NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do wonder how the characters in this story add up.

Could the youngest have been with that other character, (Uphill?) in the car that morning/night and used to lure Asha?

I’m starting to wind her how appropriate the relationship was between the 13 year old and the older man.
I think it's just as likely to be a simple situation (Occam's razor) that they grabbed the nightshirt from their own piles of stuff along with the book to put in the backpack. I haven't worked out the why. Maybe they realized it could link them to the crime. I have some thoughts but I'm not one to start throwing every random thought I have on the board just yet.

I posted the page from the search warrant that said it was his niece a few pages back… Page 19 of this thread.… Can’t figure out how to bring it over here. It said that it was Lora Dedmon who is the daughter of Charles Dedmon, RD‘s brother.

Updated: 14 hours ago
'Documents also said that on Sept. 10, 2024, a woman told investigators that “several years ago she saw Roy Lee Dedmon digging a chest-deep hole on the property of 601 Cherryville Road.” The following day, a detective “observed a 6-8 inch dent in the ground where it was obvious that the ground had been disturbed” at the home.

Following the days-long searches of the Dedmon properties, Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman said no arrests had been made and no remains had been found.'

Updated: 14 hours ago
'Documents also said that on Sept. 10, 2024, a woman told investigators that “several years ago she saw Roy Lee Dedmon digging a chest-deep hole on the property of 601 Cherryville Road.” The following day, a detective “observed a 6-8 inch dent in the ground where it was obvious that the ground had been disturbed” at the home.

Following the days-long searches of the Dedmon properties, Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman said no arrests had been made and no remains had been found.'
Weird, weird, weird weird WEIRRRDDDDD......

How long ago was "several years ago"?

When was "the following day"? Was that the day the tip came in (September 10, 2024)? If it was, how was there obvious disturbances 6-8 inches in the ground after 24 years?

Weird, weird, weird weird WEIRRRDDDDD......

How long ago was "several years ago"?

When was "the following day"? Was that the day the tip came in (September 10, 2024)? If it was, how was there obvious disturbances 6-8 inches in the ground after 24 years?
With GPR, pretty darn obvious. It's one of the ways they find clandestine graves, or old legitimate graves when they're removing remains at old cemetery sites. They can tell if the earth has a different level of compaction to the surrounding area.

But a divot like that is typical of a settling grave. That's why they mound the earth at a cemetery, because they know that if they level it, there will be a depression in short order.

MOO

After 24 years of generic information on this case, I wonder what prompted these warrants and laser focus on the green car? Something must have occurred...but what kicked this case into high gear!?
It was directly related to physical case evidence. DNA on the nightshirt and garbage bags that was found buried some years after the disappearance. Pretty sure they got a hit on genetic genealogy that traced back to this family.

The reason for Asha leaving that night is still puzzling. Is it possible she was sleepwalking and didn't actually have any plans that night to purposely run away? Did she have any history of sleepwalking that we know of?

***please note this is MOO and is not in reference to any news article but is for DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY***

The reason for Asha leaving that night is still puzzling. Is it possible she was sleepwalking and didn't actually have any plans that night to purposely run away? Did she have any history of sleepwalking that we know of?

***please note this is MOO and is not in reference to any news article but is for DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY***

I'm pretty sure the Police stated that she left on her own accord. However I'm pretty sure that it was also said she was either afraid of the dark or storms. So that doesn't make much sense.

I'm pretty sure the Police stated that she left on her own accord. However I'm pretty sure that it was also said she was either afraid of the dark or storms. So that doesn't make much sense.
This has always been what makes me want to bang my head against a wall. it really just does not make sense and I'm worried that even with all of the recent reveals we still may not even get that piece of this puzzle. I pray that we do for her mother's sake.

Last edited:
This has always been what makes me want to bang my head against a wall. it red;ly just does not make sense and I'm worried that even with all of the recent reveals we still may not even get that piece of this puzzle. I pray that we do for her mother's sake.

I hope they find her so that she can be laid to rest

Hi, I admit I haven't delved into this case much, so my opinion is subject to change. Asha's disappearance is one that has always stayed in the back of my mind. Bit of a long post.

I'm not sure what the general consensus here is of why she left that day, but I see a lot of people putting into stock that there had to be a huge catalyst for her to leave with the storm/rain outside. It isn't that uncommon for children/tweens, after getting into an argument or simply because they are bored, to pack some of their things and run off as an "I'll show them"... or all the heightened emotions just make them want to run. Many kids have personal stories in their childhoods having done it or attempted it. I'm not saying her family was mistreating her either, there's no evidence for that, but in her child mind there could have been something that set her off.

Well, leaving while in a rainstorm in the middle of the night, when said child was much afraid of the dark? Certainly less likely, but not impossible by any means. I never really believed that she was lured away or had been communicating with someone who told her to leave. I definitely think she intended to be back, and I also consider the possibility that this wasn't the first time she had run away or snuck out undetected. She may have just always returned home before her parents noticed? Additionally, I imagine a 9-year-old wouldn't be very good with risk assessment and was simply going off her instincts of wanting to bail. But it is certainly mind boggling to read about the environment she must have put herself into that night. If she really did plan to run away, then why during those conditions, and at that time? I'm sure there was a reason, so what exactly was it?

Also about the DNA match, I too think that it could be like a LISK situation where the hair got there through transfer and was important solely because it made the familial connection -- not necessarily pointing towards any involvement on the teen's end. I am hopeful that there will be answers for Asha's family, I never expected to see so much movement in this case... I am happy there may be a resolution soon for everyone who loved her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33
Back