Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome. Just add me to the long list of struggling parents who scrimped, saved and borrowed to send two kids to college to obtain a degree they cherish.
Same here, as a single parent, years and years focusing on my daughter's education and well being, financial sacrifices, and she worked her butt off, on her own, to get where she is now. It galls me no end that some of these wealthy parents claim desperation and hardship. As for Lori, who still lives in her elitist privileged cloud, with her David versus Goliath statement ....makes me sick and enraged.

Instead of realizing they were giving her a chance to plead guilty and escape additional charges, she thinks she’s a scapegoat. And still appears to not be acknowledging what she did was a crime. Is this delusional thinking? Ignoring her legal teams advice? Living in LaLa Land? Or all of the above? SMH
Lori Loughlin Is ‘Terrified’ About New Charges: ‘This Stress Is About to Break Them,’ Source Says

Isn't "feels like a scapegoat" the language of narcissists?

I mean, that's not surprising, but she's hardly shoving her best foot forward, is she??

Same here, as a single parent, years and years focusing on my daughter's education and well being, financial sacrifices, and she worked her butt off, on her own, to get where she is now. It galls me no end that some of these wealthy parents claim desperation and hardship. As for Lori, who still lives in her elitist privileged cloud, with her David versus Goliath statement ....makes me sick and enraged.

and the excuses are pathetic. So their child "needed" to get into USC, UCLA, Yale, Georgetown, etc. Kids who cannot legitimately get into those schools find other 4 year colleges or a community college.

Parents cry desperate times in college admissions scandal. A judge opts for prison anyway.

Gregory and Marcia Abbott told the judge they paid $125,000 to have someone fix their daughter's college entrance exams because she was suffering from chronic Lyme disease and needed a boost.

Robert Flaxman's attorney said he was desperate to help a troubled daughter remain in recovery — so he paid to cheat in hopes of getting her into a college where she would be safe.

Marjorie Klapper's lawyer said she was trying to help her epileptic son who'd suffered a brutal physical assault feel like a "regular" student.

The wealthy parents are among 10 sentenced in the last two months in the nation's college admissions scandal. Each insisted they didn't cheat for the status symbol of their child getting into an elite college or university. Instead they were driven by a feeling people endure regardless of economic class — desperation.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

AUSA Justin O’Connell says Buckingham is more culpable because she came up with the scheme to have someone take the ACT for her son. “Unlike other defendants, this defendant orchestrated a complete fraud, none of her son’s score was his own and that’s how she planned it."

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Buckingham's lawyer, Michael Proctor, says prison is not necessary in this case. He says he didn't like the government's "take it or leave it" plea deal, but Buckingham wanted to take responsibility. "She did make an extremely bad decision, a selfish decision."

Last edited:
BREAKING: Federal Judge Indira Talwani says she plans to sentence marketing executive/author Jane Buckingham to 3 weeks in prison, a $40,000 fine, one year of supervised release and no added community service. Buckingham paid Singer $50K to have someone take the ACT for her son.

Joey Garrison on Twitter

Buckingham is required to report to prison on December 3, 2019.

Last edited:
BREAKING: Federal Judge Indira Talwani says she plans to sentence marketing executive/author Jane Buckingham to 3 weeks in prison, a $40,000 fine, one year of supervised release and no added community service. Buckingham paid Singer $50K to have someone take the ACT for her son.

Joey Garrison on Twitter

Buckingham is required to report to prison on December 3, 2019.

RBBM

She'll be home for Christmas!

Lori Loughlin and Her Husband Reportedly Feel Like “David versus Goliath”

hahaha, quoted from above:

“They feel like this is David versus Goliath. How do you go up against the federal government, when the government has decided to make an example out of you? How can you possibly move forward from this?” a source close to Loughlin told People. “This stress is about to break them.”

But I guess I’m still interested in who this anonymous source is, the one who spouts paragraphs of comments bimonthly, and sometimes biweekly, that reveal the state of Loughlin’s familial life, inner thoughts, general feelings, legal strategy to People and other outlets. Is it her yoga guru? Her attorney? Her mother? Her daughter? Her? A fly on the wall? Her healthy gut bacteria? Felicity Huffman? Siri? Her publicist?

Whoever it is should reveal themselves or itself and come collect their book-deal advance. They’ve already written the first 100 pages, at least, and that’s half the battle.

Oh, I feel pretty sure it is her publicist; if not some specifically assigned leaker in her lawyer's office. It seems very unlikely that, (1) if it were a person telling tales out of school, that even LL couldn't have figured out who said person was by now, and thus stop confiding in them which means they'd have no access; (2), from what I understand of Hollywood, it's almost always publicists in this type of situation. I allow that it's possible it's her lawyer's office because these comments do have a whiff of "trying out potential defense arguments and then seeing how the readers of InTouch react to them in the comments"; but my money is on a hired publicist or even LL herself (remember the former felon made good, who said she called him up all "Asking for a friend", after which he said "Lori, I know it's you on the other end"?).

Instead of realizing they were giving her a chance to plead guilty and escape additional charges, she thinks she’s a scapegoat. And still appears to not be acknowledging what she did was a crime. Is this delusional thinking? Ignoring her legal teams advice? Living in LaLa Land? Or all of the above? SMH
Lori Loughlin Is ‘Terrified’ About New Charges: ‘This Stress Is About to Break Them,’ Source Says
....feels like she’s a scapegoat and a princess IMO

Lori Loughlin's husband emailed accountant, 'I had to work the system,' new indictment alleges

Mossimo Giannulli made the comment in an April 2017 email in which he forwarded a $200,000 invoice passed along to them by Rick Singer. The invoice notified them that their "private contribution of $200,000" was now due.

It would be the second installment toward $500,000 that Loughlin and Giannulli paid to get their two daughters admitted into USC as fake crew recruits. Months earlier, the couple paid $50,000 to Donna Heinel, a senior associate athletic director at USC.

"Good news my daughter... is in (U)SC ... bad is I had to work the system," Giannulli wrote to his accountant.

In addition, there is an August 2016 email from Singer to Giannulli and Loughlin in which Singer asked for their older daughter's transcript and test scores and told them that he needed them “very soon while I create a coxswain portfolio for her.”

“It would probably help to get a picture of her on an ERG in workout clothes like a real athlete”. "Fantastic," Giannulli replied back. "Will get all." In September 2016, Giannulli sent Singer an email attaching a photograph of his older daughter on an ergometer.

After their older daughter was accepted into USC, Giannulli emailed Singer and copied Loughlin: "I want to thank you again for your great work with (our older daughter), she is very excited and both Lori and I are very appreciative of your efforts and end result!"

Singer responded by asking if there was a "similar need anywhere so we do not lose a spot" for their younger daughter. Loughlin replied: "Yes USC for (our younger daughter)!"

Over the next year, prosecutors have alleged Loughlin and Giannulli paid for the same recruitment scheme for their younger daughter to get into USC.

Lori Loughlin’s Husband Mossimo Giannulli Allegedly Talked About ‘Working The System’ To Get Daughters Into USC

Lori Loughlin's Husband Allegedly Said He Had to 'Work the System' to Get Daughter Into USC

Lori Loughlin's husband Mossimo Giannulli said he had to 'work the system' to get daughters into USC

Last edited:
Lori Loughlin's husband emailed accountant, 'I had to work the system,' new indictment alleges

Mossimo Giannulli made the comment in an April 2017 email in which he forwarded a $200,000 invoice passed along to them by Rick Singer. The invoice notified them that their "private contribution of $200,000" was now due.

It would be the second installment toward $500,000 that Loughlin and Giannulli paid to get their two daughters admitted into USC as fake crew recruits. Months earlier, the couple paid $50,000 to Donna Heinel, a senior associate athletic director at USC.

"Good news my daughter... is in (U)SC ... bad is I had to work the system," Giannulli wrote to his accountant.

In addition, there is an August 2016 email from Singer to Giannulli and Loughlin in which Singer asked for their older daughter's transcript and test scores and told them that he needed them “very soon while I create a coxswain portfolio for her.”

“It would probably help to get a picture of her on an ERG in workout clothes like a real athlete”. "Fantastic," Giannulli replied back. "Will get all." In September 2016, Giannulli sent Singer an email attaching a photograph of his older daughter on an ergometer.

After their older daughter was accepted into USC, Giannulli emailed Singer and copied Loughlin: "I want to thank you again for your great work with (our older daughter), she is very excited and both Lori and I are very appreciative of your efforts and end result!"

Singer responded by asking if there was a "similar need anywhere so we do not lose a spot" for their younger daughter. Loughlin replied: "Yes USC for (our younger daughter)!"

Over the next year, prosecutors have alleged Loughlin and Giannulli paid for the same recruitment scheme for their younger daughter to get into USC.

Lori Loughlin’s Husband Mossimo Giannulli Allegedly Talked About ‘Working The System’ To Get Daughters Into USC

Lori Loughlin's Husband Allegedly Said He Had to 'Work the System' to Get Daughter Into USC

Lori Loughlin's husband Mossimo Giannulli said he had to 'work the system' to get daughters into USC
Wow, can’t believe they didn’t take that plea deal.

Wow, can’t believe they didn’t take that plea deal.

“It would probably help to get a picture of her on an ERG in workout clothes like a real athlete”. "Fantastic," Giannulli replied back. "Will get all." In September 2016, Giannulli sent Singer an email attaching a photograph of his older daughter on an ergometer

What you put out into the world will always come back for you

Latest charge against Lori Loughlin likely a strategy to induce plea talks

Analysis: By now, the parents and defendants who initially planned to go to trial may be rethinking their decisions as the potential sentences increase.

...This new indictment is likely a strategy to raise the stakes for the remaining defendants and induce more guilty pleas and cooperation. By now, the parents and defendants who initially planned to go to trial may be rethinking their decisions as the potential sentences increase, and their bank accounts decrease. Statistically, most federal defendants end up pleading guilty instead of going to trial. Unfortunately, for most federal defendants, the numbers are against them...

Latest charge against Lori Loughlin likely a strategy to induce plea talks

Analysis: By now, the parents and defendants who initially planned to go to trial may be rethinking their decisions as the potential sentences increase.

...This new indictment is likely a strategy to raise the stakes for the remaining defendants and induce more guilty pleas and cooperation. By now, the parents and defendants who initially planned to go to trial may be rethinking their decisions as the potential sentences increase, and their bank accounts decrease. Statistically, most federal defendants end up pleading guilty instead of going to trial. Unfortunately, for most federal defendants, the numbers are against them...
They’ve really gotten themselves into one great big mess, haven’t they.
More concerning this law.
Even though the defendants are not actually charged with the underlying crime, it is important to understand what they are alleged to have conspired to do. Federal program bribery punishes anyone who "corruptly gives…anything of value to any person, with intent to influence… an agent of an organization…in connection with any…transaction…involving anything of value of $5,000 or more."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member