GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Modine Plays College Admission Scandal Mastermind in 'Operation Varsity Blues' Trailer

The film pairs narrative reenactments of wiretapped phone calls with traditional documentary elements.

Netflix has released a new trailer for its film on the 2019 college admission scandal, Operation Varsity Blues, set to premiere March 17th.

The film is primarily centered around narrative reenactments of the FBI’s wiretapped phone calls between Rick Singer and the wealthy parents who were willing to do whatever it took to get their kids into elite colleges.

Matthew Modine stars as Singer, and the new trailer finds him peddling his “side door” admission tactics, which included everything from fudging SAT and ACT exam results to completely making up athletic accomplishments.

The trailer teases an array of interviews with people who delve into the intricacies of Singer’s scheme, as well as its cultural significance.

Matthew Modine Plays College Admission Scandal Mastermind in 'Operation Varsity Blues' Trailer

The film pairs narrative reenactments of wiretapped phone calls with traditional documentary elements.

Netflix has released a new trailer for its film on the 2019 college admission scandal, Operation Varsity Blues, set to premiere March 17th.

The film is primarily centered around narrative reenactments of the FBI’s wiretapped phone calls between Rick Singer and the wealthy parents who were willing to do whatever it took to get their kids into elite colleges.

Matthew Modine stars as Singer, and the new trailer finds him peddling his “side door” admission tactics, which included everything from fudging SAT and ACT exam results to completely making up athletic accomplishments.

The trailer teases an array of interviews with people who delve into the intricacies of Singer’s scheme, as well as its cultural significance.
From the trailer embedded in your link:
“Brought to you by the Executive Producers of Tiger King... Privilege Gone Wild”...

I really appreciate that this has not “gone away”, and will not “go away”. They will each have to live with the public consequences of their choices before, during & after the fraud. Docudrama looks like it’s done well! Definitely plan to watch March 17!

I hope she did more than just the photo op. Charity work could do her a world of good.

She signs in and out and the charity keeps track of her hours. When she is done with her community service the charity signs off on all the hours confirming she completed them. Then she turns them in to her probation officer who then submits it to the judge confirming she has completed this part of her sentence.

I should clarify, this is how it's done where I live when sentenced for State crimes.

Lori is in a different State under the Federal Bureau Of Prisons.

Point is, she has to have all her community service hours documented by the charity and I'm sure the charity director signs off on them so she has to do more than an obvious photo shoot.

Note that these are the first photos of her - correct me if I'm wrong - since getting out.

Why are there photos of her around town before going to prison but none after getting out of prison until this community service photo opportunity?

I think she had a friend tip off the tabloids, easy to do. Note her being outside walking alone on a sidewalk where photographers can get a good view of just her! It's not easy to catch someone outside when 90% of the time your inside. Too much of a coincidence. And the hat makes it real clear she is delivering food.

Doing the work helping others is not enough, there has to be something in it for her, right? Or am I being too harsh?

She signs in and out and the charity keeps track of her hours. When she is done with her community service the charity signs off on all the hours confirming she completed them. Then she turns them in to her probation officer who then submits it to the judge confirming she has completed this part of her sentence.

I should clarify, this is how it's done where I live when sentenced for State crimes.

Lori is in a different State under the Federal Bureau Of Prisons.

Point is, she has to have all her community service hours documented by the charity and I'm sure the charity director signs off on them so she has to do more than an obvious photo shoot.

Note that these are the first photos of her - correct me if I'm wrong - since getting out.

Why are there photos of her around town before going to prison but none after getting out of prison until this community service photo opportunity?

I think she had a friend tip off the tabloids, easy to do. Note her being outside walking alone on a sidewalk where photographers can get a good view of just her! It's not easy to catch someone outside when 90% of the time your inside. Too much of a coincidence. And the hat makes it real clear she is delivering food.

Doing the work helping others is not enough, there has to be something in it for her, right? Or am I being too harsh?

I don’t think you are being too harsh. I automatically assumed she called whoever took her pics. I think she’s cataclysmically tone deaf.

JUST CAME OUT - I'M WATCHING IT ON NETFLIX

Operation Varsity Blues, which debuts Wednesday on the streaming service, chronicles the FBI’s investigation into the 2019 scam that snuck the kids of the rich and famous into top U.S. universities.

Lori Loughlin ‘Concerned’ About Netflix Documentary on College Admissions Scandal

Loughlin is “concerned” about the new Netflix documentary, a source told Entertainment Tonight, adding that “she wants nothing more than for time to pass so people won’t be talking about the college scandal anymore.”

Lori sounds ignorant or delusional or both.

Amy and Gregory COLBURN, I-Hsin “Joey” CHEN, Marci PALATELLA, John WILSON, Elisabeth KIMMEL, Homayoun ZADEH and Gamal ABDELAZIZ are scheduled for trial September 13.

Gordon ERNST, Donna Heinel, Jovan VAVIC and William FERGUSON are a scheduled for trial November 16.

Investigations of College Admissions and Testing Bribery Scheme

Sentencing hearings:

Jorge SALCEDO on March 19

Steven MASERA on April 9

Mark RIDDELL on April 15

Laura JANKE on April 16

Mark HAUSER on May 5

William McGLASHAN on May 12

Igor DVORSKIY on May 14

Robert REPELLA on June 16

Bruce and Davina ISACKSON on July 15

Ali KHOSROSHAHIN on August 5

Last edited:
Former UCLA Soccer Coach Sentenced in College Admissions Case

Jorge Salcedo admitted to receiving $200,000 in bribes to facilitate the admission of two students to the University of California at Los Angeles

A former men’s soccer coach at the University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), Jorge Salcedo, 48, of Dana Point, Calif., was sentenced to eight months in prison, one year of supervised release and forfeiture in the amount of $200,000.

In January 2021, Salcedo agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery.

Former UCLA Soccer Coach Sentenced in College Admissions Case

Jorge Salcedo admitted to receiving $200,000 in bribes to facilitate the admission of two students to the University of California at Los Angeles

A former men’s soccer coach at the University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), Jorge Salcedo, 48, of Dana Point, Calif., was sentenced to eight months in prison, one year of supervised release and forfeiture in the amount of $200,000.

In January 2021, Salcedo agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery.

Why 8 months? Bad plea deal.

Did anyone watch the Netflix documentary? I felt kind of bad for the sailing coach. He was the only one who didn't profit from these bribes. The money Singer paid went directly into the sailing program at Stanford. It sounded like the coach was under pressure to constantly fundraise for a low visibility program that didn't bring the school in any money. He was just a coach at heart and hated that aspect. He cared about the program and the students in it and did it to benefit them. He didn't get a cent himself, which I hadn't really realized. And none of the students "recruited" ended up at Stanford, so no other actual deserving students lost out on a spot. Doesn't make it right of course, but even the judge wrote that he was the least culpable of any of the defendants. I also think the athletic director and Stanford threw him under the bus. Stanford wrote a victim impact statement - yet profited $770,000 as the victim of this crime...

Former Stanford Coach Will Not Serve Prison Time For Admissions Scandal

Get to Know the 'Good Guy' of the College Admissions Scandal, John Vandemoer

Really interesting read I hadn't read before on Donna Heinel, the USC administrator and how she was also running a private business on the side, using the school's resources and staff and space without ever informing them of the relationship and that she was making a profit on it.

Indicted USC Administrator Involved Colleagues In Her Private Dealings

Olivia Jade slammed for claiming she was 'shamed' for college admissions scandal - Daily Times

Whether it was planned or not, the TikTok was posted just days after Netflix released a documentary about the scandal, called Operation Varsity Blues.

Olivia Jade:

“I think we’re all very quick to put people down. And I just want people to remember, like, if your feelings are hurting, or they’re valid to you, [then] they’re valid.” “It doesn’t matter if somebody’s going through worse. You’re allowed to have a hard time in this world. But that doesn’t take away from somebody else, and that shouldn’t take away from you.”

Olivia-Jade-slammed-for-claiming-she-was-shamed-for-college-admissions-scandal.jpg

Olivia Jade Giannulli has found herself in hot water once again for saying she was “publicly shamed” following her family’s involvement in the 2019 college admissions scandal.

“Obviously your sense of reality is not there,” one user commented. “Your privilege is showing.”

“The kids who didn’t get into the college of their dreams, the one they’ve worked for YEARS to get into, are drowning too,” another pointed out.

“Sorry to break it to you but … you did something illegal and bad when you were already ahead in life,” another wrote. “You deserve the criticism.”

Last edited:
Lori Loughlin's husband, Mossimo Giannulli, released from California prison (nbcnews.com)

The clothing designer had been held in a federal lockup for his role in the college admissions bribery scheme.

LOS ANGELES — Fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli has been released from a California prison and is under community confinement following his imprisonment for his role in a college admissions bribery scheme, the Federal Bureau of Prisons said Saturday.

Giannulli, 57, is married to former “Full House” star Lori Loughlin. They pleaded guilty last year to paying half a million dollars to get their two daughters into the University of Southern California. Loughlin was released from a prison in Dublin in December after spending two months behind bars.

The two were among the most high-profile parents charged in the scheme, which authorities say involved hefty bribes to get undeserving teens into schools with rigged test scores or bogus athletic credentials...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth