Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the Wiki entry and it says that the woman's legs were not shaved which would be more indicative (not definitive) of a European or French Canadian.

It seems someone is convinced that the mystery couple are Michael and Cordelia McMinn, to the extent that they've been included in their family's genealogical website which lists the couple's identity as Michael and Cordelia McMinn with a death date given as 1976 and place of death as Sumter County. If you Google Michael McMinn then this website comes up. It seems they are certain it's a match.

That's from 2012 by member Tear Drop; who started posting about McMinn's here
The link you mentioned is here

They were then entered into NamUs to be compared to the mystery couple. I'm not sure if the mystery couple are in NamUs in a hidden case file that we can't see. I asked someone from NamUs but never got an answer.

I thought there was a major height discrepancy between the two men? Or am I thnking of a different case?

I thought there was a major height discrepancy between the two men? Or am I thnking of a different case?

Just spent time going back over Tear Drop's posts. Even the dentist that looked at the work he had done felt it was a good match. They were submitted; haven't heard back.

to Stan Reid, who wrote: "I just read the Wiki entry and it says that the woman's legs were not shaved which would be more indicative (not definitive) of a European or French Canadian.""

or me last week.....just sayin

I've never looked into the McMinn case besides what has been presented here in the Mystery Couple thread. Based on that, I've never felt they were really convincing candidates to be the Mystery Couple of Sumter County. Just too far in time and space from where they disappeared.

Of course, I am willing to be convinced that the Mystery Couple were the targets of an assassination squad from Argentina, so... :)

I think they are the Mcminns. Gut feeling, and moo.

It seems someone is convinced that the mystery couple are Michael and Cordelia McMinn, to the extent that they've been included in their family's genealogical website which lists the couple's identity as Michael and Cordelia McMinn with a death date given as 1976 and place of death as Sumter County. If you Google Michael McMinn then this website comes up. It seems they are certain it's a match.

The McMinns may be the mystery couple. Their faces are similar in appearance to the pictures of the Mystery Couple. However, they both appear to be of average build, while the Mystery Couple look much slimmer in the photo of their dead bodies laying on the side of the road. But peoples weight do go up and down from time to time. They were originally reported to be "lost at sea" and their boat was never located off the west coast where they were last seen. I thought I read somewhere the McMinn's DNA was submitted way back in 2012 in hopes of positively identifying them? If that is the case, I would think the results would have been back by now. Just thinking out loud...

http://www.nationalpost.com/multimedia/photos/gallery/index.html?id=407163

I have been following this case obsessively but lately had some other things going on. I always shrugged at the McMinn's because it seemed like it would be easy to compare DNA, dental records, or show the pictures to the relatives and see what they think. Having looked into them a little more now since that is where the conversation seems to be, I have seriously rethought things.

From my research, the McMinns went sailing with over a month worth of food, somebody on a cruisers boat site theorizes (and perhaps elsewhere) that they may have been running drugs in their boat. That's interesting because of the theories that our Does may have been to. I don't mean to soil the dead's memories by accusing them of something they in all likelihood did not take part in. But what if they were running drugs and something happened, their boat from what I understand was assembled from a kit, I've never heard such a thing but if true, perhaps it was not built well enough and sank, perhaps taking the drugs with the boat, they may have managed to picked up or call for help. It also is more likely that they went down with the ship, but if so, they may have realized they needed to lay low and could have traveled across the country to find somewhere where the drug dealers wouldn't think to find them. Along the way, they would have lost weight and maybe Mrs. McMinn stopped shaving her legs. They may have had just enough to exist where they were with or without a car, but were caught and killed, hence the execution style way our Does were killed. It seems really harsh the way they were killed, I feel like they had to have done something really bad to end up that way, unless whoever killed them was just a psychopath.

Anybody know what the McMinn's did for a living? Could they have come across as looking as "rich" as our Does were said to look? Did he have a job, if he was going sailing he either had a great job, a family with money, or was doing something on the side, legal or illegal that could account for his living.

