Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see the new article. This case has always haunted me.

Here is something to think about though. There is/was a case called Summerfield (IL) Jane Doe. She was found in 1986 and only identified earlier this year. This woman was one quite a bit older than the Doe info had said, and, she was from California, had been adopted and had not been heard from by her adoptive family since 1976 - ten years before she was found murdered in Southern IL. Her family was not in any way looking for her. That is her adoptive family. Apparently they had issues in her teens and after she took off, they pretty much wrote her off. This bothers me and has made me look at things differently. For example she was close to 30 and the Doe info showed her as 17 - 22, IIRC and I don't feel like looking it up right now as the whole case bums me out so bad. But, then again she wasn't in any missing persons list anywhere. Just something to think about, not sure why I felt like sharing this here, but, I did.

I went back to the old thread to refresh my memory and I found this from an old newspaper article.
About a PI in Virginia his name Wolfgang I wonder if he is still working on this. But what I really found interesting was the info on the girls ring. This article says there were markings inside, but I have also heard there were NOT markings. If there are markings I would love to know what the are or what they look like so we could pursue that.

Wolfgang Stihl,
Stihl says the rings were probably handmade, and he hopes to use symbols on the inside of the bands to identify the artist and perhaps identify places where the girl bought the jewelry.

I do not think any of those rings were hand made The Turquoise stones are still very popular. I had a Linde Star Sapphire ring just like John Doe's years ago. These rings are very popular around the truck stops.

I do not think any of those rings were hand made The Turquoise stones are still very popular. I had a Linde Star Sapphire ring just like John Doe's years ago. These rings are very popular around the truck stops.

I am inclined to agree. The sapphire ring was fairly common and the turquoise rings may be as well. What's compelling here is the fact that they were found with their jewelry in tact and they did not seem to be without resources were obviously not victims of a robbery.

I am inclined to agree. The sapphire ring was fairly common and the turquoise rings may be as well. What's compelling here is the fact that they were found with their jewelry in tact and they did not seem to be without resources were obviously not victims of a robbery.

But where is their luggage? Where were they staying before they ended up shot on the side of the road?

i PM'd you two phone numbers I found in VA for someone with that name...:blowkiss:

Wolfgang was working with Verna Moore on this case for a while. According to her, he stopped returning her calls and sort of disappeared. I think it would be wise not to call someone randomly either, this person may have reasons for not wanting to be involved with the case any more and his privacy should be respected IMO.

Yeah I kinda thought so too so I have NOT attempted to contact him in any way. I had just read the old article and wondered if he were still working on this case too. So you have answered the question as far as wonder what happend with him, apparently he didnt want to respond to Verna anymore. But I found it interesting that he had indicated her rings had markings and everything else has always indicated they did NOT have markings.

the more I look at the new pics the more they look alike to me not only the nose but now the ears look similar to me. Is is just me or do her ears look kinda strange or kind of large. She also has beautiful eyebrows.

I just found this person listed as a missing person in July 1977 but I know how dates can sometimes be a little off what do you think?

Added | 17th Mar 2008
Simon Armley

lost&

Age at disappearance: 24
Simon has been missing from Eastbourne, East Sussex since 28 July 1977. His current whereabouts are unknown.
He is urged to make contact by calling the confidential service, Message Home on Freefone 0800 700 740, or by informing his local police station that he has been reported as a missing person and that he is safe and well.

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/areyoumissing/missing/detail.asp?dsid=1310

I'm sorry but I don't see any resemblance whats so ever. Not even close. IMO

Does anyone know if the result of the DNA came back? And if so - are they siblings or not?

I dont think there has been any word yet on the DNA

Number 36 looks very much like John Doe...did anyone else notice this??

I guess I can sort of see BOTH victims in picture number 36. Maybe I need to take a break and get some sleep??? lol. Seriously, the guy in Picture No. 36 looks older, but he has on glasses and isn't clean shaven. Where exactly did the pictures that number 36 is included with come from?

OK.....on further analysis, Jock's hair looks much straighter than the guy in picture No. 36. This case is going to drive me insane. :banghead:

I guess I can sort of see BOTH victims in picture number 36. Maybe I need to take a break and get some sleep??? lol. Seriously, the guy in Picture No. 36 looks older, but he has on glasses and isn't clean shaven. Where exactly did the pictures that number 36 is included with come from?

