Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe James and Pamela were a couple, even if it was only for a few months. I don't think they hitchhiked as a couple; I believe they had their own vehicle and that's where all their missing possessions and identification were.

Much of the information that has been touted for decades: the sightings at the camping ground and the fruit stand, comingled with suggestions there was a Canadian connection, have been tainted now and can't be relied on for any kind of timeline. For all we know they had been driving for hours before the event that ultimately killed them.

The reason for their murders is elusive. We don't know whether it was a random act of opportunity or whether it was a targeted event. Whether they were murdered for their vehicle and possessions or that the vehicle and possessions could be tied to the murderer.

It wasn't a sloppy kill. It was swift and sudden; Pamela and James did not appear to have knowledge aforethought as to their fates. No evidence at all to suggest they attempted to flee. The shots were delivered cleanly in exactly the same manner. I don't know whether that tells us anything about the relationship between the killer and their victims or whether it suggests some kind of training in weapons handling.

So much has been written during the last decades regarding the identity of the Sumter Does, whereas the actual murder investigation always seems like a post script.

Good points @branmuffin , I keep kicking the car theory around and trying to think of where there belongings went. I keep thinking a body of water but then again, why not try to hide the victims there too? I’m convinced that they were standing at the side of the road, shot, and fell there with feet still on the edge of the road. I just try to figure if they were forced to stand there?
On them having a car, it would have required license plates, SC and other states required 2 around that time. I haven’t heard of any record to indicate registering a car or if they had a valid id at the time. Just like back when we talked about how advanced ballistics and all of the gun tech was at the time, 76 wasn’t exactly cave man times. A car could have been borrowed or something. I don’t exactly see these 2 as cross country car thieves so I stay split on the car.

I can see how easily the victim’s vehicle could’ve been handled back then.
First, this was the 70s in the Deep South. The Old Boy network ran far and deep. Depending on who one’s connections were, LE did look the other way.

I think it would’ve been easy for the killers to have parted the car out to dispose of it.

or they could’ve painted it and changed the plates illegally and used it or passed it to a friend or relative to use.

If they had land, especially with water on it, it would’ve been easily disposed of after stealing the victim’s belongings and stripping the vehicle.

it’s MOO it’s was one of the likely scenarios.

It wasn't a sloppy kill. It was swift and sudden; Pamela and James did not appear to have knowledge aforethought as to their fates. No evidence at all to suggest they attempted to flee. The shots were delivered cleanly in exactly the same manner. I don't know whether that tells us anything about the relationship between the killer and their victims or whether it suggests some kind of training in weapons handling.

So much has been written during the last decades regarding the identity of the Sumter Does, whereas the actual murder investigation always seems like a post script.

RSBM

Sorry to get into grizzly details, but it seems to me impossible to shoot two people in the chest, with one gun, unless they are both restrained. A perp may take one person by surprise from the front (unfortunately, the Elizabeth Barraza video is a graphic demonstration of this), but then instantly the other person is going to turn and run, and they will be shot from behind. And, if you tie up one person, the other is not going to be taken by surprise, you'd normally need an accomplice to restrain a couple. There's no mention of restraints, so that would indicate they'd been removed.

Just speculation, but it seems psychopathically cold blooded, and required at least two people.

RSBM

Sorry to get into grizzly details, but it seems to me impossible to shoot two people in the chest, with one gun, unless they are both restrained. A perp may take one person by surprise from the front (unfortunately, the Elizabeth Barraza video is a graphic demonstration of this), but then instantly the other person is going to turn and run, and they will be shot from behind. And, if you tie up one person, the other is not going to be taken by surprise, you'd normally need an accomplice to restrain a couple. There's no mention of restraints, so that would indicate they'd been removed.

Just speculation, but it seems psychopathically cold blooded, and required at least two people.

I’ve thought about this a lot and discussed seeing something near Pamela in one of the photos from the scene that looked like a long narrow cloth or something. However, I would have to of course respectfully disagree with the point about how fast this could have happened. Remembering that it was dark, this weapon could have been pulled from somewhere and fired at them both within a few seconds. With some moonlight, a chest area would be big enough that aim wouldn’t be very difficult. I hate to think of this but whoever wasn’t shot first would have surely been extremely shocked, even if there was some sense of what was going on, More-so if not. Just my opinion here but I really don’t think that the 2nd victim had time to blink or react in much of a way at all.

