NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

I imagined it like using a lock with an alarm on the two zippers so they couldn't be pulled apart to unzip. Not sure if this was discussed earlier on.
Who would manufacture such a thing? I can't think of any legitimate purpose for a sleeping bag with external zip closures that lock, with an alarm? Torture, perhaps?

He was wearing a sweatshirt within a mummy bag within a bivy?? I can’t imagine how sweltering and humid that must have been.

I wonder if that’s what the thrashing was about . . . from trying to remove his clothing. From my understanding, people with ADHD can also experience sensory sensitivity/overload (his dad stated he often slept nude because clothing tags irritated him). The feeling of being constricted and hot could have been unbearable for him.

He might’ve been able to push his pants down using his feet, but I imagine it would be harder to pull a hoodie up over your head in such a confined space.

He ended up turned around the wrong way, and there wasn’t enough space or oxygen in the bottom of that coffin sack to breathe.

I am hoping that Clark lost consciousness very, very quickly.

He ended up turned around the wrong way, and there wasn’t enough space or oxygen in the bottom of that coffin sack to breathe.

I am hoping that Clark lost consciousness very, very quickly.

Coffin :(

Exactly!

I would go MAD if put into this thing.

Being constricted and not able to breathe deeply is something I can't even contemplate.

Children have rights!

"What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?​

In 1989 something incredible happened.

Against the backdrop of a changing world order world leaders came together and made a historic commitment to the world’s children.

They made a promise to every child to protect and fulfil their rights, by adopting an international legal framework

the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Contained in this treaty is a profound idea:

that children are not just objects who belong to their parents
and for whom decisions are made,
or adults in training.

Rather,
they are human beings and individuals with their own rights.

The Convention says childhood is separate from adulthood,
and lasts until 18;

it is a special, protected time,
in which children must be allowed to grow, learn, play, develop and flourish with dignity.

The Convention went on to become the most widely ratified human rights treaty in history and has helped transform children’s lives."

1719615551698.png

Convention on the Rights of the Child

Last edited:
Thanks! From your link:

“He states that at [10 p.m.], the decedent was restless and mumbling in his sleep. He states the decedent was talking and restless in his sleep around [11 p.m.] as well, so they took him out of [his] sleeping bag. He falls asleep and is awakened to go back into [the] sleeping arrangement. The counselor states that at midnight, the decedent was restless and mumbling in his sleep, which was accompanied by ‘thrashing about’ according to his counselor, however, there is no known Seizure history. He states that subsided and that was the last event.
+++++++++
Lots to read in the article. I see that the “panic attack” earlier reported now reads as restless, mumbling and thrashing.

WTH after the prior restlessness the counselor took him out of the sleeping bag which apparently helped the kid fall asleep. So counselor then wakes him to put him back in, causing another incident.

What is wrong with these people?

Y’all, the article is definitely worth reading as it contains a lot of information but be warned some of it could affect sensitive readers.
MOO
(snip and bold) “He states that at [10 p.m.], the decedent was restless and mumbling in his sleep. He states the decedent was talking and restless in his sleep around [11 p.m.] as well, so they took him out of [his] sleeping bag. He falls asleep and is awakened to go back into [the] sleeping arrangement. The counselor states that at midnight, the decedent was restless and mumbling in his sleep, which was accompanied by ‘thrashing about’ according to his counselor, however, there is no known Seizure history. He states that subsided and that was the last event.

IMO, he was "thrashing about" because he was being smothered.

Yes, the camp itself doesn't arrange or offer this service, although I'm sure they can conveniently point people in the right direction, but the parents arrange and hire the goons to kidnap their vulnerable children from their beds in the middle of the night.

Imagine willingly doing that to your child, imagine the poor child's horror at being subjected to that whilst they are begging you to help them, to make it stop, and you, their safe person, the ones who are supposed to protect them and keep them safe, you stand aside and let it happen.

Imagine the utter devastation of a child who already feels wrong, already feels like they are unlovable, knows they are different but have no idea how to make themselves right for you, and they can't because it's brain chemistry not willful bad behaviour, as they realise that you did this to them, that not only did you not love them enough to stop someone forcefully taking them away whilst they begged you to help them, but it was actually you who instigated it.

And Imagine what poor, lost Clark who only wanted to be loved and tried to hard to fit your expectations, felt as he took his last breath in that bivy, thinking nobody loved him, that he wasn't good enough for his own parents to want to keep him safe at home where he belonged.

I agree with @Betty P. Clark took his last breath with those feelings in his heart, his parents absolutely should feel it in theirs until their last.

JMO
Ab.so.lute.ly they should feel it, but I'm doubtful.
I do hope that the parents know or will know what happened to him that horrible night. He was there at Trails, alive, less than 24 hours. And the way that he was taken from his home had to be an absolute nightmare for him, as well.
I do wonder if the parents will put any pressure on the Camp/Camp's owners and/or affiliates , etc., for more info on what really happened that night.
I am thinking that they will not seek a suit or damages or whatever. They may just let it all go. Hoping they will do whatever can be done, but not sure that they would.
So glad that Clark is now finally at peace.

This makes me upset. If he had a growth hormone deficiency it could have affected him mentally as well. This child needed real medical physically & mentally. Not this place.

100%. He could have had some genetic condition manifesting as behavioral issue, as they are now finding more frequently. This kid needed proper diagnosis and normal treatment.

I am not convinced that his suffocation was passive. Counselors forcibly keeping him in the bag? Someone holding his legs down if he was thrashing? Is there hazing at these camps?

I am thinking that they will not seek a suit or damages or whatever. They may just let it all go

I think both authorities and his parents couldn't take action until the autopsy report was finalized.
Now we have to wait and see if anything happens.

I believe justice would require criminal charges, but maybe they are trying to build a case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back