Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's my offer. If any doctors look like they might be related and they now have a practice anywhere between Corpus Christi and Houston, I volunteer to deliver a hand-written letter to the receptionist of the doctor personally. Someone else has to write the letter. I go again in 4 weeks.

One thing bothers me about the crime scene photos. It looks like the girl just layed down on her back. It makes me think their were more than one person involved with the murders. Because if they were forced out of the car and the killer started shooting one of them it seems like the other one would attempt to run or get away but it looks like they just waited their turn.

1-2-John-&-Jane-Doe-crime-s.jpg

The LE there seem to be open to the internet....

If you have any information about this case, call Sumter County Coroner Verna Moore at her office (803) 436.2111 or on her beeper (803)778.3613

Authorities ponder if today's technology might have helped solve the crime.
Some officials wonder whether the case would have been solved by now if today's advanced technology had been available 28 years ago.
''I feel like we used every source then and throughout the years at our disposal to get the information out,'' Mims said. "That would be a big question mark: If today's technology would have advanced the identification process.''

"I feel like it would have,''

Hi Rhett, I wish we could view a pic of the initials on the ring. Engravings are often still done that way - with the Last name initial in the center, and that initial is usually larger than the other two outside ones.

Marie came up with the idea of seeing a photograph of the ring after Rhett mentioned about the initials. I PMd Marie and asked her if she would mind if I e-mailed the Sumter County Sheriff to see if there was any way we could get a photo of the ring. Having never contacted LE before about a case, I should have mentioned why we wanted to see the photograph to ask if the initial P was larger than the others, but I didn't think of it then. They responded right away and forwarded my e-mail to the Investigative Unit. I got a response which I posted below. I did e-mail Sgt. Mackessy back to ask if he could still tell if the P was larger. I haven't heard back yet, but like I said I should have told them in my initial e-mail why we wanted to see the photograph. Anyway, they were very helpful and prompt and I don't want to bother them too much. So if he writes back about the size of the initials, I'll post his response.

Mrs. Miller
Thank you for your interest in this case. In answer to your question about the initials “JPF” on the inside of the ring worn by the unknown male. An attempt was made to photograph the initials without success. The initials are in such a condition to prevent photography. In regards to the teeth. We have had a Forensic Dentist examine the teeth and he is in the process of compiling a dental record on both the male and the female. Currently the teeth and the femur bones have been sent to the FBI Lab in Texas to extract DNA and compare the DNA to the worldwide data bases. I hope I have adequately answered your questions. Thank you again for your interest and your help.

Sgt Ray Mackessy
Crime Scene Unit Supervisor
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office
Sumter, SC

Marie came up with the idea of seeing a photograph of the ring after Rhett mentioned about the initials. I PMd Marie and asked her if she would mind if I e-mailed the Sumter County Sheriff to see if there was any way we could get a photo of the ring. Having never contacted LE before about a case, I should have mentioned why we wanted to see the photograph to ask if the initial P was larger than the others, but I didn't think of it then. They responded right away and forwarded my e-mail to the Investigative Unit. I got a response which I posted below. I did e-mail Sgt. Mackessy back to ask if he could still tell if the P was larger. I haven't heard back yet, but like I said I should have told them in my initial e-mail why we wanted to see the photograph. Anyway, they were very helpful and prompt and I don't want to bother them too much. So if he writes back about the size of the initials, I'll post his response.

Mrs. Miller
Thank you for your interest in this case. In answer to your question about the initials “JPF” on the inside of the ring worn by the unknown male. An attempt was made to photograph the initials without success. The initials are in such a condition to prevent photography. In regards to the teeth. We have had a Forensic Dentist examine the teeth and he is in the process of compiling a dental record on both the male and the female. Currently the teeth and the femur bones have been sent to the FBI Lab in Texas to extract DNA and compare the DNA to the worldwide data bases. I hope I have adequately answered your questions. Thank you again for your interest and your help.

