Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are too old for NCMEC to get involved. Jane is believed to be 18-25 years old and Jock is believed to be in his late twenties.

They are actually eligible. Any UID that could be under 25, NCMEC will do a reconstruction for.

I haven't been able to go through all of this massive topic, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. Could this possibly be Linda Miller and "Cary Kristal"? It's so hard to see details in the grainy pictures available, but I can see a general resemblance.
Missing Person Case
Original

I haven't been able to go through all of this massive topic, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. Could this possibly be Linda Miller and "Cary Kristal"? It's so hard to see details in the grainy pictures available, but I can see a general resemblance.
Missing Person Case
Original

I can see the resemblance with both of them. It's possible they got involved with drug trafficking, just being young and naive.

Sadly, there is little hope they will be identified. No family or families have come forward, which is the only hope.

Okay so here's something I haven't seen mentioned before. It is mentioned in many sources that Jane's eyelashes were unusually long. Apparently they were so long that they had to be mentioned.
I found some information about a condition called trichomelagy. It's a condition in which the eyelashes are abnormally long. It can be linked to some other conditions and it can run in the family. I'm wondering if Jane was suffering from trichomelagy? Even if she was, would it help with her identification? Perhaps long eyelashes are a thing in her family? It's just a thought, but I thought I'd mention it because I feel like we have quite a few clues about Jock, but not so many about Jane.
Read more about trichomelagy:
Familial eyelash trichomegaly: The case of a sister and a brother Tamer F, Yuksel ME - Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol
Trichomegaly - Wikipedia
Eyelash trichomegaly: A rare presenting feature of systemic lupus erythematosus Dalal A, Sharma S, Kumar A, Sharma N - Int J Trichol

I think she was "just" extremely pretty.

Missing Person Case
Original
Missing Person Case
Original

I knew the picture of Linda and never associated her with this Jane Doe. Seeing this picture with her boyfriend for the first time, I kind of see a general resemblance too. I wish there were more or better pictures of Linda.

I notices another thing: Jane Doe was wearing a couple of rings. These rings appeared to be authentic handmade Native American or Mexican costume jewelry. Linda is mentioned as native and they supposed to be gone to Mexico...just coincidence I guess.

Last edited:
I can't see the rule outs and I don't feel like scrolling through the whole thread so I'm just going to post this. Could John Doe be John Patrick Deeny, missing from Minesota since 1973, 19 years old at the time. 5184DMMN - John Patrick Deeny
There is DNA on file for him so a rule out would not be that difficult.
5184DMMN_LARGE.jpg

The resemblance is striking. The Sumter Co. John Doe was measured at 6'1 and 150 lbs though, while John Deeny was much shorter and probably a stockier build considering his estimated weight.

I re-stumbled upon this case today. I had some insight on Jock Doe's ring inscription JPF. When I was in my late teen's I would wear my mother's class ring. Her initials are no where close to mine so could Jock's ring have been a relative's? Scenario #2 would be that it is in fact his initials he just was never reported missing due to being in his late 20's and having left home on his own accord.

As for Jane Doe who was found with him, I wonder if they dated before his departure or he met her along the way. I recently found a case where two teens ran way together but it was in 1977 so I checked in to compare the date. They were too young and disappeared a year later. However, it got me wondering if they knew each other before and planned to leave together or met while he was passing through somewhere and she decided to go along. In that case since Jock wasn't likely reported missing maybe she was.
I found two possibilities:
1. Lynn Ruth Connes (The Doe Network: Case File 827DFCA)
- Missing since May 20, 1976 from Berkeley, Alameda County, California
-20 years old, 5'4, 110 lbs, blonde hair, green eyes. Inconsistency being the scar on lip and blonde hair.
-She went missing after she had an appointment with a man named "Jeff". According to police she had advertised to be photographed as a model. Notice his name starts with a J.
2. Rebecca Ann Kellison (The Doe Network: Case File 2781DFCO)
-Missing since June 24, 1976 from Denver, Colorado
-21 years old, 5'4, 110-113 lbs, strawberry blonde shoulder length hair, blue eyes.
-she went missing en route to her home possibly hitchhiking.
-her resemblance to Jane Doe is very strong IMO. Although it's not listed, moles are seen in the same spot on both of her pictures although the quality of the pictures isn't the greatest to confirm this observation.
- her purse with ID was found in Dec 1977 in a field in rural Adams county.

