Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Honestly the military marker is metal, very small, and is easily overgrown as it lays flat on the ground. (My late FIL has one)
The stone marker he currently has is much nicer. I wonder if a skilled person could.somehow.modify it?
VA military markers are not always metal. The VA provides markers for veterans free of charge. There are upright and flat markers, and they can be granite or marble. My father, who died in 2019, has an upright marble VA headstone. There are also stones with applied bronze markers. James Freund should be eligible.
Veterans headstones, markers, and medallions | Veterans Affairs

This configuration of the band toured but appears to have never released an album, two of the members (Anthony Matthews and Pamela Buckley) passing away at the young ages of 32 and 24, respectively, in 1975 and 1976. Matthews died in a hanggliding accident outside of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, while Buckley was recently identified as a longstanding shooting victim Jane Doe in Sumter County, South Carolina.

I was giving a good look at Steamboat Springs a couple of years back because I feel like there's a decent possibility that Pam and James could have met there. The remnants of the Sunlending band seemed to end up there and Matthews died there in 1975, so I'm wondering if there could have been some kind of memorial for him around the time Pam went missing. Of course she wouldn't need that for a reason, it wouldn't be far fetched to think she could have been there anyway.
Now James would be harder to place there. I did find one person from the Lancaster PA area that lived and died there, he was a ski instructor. I was never really able to make a solid connection but I felt like I was all around it. There was one person in particular I thought could be that connection but he is still living and I just can't find much of anything on him.
We know James was stationed in Germany and iirc so was Matthews. The ski instructor was also apparently there. According to his obit he was on the Garmisch Ski Patrol. I don't know if that means anything or not but it could be a point of interest.
Anyway it's been a while since I chimed in here so I thought I would bump this thread up.

Good find on the sale of the demo tape.

I was giving a good look at Steamboat Springs a couple of years back because I feel like there's a decent possibility that Pam and James could have met there. The remnants of the Sunlending band seemed to end up there and Matthews died there in 1975, so I'm wondering if there could have been some kind of memorial for him around the time Pam went missing. Of course she wouldn't need that for a reason, it wouldn't be far fetched to think she could have been there anyway.
Now James would be harder to place there. I did find one person from the Lancaster PA area that lived and died there, he was a ski instructor. I was never really able to make a solid connection but I felt like I was all around it. There was one person in particular I thought could be that connection but he is still living and I just can't find much of anything on him.
We know James was stationed in Germany and iirc so was Matthews. The ski instructor was also apparently there. According to his obit he was on the Garmisch Ski Patrol. I don't know if that means anything or not but it could be a point of interest.
Anyway it's been a while since I chimed in here so I thought I would bump this thread up.

Good find on the sale of the demo tape.

I've always thought the same - that James moved to Colorado from Lancaster, PA. CO was a mecca for young people back then, a great place to live, good cost of living, outdoors activities, music scene, etc.

James also trained as a mechanic while he was in the Army, so I've always thought it possible that he was working in auto or truck mechanics.

Great work finding someone from Lancaster who moved to CO. I wonder if there are friends of Jims from Lancaster who remember where he went and with whom?

ETA: It seems more likely James and Pam met when she was in CO vs Pam traveling out on her own from CO to PA.

Last edited:
Great work finding someone from Lancaster who moved to CO. I wonder if there are friends of Jims from Lancaster who remember where he went and with whom?

I just about guarantee you there's people out there that know things about this case but it doesn't look like they're gonna tell us about it. Maybe they have told investigators.
It doesn't take much work to find people that moved between these areas. For instance, I just go to the public member trees at Ancestry, fill in the birth field, fill in the death field, leave the rest blank and hit the search button. You'll have more names than you bargained for. I mostly focused on the one that went to Steamboat Springs but if anyone wants to try Colorado Springs there's some good potential stuff there.

ETA: It seems more likely James and Pam met when she was in CO vs Pam traveling out on her own from CO to PA.

I thought about it being the Bicentennial and someone traveling to Philadelphia with all the history but I have to agree with you, it's much more likely that they met somewhere out west.

I just about guarantee you there's people out there that know things about this case but it doesn't look like they're gonna tell us about it. Maybe they have told investigators.
It doesn't take much work to find people that moved between these areas. For instance, I just go to the public member trees at Ancestry, fill in the birth field, fill in the death field, leave the rest blank and hit the search button. You'll have more names than you bargained for. I mostly focused on the one that went to Steamboat Springs but if anyone wants to try Colorado Springs there's some good potential stuff there.

I thought about it being the Bicentennial and someone traveling to Philadelphia with all the history but I have to agree with you, it's much more likely that they met somewhere out west.

IIRC, Pam was living near Colorado Springs near the time she left. She had recently gotten a divorce from her husband.

Pam and James were murdered on this day 48 years ago.
Thanks for the reminder. It's a shame the killer(s) got away with it, even though LE caught the guy who had the murder weapon. I can't believe they didn't arrest someone. At least their families know who was likely responsible for their murders.

The tire tracks left by the van driven by the killers at the dump site were from snow tires. Those wouldn't be used in SC, but likely from a vehicle owned by the victims who were from Colorado and Pennsylvania.

It would be great if family or friends of Pam and Jim could come forward and identify the vehicle they were traveling in at the time they were killed. It might also be possible for Colorado or Pennsylvania to search their old records to identify the type of vehicle registered to either of the victims.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. It's a shame the killer(s) got away with it, even though LE caught the guy who had the murder weapon. I can't believe they didn't arrest someone. At least their families know who was likely responsible for their murders.

The tire tracks left by the van driven by the killers at the dump site were from snow tires. Those wouldn't be used in SC, but likely from a vehicle owned by the victims who were from Colorado and Pennsylvania.

It would be great if family or friends of Pam and Jim could come forward and identify the vehicle they were traveling in at the time they were killed. It might also be possible for Colorado or Pennsylvania to search their old records to identify the type of vehicle registered to either of the victims.
Back then "snow tires" where often marketed as mud and snow or traction tires.
So it's possible someone was running them on their van for traction in muddy areas. Someone from up north would often remove their snow tires in the spring and especially before a trip south because they were noisy.
That's just my opinion growing up in southern Ohio. We always kept mud and snow tires on Dad's work car because the gravel roads could be really sloppy at times. But the good car only had snow tires in the winter months.
I don't think those tires being on the van proves that it came from CO or PA. It could have, but it could have also been local to SC.
Here's an example in a page from a 1975 Winter Sears catalog.

Back then "snow tires" where often marketed as mud and snow or traction tires.
So it's possible someone was running them on their van for traction in muddy areas. Someone from up north would often remove their snow tires in the spring and especially before a trip south because they were noisy.
That's just my opinion growing up in southern Ohio. We always kept mud and snow tires on Dad's work car because the gravel roads could be really sloppy at times. But the good car only had snow tires in the winter months.
I don't think those tires being on the van proves that it came from CO or PA. It could have, but it could have also been local to SC.
Here's an example in a page from a 1975 Winter Sears catalog.

Yes, understood. I grew up driving in the midwest and having snow tires. JMO, I think the odds were against people in southern SC would have them on their van, but it's possible.

Its likely Jim and Pam were traveling in a vehicle, though, possibly a van. Those were very popular at the time among the younger crowd and were convenient to use for long trips, as many had beds in the back for sleeping. LE determined via tire tracks and measurements that the vehicle that brought them to the crime scene was a van.

Post-mortem exams revealed the condition of their clothing and grooming made it very unlikely they were hitchhiking. They didn't live or stay in the area, so it's assumed they were passing through the area via a vehicle, possibly the van that drove them to their death scene.

To the best of my recollection, the individuals linked to the murder weapon that was found in their possession didn't own or drive a van. It's assumed these suspects killed Jim and Pam so they could steal the van, possibly also something inside of it. None of the victims possessions were found, other than the clothing and jewelry they were wearing.

All JMO, ICBW

Last edited:
Yes, understood. I grew up driving in the midwest and having snow tires. JMO, I think the odds were against people in southern SC would have them on their van, but it's possible.

Its likely Jim and Pam were traveling in a vehicle, though, possibly a van. Those were very popular at the time among the younger crowd and were convenient to use for long trips, as many had beds in the back for sleeping. LE determined via tire tracks and measurements that the vehicle that brought them to the crime scene was a van.

Post-mortem exams revealed the condition of their clothing and grooming made it very unlikely they were hitchhiking. They didn't live or stay in the area, so it's assumed they were passing through the area via a vehicle, possibly the van that drove them to their death scene.

To the best of my recollection, the individuals linked to the murder weapon that was found in their possession didn't own or drive a van. It's assumed these suspects killed Jim and Pam so they could steal the van, possibly also something inside of it. None of the victims possessions were found, other than the clothing and jewelry they were wearing.

All JMO, ICBW

I'm of the same opinion... the van likely belonged to James (and/or Pam). I don't know for certain but it seems possible snow tires were utilized on vehicles in certain areas of Colorado, too... where we know Pam had been living.

jmo

Interesting comments on snow tires. Today, vehicles have what are called "all weather radial" tires, but back in the mid 1970's and earlier, snow tires were used.

As mentioned, you would change out your rear tires for snow tires for winter driving, and (usually) change them back in the spring. This, of course, was because the vast majority of cars were rear wheel drive (RWD) back then.

One type of snow tire which was particularly effective was the Studded Snow Tire. These had what looked like nails embedded in the tread. Some states banned them because they were thought to deteriorate the road surfaces. And they were very noisy to the driver.

The "All Terrain" tires seen today are descendants of the earlier snow tire.

Interesting comments on snow tires. Today, vehicles have what are called "all weather radial" tires, but back in the mid 1970's and earlier, snow tires were used.

As mentioned, you would change out your rear tires for snow tires for winter driving, and (usually) change them back in the spring. This, of course, was because the vast majority of cars were rear wheel drive (RWD) back then.

One type of snow tire which was particularly effective was the Studded Snow Tire. These had what looked like nails embedded in the tread. Some states banned them because they were thought to deteriorate the road surfaces. And they were very noisy to the driver.