Sgt Ray Mackessy
Sumter, SC

wow that was QUICK,,,,,I cant wait to her the response It would help us to rule out the last name as an F......keep us updated thanks !!!!!

Good job! Makes me wonder if your email was the only thing they have gotten on this case in a long time! While it is too bad we can't obtain a photo of the initials, determining if the middle letter is larger will certainly make a huge difference.

Mrs. Miller

Sgt Ray Mackessy
Sumter, SC

Yes, very good job! :clap: You must have wrote one impressive email to get the quick and helpful response that you did :) Don't feel bad at all for forgetting to mention why we wanted to know. I can't wait to hear about the middle initial!!

I'm a little disappointed with his reply regarding the teeth. I really wanted to know if he actually had missing teeth or not since that could pinpoint how long he'd been away from home before his murder. But it's good news about the Forensic Dentist compiling a record - maybe it'll be published again.

Wish the DNA tests would hurry up already

Thank you all...I'm disappointed in the teeth too. I know it sometimes takes months to get DNA. They exhumed the bodies in June so it's been almost 3 months now.

I just received this reply from Sgt. Mackessy -

All the initials are of the same size.

hmmmmm same size.....now im leaning on the side of the F being the last name. Who wants to write Dr Forsey? I would but I cant barely spell and write here LOL

he would think I was a moron.....

I just received this reply from Sgt. Mackessy -

All the initials are of the same size.

I'm so glad you wrote to him as that's such an important clue. I agree with phenolred, F is most likely the last name initial. Now lets hope he didn't steal it ;)

ok I had been doing alot a searching for the guy, and I just swiched over to the girl looking on google for "missing 3 moles" daughter sister missing several moles on face. and remember she had one on her right leg calf too but I was focusing on the ones on the face because anybody that knew her would see those... No luck so far feel free to help out with this...I thought somebody might have posted something on a website about a missing friend realitive etc that went missing in the 70's with 3 small moles on her face!!!!

ok I had been doing alot a searching for the guy, and I just swiched over to the girl looking on google for "missing 3 moles" daughter sister missing several moles on face. and remember she had one on her right leg calf too but I was focusing on the ones on the face because anybody that knew her would see those... No luck so far feel free to help out with this...I thought somebody might have posted something on a website about a missing friend realitive etc that went missing in the 70's with 3 small moles on her face!!!!

I've done the same thing with both of them. Great minds think alike, lol. :) Lots of newspaperarchive.com searches, too. I get creeped out at all the gruesome crimes that took place in the 'good ol' days'; reporting used to be a lot more lurid.

Keep it up. Someone, somewhere knows these two - old friends, family, their mailman, drug dealer, priest, co-worker, somebody!

I think our John Doe left home in his late teens, in the very late 1960's or early 1970's. He was probably never reported missing, which is why I was thinking the same as you - a friend or relative looking for him (or her) could be our best shot.

Who wants to write Dr Forsey? I would but I cant barely spell and write here LOL

I'd be willing to volunteer to do that- however, I think that perhaps the LE folks who are working in this case should be consulted first... since any letter I would send would direct the Dr. to contact LE in SC if he's related to these people.

Also there are people here who've been "working" this case longer than me so I would certainly not want to step on any toes in that regard.

Thoughts?

Good idea...I actually thought I found her once on a missing persons site from Canada but the age didn't match up and she wasn't reported missing until the 1980s sometime. That's about the only way we would probably find her, is to happen upon her photo on a missing persons website from where ever she is from. But it was a good idea to think about the moles on her face. They were rather prominent.

I'd be willing to volunteer to do that- however, I think that perhaps the LE folks who are working in this case should be consulted first... since any letter I would send would direct the Dr. to contact LE in SC if he's related to these people.

Also there are people here who've been "working" this case longer than me so I would certainly not want to step on any toes in that regard.

Thoughts?

