NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm beside myself wanting to know more. I hope it's true we get the search warrant next week. This is one of those cold cases that haunts you.
I've been obsessively checking this thread hoping for more updates. Her case has been on the FBI website as long as I can remember and it's starting to feel like we might be close to justice and closure. Does anyone know if they gave a date for the warrants to be unsealed? Or was it just the "next week" statement from the lawyer?

I keep wondering about who this little girl is and why Asha had her picture. I wonder if she is another victim of whoever harmed Asha. I wonder if the shirt belonged to the girl in the picture and was put in Asha's backpack either by mistake or as a taunt to whomever evidentially found the backpack. Whoever buried the backpack took care to protect it from the elements by enclosing it in plastic. Maybe, the other little girl was never reported as missing. I hope the shirt is being tested for contact DNA.

I keep wondering about who this little girl is and why Asha had her picture. I wonder if she is another victim of whoever harmed Asha. I wonder if the shirt belonged to the girl in the picture and was put in Asha's backpack either by mistake or as a taunt to whomever evidentially found the backpack. Whoever buried the backpack took care to protect it from the elements by enclosing it in plastic. Maybe, the other little girl was never reported as missing. I hope the shirt is being tested for contact DNA.
Asha did not have her picture. The picture was found in the same shed where a few of Asha's things were found (hair barette). That shed had been used by an upholstery business to store furniture. There has never been a confirmed link between Asha and the girl's photo, only that of coincidence of location in the shed and it being found in the shed while police searched in investigation of Asha's barette and pencil being found there. That's why the attempts during all these years to identify the girl - to either rule in or rule out an actual connection. It's entirely possible the school photo simply fell out from between a counch cushion of a piece they had taken into the business for example.

Asha did not have her picture. The picture was found in the same shed where a few of Asha's things were found (hair barette). That shed had been used by an upholstery business to store furniture. There has never been a confirmed link between Asha and the girl's photo, only that of coincidence of location in the shed and it being found in the shed while police searched in investigation of Asha's barette and pencil being found there. That's why the attempts during all these years to identify the girl - to either rule in or rule out an actual connection. It's entirely possible the school photo simply fell out from between a counch cushion of a piece they had taken into the business for example.
My point is still valid. The picture was found in a location with items belonging to Asha. Apparently, investigators found it important as they shared it in relation to Asha's case and were trying to identify her. It is still possible that Asha wasn't the perps only victim. I'd like to know if LE has tried to get touch DNA from the picture or the shirt.

My point is still valid. The picture was found in a location with items belonging to Asha. Apparently, investigators found it important as they shared it in relation to Asha's case and were trying to identify her. It is still possible that Asha wasn't the perps only victim. I'd like to know if LE has tried to get touch DNA from the picture or the shirt.
Absolutely LE is still trying to identify this girl to determine if there is a connection or link to the crime, but it's very important to note that Asha did not have her photo. There may be a link, but there is certinly no direct link to Asha at this point in time.

“According to the affidavit, investigators used DNA evidence from a hair found on a shirt that belonged to Degree, which was found in a trash bag along with other items in Burke County in 2001.

The DNA was traced to one of the Dedmon’s daughters, who was 13 at the time Degree disappeared. DNA matching a second person—who has ties to the Dedmon family—was also located in the evidence…”

“According to the affidavit, investigators used DNA evidence from a hair found on a shirt that belonged to Degree, which was found in a trash bag along with other items in Burke County in 2001.

The DNA was traced to one of the Dedmon’s daughters, who was 13 at the time Degree disappeared. DNA matching a second person—who has ties to the Dedmon family—was also located in the evidence…”
They searched 8 locations, all of which have ties to Roy and Connie. They are listed as suspects multiple times.

Its believed they played a role in concealing the crime

Last edited:

“The search warrants’ probable cause statement indicates that authorities believe 9-year-old Asha Degree was the victim of a homicide — and there is a belief that someone concealed her body after her death. Search warrants indicate several items were seized from the home, including a green vehicle. The search warrants also indicate genealogical data was used to track down DNA to two possible people, one was a man named Russell Underhill.”

What part?
From the article,

There were two other Dedmon sisters who were ages 15 and 16 years old in February 2000.

Investigators now believe Degree is a “victim of homicide, with her body concealed,” authorities wrote in the search warrant application. Because of the Dedmon sisters’ ages at that time, investigators believe “adult assistance” from their father, Roy Dedmon, and their mother, Connie Dedmon, “would have been necessary in the execution and/or concealment of the crime.”

From the article,

There were two other Dedmon sisters who were ages 15 and 16 years old in February 2000.

Investigators now believe Degree is a “victim of homicide, with her body concealed,” authorities wrote in the search warrant application. Because of the Dedmon sisters’ ages at that time, investigators believe “adult assistance” from their father, Roy Dedmon, and their mother, Connie Dedmon, “would have been necessary in the execution and/or concealment of the crime.”
Oh no, my heart aches thinking that the two young girls could be involved in this presumed crime. I am so glad that LE is still working this case, Asha has been on my mind. Justice for Asha and her family

Russell Underhill died in 2004. This article suggests that Roy & Connie's dauģhters may be involved.
The way this is worded makes it sound like maybe the older daughter hit her with that car and the family covered it up.

From the article,

Oh my, this makes me wonder if one of them was driving and did accidently hit one of the girls and then the parents helped cover it up. I am not accusing anyone, but just suggesting a scenario that might make sense for a a teenager girl to harm a child and then the parents help clean it up. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back