Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
College coaches indicted in admissions bribery case

Boston – College coaches and others have been charged in a sweeping admissions bribery case unsealed in federal court.

The racketeering conspiracy charges unveiled Tuesday were brought against the coaches at schools including Wake Forest University, Georgetown and the University of Southern California.

Authorities say the coaches accepted bribes in exchange for admitting students as athletes, regardless of their ability...

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Loughlin go to college? Maybe she was going to be into the college parent scene. Games, homecoming, what else?

I'm going to detail some of these creeps:

Gordon Caplan
, a lawyer and a co-chairman of the international law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher. He's been placed on "leave" from his firm.

"Caplan discussed getting his daughter’s ACT score, which was 22 on practice tests, into the 32 to 34 range, which might help her get into his alma mater, Cornell University.

Singer explained to Caplan that his daughter would have to be examined by a psychologist and deemed to have learning disabilities so she could have extra time to take the ACT.

Once granted an extended time test, Singer told Caplan, according to the government, then Caplan’s daughter would take the test and turn it in. Her proctor, who was in on the scheme, would then exam the test after Caplan’s daughter left, make corrections and fill it out so she received the score her father designed, according to the government’s charging documents.

“And it works?” Caplan asked.

“Every time,” Singer replied, laughing."

Greenwich lawyer indicted in college admissions scandal placed on leave by his New York law firm

How sick is that?
Oh yea, Caplan's wife is the one who said, “To be honest, I’m not worried about the moral issue here. I’m worried about the, if she’s caught doing that, you know, she’s finished.”

Yes!! The whole thing is sick! Singer told them that "Caplan’s daughter had “to be stupid” when she was getting tested for a learning disability to ensure she got the extra time." Talk about a prestigious label to put on your kid.

Olivia gloats on her video how she furnished her whole dorm room, fancy, fancy, overthetop... in a few days with her Amazon Prime connection......

My how life has changed with these spoiled rotten glitter gloaters.:mad:

One of my fondest college memories:

My Mom taking me in August 1979 a week before my freshman year started on a special trip to Kmart:rolleyes: to buy dorm items. I was soooooo happy!!

She bought me:
3 bathtowels, washcloths, and handtowels- 1 set in burnt orange
and 2 sets in green. One set!!!! of extra long twin sheets o_O. Footlocker trunk..from summer camp.. which she crafted elastic inside the lid to hold stuff...and the elastic was recycled from the waistbands of our old pants and underwear!! :confused:
Individual silverware, each piece on cardboard. Corelle pretty floral pattern groovy dishes set....

And my prize.....a single burner hotplate! which made my dorm room pretty hip.

She let me take our big fat dictionary which was my best friend to this day. :)

I am a proud BigTen grad, Summa *advertiser censored* Laude and my "key" is not that of Mr. Singer, but of Ms. Phi Beta Kappa. Yes, my gloat :cool:, Ms. Olivia.

Congratulations on your success.

Congratulations on your success.
A very gracious Thank You, Mercedes.

As you know, it is all in the journey.

And I wouldn't trade my fond memories of the Kmart prep trip and my precious dictionary for anything. That includes any glitter garbage from Amazon.

Really, these kids have no clue what achievement even means.

I don't think the founder of Mossimo needs those connections. These people have enough connections. Loughlin was clear enough about why she was insistent her kids go to college. It was for the experience. But I think bragging rights were as important.
They will probably cry in court or in their public rehabilitation tour about how they did this because they just loved their child soooooo much. (Although poor Felicity Huffman's other daughter.... did mom not love her as much for not going through with it?) But I don't think it really had that much to do with their kids. It just seems like it was all about what they get to tell their wealthy friends and social circles and puff piece magazine articles and television morning show interviews.

I saw in that article where it said that in a perverse way, some parents were thrilled to see that USC is being seen as elite, right in there with the same prestige as the Harvards and Yales and Ivy League schools....

"While the accused parents’ desperation for entrance to USC was mocked by many on social media, others saw it as a recognition, however perverse, of the university’s rapid rise in reputation and standards."

USC’s central role in college admissions scandal brings anger and dismay

I'm actually more shocked that they didn't have more strict cross checking of recruiting elite athletic talent.

I loved this tweet...great idea!

Sam Farmer ‏Verified account @LATimesfarmer
On top of fines and jail time, the schools should have to start all the “players” it recruited.