The "All Terrain" tires seen today are descendants of the earlier snow tire.
I live in Ontario and the tires I use in the winter are called winter tires. There are all season radials but they are not a good choice for the kind of weather and road conditions I have to drive in. The compound and tread pattern is made specially for these types of conditions: dry ice, sub-zero temperatures, different types of snow, translating back and forth between dry, wet, slush, snow, sleet,etc. An all season radial would perform better in areas where the temperatures aren't so extreme. Maybe areas like Ohio or Virginia would be an ideal environment for radials but most places in Canada with perhaps the exception of BC, really should be using winter tires for safe traveling. My summer tires also have a different compound and tread pattern, one that can handle high road heat temperatures. Since we experience extreme changes in temperatures in Ontario it's probably best to have two sets of tires. Once I drove to our place in Florida thinking I could get by on my winter tires since we were coming back when it was still winter in Canada. The tires degraded pretty quick on the hot roads in Florida.

I live in Ontario and the tires I use in the winter are called winter tires. There are all season radials but they are not a good choice for the kind of weather and road conditions I have to drive in. The compound and tread pattern is made specially for these types of conditions: dry ice, sub-zero temperatures, different types of snow, translating back and forth between dry, wet, slush, snow, sleet,etc. An all season radial would perform better in areas where the temperatures aren't so extreme. Maybe areas like Ohio or Virginia would be an ideal environment for radials but most places in Canada with perhaps the exception of BC, really should be using winter tires for safe traveling. My summer tires also have a different compound and tread pattern, one that can handle high road heat temperatures. Since we experience extreme changes in temperatures in Ontario it's probably best to have two sets of tires. Once I drove to our place in Florida thinking I could get by on my winter tires since we were coming back when it was still winter in Canada. The tires degraded pretty quick on the hot roads in Florida.
The modern winter tire uses a softer compound for snow and ice. But back when this crime happened there really wasn’t such advanced tire compounds and radial tires were not as common. So tires either had a “summer” tread or a “mud and snow” tread before radials made “all season” trade common. Even the early radial winter tires relied on big trad blocks for traction.

The modern winter tire uses a softer compound for snow and ice. But back when this crime happened there really wasn’t such advanced tire compounds and radial tires were not as common. So tires either had a “summer” tread or a “mud and snow” tread before radials made “all season” trade common. Even the early radial winter tires relied on big trad blocks for traction.

Radial tires have been around for over 60 years. They are best used in areas where the weather is fairly moderate; minimal amounts of snow or rare instances of plummeting temperatures. They would have been ideal in areas like North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, north Texas, etc. I think radial tires were used a lot more than you would think back in the day. Drivers also used to put chains on their tires or use studded treads but they've been banned in a lot of places where there's more vehicular traffic, because they wrecked the road surface. They are still allowed in Northern Ontario, however, not sure about other areas with subzero temps.

I think the terms snow tires, winter tires, and radial all season tires kind of became interchangeable until the actual winter compound tires were produced in the early 80s.

Why are we thinking they were driving a van? Is it because it was kind of an iconic image for young people traveling the US? I haven't gone back to read earlier posts but I think there were measurements of the distance between front and back tires and between the front tires which might suggest they were driving a van but weren't cars back then as big as boats? I saw one last night outside a restaurant we went to, probably from the early 70s. I drive a SUV which can be considered a light truck and that different chassis decide whether a vehicle is a car or a truck. I read that in Ohio an Avalanche 'truck' is considered a car but in Florida it's licensed as a truck. Some are considered SUVs because they have unibody construction. That's all very confusing to me. :confused:

Radial tires have been around for over 60 years. They are best used in areas where the weather is fairly moderate; minimal amounts of snow or rare instances of plummeting temperatures. They would have been ideal in areas like North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, north Texas, etc. I think radial tires were used a lot more than you would think back in the day. Drivers also used to put chains on their tires or use studded treads but they've been banned in a lot of places where there's more vehicular traffic, because they wrecked the road surface. They are still allowed in Northern Ontario, however, not sure about other areas with subzero temps.

I think the terms snow tires, winter tires, and radial all season tires kind of became interchangeable until the actual winter compound tires were produced in the early 80s.

Why are we thinking they were driving a van? Is it because it was kind of an iconic image for young people traveling the US? I haven't gone back to read earlier posts but I think there were measurements of the distance between front and back tires and between the front tires which might suggest they were driving a van but weren't cars back then as big as boats? I saw one last night outside a restaurant we went to, probably from the early 70s. I drive a SUV which can be considered a light truck and that different chassis decide whether a vehicle is a car or a truck. I read that in Ohio an Avalanche 'truck' is considered a car but in Florida it's licensed as a truck. Some are considered SUVs because they have unibody construction. That's all very confusing to me. :confused:
I’ll have to go back to re read some of the old news articles, but police claimed it could be due to measurement of tire tracks, tires, wheel base, etc. There was also a man who lived nearby who heard the noises of the vehicle, shots, etc

I'm in New Brunswick. I also use winter tires --- my insurance company requires me to use them end-Nov to end-March.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back