I realize this post is only theory, I feel like there could be just enough connection now that I've thought about it to be true. There was about 3 months time between when the McMinn's went missing and the Does were found killed, a lot could have happened to change their appearance in that time including him shaving and maybe they were in contact with their families and were wired money, perhaps their family knew they were in hiding if they lost the drugs and were laying low? Also the McMinn's were Canadian and a lot of people think the Does are to, it would be interesting if any of the McMinn family or friends were a doctor! Even most lies have some truth to them.

I just hope these two get identified soon, I don't even care so much about who killed them, but as to why and who they were. It is so hard to believe so many people never get identified, I realize the internet wasn't around until decades later, but just think about how many lives you touch in your lives, even 35 years later you would think someone somewhere sometime would come across this case. I wish the guy that did the Grateful Dead Doe story on AOL would give this one more attention, or some show that does old cases would give this one attention that it deserves.

The correlation between the disappearances of the McMinns and the existence of this unidentified couple and the circumstantial, yet incredibly compelling case that they are one and the same, have been so very thoroughly and meticulously researched and documented by Tear drop that all I can say is there must be a reason why their identity has yet to be revealed to the public.
I believe there are numerous people who are well aware of the identities of this couple.
The reason I say this is that there are a few facts arising from significant criminal events in and around the same time frame and geographical location.
The crucial links are well documented by Tear drop and I would suggest that anyone who wants to come close to this same conclusion need only read all of Tear drop's posts in regard to this case.
The observations that make it impossible for me to believe that it's not the Mc Minns are these:
There existed, operating in the area of Sumter County, a criminal organisation headed by a member of the Coors Sebring Race Team. A t shirt that Jacque Doe was wearing had this written on it.
The head of this criminal gang, a race car driver, is himself today at large after 'disappearing' at sea soon after his girlfriend was found murdered. He was also found guilty of kidnapping and shooting a federal witness who was going to testify against him at his trial for marijuana smuggling. Incidentally, he was caught on board his yacht with the drugs. The McMinn couple were obviously able seamen with ample experience navigating the ocean on yachts. The fact is that the McMinn vessel was in sight of land when it, and they, supposedly disappeared.
This is very odd and unlikely given that in the event of a sinking their vessel's emergency beacon would have alerted the very near coast guard. So, if the McMinns were, by chance (and I do not want to cast any untruths upon the memory of their poor family), but if they were smuggling marijuana from Hawaii to the US and weren't victims of a sinking then it's possible they were caught by the Federal authorities. International drug smuggling over ten kilos is today an offence which yields a minimum 10 year sentence.
If they then cut a deal to hand over the ringleaders of the Coors Sebring Racing Team gang they would have been in custody for some period of time, possibly months. In which case Claudia McMinn would not have had access in prison to a razor to shave her legs.
They would have had all of their property impounded including their clothes, having been issued prison clothing. If they were released in order to set up the gang they would have been given back by the prison authorities the clothes they'd been wearing on the day of their arrest in which case their underwear would have been dirty and so they may have chosen not to wear it, as neither of desceased couple were.
(The other option is that when they arrived in Sumter County to make the set up they wore recording equipment under their clothes and the gang members requested they strip off their clothes to prove they weren't wearing wires. When it was discovered that they were in fact bugged, their executioners forced them to dress and neglected to return their underwear.
I belive the t shirt was the secret symbol by which members of the gang identified each other and or the murderers forced Jacque Doe to put it on as they were sending a message to the underworld that this was their dirty work.)
The fact that the couple had fresh fruit and ice cream in their stomachs gives creedence to the assertion by a native of the town nearby to where the deceased couple were found that she recalled serving them at the local supermarket and that they were in the presence of a federal agent who paid for everything with a government issued credit card. The fact that it was a Federal agent also lends weight to the interception of the couple smuggling since it was a Federal offence. If all of these facts, plus the very strong arguments made by Tear drop can point to the suggestion that these people really were the McMinns and that they were involved in an FBI sting that went horribly wrong ending up with the couple slaughtered at the hands of the Coors Sebring Race Team drug smuggling gang then I can see exactly why the McMinns weren't entered into Namus until 2012 and why no one wants to publicize the results of the DNA tests.
All of this is just my hypothetical opinion, of course.
I don't think there's any connection to South American juntas and death squads as the chances of proving this is so incredibly close to nil that you could almost suggest that angle is a red herring to stymie the correct and inevitable revelation that these people are the ill fated McMinns.
The ring with the initials JPF on it would also be of little sentimental value to Jacque Doe if his initials were actually MM which would explain his choice to try and sell it. The head of the Coors Sebring Racing Team smuggling ring was John Paul (senior) and it's interesting that the first two initials match those inscribed inside that ring.