I hope that each kid that was admitted through this scheme, is kicked out. If they are allowed to attend, then the college is just as guilty as the parents are.

Once this scheme came to light, the students do not have the right or privilege of continuing in their chosen university. More than likely, 95% of the students were aware of what their parents had done to get them accepted.
The students carried no shame - the parents have always made sure their child had whatever they wanted.

My opinion only.

You know, Lori Loughlin is quoted in so many interviews talking about her daughters in college that I swear I think this had to do as much with "image" than anything else. Social currency. Status to drop. The latest in thing to have. "Oh Olivia is going to USC. I'm so sad, it's so hard when your kids leave the nest for college." Fake cry. Blah blah blech. Real life desperate housewives.

And I actually do sadly feel like Lori Loughlin could end up as the next housewife on Bravo's Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. But who knows. She's pretty toxic right now.

I thought it was interesting that Felicity Huffman and her husband showed up at court again today looking pretty rough and channeling vagrants, I believe Page 6 called it. It's almost like they know to do the opposite of showing up looking polished, affluent, and arrogant. They are both pretty good actors. I'm sure they are distraught, but I'm so distrusting now I feel like they are being advised and it was intentional. Because today they had time to get ready. It's not like the feds - surprise! - showed up at their door again today with guns drawn. So this was the look they threw together. Am I wrong to not believe they were just too distressed to put brushes through their hair?

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/15/feli...089.975117333.1547771259-592266791.1547771259

I think it’s sad to see William H. Macy in this situation, because I really like him as an actor. IMO. But you have a valid point, he’s such a great actor , he could probably pull anything off. I have actually never heard of his wife so no idea about her. Jmo

I hope that each kid that was admitted through this scheme, is kicked out. If they are allowed to attend, then the college is just as guilty as the parents are.

Once this scheme came to light, the students do not have the right or privilege of continuing in their chosen university. More than likely, 95% of the students were aware of what their parents had done to get them accepted.
The students carried no shame - the parents have always made sure their child had whatever they wanted.

My opinion only.

I agree. I don’t see how they can be allowed to stay, they were admitted fraudently, how could they be considered legitimate students? Also wondering how their fellow students are going to react to all this, you know, the ones who worked their butts off, are indebted to school loans, and working night jobs and are legal.

I agree. I don’t see how they can be allowed to stay, they were admitted fraudently, how could they be considered legitimate students? Also wondering how their fellow students are going to react to all this, you know, the ones who worked their butts off to get there and are legal.

That’s what I’ve been wondering about! I’m sure all of the students involved are being targeted verbally by some fellow students and I imagine that it must be very uncomfortable for all involved. What a mess.

I half expected LL/MG/FH/WM to issue a statement via the PR rep but it’s been radio silence on both fronts. But I guess you can’t defend the indefensible. They’re all a bunch of cheaters & bribers.

Can you imagine how the other defendants in this case are being dealt with by their fellow employees? I mean the ones who are still employed. Most of them are top notch, high level CEO’s. How can any of them expect honesty and integrity from their workforce now that it’s public information that they were willing to lie/cheat/bribe on their spoiled kids’ behalf. Epic parent fail on all parts.

Those kids are abused and neglected. They were raised in an environment of entitlement mentality without any moral or ethical values.

I seriously feel badly for those kids, they never had a chance to say, "No". Their parents narcissism meant that the kids were/are reflections of what the narcissistic parents wanted their children to be. Lori Loughlin wanted her daughter to go to USC, even though it is apparent her daughter has no real interest in a college degree, beyond decorating her dorm room.

I do feel badly for the kids involved, they never had a chance to understand what ethics are. No role models or examples from their parents.

I agree. I don’t see how they can be allowed to stay, they were admitted fraudently, how could they be considered legitimate students? Also wondering how their fellow students are going to react to all this, you know, the ones who worked their butts off, are indebted to school loans, and working night jobs and are legal.

Not only the admission issue, but what about their current attendance and grades?

Who is allowing them to not attend, not take exams, make up grades or get special priviledges?

I would think other students (like me) who Always attended classes, Always studied, Always prepped for exams and projects would be outraged to see these neer-do-well creeps out there flaunting their distain for the academic work that should be part of a degree.

Do you really thing Olivia Jade is getting up for 8 am classes and staying through the full day’s curriculum? That she goes back to a dorm room (like the one she promoted for Amazon’s marketing) to study 4 hours. That she sits an exam prepared and respectful of the curriculum?

These fraud kids all need to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member