;s right&#8230;.he DID see them, just not on May 5th.

1) Jessie confessed many times, both before and after his conviction. He confessed to his own attorney, and his own attorney thought they would be entering a guilty plea. But mysteriously, Stidham decided his client was lying after he learned HBO would be filming Paradise Lost. I think Stidham knew he could make a name for himself with this controversial and high profile case -- but only if he fought the charges. And he was right, though I think he also knows he screwed Jessie in the process which is why he is still such a zealous supporter today.

2) Jessie said he was so drunk he threw up. We are not talking about a photographic mind to begin with, so I can see why Jessie does not remember particular details clearly. Also, when he went to the WMPD, he was not intending to confess. The story he started with was a complete lie, but the investigators cornered him and he began to insert more and more truth into what he was saying. Eventually, he gave them a confession that still contained some lies but that does not mean the whole thing is untrue.

Also, many details of what Jessie said make sense. Michael was not mutilated or sexually abused, consistent with Jessie's confession. Michael was found away from the other two, also consistent with Jessie "holding him there" away from the other two. Tammy and Memphis have a good list of the many consistencies.

3) The Evan Williams bottle. Jessie could've said he was drinking anything, but low and behold the smashed bottle recovered from the overpass matched the contours of an Evan Williams bottle. He said he got it from Vickie Hutchenson, which is verified.

4) None of them have a plausible alibi. They all lied about their whereabouts during the critical time period. Damien and Jason were asked for their alibis less than a week after the murders, so I cannot chalk it up to just forgetting. They changed their alibis, and they new ones still did not work.

5) Jessie said Damien and Jason were drinking beer shortly before the murders. Damien's attorneys said they will buy him a beer if the jury comes back with a not guilty verdict. Damien laughed and said "no more beer." Given the context, it implies that he thought beer was somehow responsible for him being there on trial.

6) Damien's dad had left him on May 4, and he had not taken his medication. This is on top of the fact that he was already unstable as evidenced by his multiple recent hospitalizations and Exhibit 500.

7) Damien lived at the Mayfair apartments as a child, which overlooks the crime scene. The crime scene is also a logical mid-point between the trailer parks where the WM3 live. If you were to walk on foot it is a logical cut through, and the foot-worn trails indicate people had used it for that very purpose. Damien had been seen in the neighborhood by multiple witnesses on other days. Damien admits he was familiar with the area first denying it on the stand. I also find it interesting that Jason was allegedly interested in torturing a bum, and this would be a good spot to find one.

8) Damien failed the polygraph, and purposefully toyed with investigators.

9) Damien licked his lips at the parents.

10) Damien's necklace had blood on it consistent with either Jason or Steve Branch. Steve Branch is the one Jessie said Damien was attacking.

11) Jessie still has never taken the stand, even on appeal. If he really wanted to prove he had ineffective counsel, then nobody would have a better first hand account than him. But I think Jessie is saving the option to testify against the WM3 in a new trial. If he were to take the stand during appeal and say he was never at the crime scene, then it would devalue his testimony for future use.

12) In Paradise Lost, Jessie's sister says "Damien's not so bad" or something, and Jessie immediately gives her a sharp look that says "Are you crazy?" I think this "cryptic" message from Jessie says he believes Damien is guilty of the crime. In fact, I think he blames Damien for his own predicament.

13) Damien's account of the events change constantly, even today. He explains his "transformation" letter as "maybe part of a short story or something." He never got to experience the internet, so maybe he does not understand how easy it is to detect a lie.

14) Symbolism in Damien's artwork. Maybe around 2004, Damien did a series of artwork in which he would cut out the eyes of all the people. There was one where the sky had clouds made of many eyes, and down below there was a person with no eyes. It's cryptic symbolism, and I think it says: I can hide the truth from these people, but if there is a God, it knows.

15) The defense theories keep shifting because each one is proven worthless. Bojangles, JMB's lock knife, JMB as a drug informant, the "bite mark" and JMB's new dentures, now animal predation, THe hair, etc. Having been around to see all these theories parade by with confident support behind each one, it just helps you see a pattern to it all. As Domini once said to LG Hollingsworth (RIP) in the taped phone call, "his lawyer is just trying to point the finger at anyone but him."

Michael Carson never said he lied about Baldwin's confession. Some freak who's now dead made that claim. Carson maintains his testimony to this day (and passed a polygraph).

Michael Carson never said he lied about Baldwin's confession. Some freak who's now dead made that claim. Carson maintains his testimony to this day (and passed a polygraph).

I'm surprised Damien's lawyers did not tell him to act appropriately, ESPECIALLY since he was ON trial for murder.

Even if he was innocent, he still should have shown respect to the judge, jury, his own family and esp. the families of the desceased.

just goes to show how detached Damien really is.

Also, supposedly, Jessie to this day is still confessing his involvement and he's adding numerous new details as well.

I'm surprised Damien's lawyers did not tell him to act appropriately, ESPECIALLY since he was ON trial for murder.

Even if he was innocent, he still should have shown respect to the judge, jury, his own family and esp. the families of the desceased.

just goes to show how detached Damien really is.

Also, supposedly, Jessie to this day is still confessing his involvement and he's adding numerous new details as well.

I spoke with Todd Moore (Michael's dad). Damien indeed blew kisses at the family members during the trial.

He's not innocent. He was proud of his crimes. Now that he's on death row and he realizes the aliens aren't coming to take him away - it has sunk in he is going to ****ing die. I suspect prison meds have brought him back to reality.

Yes - Jessie is still confessing to this day.

There was a supporter named trueromance who was actually in communications with jessie. She went to visit him in prison, and upon her return, she became a "non" and cut off contact with him.

5/92. E. Arkansas Mental Health Center: Client admits to having been suspended seven times this past semester for initiating fights at school and starting fires. States in one fight he almost gouged out the victim’s eyes.

Clinical report based on psychological tests: The behavior of this youngster is characterized by impulsive hostility...the desire to gain power and demean others springs from animosity and a wish to vindicate past grievances. This teenager believes that past degradations may be undone by provoking fear and intimidation in others. Cool and distant, this youth demonstrates little or no compassion for others.

5/19/92. Damien arrested for breaking into a trailer with his 15 year old girlfriend, Deanna Holcomb. Suicide pact if they couldn’t be together. Damien threatening to kill police officers and Deanna’s father when picked up. Convicted of second-degree burglary and sexual misconduct.

5/19/92 to 6/1/92. Craighead County Juvenile Detention Center.

Damien voiced suicide plan to folks at the center. Staff reported that Damien and Deanna planned to have a baby and sacrifice it. Damien knocked a peer to the ground, sucked the blood from the boy’s wounded arm and rubbed the blood on his face. No remorse. Deanna is hospitalized at Mid-South Hospital in Memphis.

Joyce Cureton, Juvenile Director, reported that “it is our opinion that Damien needs mental health treatment.”

6/1/92 to 6/25/92. Charter Hospital of Little Rock. Immediate hospitalization due to suicidal intent.

Admits to a history of violence and attempting to scratch out the eyes of a classmate. There were major concerns that Damien was exhibiting disturbed thinking. He has a history of extreme physical aggression toward others. It was felt that he needed to be temporarily removed from his environment to provide protection for him and protection for others.

Damien states, “I burn myself with lighters. I have huffed gas and paint, used speed, marijuana, glue, and alcohol.”

Progress Notes:

Damien stated that he got ahold of a police officer’s gun, and that if Deanna’s father had acted aggressively, “I would have blown him away and the next time I will eliminate that person.”

Denies having a conscience or feelings of regret.

Stares into space and shows no emotional response to any kind of stimuli.

Verbalized concern that there are surveillance cameras behind his mirror and under the desk in his room. Quite paranoid; he definitely bears watching.

Still drawing witchcraft symbols & continues to speak of bizarre and unusual practices.

Makes an unusual sound with his mouth that sounds like a cat purr.

States that visit with parents didn’t go well, but would not elaborate.

Damien’s mother concerned about her son “not learning to deal with anger and rages.” Thinks Damien is responding to outside stimulation. Voiced fear that “son may be crazy.”

6/25/92. Damien discharged to mother with instructions for continuing care. Family moving to Oregon.

8/13/92 Home Visit Evaluation by Calvin Downey, Oregon Juvenile Counselor:

Damien indicates he did spend approximately 30 days in a psychiatric hospital via court order, because he was suicidal. He feel his prior depression has improved greatly. Denies use of nonprescribed, controlled substances or alcohol.

Mrs. Echols indicates there are no family conflicts with Damien, that he gets along well with the family, that she does not believe he has a behavioral problem & that she does not need any services from this state.

9/1/92. Officer Ortez is called to the Echols’ apartment in Oregon. Damien transported to St. Vincent’s Hospital.

Emergency Room Report: The patient denies suicidal or homicidal ideation. However, in talking with family members, they state that he made it quite clear that he had thoughts of harming other people, i.e. was going to cut mother’s throat, and also made verbal threats to his father here at St. Vincent’s.

Parents state that he has sniffed propane, glue, gasoline and almost any other drug that is possible. Parental concerns regarding satanism, devil worship.

Admission diagnosis: Suicidal/homicidal ideation.

9/4/92. Discharged from St. Vincent’s. Because of Damien’s threats, both parents do not feel that they wish to have him return to their home. They are frightened of him and what he can do, not only to them but to the other children who reside in the home (2 others). Damien is to return to Arkansas by bus.

9/14/92 to 9/28/92. Readmitted to Charter Hospital from Juvenile Detention Center. He admitted to sucking the blood out of a peer’s neck while in the Center. The other peers were afraid of him. Threats to kill both parents (slash throats, eat alive).

Presenting problem: Homicidal and psychosis. Alteration in thought processes evidenced by delusional thinking and inappropriate social behavior.

Progress notes: Belief in devil worship, has agreed to threatening to “kill” others. Bizarre behaviors. Stated he had attempted suicide before and “wasn’t worried about trying again, because I know I can come back.”

Says he’s going to eat father and that he needs to be locked up or he will hurt someone.

Peers complaining of Damien making growling sounds at them.

Continues talk of satanism. Possible deprogramming needed. Could be a danger to others.

Continues laughing strangely and getting peers to feed into his satanism. Tries to keep staff from seeing him do anything other than what’s appropriate according to unit guidelines. Depressed mood, bizarre behavior.

Said he was “happy to be here because otherwise he’d be in jail and this has to be better.”

Spoke with Jerry Driver re: Damien’s discharge to stepfather Jack Echols. Said this was “ok”.

Diagnosis: Psychotic Disorder NOS and Dysthymia. Prognosis: Poor.

1/5/93. Mental Health Center reopens case: Reports self-mutilation, cutting self with knives. Will “trance out” since 5th grade - doesn’t have to deal with what’s going on. Says he thinks a lot about life after death--”I want to go where the monsters go.” He admits being caught with satanic items, but denies cult involvement.

Is interested in witchcraft for the past 8 years. He has tried to steal energy from someone else and influence others’ minds with witchcraft. Describes self as “pretty much hates the human race.” Relates that he feels people are in two classes--sheep and wolves (wolves eat the sheep).

1/13/93: Damien reports that he’s very angry with family members and with other people who have “let him down”. He discussed issues of power & control. He states that he could make things happen. Affect and mood was flat.

1/19/93: Reveals history of abuse as he talked of how he was treated as a child. States, “I just put it all inside.” Describes this as more than just anger - like rage. Sometimes he does “blow up.” Relates that when this happens, the only solution is to “hurt someone.” When questioned on his feelings he states, “I know I’m going to influence the world. People will remember me.”

1/20/93: Damien is an 18 year old, recently discharged from Charter Hospital. He’s had three psychiatric hospitalizations. Each has been associated with anger, thoughts of killing others, and thoughts of killing himself.

1/25/93: Speaks of rituals, drinking blood, more involved in demonology. Damien explained that he obtains his power by drinking blood of others. He typically drinks the blood of a sexual partner or of a ruling partner. This is achieved by biting or cutting. He states, “It makes me feel like a god.”

Damien describes drinking blood as giving him more power and strength. He remembers doing this as far back as age 10. He wants very much to be all powerful. He wants very much to be in total control.

Damien relates that a spirit is now living with him. The spirit was put inside him last year. He indicates that a month ago, the spirit decided to become part of him and he to become part of the spirit. This is reportedly a spirit of a woman who was killed by her husband. In addition, he also reports conversations with demons and other spirits. This is achieved through rituals.

He denies that he’s satanic, seeing himself more as being involved in demonology.

Affect and mood today continued to be bland, although there was more emotion when talking about drinking blood.

2/5/93: Damien is noted to have cuts on his right arm and hand. Related that he cut himself as a way of permanently marking his skin. Related feeling very angry yesterday when running into previous girlfriend. “I controlled it - I can do anything.”

5/5/93: At times he is impulsive and does things that may be harmful to him. He has impulses to do strange and harmful things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24
Back