They were in with pics from a serial killer who posed as a photographer, and they still have these pics of people he had and have been unable to identify. Some they have and they were found alive and well others werent so lucky to have him take their pics.

Thanks Phenol!!! I recall the serial killer with the pictures. Isn't it horrible that there are so many missing people and no one who knew them is bumping into us who are so desperately searching for them here on the internet?? Frustrating!

Hey guys.....I was reviewing the new pictures from the most recent article published in Canada regarding these 2 and I swear the more I look and the crime scence pics of them with their heads slightly turned they looks so different. You can see the way their noses looked. They really do look very ethnic in these profiles it looks like their noses are soooo much alike AND their teeth....I love how they have shown her with her mouth slightly open and they look like their teeth have the same shape....

I am starting to believe maybe they are brother and sister. But, you would think that would make them easier to identify but, then again, if their father was in with drug smuggling or the mob or something, maybe they arent looking for them they know what happended but never came forward for fear they too would be killed.

I have heard of this happening where they kill the ones closest to you as warning or because you crossed them.

I wish we knew more news. Has anyone heard if the article has brought forth any new leads? Are any of them promising?

And I wish they would get the DNA back at least thats something.

I saw on the news the other day about the FBI and their DNA labs and backlogs etc etc

They have indicated how technology has prgressed and they are now able to do some of the dna processing with a robot maching which can test many at a time rather than one by one by hand .

But there are still backlogs and there are new victims getting raped killed etc because their dna from a previous case has not been processed yet. If it had been there wouldnt have been a victim #2 or #3 and so on......

Hey guys.....I was reviewing the new pictures from the most recent article published in Canada regarding these 2 and I swear the more I look and the crime scence pics of them with their heads slightly turned they looks so different. You can see the way their noses looked. They really do look very ethnic in these profiles it looks like their noses are soooo much alike AND their teeth....I love how they have shown her with her mouth slightly open and they look like their teeth have the same shape....

I am starting to believe maybe they are brother and sister. But, you would think that would make them easier to identify but, then again, if their father was in with drug smuggling or the mob or something, maybe they arent looking for them they know what happended but never came forward for fear they too would be killed.

I have heard of this happening where they kill the ones closest to you as warning or because you crossed them.

I wish we knew more news. Has anyone heard if the article has brought forth any new leads? Are any of them promising?

And I wish they would get the DNA back at least thats something.

I saw on the news the other day about the FBI and their DNA labs and backlogs etc etc

They have indicated how technology has prgressed and they are now able to do some of the dna processing with a robot maching which can test many at a time rather than one by one by hand .

But there are still backlogs and there are new victims getting raped killed etc because their dna from a previous case has not been processed yet. If it had been there wouldnt have been a victim #2 or #3 and so on......

Hi Phenolred,

I agree with nearly everything you said. They do look very ethnic. If they are not French Canadian they could possibly be from South America, France, Spain, Mexico, Cuba...that's what is so difficult about this, not having a clue where they could be from in the whole wide world. They do look somewhat alike but I'm not convinced they are brother and sister yet. I could be wrong. But again you're right on both counts, if they were siblings there would definitely be someone looking for them since 2 members of the same family would be missing. Maybe they were cousins?? And if it was a mob hit, or they were involved in something pretty bad, it would make family and friends fearful to be searching. You know, possibly they were involved in some underworld dealings and their loved ones DO know what happened to them and they're too afraid to investigate it any further. I don't know though, you would think someone would let the investigators in Sumter County know who they were if that were the case.

As far as I know, there have been no leads from the article in the National Post of Canada, which is very disappointing. I think Verna has had some phone calls from the article, but no leads. And no word back on the DNA yet either.

I composed a letter briefly summarizing the case and also provided links to the article in the National Post and the Crime Library story, along with Verna's phone number and Sgt. Ray Mackessy's number of the Sumter County Sheriff. I sent it to America's Most Wanted to see if they would do a piece on it. I am also sending it to 48 Hours and possibly 60 Minutes later today. Although I haven't watched 60 Minutes in years, and I don't know if they do crime stories, I figured they have a pretty big audience so it couldn't hurt. I also thought about Greta Van Susteren, Nancy Grace and Dan Abrams on MSNBC. Oh, I also sent it to Dateline. It would just be wonderful if SOMEONE would reply and actually do a story on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966