NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are two cases that remind me of Asha's.

Two a lesser degree, Skylar Neese. Her two friends lured her out of her house and killed her, and she left through her window.

The other case is Nicole Levell. She was 13, and left her house through her window as well. This took place in Virginia and she was found in North Carolina. She was lured out by a man she met on a well known grooming app, and had met in person before. The man, along with a woman, co-conspired to kill Nicole after they decided she was a liability. One interesting thing of note is that Nicole was specifically asked to bring a backpack, similar to how Asha left with a backpack.

Nicole's case had a lot of similarities to Skylar's, as they were both lured out to people who had cars waiting and running, were both killed and left in the cold, and the perps were more or less both caught because of poorly disposed of cleaning supplies.

Nicole was from Virginia but was found in NC. Skylar was from West Virginia but was found in PA.

Using this venn diagram based on these two cases, I wonder what the odds are that Asha's remains are in another state, she was lured out of the house via internet communications, she knew her abducters, and there was two or more people involved?
The groomers or kidnappers in a lot of cases probably know to tell them to take a bookbag so that when police come to ask parents then that may lead them to believe the child has willingly ran away.

Russell Underhill resided in two care homes operated by the Dedmons. Does anyone know what type of disability this poor guy had ? He was only 54 when he died. On his obituary it listed accident/ not work related.

I'm curious if short with the dna was in back pack or out of it? This would explain night gown in her bag. The sisters 16/17, 15 and 13. They could have all warn that nightgown at one time or another . I'm not sure about the book . The girl would have bene to old to have checked out such a book. But if they had young relative or youngster they baby sat for and it was left behind in their things. I always had a feeling this stuff was from who ever did this and it was just laying around and they accidently packed it in her bag, I wonder if they will polygraph these folks and the girls?

Russell Underhill resided in two care homes operated by the Dedmons. Does anyone know what type of disability this poor guy had ? He was only 54 when he died. On his obituary it listed accident/ not work related.
He was a Vietnam veteran and seemed to have substance use issues - he was only 56 when he passed. Has his autopsy report been posted here yet? He said he thought someone was trying to kill him before he died and he was found with no injuries but blood coming out of his nose.

I am inclined to think that Underhill's DNA was trace DNA

Strange that when the power came on she didn't go check the kids room to see if their lights needed to be turned back off? Also so both the father’s brother and wife were there that night as well?
Idk where ur getting ur info from. Asha’s dad checked on them at 2:30 am and Asha was still sleeping. Her brother literally heard her get up and move around their bedroom before she left the house. We are not doing this again, Asha’s family doesn’t know where she is and they never have. There is now irrefutable proof that someone not related to Asha’s family somehow had contact with her when she disappeared because well DNA doesn’t lie.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This is why i’m thinking whatever happened was probably more sinister than a git & run followed by a cover up by the parents. Who’s the say the girls or one of the parents didn’t lure Asha into the car or forcibly abduct her? We have no idea where the front damage of the car came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Because they thought they could get away with it with absolutely no repercussions. Obviously as racists, the parents had a distorted view of the world and probably believed that themselves and their children shouldn't be accountable for their actions. Plus in general, hit and runs are frequently unsolved, so it's the type of situation where a lot of people make the bad judgment to try and avoid consequences.

Is it just me, or is it super weird this family kept all this evidence for 24 years, including the distinct car: Investigators Now Believe Asha Degree Was Killed & Her Body Was Hidden - WCCB Charlotte's CW
"Investigators also took DNA cheek swabs from Roy and Connie Dedmon last week. One of the properties investigators searched is a nursing home owned by Roy and Connie Dedmon. There, they seized documents related to Russell Underhill’s care, a photo, 2 earrings and a gray Jaguar."

I wonder what the "gray Jaguar" has to do with this case?

"Investigators also took DNA cheek swabs from Roy and Connie Dedmon last week. One of the properties investigators searched is a nursing home owned by Roy and Connie Dedmon. There, they seized documents related to Russell Underhill’s care, a photo, 2 earrings and a gray Jaguar."

I wonder what the "gray Jaguar" has to do with this case?
And two earrings. Do we know if Asha’s ears were pierced?

Maybe that Asha was the victim of a hit and run by the oldest daughter, and the parents helped cover it up.
I don't. I think it is something much more complicated. Also, there has been no information released that indicates Asha was injured or deceased when she entered the car. And we still don't know why she left the house so early in the morning, what time she left, what should have been in her backpack, who checked out the library book, or who the extra items in her backpack belonged to.

Another very important issue is whether the daughter, father, mother, or someone else was driving the green car? Just because it belonged to one person doesn't mean that person was driving it.

I'm, also, wondering if the green car was driven after Asha disappeared or has it been hidden all these years.

<modsnip -quoted post was removed>
I don't think anyone here could say with absolute certainty that the family is wealthy or had influence, but given what we know it's a fair assumption. They own multiple properties and Roy reportedly has 29 cars registered in his name. At different points in time they owned and operated multiple care homes as well as a private school. They were certainly prominent people within the town (especially considering Shelby is a relatively small town)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maym