Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was really happening something beautiful on this thread....everybody had the same focus...who are these unidentified persons? working together, exited together....love came streaming from all of us, for our fellow sleuths we have known and worked with longer....mistakes forgiven....everybody interested and joined us in the last days....I'm so proud to be a part of this. Thank you all. I'm also so proud of the people who made the identity happen after all this long, long years. Thanks especially to @CarlK90245 and the rest of DNA Project team and the glorious guy on the background and also the mods.....when things are heating up it's a hell of a job.

Last edited:
That is correct about the gun, Lonnie and his son. He claimed the gun came from his brother as a Christmas gift and he (Lonnie) did not possess it at the time of the murders. I believe the brother denied ever having it.

MOO...I have always thought robbery was the motive, during which time their wallets were taken. Thus, no identification was found with the bodies. Their rings and other jewelry were not taken because it would have been traceable.
But which Christmas? I had read that he claimed to have given the gun as a Christmas gift two years prior, before the murders.

I am very interested in learning more about LGH's son. If he did it, then he might have had an accomplice who is still alive. It may even be that his drowning death in the Pee Dee River wasn't an accident.

LE should take a hard look at the people who were with him when he drowned.

There was really happening something beautiful on this thread....everybody had the same focus...who are these unidentified persons? working together, exited together....love came streaming from all of us, for our fellow sleuths we known and worked with longer....everybody interested and joined us in the last days....I'm so proud to be a part of this. Thank you all. I'm also so proud of the people who made the identity happen after all this long, long years.
There are so many more cases! Enough to do.

Yesterday after being on WS and hearing the name Pamela Buckley, I went on Reddit and posted her name as possibly Jane.. I was immediately called into chat (which I never use) and a lady very kindly ask if I would remove her name, she was family and it hadn't been released. I felt terrible! Of course I removed it and offered to come on here and get a mod to remove it here..but she said that was ok..so many people already knew at that point. Rest in Peace Pamela and James, you deserved so much better.

I saw that. I felt bad the name had to be removed since it was obviously correct. But when I replied I made sure to use her first name only. They allowed that to stand. I have seen that previously on Reddit. I made sure to add some detail to allow others within the thread to understand that it was going to turn out to be the correct name.

But which Christmas? I had read that he claimed to have given the gun as a Christmas gift two years prior, before the murders.

I am very interested in learning more about LGH's son. If he did it, then he might have had an accomplice who is still alive. It may even be that his drowning death in the Pee Dee River wasn't an accident.

LE should take a hard look at the people who were with him when he drowned.
What if said brother only found the gun? What if these people have nothing to do with the murders?

I'm still shocked but at the same time also happy that we were right. It's sad that this is where Pamela Mae's journey ends once again - she is for sure dead, been for the past 46 years, but she finally has her name back. And the sheriff said that they families are going to be bringing Pam's and James's bodies home. It's comforting.

ke62ekowkqc61.png

RIP, Pamela and James.
It’s great to see who she was, I’m curious, what method is used to enhance the quality of the photo? I’ve seen this done with the photos of Julie Davis.

I saw that. I felt bad the name had to be removed since it was obviously correct. But when I replied I made sure to use her first name only. They allowed that to stand. I have seen that previously on Reddit. I made sure to add some detail to allow others within the thread to understand that it was going to turn out to be the correct name.

I can understand you feeling bad. In the excitement, we all want to run out and shout! The important thing to remember is you didn't intend any malice and you also responded kindly to a family member's request. :)

I wonder if we'll ever know their story. A passing thought of mine was maybe they didn't know eachother at all- maybe they were simply victims of the same killer and both of their bodies were dumped at the same spot. But I very much doubt it, I believe they knew eachother, somehow. I wonder where they were going, what they were thinking.
I hope that somehow they know that 40 odd years later, a lot of people cared about them.

If the pictures and newspaper clippings folks have shared here are indeed of the "right" James Freund... then it seems James is from my neck of the woods. He was raised and attended school in the Lancaster area and then was stationed for a time at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen, MD. Like most people from the Susquehanna River Valley (or whose ancestors settled there) he is of German, likely Swiss German, heritage which is reflected in his surname. He was an Army guy who had been married previously and somehow gave all that up for a life on the road, at least temporarily. Will be interested to find out if his father was indeed a doctor or if this was all just a story Jim wove to throw people off his scent (the Army?) who could've possibly been looking for him. I'm not trying to slander the dead, but could he have gone AWOL?

I wonder if we'll ever know their story. A passing thought of mine was maybe they didn't know eachother at all- maybe they were simply victims of the same killer and both of their bodies were dumped at the same spot. But I very much doubt it, I believe they knew eachother, somehow. I wonder where they were going, what they were thinking.
I hope that somehow they know that 40 odd years later, a lot of people cared about them.
They knew each other. They were together at that summer camp center.

If the pictures and newspaper clippings folks have shared here are indeed of the "right" James Freund... then it seems James is from my neck of the woods. He was raised and attended school in the Lancaster area and then was stationed for a time at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen, MD. Like most people from the Susquehanna River Valley (or whose ancestors settled there) he is of German, likely Swiss German, heritage which is reflected in his surname. He was an Army guy who had been married previously and somehow gave all that up for a life on the road, at least temporarily. Will be interested to find out if his father was indeed a doctor or if this was all just a story Jim wove to throw people off his scent (the Army?) who could've possibly been looking for him. I'm not trying to slander the dead, but could he have gone AWOL?

I guess he was hiding from his ex wife.

James P. Freund. That means the ring with the JPF engravings did belong to him, and was easily the best tip toward identification. For whatever reason the family didn't become aware of this case and put it together, nor anyone who knew he was missing.

They said he was reported missing in 1975.

Kind of a bare bones presentation today. I expected photos and maybe some relatives to appear. They apparently don't know how the two victims met. But great job that it's finally solved.

Instead of an Argentine connection we were looking for Pam and James

The one commonality with all these law enforcement pressers is that the microphones are too far away and therefore volume not loud enough. Nobody is expecting Hollywood but that aspect should be fixed. I wish DNA Doe Project would make note of this and give them a tip ahead of time.

It was almost guaranteed that these identities have been known for quite a while. We are not dealing in real time. As I mentioned a Reddit poster said he has known Jane's identity for weeks. That means researchers have had plenty of time to find out more about Sunlending. Maybe even some old videos or audio? That Reddit poster said he would provide more info on Jane and maybe even a video once her identity was released.

Then it becomes a matter of how much we hear from relatives and friends. Always a wild card. Nobody wants to push. Let me emphasize that. Obviously it's preferable to long time followers if they come forward and fill in some of blanks. Pamela's husband is apparently still alive at age 76 and living in Colorado Springs. He could describe her lifestyle and mindset at the time, along with details of last time she was seen in December 1975. Also there are two brothers and two sisters. Plus the two male members of Sunlending.

Maybe the guy who plans to do the book on the case will develop confidence of family members. He spoke twice at the presser today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member