Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I think he did say that James tried to pawn the ring to him.

Anyone looking to pawn something to make extra cash is probably going to have a watch or ring. Not unusual. The type of ring that James wore was not unusual looking for the times.

JMO, the KOA story, while told with good intention, was and is a rabbit hole. It really offers nothing to help solve the case today. Terrible to think how much money and man hours were wasted on that story, but that's the way it goes with criminal investigations. You have to give local LE, Interpol, the Mounties and the rest credit for trying. But it was a dry hole.

Anyone looking to pawn something to make extra cash is probably going to have a watch or ring. Not unusual. The type of ring that James wore was not unusual looking for the times.

JMO, the KOA story, while told with good intention, was and is a rabbit hole. It really offers nothing to help solve the case today. Terrible to think how much money and man hours were wasted on that story, but that's the way it goes with criminal investigations. You have to give local LE, Interpol, the Mounties and the rest credit for trying. But it was a dry hole.

I concur. I can understand chasing the KOA bunnies when their ID was a mystery but not now. I still think the murderer was local.

I was just flipping thru reddit and I was excited that they gave us props here on WS for turning up photos from somewhere. Good job all.

There was a poster there who said they found an obit for James father, who died in 66 at 49. They reported it to say that James was in Germany during that time for service. No siblings named. This is really meaningless in solving the crime but I found it kind of interesting.

I was just flipping thru reddit and I was excited that they gave us props here on WS for turning up photos from somewhere. Good job all.

There was a poster there who said they found an obit for James father, who died in 66 at 49. They reported it to say that James was in Germany during that time for service. No siblings named. This is really meaningless in solving the crime but I found it kind of interesting.

In a way it explains why his family didn't have luck publicizing the fact he was missing. His mother remarried. James was an only child. His ex wife petitioned to have him declared dead. His children were still very young when he was killed. There wasn't anyone left to try to get his missing persons report publicized.

In a way it explains why his family didn't have luck publicizing the fact he was missing. His mother remarried. James was an only child. His ex wife petitioned to have him declared dead. His children were still very young when he was killed. There wasn't anyone left to try to get his missing persons report publicized.

I don't think there was no-one left, there was his mother for one.

At least it had something to base it on—the witness story. Think of the endless hours that were wasted digging at the Argentina rabbit hole—when there wasn’t a smidgen of evidence pointing in that direction.

now, are you saying this seriously or facetiously?

I'm relying on the news article from 2008. The husband of a KOA campground employee met a man named Jock. Jock is a teacher from Canada whose father was disappointed that he didn't study medicine. That has nothing to do with J.P. Freund.

The tip shifted the direction of the investigation in 1977, but the tip is unrelated to the murders. That's obvious today since we know that the name and background of the victim.

upload_2021-1-29_0-29-56.png

4 Apr 2008, 3 - National Post at Newspapers.com

I like to tinker around with Google Street View. Here is James Freund's home at 333 West Walnut Street in Lancaster, PA. A couple of clicks forward and you can see the 33 on the wall. I verified that it's 333 by checking the nearby 327 and 329:

Google Maps
Wow, what amazing homes! I'm not used to seeing that kind of architecture here in BC. Looks like he lived in a nice place!

This recent YouTube video (below) has a decent view of the bodies location photo at 1:30. I always believed the clearing at distant left was toward the center of Locklair. That is still possible but now I am strongly confident it is looking back toward the intersection of Locklair and Old St. John Church Road. The opposite side of Old St. John Church Road is fairly barren so it could look like a clearing in a blurry old photo. The pronounced slope is the tip off characteristic toward which side of Locklair. But after looking at video view of this photo I think it was somewhat further away from the intersection than the Google Street View version I posted the other day. Maybe 60-75 yards and not 40 yards. The trees were healthier and tighter to Locklair in 1976.

Note the tree at far left that juts out closest to Locklair. That is another indication to me that we are looking at the intersection side. When I checked the end of my video from 2019 it's the same thing, the tree on that side almost reaching Locklair. However, from my video I can see that it's another 20 yards or so from that tree until the intersection. That's why it looks like a clearing. It is a clearing. There is a 20 yard gap before Old St. John Road, then the road itself, and finally a less tree covered far side of Old. St John Road.