I’ve thought about this a lot and discussed seeing something near Pamela in one of the photos from the scene that looked like a long narrow cloth or something. However, I would have to of course respectfully disagree with the point about how fast this could have happened. Remembering that it was dark, this weapon could have been pulled from somewhere and fired at them both within a few seconds. With some moonlight, a chest area would be big enough that aim wouldn’t be very difficult. I hate to think of this but whoever wasn’t shot first would have surely been extremely shocked, even if there was some sense of what was going on, More-so if not. Just my opinion here but I really don’t think that the 2nd victim had time to blink or react in much of a way at all.
But why would they be standing side by side outside their vehicle on a deserted side road off the interstate in the dark, waiting calmly, with no apprehension whatever, for someone to finish whatever he was doing in the road in front of them?

Sorry, not convinced this would come as such a shock that neither would instinctly move to protect their heart area.

But why would they be standing side by side outside their vehicle on a deserted side road off the interstate in the dark, waiting calmly, with no apprehension whatever, for someone to finish whatever he was doing in the road in front of them?

Sorry, not convinced this would come as such a shock that neither would instinctly move to protect their heart area.

That’s what I was wondering, if they were made to stand there at gunpoint or what? We even discussed before about that particular spot being chosen. I’m not local to there but am in a rural area and it isn’t out of bounds to see younger people crowd up somewhere in the country just to hang out.
I’m not sure what the distance was from the killer to the victims but if it was some 10 ft or so then with the longer barrel on a .357, the shooter would only need to shift a few inches between victims. I think too that James, with some basic military experience, would have tried something if possible, had he seen this happening. The crime scene location is a major question.

RSBM

It would be easy to shoot two people in the back first, especially if they did not suspect they were going to be killed. A shot in the back would have made them fall forward into the ditch then all the killer had to do was turn them over and shoot them in the chest. Either one of those two shots could have been fatal or seriously affected their ability to move. The shot under the chin that probably went into the brain stem was the coup de grace.

I can't say whether the killer(s) were psychopathic or not since many murderers are completely sane and the level of violence inflicted on their victims is beyond the pale.

My theories, which are many, are usually tempered by Lonny Henry's looming presence in the murders. He seemed like a hapless soul, yet his connection to the killings is undeniable.

It would be easy to shoot two people in the back first, especially if they did not suspect they were going to be killed. A shot in the back would have made them fall forward into the ditch then all the killer had to do was turn them over and shoot them in the chest. Either one of those two shots could have been fatal or seriously affected their ability to move. The shot under the chin that probably went into the brain stem was the coup de grace.

I can't say whether the killer(s) were psychopathic or not since many murderers are completely sane and the level of violence inflicted on their victims is beyond the pale.

My theories, which are many, are usually tempered by Lonny Henry's looming presence in the murders. He seemed like a hapless soul, yet his connection to the killings is undeniable.

Henry is where I hit the wall too. That weapon.

Henry is where I hit the wall too. That weapon.
Even if that weapon was the murder weapon, that doesn't automatically identify him as the offender. At this point, after all I've gotten from the SCSO, I don't think this case is going to progress any further. There's not enough to go off even in a courtroom standpoint, sadly.

Even if that weapon was the murder weapon, that doesn't automatically identify him as the offender. At this point, after all I've gotten from the SCSO, I don't think this case is going to progress any further. There's not enough to go off even in a courtroom standpoint, sadly.

I think there are still local people who know who killed them and how. That's all they have to do is start asking question, examining alibis, and turning up the heat on those they most likely know were involved. They have a lot of evidence, including the murder weapon and other ballistics evidence matching it.

They have a lot more evidence than is available for most cold cases. They can close this case if they want to put in some time and work. JMO

I agree with both you and @Betty P on these things. I have one question/idea but I don’t want to slip on the rules. I remember somewhere in all this, that LE thought LH failed the poly due to holding back info for someone else. As Betty says in her post, there could be people still around that knew something. Then again, they could be no longer with us too.

Unfortunately I cannot say how I gathered this information, because my post about that was deleted for all the right reasons, there’s quite some connection between Lonnie Henry and drag racing. Considering James was found with a drag racing event t-shirt (and also had penalty for driving fast in the past), this might connect the couple to the killers.

Do you think the Coroner concealed the info about them being shot in the back?

I wanted to add to yesterday's discussion: the gun was identified as a revolver. I don't know much about guns, but to me, that means it is not a semi-automatic, but each shot has to be fired by at least pulling the trigger, sometimes also by cocking it as well. Also, a revolver can usually only be loaded with six bullets, before it has to be reloaded.

So my assumption has been that the time between each shot would be a lot longer than the typical shootings we see on TV these days, and that six shots reflect the maximum that the gun could carry.

I don't believe the specific type of gun LH had has ever been identified, except that it was a revolver.

ETA How to shoot a common type of 357 revolver

Last edited:
I’ve seen 7 and 8 shot 357 guns as well but not sure at what time they came out. There have also been rifles built around that round. The 357 is designed specifically for people killing, not a sport or hunting gun. Made to be used efficiently by LE and for defense. Somebody with some experience using it with one hand could be very quick, even if it involved moving the hammer back with each shot. If this gun could be fired like a lot of revolvers, by “pulling” the trigger repeated times, it could be faster.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up that the Sheriffs department will do anything. They don’t have the courtesy to return basic phone calls or respond to emails from family members. I suspect they just want to move on.

Keep trying. Contact the local media in the Sumter area. That would put some pressure on law enforcement to respond, if they face negative scrutiny from the same newspapers and television stations that praised them for pursuing the case for 45 years to identification.

I never got my hopes up toward an arrest. But it is outrageous that law enforcement is not displaying basic courtesy to family members.

You might try contacting the daughter of the former sheriff, the guy who was in charge of this case from the outset. She was interviewed when the names were revealed, emphasizing how much the case meant to her father. Somebody like that could jolt the current sheriff into some sense and decency.

Use a tag team approach. They might ignore one family member. But if multiple brothers/sisters -- or whomever -- continue to contact them, they'll get the hint that this isn't going away and they need to respond.

I'm not sure if the Buckley and Freund families have made contact. That would be even better, if law enforcement is being approached by family members of each victim.

This case needs to be covered by one of the major networks. Tonight I was watching the Cali-Doe case examined by the Paula Zahn program on Investigation Discovery. Those programs rely on cooperation from law enforcement. Many investigators love national spotlight like that even if they typically are not media friendly.

Members here have pushed various programs to take a look at this case. Family members should not shy away from that. Don't allow anyone in the family to embrace the fearful aspect of an examination like that, compared to immense potential benefit.

I read somewhere the Unsolved Mysteries episode first aired January 20, 1995. Which would be season 7 episode 14. But, when I located and watched that episode on YT, I didn't see this case covered. It's possible it was edited by the person or entity uploading. Or heck... maybe I missed it or I have the wrong episode??

I think I posted this link in the prior thread. Regardless, I don't mind searching for it, even if not as interesting as researching Locklair Road.

If this doesn't link directly to the segment, it begins at 37:43

Unfortunately I cannot say how I gathered this information, because my post about that was deleted for all the right reasons, there’s quite some connection between Lonnie Henry and drag racing. Considering James was found with a drag racing event t-shirt (and also had penalty for driving fast in the past), this might connect the couple to the killers.
Respectfully I must correct you there, he was found wearing an IMSA T-shirt, which is Circuit Racing, not Drag Racing, they are two totally different forms of Motorsport.

The types of racing are different. Drag racing is straight line racing, almost entirely American car makes. NASCAR was a circle track race, at that time entirely American cars. The IMSA Camel GT racing (the shirt James wore) was dominated by European cars and ran on "road courses" with many more turns than a NASCAR track.
From my experience, the fans of drag racing and NASCAR aren't the fans of the IMSA racing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back