NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
they just have clear dna from the daughter that was in ashas bag. time for polygraphs.
This is such a good point. Underhills dna was just on the outside of the black bag the bookbag was wrapped in - maybe he was asked to dump it. But there has to be a really good reason the youngest daughters dna was on ashas undershirt.

"Newly-released search warrants offer disturbing details of Asha Degree's final moments -
as the nine-year-old was allegedly 'pulled into' a car before vanishing in 2000."

Sep 18 '24
''Willie Key, Asha Degree's great uncle, spoke with WCNC Charlotte about the case and says he's had unanswered questions for 24 years.
"That stayed with me all the time... Would we ever find out the real truth?" Key said. "Why did it happen?"
Two suspects are listed in the search warrants, Roy Dedmon and Connie Dedmon.
Key says his family has no association with the Dedmons, which is also stated in the search warrants.
"I've been out here all my life and I didn't even know the Dedmons lived there," Key said''
Sep 17, 2024
WCNC Charlotte's Myles Harris breaks down the who's who of the people named in the Asha Degree case search warrants.

This is such a good point. Underhills dna was just on the outside of the black bag the bookbag was wrapped in - maybe he was asked to dump it. But there has to be a really good reason the youngest daughters dna was on ashas undershirt.

Hairs can also be secondary transfer from someone else in a household, similar to the LISK serial killer case. IMO.
The youngest daughter (to be sure) at least shed one strand of hair in that car, right? I think that is most likely how the hair got onto Asha's undershirt.

It would be interesting to know more about the book that was found in Asha's bag that didn't belong to her. Where did the younger daughters go to school?

It seems they have enough property to hide a car for twenty five years. Maybe they thought it was easier to hide any evidence, rather than throw it out and take the chance that it somehow traces back to them? They clearly don’t think like normal people, so who knows what their thought process was
I am beginning to think they were more like hoarders.

I can't imagine any reason to hold onto something like a garbage bag for 24 years.

Either they collected trophies, were hoarders, or both.

JMO I think some confusion is happening here and maybe instead if writing "the family," we could write either "the Dedmon family" or "Asha's family/Degree family."

Or instead of "the parents,"
"Asha's parents" or "Dedmon parents" (since there has been speculation about what the Dedmon teenagers-back-then did or knew).

Here's hoping someone from the Dedmon family will reveal what happened, if they know. Asha's family has suffered so much.

Do we have a sense how much active traffic there was on the road Asha travelled? There were multiple sightings of her. If there had been an accident, wouldn't there have been at least a few witnesses? My opinion only at this point - the perpetrator is an adult male associated with/ in the Dedmon family.

There is a Youtube video from a reporter from sometime in the last ~3 years where the reporter walks the exact route Asha took and shows the visibility during day and night. I'm trying to find it but there's so much activity right now it's buried.

So all these items were sitting in the empty home for 24 years ?

It sounds like regular things that would be in home from that era….
Only thing standing out is the green car that was mentioned.

But that’s a lot of evidence
I hope it turns into something..
<modsnip>
News channel WBTV made these lists of the cops took in the searches

From this property, law enforcement seized a variety of items, including:

• Computers
  • Laptops
  • Several cellphones, including flip phones
  • Cameras
  • Human tooth in a Ziploc bag
  • Smart watch
  • VHS tapes
  • SD card
  • Notebooks
Roy Dedmon also had a DNA sample taken from him while the search was underway.

Roy Dedmon’s home was first searched by a drone in February.

That home is where Roy and Connie Dedmon are believed to have lived with their children when Degree disappeared in 2000.

The following items were seized from the second home:

• Green AMC Rambler
  • .22 caliber rifle
  • Black trash bag
  • Cellphone
  • Documents containing the name “Roy Underhill,” a man also named in the warrants
  • Disposable cameras
  • Film
  • VHS tapes
  • Journals written in by Roy Dedmon’s daughters
  • Carhartt jeans
  • Children’s clothing
  • More documents
Police took the following items from the rest home:

• Documents about Underhill’s case
  • A photo
  • Earrings
  • Gray Jaguar

and course the green car too.

hope they solve the case.

I find it very, highly, EXTREMELY particularly unusual that black trash bags from 24 years ago are being seized as evidence today......

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Youtube video from a reporter from sometime in the last ~3 years where the reporter walks the exact route Asha took and shows the visibility during day and night. I'm trying to find it but there's so much activity right now it's buried.
This one?
Feb 14, 2020 SHELBY
20 years ago today, Asha Degree disappeared...never to be seen or heard from again. Our host, Saran Almond, went to the location where a 9 year old Asha Degree was last reported to be seen, at the approximate time she was reported to have left her home, and along the route she was seen walking according to police...and walked the route. In addition to the dark, imagine what Asha may have felt in the cold, in the rain, unprotected from the elements, during a power outage, walking down a two lane highway in the early morning hours between 2:30 and 4am...alone.

This one?
Feb 14, 2020 SHELBY
20 years ago today, Asha Degree disappeared...never to be seen or heard from again. Our host, Saran Almond, went to the location where a 9 year old Asha Degree was last reported to be seen, at the approximate time she was reported to have left her home, and along the route she was seen walking according to police...and walked the route. In addition to the dark, imagine what Asha may have felt in the cold, in the rain, unprotected from the elements, during a power outage, walking down a two lane highway in the early morning hours between 2:30 and 4am...alone.
Yes! Thank you so much! I swear there was a daytime portion but perhaps that was a podcaster.

I am beginning to think they were more like hoarders.

I can't imagine any reason to hold onto something like a garbage bag for 24 years.

Either they collected trophies, were hoarders, or both.
I read that Roy is a hoarder. Also the trash bags people are talking about are the bags the backpack was buried in.
ETA nope I’m wrong a trash bag from the property was taken as evidence.

I find it very, highly, EXTREMELY particularly unusual that black trash bags from 24 years ago are being seized as evidence today......
My guess would be that the trash bags are newer, the contents possibly 24 years old. That or they want dna from something inside? Or more of a longshot, the trash bag was stored in the vehicle previously. I find a 24yo trash bag far fetched too, but panic disposal of evidence might not be.

Moo

My guess would be that the trash bags are newer, the contents possibly 24 years old. That or they want dna from something inside? Or more of a longshot, the trash bag was stored in the vehicle previously. I find a 24yo trash bag far fetched too, but panic disposal of evidence might not be.

Moo
I do wonder what the context of it all is.

Was this just a storage unit? A small part in a house? A very large farmhouse type place where this could all be basically shoved into the corner and forgotten about?

Also, what other context is there? Was this building or place often visited or maintained? It was this a perfect place for a less responsible “set it and forget it” type of criminal? Possibly someone who knew this place was never visited so it would be perfect to not try very hard and just dump everything in, knowing it was likely never to be seen or visited.

The youngest daughter (to be sure) at least shed one strand of hair in that car, right? I think that is most likely how the hair got onto Asha's undershirt.

It would be interesting to know more about the book that was found in Asha's bag that didn't belong to her. Where did the younger daughters go to school?
Either that or the NKOTB nightshirt was actually hers at some point.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PragmaticR
Back