Also, after looking at my old video I don't beat myself up for not figuring out it was the left side. That left side was an overgrown jungle when I visited, the terrain not easily deciphered.

1:30 for photo. The summary of the case is not bad but she used her old video and then spliced in the new stuff after identification:

I realize I've worn out this topic on bodies location. This will be the final related comment. First a photo that demonstrates the tree line on the left side extends much further than the right side, and also that the ditch with slope remains pronounced most of the way:

Google Maps

Then, turning the angle around from the identical location, note the large tree at left that comes closest to Locklair, followed by the 20 yard gap to Old St. John Church Road, and then the barren area on the opposite side. That is what we are looking at in the 1976 photo. Trees younger and healthier in summer 1976 so everything nearer to road:

Google Maps

Wow, what amazing homes! I'm not used to seeing that kind of architecture here in BC. Looks like he lived in a nice place!
I would not assume it was necessarily nice in the 1970s - it may have been or it may have been run down. Many US cities went through urban blight where neighborhoods deteriorated. Some were torn down, some were gentrified and are nice again (urban renewal), etc.

I would not assume it was necessarily nice in the 1970s - it may have been or it may have been run down. Many US cities went through urban blight where neighborhoods deteriorated. Some were torn down, some were gentrified and are nice again (urban renewal), etc.

Yes, I realized after I wrote that, that I really meant to say I liked the 'character' look of that kind of architecture, not that it was necessarily as equally 'up to par' in the interior for lack of a better explanation ;)

To further expand on Lancaster's past: population was declining in the 1960s and 1970s. It didn't start growing again until the 1990s. Part is probably the move to suburbs which happened across the US, but also many areas in Pennsylvania suffered because they were dependent on coal mining and steel production which was drying up.

The area near James' old residence is now Lancaster Historic District. This often implies an area that was rough, but eventually preserved.
it could have been nice in 1975, it could have also been a "rough" area.

At least it had something to base it on—the witness story. Think of the endless hours that were wasted digging at the Argentina rabbit hole—when there wasn’t a smidgen of evidence pointing in that direction.
Agree, all the theories about the victims being foreign were not helpful. It seemed odd when I first read this thread years ago and wondered why everyone focused o that.

As for families "not doing enough" to publicize missing persons, I'm just a few years younger than Pamela. I know how things were back then. It just wasn't done. Both victims were reported missing at the time. Any attempts to get a big news media campaign going wouldn't have helped.

Victim blaming doesn't help. Family members are victims too. Its probably why most don't talk to the news media.

A glaring trend with these older unsolved cases -- and even newer cases -- is that there was little if any media involvement. That reversal alone would surge countless cases to the forefront, enabling sleuthers to find the old articles and videos, identify the name, and make the connection. Instead the family members somehow have more trust in their local sheriff than the local paper or news anchor, so they trudge into the police station and share their story, where it becomes filed away...never to be seen again.

There was plenty available to solve this case. Heck, we had not 2 but all three initials...JPF. Imagine if Freund's family had gone to the Pennsylvania media and publicized his absence including the full name and detail that he had a ring with those initials. Apparently nothing like that happened. They waited for the required number of years to pass and then fulfilled the legal requirements to declare him dead. Pamela's family had someone who was within a specialized field. Heck, that one promotional photo would have generated interest. We may not be hearing quickly from family members and friends 45 years later but just think of media in the late '70s and early '80s saying the Buckley family is looking for a missing member of Sunlending. One fan after another from those performances would recognize who it was and spread the word. Not impossible that Pam is identified long before that Unsolved Mysteries episode in 1995.

Admittedly this baffles the heck out of me because I have a journalism degree. That profession is loaded with terrific people. It is disgraceful how conventional wisdom has so incompetently veered the other way, toward distrust and ridicule. Be ignorant somewhere else. I understand some people are not comfortable on camera or even providing interview for print. But the media is aware of that. It is the reason they often do the interview in the person's own home, with everyone there. Comfort in numbers and familiarity. The benefits are potentially enormous and overwhelm the brief awkward tension.

Think of that Cleveland case. Two of the three missing girls had become media cases. Therefore the responding officers were well aware of the names in real time as everything unfolded that afternoon. The other girl became, "Who is that?" solely because Michele Knight's family took the paperwork route and not the high profile media path. Granted, Michele was an adult while the others were not.

Eventually even with an adult you know darn well something's wrong if there's no word from them. The families of a missing person who merely speak to law enforcement will continue to lessen expectancy level compared to families who push one media outlet after another. There should be a kit of recommendations. DNA Doe Project and similar firms cannot be one dimensional. They need to take steps to advise as well as solve. Family members should contact law enforcement and media, along with forging their own presence online. The missing persons databases need to be combined and refined. Every time I look at Namus I think that's great but this should be the junior varsity version. It looks like 1996 caliber. Pamela unquestionably would have been proposed as Sumter Jane Doe if suitable photos filled that page on debut in 2019.

It is not the media's job to do LE's job though. We can't blame the media. I blame the many LE organizations who still have not uploaded their cases to NAMUS.

I'd argue that there needs to be a national law that mandates that ALL missing persons must be uploaded into NAMUS immediately. That they MUST go through their old case files and upload those too. That a DNA sample be taken from a relative soon after an individual goes missing, that a photo(s) be obtained and that they also be uploaded to NAMUS.

In this case, both were reported missing. There was access to photographs for them, and - eventually there was DNA although not at the time they were reported missing. Only one ended up on NAMUS and even then, no photo of Pamela was uploaded (though they were available) in 2018. Even without that photo a connection was brought forward on this very website --- imagine had her actual, available, photo also been uploaded. She would have been submitted way back then; of that I am certain.

The tools already exist to fix this. Someone just needs to enact the law and order that it happen instead of the mere "recommendation" that it is now. They have an available database with a huge public populace willing to assist them in matching and putting clues together, they just need to use it to it's full potential.

ITA. If they were working with produce there would’ve been physical signs of it.

There's a post on Never Forget Me in their album from the daughter of a lady that sold them ice cream and peaches before they died. If I remember right, she said they drove up on a motorcycle.

It is not the media's job to do LE's job though. We can't blame the media. I blame the many LE organizations who still have not uploaded their cases to NAMUS.

I'd argue that there needs to be a national law that mandates that ALL missing persons must be uploaded into NAMUS immediately. That they MUST go through their old case files and upload those too. That a DNA sample be taken from a relative soon after an individual goes missing, that a photo(s) be obtained and that they also be uploaded to NAMUS.

In this case, both were reported missing. There was access to photographs for them, and - eventually there was DNA although not at the time they were reported missing. Only one ended up on NAMUS and even then, no photo of Pamela was uploaded (though they were available) in 2018. Even without that photo a connection was brought forward on this very website --- imagine had her actual, available, photo also been uploaded. She would have been submitted way back then; of that I am certain.

The tools already exist to fix this. Someone just needs to enact the law and order that it happen instead of the mere "recommendation" that it is now. They have an available database with a huge public populace willing to assist them in matching and putting clues together, they just need to use it to it's full potential.
Great points, especially about using volunteers. We really shouldn't want killers still roaming in our communities.

It's not like the case was going anywhere at the time. It was a possible match and people followed up on it.

The one thing you didn't mention is who's going to pay for all this labor.

There's a post on Never Forget Me in their album from the daughter of a lady that sold them ice cream and peaches before they died. If I remember right, she said they drove up on a motorcycle.
People have been looking for that post. Any chance you have a link to it?

It's not like the case was going anywhere at the time. It was a possible match and people followed up on it.

The one thing you didn't mention is who's going to pay for all this labor.

People have been looking for that post. Any chance you have a link to it?

Just a shifting of priorities and budget would go a long way. Volunteers are free labor, too. Maybe a little for training and coffee and donuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pinkriggs75