Australia Mysterious Bone found Cottesloe Beach, Western Australia, 28th September 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the article it kind of implies that it could possibly be a femur, but not a typical one or am I reading too much into it.
The article has since been updated thus:
“A forensic officer attended Cottesloe Beach and collected the bone,” a WA Police spokesman said.

The bone is about 40cm long and appears to be a femur.

A police spokesman said the bone had since undergone further assessment by a pathologist who determined it was human.

“Further forensic testing will now take place to match the bone to any outstanding missing persons,” the spokesman said.
(bolding mine)

Cottesloe Beach is about five miles west of Perth, the capital of WA, though it's on the seaward side of the Swan River bank. Sadly there are plenty of local possibilities for an ID. Jeanne D'Arcy went missing from Cottesloe in 2022, and was last recorded walking towards the beach. Julie Cutler's car was found in the sea off Cottesloe Beach after she went missing in 1988. (Those two are the most likely, IMHO). Kenneth Gibbs is missing from Cottesloe since 2008 under unclear circumstances. Zehong Chen went overboard from a ship in the area in 2019. Matthew Bale went missing from Rottnest Island, about 10 miles offshore, in 2016. Ian Tolli was last seen kayaking out to sea from Pt. Peron, about 20 miles south, in 2020.

In the article it kind of implies that it could possibly be a femur, but not a typical one or am I reading too much into it.
I'm just a humble totally-not-verified GP (and it's a long time since anatomy classes, although I do sometimes look at the odd Xray), so take this as my opinion only...but as soon as I saw the photo I thought "That is totally a human bone...but it looks like a tibia (shin bone), not a femur (thigh bone)."

I'm just a humble totally-not-verified GP (and it's a long time since anatomy classes, although I do sometimes look at the odd Xray), so take this as my opinion only...but as soon as I saw the photo I thought "That is totally a human bone...but it looks like a tibia (shin bone), not a femur (thigh bone)."
You're totally right! There's no ball to fit into the socket of the hip. I assume it's a typo somewhere.

This article says human tibia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NonakaYori
Back