Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You all probably know already and it may be in a media thread but I was just randomly searching images on this and noticed a legal ad from a local paper in Lancaster PA that is related to James being declared deceased in the 80s.

I don’t use the big G and searched on the duck duck platform under James and Pam’s names and the images box at the top.

I keep hoping for any kind of update.

You all probably know already and it may be in a media thread but I was just randomly searching images on this and noticed a legal ad from a local paper in Lancaster PA that is related to James being declared deceased in the 80s.

I don’t use the big G and searched on the duck duck platform under James and Pam’s names and the images box at the top.

I keep hoping for any kind of update.
Odds are the perp is dead, so there's probably no chance for justice.

If James had a car, then I hope that they find out what happened to it. That might provide a clue to the identities of the perps. It may have been re-titled at some point.

I still think that a likely scenario is that James was driving a very nice car and that he and Pam were killed for it.

Have you guys seen Pam's new tombstone? The inscription says "I was lost. Now I am found" and there's her actual name on it. I'm glad she's no longer "female unknown".
Pamela Mae “Pam” Buckley (1951-1976) - Find A...

The music clef in the heart is a nice touch and I’m somehow glad that her grave wasn’t disturbed yet again to move her.

I so want to disagree with @Ozoner above about odds on the perp but I’m afraid I can’t. Time has not been a friend with this case for sure. About the car that they may have had, I think we were still almost in the Stone Age with DMV records in those days. I have entertained the idea (without anything backing it) that James was a mechanic and by the shirt, was into cars. I know that people were very much into “hot rods” and nice cars in general, as they still are and it’s possible that he had something nice that could have been stolen. Corvettes and Mustangs were very much in style back then.

The problem with my illusion stated above about a car is that it seems that would have came up in the missing report or the death declaration hearing. I’m sure that PA was probably better at records back then than we were in SC back then. And as I comb govt records here some time, it probably still is. My county was going to auction my home just a few years back for taxes that I had to prove I had paid months earlier and they actually acknowledged the error so, it happens.

Could somebody buy a bus/plane/rail ticket in 75 without any kind of record of it? I’m still of the mind that these people didn’t leave in the winter with that weather walking. I also keep thinking that they may have met before disappearing some kind of way. All guesses of course since I have nothing to base that on.

Have you guys seen Pam's new tombstone? The inscription says "I was lost. Now I am found" and there's her actual name on it. I'm glad she's no longer "female unknown".
Pamela Mae “Pam” Buckley (1951-1976) - Find A...

Interesting that the "Female Unknown" stone is still there, at the opposite end of the grave. It's kind of like the Tammy Jo Alexander tombstone that has her name on the front, and "Lest we Forget - Unidentified Girl" on the back side of the stone.

Interesting that the "Female Unknown" stone is still there, at the opposite end of the grave. It's kind of like the Tammy Jo Alexander tombstone that has her name on the front, and "Lest we Forget - Unidentified Girl" on the back side of the stone.

Yes, I had to double take at that. I visited the cemetery in October 2019 and took some photos and short videos. I distinctly remembered that there were a few gravesites immediately to their left alongside the fence, but nothing to their right or directly in front. After seeing this photo I thought a new row had been added. Then I realized it was the relocated Jane Doe headstone.

I'm glad they kept it there. And I wonder what the smaller markers say. Maybe one day I'll know. I still want to revisit Locklair Road, after figuring out the murders occurred on the opposite end from where I filmed in 2019. But at least I slowly drove the entirety in 2019. I'm sure that road would give me the creeps again.

I was really hoping these identifications would lead to more answers but we seem to be back to the start. I’m surprised/disappointed too that this didn’t capture some big national attention. We haven’t even heard from anybody who knew these victims. More frustration.

I returned to this thread after realizing it had been a full year. I never gave any weight to the new leads. But I thought for sure at least one of the major programs would devote an hour segment, with participation from family members and friends.

Huge waste that it didn't happen.

I returned to this thread after realizing it had been a full year. I never gave any weight to the new leads. But I thought for sure at least one of the major programs would devote an hour segment, with participation from family members and friends.

Huge waste that it didn't happen.

I thought that would happen too. So many people have worked so hard and it got very little attention.

Could somebody buy a bus/plane/rail ticket in 75 without any kind of record of it? I’m still of the mind that these people didn’t leave in the winter with that weather walking. I also keep thinking that they may have met before disappearing some kind of way. All guesses of course since I have nothing to base that on.
Until quite recently (as in post 2001) IDs weren't a big deal and cash tickets were common on the bus lines.

The problem with my illusion stated above about a car is that it seems that would have came up in the missing report or the death declaration hearing. I’m sure that PA was probably better at records back then than we were in SC back then. And as I comb govt records here some time, it probably still is. My county was going to auction my home just a few years back for taxes that I had to prove I had paid months earlier and they actually acknowledged the error so, it happens.
If someone is estranged from their family, the family may not have had details on any car he (or she) owned. There was probably no reason for the investigating agency to search records either. It wasn't as easy to search in 1975 as it is today.

I just checked back on this thread and I'm also surprised we haven't heard more about this couple and none of the crime shows have devoted any time to it. I feel like they deserve to have their story told, even if it's unlikely there will be justice for their murders.

I thought maybe some friends who live/d in Colorado might be able to provide helpful additional information (vehicle type, travel plans, etc) once these two were identified. I wonder if anyone has attempted to contact them.

I’m sure the families were contacted and I guess just didn’t want to go public and I respect that. I did figure that there were probably musicians still around who had worked with Pam in the past who may talk but that didn’t happen. I’m still hoping that somebody will come forward and offer some insight on them. There’s still a chance of a big true crime show giving this some much needed attention. I hope so anyway.

I recently seen on the wistv site that the sheriff’s office has a sex scandal of some sort to deal with and has an independent council or something dealing with the allegations so I’m sure this is on the back burner in Sumter.

The 'Sumter County Does' Had Recently Met Each Other While Hitchhiking
The bodies of a man and woman were found off of Interstate 95 in Sumter County, SC, on August 9, 1976, but they were never identified. For decades, little was known about the "Sumter County Does" other than that they had both been shot in the chest, back, and head with the same gun. Based on items found on them, they appeared to be traveling together, and from their similar complexions, investigators theorized they might be related.
1002563145-photo-u2

Photo: Carl Koppelman / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 4.0
The 'Sumter County Does' Had Recently Met Each Other While Hitchhiking
The bodies of a man and woman were found off of Interstate 95 in Sumter County, SC, on August 9, 1976, but they were never identified. For decades, little was known about the "Sumter County Does" other than that they had both been shot in the chest, back, and head with the same gun. Based on items found on them, they appeared to be traveling together, and from their similar complexions, investigators theorized they might be related.

In 2007, the bodies were exhumed for DNA testing and a match finally

In 2007, the bodies were exhumed for DNA testing and a match finally came in 2021 thanks to the DNA Doe Project. The individuals were 25-year-old Pamela Buckley and 30-year-old James Freund. Both had been reported missing by their families in 1975, Buckley from Minnesota and Freund from Colorado. They had likely met while hitchhiking. Investigators stated they had several persons of interest related to the murders.
11 Jane And John Does Who Got Their Names Back In 2021

If anybody needs a ray of hope, the Dateline episode that aired tonight “After The Dance” about the cold case of Carla Walker from 1974 is a good one. I guess we don’t have a chance of the DNA miracle like with that case but the chance for a miracle nonetheless we do have.
I’m sure after decades, people probably thought that getting Pamela and James identifier was a long shot miracle too.

Yes, I had to double take at that. I visited the cemetery in October 2019 and took some photos and short videos. I distinctly remembered that there were a few gravesites immediately to their left alongside the fence, but nothing to their right or directly in front. After seeing this photo I thought a new row had been added. Then I realized it was the relocated Jane Doe headstone.

I'm glad they kept it there. And I wonder what the smaller markers say. Maybe one day I'll know. I still want to revisit Locklair Road, after figuring out the murders occurred on the opposite end from where I filmed in 2019. But at least I slowly drove the entirety in 2019. I'm sure that road would give me the creeps again.
Hi,sorry,but after listening to a podcast (trace-evidence.com episode 118) and watching/reading the comments on: YouTube -Lockhart road..murder of Sumter county does..it does bring up a question ,about the murders and local knowledge to the area,where James and Pamela were found....

According to the podcast and the vid,on you tube,it seems that the killer,apparently wanted to take the couple further,into the middle of nowhere,but the road was blocked by fences (from the tobacco factory/stand?) that covered the road.Were the fences permanently?
It seemed to be a report on Greenville newspaper from 1976 (so far have troubles to digg it up..)

So when I heard that and read about it,I wonder if the killer was familiar with the local area,at all?
Wonder if my fellow WS posters have any thoughts about it?
Was the killer, -a local? Or just passing by,without any knowledge of the area,maybe also on the road,saw a crime opportunity? I do think,maybe around the same age as James and Pam.

Justed wanted to add,that Pamela’s middle name is spelled and signed -by her-,on her marriage license, as Mai instead of Mea,according to the above mentioned podcast...

Sorry had to ask...

Last edited:
Hi,sorry,but after listening to a podcast (trace-evidence.com episode 118) and watching/reading the comments on: YouTube -Lockhart road..murder of Sumter county does..it does bring up a question ,about the murders and local knowledge to the area,where James and Pamela were found....

According to the podcast and the vid,on you tube,it seems that the killer,apparently wanted to take the couple further,into the middle of nowhere,but the road was blocked by fences (from the tobacco factory/stand?) that covered the road.Were the fences permanently?
It seemed to be a report on Greenville newspaper from 1976 (so far have troubles to digg it up..)

So when I heard that and read about it,I wonder if the killer was familiar with the local area,at all?
Wonder if my fellow WS posters have any thoughts about it?
Was the killer, -a local? Or just passing by,without any knowledge of the area,maybe also on the road,saw a crime opportunity? I do think,maybe around the same age as James and Pam.

Justed wanted to add,that Pamela’s middle name is spelled and signed -by her-,on her marriage license, as Mai instead of Mea,according to the above mentioned podcast...

Sorry had to ask...

Thanks for that info about the podcast. I'll check it out.

JMO, it's possible the killer wasn't from the area, possibly just someone who encountered the couple along the highway and killed them. The problem with that is how a man in a nearby county, Lonnie Henry, managed to acquire the murder weapon.

It's possible a stranger killed them and tossed out the murder weapon, only for one of the Henry brothers to find it later.

IMO, the more likely theory is they were killed by someone from the region - someone familiar with the area, but who didn't go there often enough to know the road was closed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back