Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

Still waiting for the book,to have to been written,with information,which couldn't be found online....??

Maybe,he did found out,wich car Pam & James were driving or owned on their journey or more about the gun?!

"I developed a lead that is potentially explosive and could turn this case on its head. I have turned over this lead along with my other research to the Sumter SD. I believe this new lead will result in an arrest and a conviction.

While working on this case, I have amassed an enormous amount of information which I will be compiling into a book that I plan on releasing by the end of the year."

Rest in peace James and Pamela We love you

Still waiting for the book,to have to been written,with information,which couldn't be found online....??

Maybe,he did found out,wich car Pam & James were driving or owned on their journey or more about the gun?!

"I developed a lead that is potentially explosive and could turn this case on its head. I have turned over this lead along with my other research to the Sumter SD. I believe this new lead will result in an arrest and a conviction.

While working on this case, I have amassed an enormous amount of information which I will be compiling into a book that I plan on releasing by the end of the year."

Rest in peace James and Pamela We love you

I fear he has been suckered in, if so I'm sure he has known it for a while. Sumter LE invited him to look at some of the case file and to be part of the official investigation. No doubt he now feels obligated to not go public with anything he has found. I wish he would anyway, at least the part he discovered on his own.

I fear he has been suckered in, if so I'm sure he has known it for a while. Sumter LE invited him to look at some of the case file and to be part of the official investigation. No doubt he now feels obligated to not go public with anything he has found. I wish he would anyway, at least the part he discovered on his own.
If this is about the guy who was going to write a book, awhile back I looked at his fbk page and other info. and I don't think the book will materalize. I can't recall everything I read, but I got the definite impression he won't be writing a book about this case. No, we will have to rely on LE for any further developments, if there are any IMO.

Last edited:
I also think local LE is not interested in determining who killed them. Sadly, the victims own families also seem to want to put it in the past. No interviews or statements to the news media, nothing. Very sad, they don’t deserve this, IMO.
I have a tendency to agree with you regarding LE. I think about the current SC murder case in Walterboro re the Murdaugh case where the father is on trial for murdering his wife and youngest son. The Murdaugh's have a high social profile going back almost a century in their county yet have been involved in some very sketchy things over the years. My gut feeling tells me that LE were always willing for the case to fall by the wayside except for that pesky woman Verna Moore who kept the case alive until she passed away. IMO

I think this case has always involved a lot of tunnel vision and over thinking. If we hadn't been fixated on looking for a couple and someone just had a thought that they might be two separate missing people, James, at least might have been identified decades ago. He had been reported missing, he was from the East Coast and his initials matched the ring he was wearing, and he looks just like the missing person photo.

Murders don't have to always be so complex. I think it's probably very simple. They probably just got a ride and were killed by the guy who had the gun. He might have robbed them, wanted to rape her or they just saw something they shouldn't have. Or maybe he was like PeeWee Gaskins and just liked to kill people.

If we were looking at another case and some shady guy was found with the murder weapon, and the other facts about him, we'd be all over him as being the killer, but for some reason we can't let this case go, it just has to be bigger than that. But it doesn't and the reason there is no action on LE is they think they know who did it and don't want to spend any more money when there are so many other cases out there.

I'm pretty sure if they ever identify Zodiac with genetic genealogy from the stamps, you will still have a lot of people who won't accept it. Even Graysmith is hedging his bet by claiming his main suspect Arthur Leigh Allen didn't lick stamps and had other people do it for him. Yeah, funny how that only came up after genetic genealogy became a thing.

I think this case has always involved a lot of tunnel vision and over thinking. If we hadn't been fixated on looking for a couple and someone just had a thought that they might be two separate missing people, James, at least might have been identified decades ago. He had been reported missing, he was from the East Coast and his initials matched the ring he was wearing, and he looks just like the missing person photo.

Murders don't have to always be so complex. I think it's probably very simple. They probably just got a ride and were killed by the guy who had the gun. He might have robbed them, wanted to rape her or they just saw something they shouldn't have. Or maybe he was like PeeWee Gaskins and just liked to kill people.

If we were looking at another case and some shady guy was found with the murder weapon, and the other facts about him, we'd be all over him as being the killer, but for some reason we can't let this case go, it just has to be bigger than that. But it doesn't and the reason there is no action on LE is they think they know who did it and don't want to spend any more money when there are so many other cases out there.

I'm pretty sure if they ever identify Zodiac with genetic genealogy from the stamps, you will still have a lot of people who won't accept it. Even Graysmith is hedging his bet by claiming his main suspect Arthur Leigh Allen didn't lick stamps and had other people do it for him. Yeah, funny how that only came up after genetic genealogy became a thing.

I dunno, it's easy for us to have 20/20 vision nearly 50 years after the fact. Back in those days there wasn't much interaction between state and county law enforcement regarding missing persons. If someone was reported missing in California it was highly unlikely police forces in Maine or Illinois, for instance, would be advised of those missing persons.

People started moving around a lot more in the 60s and 70s unlike prior decades; we became a lot more fluid in our travels. And just think of how many UIDs are still on the books in California going back to the 60s and 70s. There's a great possibility many of those deceased are transients from other states and even countries, who made their way to Cali during that period.

It would be equally difficult for a murder victim's description be forwarded to every police force, municipal, county, city, or state. It seems to me the only people I remembered who were advertised nationally were those on an FBI wanted poster in the post office.

A lot of assumptions were made initially, specifically that they were thought to be siblings because they resembled another. Yet here many of us, almost 40 years later, agreed with that sentiment. The fact they were killed execution style, also raised many theories of drug trafficking, etc.

Their murders just seem so pointless to me, that they were some 'hippies' passing through an area where the locals probably had some animosity to long haired freaks. It was a thing back then.

I'm more frustrated over LE being so lackadaisical toward Lonnie Henry and the fact he was in possession of the gun that killed them. LE was very soft on him, imo, and didn't pursue that clue more vigorously. So here we are.

I dunno, it's easy for us to have 20/20 vision nearly 50 years after the fact.
I would agree in the early years of the case, but once it became easier to check information, in say the last 20 years, some of the original thoughts on this case never changed.

I'm old enough to remember when this case first started. You could only read about it in Detective Magazines and back then they thought they were foreign. New information changed that, but no one changed their thinking that these two were a couple.

Having the gun is a great piece of evidence, but it alone would not get a conviction. Unless you could prove he alone had access to it. I doubt there is any DNA left? I think LE and the families probably believe he is the killer and don't want to waste precious resources trying to find a killer when most suspects they might have are dead.

Sounds like he believes the killer is still alive.

I believe there was more than one person involved, some are still alive and some are not. JMO.
My best guess is some of George Henry's first cousins people in Latta SC where he was caught with the murder weapon.
I don't have much doubt that LE has already talked to the killers, years ago and more recently.

I believe there was more than one person involved, some are still alive and some are not. JMO.
My best guess is some of George Henry's first cousins people in Latta SC where he was caught with the murder weapon.
I don't have much doubt that LE has already talked to the killers, years ago and more recently.

I’ve tried to think of it without Henry at all but that gun keeps red flagging.

I’ve tried to think of it without Henry at all but that gun keeps red flagging.

I'm thinking they were robbed and killed, vehicle stolen. LE figured out who did it, but maybe locals didn't want to prosecute. I'd be willing to guess that LE had an idea of who did it when they discovered the bodies. JMO, the spot where bodies were dumped was near a place where local criminals met to fence, trade, stolen goods, etc.

I'm thinking they were robbed and killed, vehicle stolen. LE figured out who did it, but maybe locals didn't want to prosecute. I'd be willing to guess that LE had an idea of who did it when they discovered the bodies. JMO, the spot where bodies were dumped was near a place where local criminals met to fence, trade, stolen goods, etc.

Some of the people I was speaking of did time in prison for auto theft.

I have a bunch of friends in Latta, but I've lost touch with them. If I was still in contact I'd talk to some of them and see what they might know about this matter. Latta is still a small, intimate town, the kind of place where there aren't many secrets. One of my old friends probably knows something.

I have a tendency to agree with you regarding LE. I think about the current SC murder case in Walterboro re the Murdaugh case where the father is on trial for murdering his wife and youngest son. The Murdaugh's have a high social profile going back almost a century in their county yet have been involved in some very sketchy things over the years. My gut feeling tells me that LE were always willing for the case to fall by the wayside except for that pesky woman Verna Moore who kept the case alive until she passed away. IMO
I wonder if we can get local journalists interested in this story. That often seems to get things moving.

I wonder if we can get local journalists interested in this story. That often seems to get things moving.

Perhaps it's possible if the journalist Matthew McDaniel could find some comparisons between wealthy individuals in Sumter county during that era or maybe even today, that could shed light on an international mystery that ended with a fizzle when the murdered couple were identified, instead of igniting a search for the killers.

I have heard zip, nada since that press conference over two years ago, which in itself is unreal, I remember bitching to myself how I could barely hear LE talk. And even if there wasn't some kind of big fish in a small pond kind of corollary to the Murdaughs in Sumter country, rural folk ain't stupid; they know when to keep things on the downlow for personal safety and know when to talk. A lot of people won't talk about something until they're asked. It's time for someone to do some asking.

I have a bunch of friends in Latta, but I've lost touch with them. If I was still in contact I'd talk to some of them and see what they might know about this matter. Latta is still a small, intimate town, the kind of place where there aren't many secrets. One of my old friends probably knows something.

Like I said, it's "my best guess" but I feel like it's an educated one.
We know Henry had the gun but then he didn't have it but then he had it again. There's no reason that I can see to think that the gun ever left a tight circle of people.

One of the people I've been looking at, JCR, his wife was from south of Lynchburg, around eight miles from Locklear. To add to that, either I95 exit that would be used when traveling between Latta and the place she was from would put you just a few miles from the crime scene. You would be just right there on the network of back roads that leads to Locklear.

I think that they probably had a car and were carjacked and murdered.

The problem with Henry, from LE's standpoint, is that he had a pretty good alibi. He was supposedly with his wife at a hospital quite far from the crime scene the night of the murders, and I believe multiple staff members at the hospital vouched for that alibi. If there is a detailed timeline that's been made available, then we could dig into it more and see whether that alibi can be broken.

I think that they probably had a car and were carjacked and murdered.

The problem with Henry, from LE's standpoint, is that he had a pretty good alibi. He was supposedly with his wife at a hospital quite far from the crime scene the night of the murders, and I believe multiple staff members at the hospital vouched for that alibi. If there is a detailed timeline that's been made available, then we could dig into it more and see whether that alibi can be broken.
I do believe to have read,that LE timed the car ride from the hospital to the CS,where Pam and James were found and it couldn't be done.

I don't know,how long that ride is from the hospital,(where Lonnies wife was) to Locklair Road,but if LE checked it, you can approximately calculate the time Lonnie must have left,the hospital.
Didn't LE stated,that Lonnie would needed half the time more,even with speeding to kill Pam and James,wich seems unlikely,if you consider the car jacking theory...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MWinslow
Back