Total crap-shoot but I wonder if the JPF initials on the ring were in Old English script - very ornate and loopy. Could the F actually be an L?

As in JPL Racing, Inc? I could only find photos of the ring from the top. Has anybody seen the engraving?

(I couldn't figure out what the L stood for, and not much info on the company, aside from it being located in Lawrenceville, Ga)

Regarding the McMinns, if they were smuggling from HI to California, would they have been involved with an East Coast group like the racing team gang? Were outfits like that national in scope during the seventies?

Regarding the McMinns, if they were smuggling from HI to California, would they have been involved with an East Coast group like the racing team gang? Were outfits like that national in scope during the seventies?

Johns brother thinks their boat was hi-jacked.

Johns brother - Drum, 25 foot trimaran, completed from a kit in Portland, OR in 1972
Owners: Michael and Cordelia McMinn. The two sailed to Hawaii and lived on various islands before departing in May of 1976 from Hanalei Bay, Kauai for Port Angeles, WA. Both were extremely skilled and resourceful sailors. They would both be 60 years old today.

The RCMP and FBI document four reputable sitings around the ETA (June) in the area of northwestern Vancouver Is and as far south as 25 miles north of Port Angeles in Canadian waters. Positive sitings are only of the boat and of one individual not matching the description of either owner.

Many other details exist which are not appropriate to post in this forum but which lend heavily to the theory of hi-jacking.

There was a growing flow of heroin during this time from SE Asia landing all along the Pacific west coast. Several small yachts were hi-jacked in order to ferry contraband to remote drop-off sites inland. BC, and much more so in the mid seventies, has many such spots.

Is it true that they had the murder weapon? If so, how could that end up not leading to somebody being arrested...

Because they can't establish who owned the weapon at the time of the murders. Though some of us have our own opinions. :D

@dotr

Hey.

The guy they found the murder weapon on... either he was the murderer or he knew who done it. Police should have used every trick in the book, like pretending to pin it all on him etc.

@dotr

Hey.

The guy they found the murder weapon on... either he was the murderer or he knew who done it. Police should have used every trick in the book, like pretending to pin it all on him etc.

I'm going from memory on this.....I believe the person was arrested on a traffic charge (possibly DUI?) and the gun was found in the vehicle. The Police ran a test on it and determined it was the same gun used to kill the "Mystery Couple." For whatever reason, it was determined that the person charged with the traffic offense was not the killer and I think it was discovered that the gun had been passed around by at least more than one person. Sadly, the gun was later misplaced by LE and lost!

I'm going back and try to find the link with all of this in it.

I'm going from memory on this.....I believe the person was arrested on a traffic charge (possibly DUI?) and the gun was found in the vehicle. The Police ran a test on it and determined it was the same gun used to kill the "Mystery Couple." For whatever reason, it was determined that the person charged with the traffic offense was not the killer and I think it was discovered that the gun had been passed around by at least more than one person. Sadly, the gun was later misplaced by LE and lost!

I'm going back and try to find the link with all of this in it.

I'm remembering pretty much the same thing.

I'm also remembering that one of the people involved was the one who had that Jack-at-the-campground story.

They were killed very cruelly... the woman's body expression at the murder scene sticks in your mind... you can see the sheer terror on her face...

Wonder what the motive was...

This case is just as bizarre is that boy in the box (or something) case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734