Phenolred and rmf - I do think the resemblance between John Doe and Dr. Forsey is uncanny. I don't feel qualified either though to contact him and agree any contacting should be done through the Sumter County LE. I really don't know how to approach it with them...I don't want to bug them again for a while (LOL)...They probably all had a good laugh about "some woman in Ohio who thinks she can solve this!" Seriously though, they couldn't have been nicer but I don't want to push it with them just now. But there is such a strong resemblance!

Phenolred and rmf - I do think the resemblance between John Doe and Dr. Forsey is uncanny. I don't feel qualified either though to contact him and agree any contacting should be done through the Sumter County LE. I really don't know how to approach it with them...I don't want to bug them again for a while (LOL)...They probably all had a good laugh about "some woman in Ohio who thinks she can solve this!" Seriously though, they couldn't have been nicer but I don't want to push it with them just now. But there is such a strong resemblance!

Here's an idea:

Since you've already had contact with the LE folks in this case, how about crafting a note to them, laying out the theory about the Canadian doctor, the search of the Royal College of Physicians in Canada and the possible "hit" on Dr. Forsey. (Including links to the photo comparison along with Dr. Forsey's information)

You could then mention that you thought this may be a feasible lead and that you wanted that information passed along to them so that if they so choose, they can pursue it.

That may be the best route, no?

PS: I highly doubt they think you're a good laugh. Small jurisdictions like that one have limited resources and likely appreciate the help a "fresh brain" can offer in a situation like this. :)

I believe Ms. Verna would be delighted if the great minds here at Websleuths could help with this cold case.
I have read here for years, rarely post but this is in my backyard so to speak :)
~~Nancy

Ms. Verna Moore, Coroner

Sumter County Courthouse
141 N. Main Street - 1st Floor
Sumter, South Carolina 29150
Phone: 803-436-2111 (Office)
Bpr: 803-778-3613 * Fax: 803-436-2495
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM till 5:00 PM

Here's an idea:

Since you've already had contact with the LE folks in this case, how about crafting a note to them, laying out the theory about the Canadian doctor, the search of the Royal College of Physicians in Canada and the possible "hit" on Dr. Forsey. (Including links to the photo comparison along with Dr. Forsey's information)

You could then mention that you thought this may be a feasible lead and that you wanted that information passed along to them so that if they so choose, they can pursue it.

That may be the best route, no?

PS: I highly doubt they think you're a good laugh. Small jurisdictions like that one have limited resources and likely appreciate the help a "fresh brain" can offer in a situation like this. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I think it's a good idea but I think I'll hold off just for a bit...Like I said, I really think Dr. Forsey and John Doe look alike but I want to do a bit more searching about Dr. F online first. Thanks again! :)

I believe Ms. Verna would be delighted if the great minds here at Websleuths could help with this cold case.
I have read here for years, rarely post but this is in my backyard so to speak :)
~~Nancy

Ms. Verna Moore, Coroner

Sumter County Courthouse
141 N. Main Street - 1st Floor
Sumter, South Carolina 29150
Phone: 803-436-2111 (Office)
Bpr: 803-778-3613 * Fax: 803-436-2495
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM till 5:00 PM

Nancy, I always thought if I ever found out anything useful about this I would contact Verna Moore. I think about her a lot when I'm searching online for info about this case. I have only been looking for possible leads on the identity of these 2 since I first read about the case in 2004...that's just 3 years...she has literally been pursuing this for 31 years! She is determined never to give up on at least finding out who they are.

Nancy, I always thought if I ever found out anything useful about this I would contact Verna Moore. I think about her a lot when I'm searching online for info about this case. I have only been looking for possible leads on the identity of these 2 since I first read about the case in 2004...that's just 3 years...she has literally been pursuing this for 31 years! She is determined never to give up on at least finding out who they are.

I think contacting Verna is a fantastic idea! I wouldn't waste any time... what do you have to lose? If you want help drafting a letter, PM me, I'd be glad to assist. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dane_Fall