A re-cap of clues:
- JPF possible initials of Jock Doe inscribed on ring. (A search of those initials in a missing person site came up empty)
-his Coors Light shirt had 'Camel Challenger G-T Sebring 75' across the back possibly sponsoring the Sebring races in Florida. A witness met the couple at a camp ground in Santee, SC on their way to Florida and saw them when they stopped by on their way back. (This encounter is documented on their doe network casefile; however, it doesn't mention a timeframe: 189UFSC)
- he had Grant's truck stop matches on him. There was three locations; York, Nebraska; Lupton, Arizona; and Boise, Idaho.
- a mechanic in York, NE remembers working on van with Washington or Oregon plates for a couple matching their description.
-the murder weapon was found in possession of a George Henry of Wadesboro, North Carolina. It was determined to be the murder weapon through ballistics. He has not been charged due to lack of evidence. Further research of the gun found that before it came into possession of Henry it was stolen from the Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina. SUMTER MYSTERY COUPLE....WHO ARE THEY?

This is the reason that I surmise they were Canadian. I think they were on holiday fm Ontario and were either siblings or cousins. I think Jock had finished university and she probably finished grade 13, before heading to uni. Graduation adventure.
FYI I seem to recall an earlier post (remember this case has gone on forever...) that being siblings or related was ruled out by blood test - not sure but thought I’d throw that out there.

I re-stumbled upon this case today. I had some insight on Jock Doe's ring inscription JPF. When I was in my late teen's I would wear my mother's class ring. Her initials are no where close to mine so could Jock's ring have been a relative's? Scenario #2 would be that it is in fact his initials he just was never reported missing due to being in his late 20's and having left home on his own accord.

As for Jane Doe who was found with him, I wonder if they dated before his departure or he met her along the way. I recently found a case where two teens ran way together but it was in 1977 so I checked in to compare the date. They were too young and disappeared a year later. However, it got me wondering if they knew each other before and planned to leave together or met while he was passing through somewhere and she decided to go along. In that case since Jock wasn't likely reported missing maybe she was.
I found two possibilities:
1. Lynn Ruth Connes (The Doe Network: Case File 827DFCA)
- Missing since May 20, 1976 from Berkeley, Alameda County, California
-20 years old, 5'4, 110 lbs, blonde hair, green eyes. Inconsistency being the scar on lip and blonde hair.
-She went missing after she had an appointment with a man named "Jeff". According to police she had advertised to be photographed as a model. Notice his name starts with a J.
2. Rebecca Ann Kellison (The Doe Network: Case File 2781DFCO)
-Missing since June 24, 1976 from Denver, Colorado
-21 years old, 5'4, 110-113 lbs, strawberry blonde shoulder length hair, blue eyes.
-she went missing en route to her home possibly hitchhiking.
-her resemblance to Jane Doe is very strong IMO. Although it's not listed, moles are seen in the same spot on both of her pictures although the quality of the pictures isn't the greatest to confirm this observation.
- her purse with ID was found in Dec 1977 in a field in rural Adams county.

A re-cap of clues:
- JPF possible initials of Jock Doe inscribed on ring. (A search of those initials in a missing person site came up empty)
-his Coors Light shirt had 'Camel Challenger G-T Sebring 75' across the back possibly sponsoring the Sebring races in Florida. A witness met the couple at a camp ground in Santee, SC on their way to Florida and saw them when they stopped by on their way back. (This encounter is documented on their doe network casefile; however, it doesn't mention a timeframe: 189UFSC)
- he had Grant's truck stop matches on him. There was three locations; York, Nebraska; Lupton, Arizona; and Boise, Idaho.
- a mechanic in York, NE remembers working on van with Washington or Oregon plates for a couple matching their description.
-the murder weapon was found in possession of a George Henry of Wadesboro, North Carolina. It was determined to be the murder weapon through ballistics. He has not been charged due to lack of evidence. Further research of the gun found that before it came into possession of Henry it was stolen from the Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina. SUMTER MYSTERY COUPLE....WHO ARE THEY?

Lynn Ruth Connes has quit a large gap between her front teeth. I don't think she is our Jane Doe.

Ok I know this case has a LOT of previous posts so I’ll apologize if this has been covered previously. Regarding the DUI arrest of George Lonnie Henry that resulted in determining he had a gun that matched ballistically the murder weapon of the couple - does anyone remember “why” they suspected this enough to have tested it? I cannot imagine that they would have done that unless there was something else that caused suspicion - if so what was it?

Ok I know this case has a LOT of previous posts so I’ll apologize if this has been covered previously. Regarding the DUI arrest of George Lonnie Henry that resulted in determining he had a gun that matched ballistically the murder weapon of the couple - does anyone remember “why” they suspected this enough to have tested it? I cannot imagine that they would have done that unless there was something else that caused suspicion - if so what was it?

IIRC, Mr. Henry had a previous felony conviction. He was not to have a handgun in his possession due to that conviction.

Enough reason for LE to test the firearm.

(Sorry, not wading back for a citation, either.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd