NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The nkotb really hit the height of their popularity near the end of the 80s. Of the 3 sisters, I would say it probably belonged to the oldest. Even at 16 in 2000, that's pushing it.
I agree. This was the height of much cooler, younger boy bands like ncync, backstreet boys and 98 degrees. New kids were very out of style by then, but back then smaller more rural areas might've been more behind the times?

The nkotb really hit the height of their popularity near the end of the 80s. Of the 3 sisters, I would say it probably belonged to the oldest. Even at 16 in 2000, that's pushing it.
You’d be surprised. They still sell out cruises maybe an aunt or somebody liked them and bought the shirt for her

With our something to connect the POI's family and Asha, it seems more like it could be two separate events that culminated in her death.
This is what I’m thinking now too. All these years I thought she must have been groomed by someone and left to go meet them and had a terrible end. But kind of looks like now there’s a possibility that her death wasn’t directly related to her leaving and moreso she was in the wrong place at the wrong time for whatever reason…a “butterfly effect” kind of situation :(

***JMO***

My opinion-purely speculative- is that she was invited to maybe a "sleepover" and told to leave at that time so it would be a secret. You know her age was not that different from that of the youngest daughter of the Dedmonds.

Maybe invited to a sleep over, told someone would pick her up, only to leave her there - MOO

You’d be surprised. They still sell out cruises maybe an aunt or somebody liked them and bought the shirt for her
It's been long established that the shirt, also the book for that matter, didn't belong to Asha. If you go back and look at the nightshirt, it's really the type thing that was sold in big box stores when a group was the hot thing. Of course, it could have always been picked up at a thrift or yard sale but these are unimportant because no one in Asha's family had ever seen the shirt before. With the younger Dedmon girl's DNA being detected on the shirt, IMO the origin of the shirt is pretty clear.

It's been long established that the shirt, also the book for that matter, didn't belong to Asha. If you go back and look at the nightshirt, it's really the type thing that was sold in big box stores when a group was the hot thing. Of course, it could have always been picked up at a thrift or yard sale but these are unimportant because no one in Asha's family had ever seen the shirt before. With the younger Dedmon girl's DNA being detected on the shirt, IMO the origin of the shirt is pretty clear.
I meant one of the the dedmon sisters, not Asha. Sorry about the confusion

it was passed down to younger daughter. only oldest would have been old enough to be into them at that time., possibly the second daughter/. new kids were popular between 1989-1992. the oldest would have been like 9 or ten. course it could have come from friend or second hand store or something.

I almost wonder if there are two separate things going on here, and it's hard to connect them. One is why a little girl would have gone out on a cold, stormy night. Was she lured with the promise of something (could be anything from the promise of a gift or activity from an adult with nefarious motivation to a clandestine meetup with a friend)? Could she have sleepwalked (it's not common but can happen that people leave their homes doing it). Could it be something as simple as she woke up, maybe from a dream, and thought it was much later in the morning than it was and got ready for school, perhaps realizing that it was too early but deciding to walk to school anyway not realizing HOW early, maybe to play on the playground? I know I've woken from a dream thinking, 'oh no, I'm late' and it taking a few minutes to realize that's not the case.

The second is what happened to her after, and while sadly it looks more and more like she was killed not long after she left the house, or at least was taken and died/was killed later. But how that happened, again, could have multiple answers. It could be that someone lured her with malicious intent, either an adult (pedophile?) or another kid (angry about something and wanting to fight or worse). But it also seems like it could have been accidental (hit her with the car and she was seen alive being pulled into it but later passed from injuries? If it was a teen driving, they might have panicked and taken her home instead of to a hospital or to her own house, and once there, she either died or was killed to cover it up). Or, it could have been a crime of opportunity by someone who saw her and took her for the purpose of harming her, a cruel coincidence after she left her house for an unrelated reason.

With our something to connect the POI's family and Asha, it seems more like it could be two separate events that culminated in her death.

MOO, of course, and just thinking out loud to see if anything sounds like it makes sense.
I agree these are two separate issues and to me, the reason why Asha left her house is actually of very little interest, the important thing is why wasn't she returned, alive and well?

If, as the Dedmon's lawyer implies, it was Underhill who was probably responsible, then why didn't the Dedmon's cooperate with police and allow them to tow the car and search the properties, without needing search warrants? Also, we don't know what the daughter whose hair was found on the shirt has said or not said, or how she reacted to the news.

It's also very puzzling how Asha's stuff would be mixed up with at least one other kid's stuff - so, it was somehow dumped out, co-mingled with the other stuff, then -partially- put into the trash bags to dump by the side of the road. I don't have, or expect, an answer to this but it is a very peculiar type of criminal behaviour. Most often, the perp knows exactly what stuff belonged to the victim, and what didn't.

JMO

Last edited:
Please stop posting rumors. You must provide mainstream media links when you post something as fact. Please do not quote posts that have rumors. Just hit the report button and let the mods handle it.
Thank you.
Tricia

Please stop posting rumors. You must provide mainstream media links when you post something as fact. Please do not quote posts that have rumors. Just hit the report button and let the mods handle it.
Thank you.
Tricia
Do you consider replying and quoting a post the same thing?

Do you consider replying and quoting a post the same thing?
Yes, if a post is a rumor please do not reply or quote. It just creates more work for the mods. We have to not only remove the post with the rumor but we have to remove anyone who has replied or quotes the post.
Thanks,
Tricia

If, as the Dedmon's lawyer implies, it was Underhill who was probably responsible, then why didn't the Dedmon's cooperate with police and allow them to tow the car and search the properties, without needing search warrants?

Dedmon's attorney says in the press conference that Dedmon was asked to come in for questioning and while that was happening the search warrants were being executed. Investigators did not give Dedmon the opportunity. Which makes sense in a case like this.
It's also very puzzling how Asha's stuff would be mixed up with at least one other kid's stuff - so, it was somehow dumped out, co-mingled with the other stuff, then -partially- put into the trash bags to dump by the side of the road. I don't have, or expect, an answer to this but it is a very peculiar type of criminal behaviour. Most often, the perp knows exactly what stuff belonged to the victim, and what didn't.

Remember, Asha parents said those items were not hers. But IME kids with strict parents can learn to do things without parent knowing, like trading items.

Roy and Connie Dedmon are the only suspects that are listed on the warrant.

This isn't speculation. This is a fact. Underhill isn't listed as a suspect. Only Roy and Connie Dedmon. I wonder what made them come to that conclusion?

The recently released documents also identified a couple, Roy and Connie Dedmon, as suspects in the case. All of the properties searched were in some way connected to the Dedmons, including two homes owned by Roy Dedmon, as well as an assisted living facility he operated.

repost rbbm
''AnnaLee Dedmon is the youngest daughter of both Roy and Connie Dedmon. AnnaLee was 13 at the time of Asha’s disappearance.
Russell Underhill lived in two assisted living facilities owned and or operated by the Dedmons. That includes around the time of Asha’s disappearance. Underhill listed Roy Dedmon as his emergency contact while at that assisted living facility. he died in 2004.
The warrants state the only link between Russell and Annalee are Roy And Connie Dedmon, who are listed as suspects. So why are they listed as suspects?
The warrants went on to say, “Due to the ages of Roy Dedmon and Connie Dedmon’s three daughters in the year of 2000, investigators believe adult assistance would have been necessary in the execution and/or concealment of the crime.”

repost rbbm
''AnnaLee Dedmon is the youngest daughter of both Roy and Connie Dedmon. AnnaLee was 13 at the time of Asha’s disappearance.
Russell Underhill lived in two assisted living facilities owned and or operated by the Dedmons. That includes around the time of Asha’s disappearance. Underhill listed Roy Dedmon as his emergency contact while at that assisted living facility. he died in 2004.
The warrants state the only link between Russell and Annalee are Roy And Connie Dedmon, who are listed as suspects. So why are they listed as suspects?
The warrants went on to say, “Due to the ages of Roy Dedmon and Connie Dedmon’s three daughters in the year of 2000, investigators believe adult assistance would have been necessary in the execution and/or concealment of the crime.”
I’m reading it the same way you are. I suppose now we just have to wait until they release more statements. IMO it pretty mush says who they think caused her death and who helped cover it up, if you read between the lines.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back