Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
USC’s ex-Athletic Director now drives for Lyft.

USC official fired in college admissions scandal works as Lyft driver after putting home on market | Daily Mail Online

(I admit that I laughed when I read this headline! Does that make me a bad person? Lol)

No, you are not a bad person. A woman has one of the cush jobs in the world, with a six figure salary and benefits. She blows it for more cash. I guess that there is nothing to charge her with.

How the mighty have fallen...

I have always wondered why people would take bribes or do stupid things to jeopardize their jobs...so not worth it.

But Singer told her would be going to Yale instead — which she didn’t find weird because she was 'so unfamiliar with how people apply to schools in the U.S.,' Spertus claimed.

'Rick Singer’s instructions to her didn’t seem as out of place as they would to a student who grew up in the United States and has more of an expectation of free choice,' he told the paper."

I can sort of understand this. Sort of. As someone who didn't grow up in the US and wasn't familiar with the college application process either (until my eldest went through it a few years ago), it's all new and unknown and you have no idea what's normal and what's not.

But. When you get designated a soccer recruit when you don't play soccer, and have to pay an exorbitant amount of money just to get in, on top of the tuition, red flags should have gone up - if not with the student, then with her family.

MOO

But. When you get designated a soccer recruit when you don't play soccer, and have to pay an exorbitant amount of money just to get in, on top of the tuition, red flags should have gone up - if not with the student, then with her family.

MOO[/QUOTE]

(RSBM)

Totally, totally, totally!!!!!

Dr. Phil apologizes to Slippery Rock, says didn’t know it was real | TribLIVE.com

Phil McGraw, best known as “Dr. Phil,” apologized to Slippery Rock University after slighting the university in comments he made about the college admissions scandal.

McGraw said he didn’t know Slippery Rock University existed and thought he was making up the name.

“Please accept my apology for referring to ‘Slippery Rock’ during a recent interview as the antithesis of the kind of school parents caught up in the college admissions scandal would be bragging about their children attending,” McGraw wrote to students, faculty and alumni.

In an interview Thursday, McGraw said the college admission scandal wasn’t about parents buying an education for their kids but buying the prestige that comes with attending an Ivy or top-tier university.

“I think it’s bragging rights for them, and they don’t want to be the one parent that says, ‘Well, yeah, my kid’s going to, like, Slippery Rock,’” McGraw said.

The Latest College Scandal Twist? A Family Allegedly Didn’t Know Their $1.2M Was A Bribe

The family was described in court documents as having paid Singer $1.2 million in connection with their daughter’s application to Yale. Prosecutors said that the daughter, whom they called Yale Applicant 1 in court documents, was admitted to the university as a recruit for the women’s soccer team — and of course she was not a competitive soccer player.

On Friday, Yale Applicant 1 was identified by the Wall Street Journal, as Sherry Guo, a young woman from China who was a freshman at Yale until last month.

And according to the WSJ, families from China paid the most in the cheating scandal.

According to Guo’s lawyer, James Spertus, the young woman and her parents did not know the payment was going to be used for a bribe. The parents reportedly do not speak English, never had direct contact with Singer, and the report alleges that that Guo was “naive” about the American college admissions process.

Guo and her family were introduced to Singer in 2017 by a financial adviser based in Los Angeles, where Guo was attending high school. Someone at the financial adviser’s office contacted Singer, stating that “Yale Applicant 1’s father wished to make a ‘donation’ to ‘one of those top schools for his daughter’s ‘application,’” the charging documents said.

Group faces new charges in college admissions scandal

BOSTON —

More than a dozen parents were arraigned Monday on new charges in the nationwide college admissions scandal.

Nineteen defendants, including actress Lori Loughlin, are facing additional charges after being indicted last month for conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering.

In a way, this reminds me of some guys on "Las Vegas: COPS", it was a group of men from Russia, who paid 2 women for sex, and the women stole their cameras, and cellphones, wallets...the men reported the theft to the police..

Police: "So, you paid women for sex?".
Vladimir:" Yes, we pay them for sex and they stole our wallets.".

The Russian guys were hilarious. The women probably didn't think they would report the theft, due to payment for prostitution. The Russian guys didn't realize that it was illegal to pay prostitutes...

Prosecutor: "Ms. Loughlin, you paid $500,000 for your daughter to go to USC?".
Loughlin: "Yes, we thought that Olivia pretending to be a rower, and paying bribes was perfectly fine.".

In a way, this reminds me of some guys on "Las Vegas: COPS", it was a group of men from Russia, who paid 2 women for sex, and the women stole their cameras, and cellphones, wallets...the men reported the theft to the police..

Police: "So, you paid women for sex?".
Vladimir:" Yes, we pay them for sex and they stole our wallets.".

The Russian guys were hilarious. The women probably didn't think they would report the theft, due to payment for prostitution. The Russian guys didn't realize that it was illegal to pay prostitutes...

Prosecutor: "Ms. Loughlin, you paid $500,000 for your daughter to go to USC?".
Loughlin: "Yes, we thought that Olivia pretending to be a rower, and paying bribes was perfectly fine.".

This is the best analogy, yet.

Lori Loughlin and husband reportedly want to face trial for redemption

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/30/lori...9.1075882730.1555990657-1292344417.1555990657

Lori Loughlin and her husband want to face trial in the nationwide college admissions scandal because they believe it is their best chance for redemption, according to a report.

“Lori feels like so much damage has been done publicly that the only way for her to counter it is to fight this case in court,” a source told People magazine about the 54-year-old “Full House” star.

“She feels like once all the evidence is presented, that people will understand how things happened,” the source added.

What bs. No, the reality is this:

“She doesn’t want to spend time in jail,” the source told the mag, “but she knows that any sort of plea or conviction at this point will include jail time. Her only chance of avoiding jail is to go to court and be found not guilty.”

She really is arrogant and entitled enough to still not believe that what she did was a big deal. You paid huge amounts of money to someone to fraudulently get your kids into college, lady. A $500,00 bribe doesn't tip you off to knowing something shady was happening? I really hope she takes her chances in court and ends up having the book thrown at her.

I finally got a chance to read the article and came here to comment on exactly this part. And this:

"“Calling in favors, donating money to the alumni association, hiring consultants. Those are all things that parents do. And so they gave money to this consultant, not entirely knowing everything that was going to be done," the source explained. "When it all fell apart, nobody was as surprised as they were that they were in trouble.”"

Such baloney. They had their daughters pose for 'rowing pictures', caused a scene in the guidance counselor's office and got cautioned not to do it again because they might out the whole scheme, and were in phone calls with Singer where they clearly knew their so-called charitable donations were all that - so-called.

Please. Just because I didn't graduate from USC doesn't mean I'm too dumb to see through lies. :rolleyes:

MOO

Oh and in case anyone forgot (are you listening, Lori and Massimo?), here's what actually happened ('allegedly'):

Lori Loughlin Allegedly Discussed With Scam Ringleader How to Explain Her Bribe to the IRS

"“I just want to give you a heads-up that my foundation is being audited,” Singer — identified as a cooperating witness in the affidavit — allegedly said to Giannulli in one conversation. “They asked me about your 2 payments of $200,000. And, of course, I’m not gonna say anything about your payments going to [crew coach] Donna Heinel at USC to get the girls into USC, through crew.”

“Sure,” Giannulli allegedly responded.

“So I just want to make sure our stories are the same, and that your $400K was paid to our foundation to help underserved kids.”

In a subsequent call with Loughlin, Singer allegedly repeated the information about the IRS. Loughlin allegedly agreed that they would tell the IRS that the money they paid was a charitable donation, and not used to secure Olivia Jade’s spot at USC.

“So we just have to say we made a donation to your foundation and that’s it, end of story,” Loughlin allegedly said."
This is why the defense team is so keen on seeing all the evidence right now. You had better be absolutely sure there is no smoking gun if you're going to claim your clients had no idea that their donation were used to fund illegal activities on their behalf. If there was such evidence that strategy might result in an angry judge and jury and even more jail time.

Of course it is a weak defense. They need a lawyer to counsel them to just be quiet. Not a single "sources report" or "friends say" has been helpful to these people. For goodness sakes, they need effective counsel.
Sadly I think it's quite possible they are receiving effective counsel and still choose to do whatever they want.

Call me cynical (my family does all the time) but I wouldn’t bet a dime on these people doing any prison time. I know the feds have a good case but these people also have hired some of the best defense attorneys out there. I’ll believe it when I see Lori in prison garb.

Call me cynical (my family does all the time) but I wouldn’t bet a dime on these people doing any prison time. I know the feds have a good case but these people also have hired some of the best defense attorneys out there. I’ll believe it when I see Lori in prison garb.

So true. Tori Spelling owes $100,000's of thousands of dollars to creditors, there was even a bench warrant out for her arrest. Instead, she will go to her lawyer's office next week.

Gal in our town bounced a few checks, less than $1,000 total, her mug shot is in the local paper, already in jail for three months.

The rich are treated differently.

Dr. Phil apologizes to Slippery Rock, says didn’t know it was real | TribLIVE.com

Phil McGraw, best known as “Dr. Phil,” apologized to Slippery Rock University after slighting the university in comments he made about the college admissions scandal.

McGraw said he didn’t know Slippery Rock University existed and thought he was making up the name.

“Please accept my apology for referring to ‘Slippery Rock’ during a recent interview as the antithesis of the kind of school parents caught up in the college admissions scandal would be bragging about their children attending,” McGraw wrote to students, faculty and alumni.

In an interview Thursday, McGraw said the college admission scandal wasn’t about parents buying an education for their kids but buying the prestige that comes with attending an Ivy or top-tier university.

“I think it’s bragging rights for them, and they don’t want to be the one parent that says, ‘Well, yeah, my kid’s going to, like, Slippery Rock,’” McGraw said.
This is hilarious, :) and that is an unusual name for a college, IMO. I bet he'd heard of it though and thought it was a joke or something, how else could anyone come up with that name for a university just out of the blue, LOL.
Or, maybe he really did know it was a school and just thought he could get away with it :D

Last edited:

I think he knew about the college. Dr. Phil is often kind of a snob about systems that aren't his own or that he doesn't see as top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo