NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone mentioned up thread that Asha kept her keys in her bag. So maybe she didn’t ‘pack’ a bag to take as such, just took it because she needed the key to get out the house. All that can definitely be done while sleep walking.
I once sleepwalked out of a friends house, navigating my way out of a door I was unfamiliar with and even negotiating a set of traffic lights on a busy road. (Scary as hell when I woke up mid-stride)

According to this recent article, Roy Dedmon’s name came up early on in the investigation into Asha’s disappearance.

“Despite the challenges, Steen said initially he had "very strong leads" coming in, including a name that has been the recent focal point of search warrants.

"Roy Dedmon’s name came up in my investigation, but with things going on right now with his family, I will not feel comfortable making any statements on my involvement," he said.”

Charley Project Case File has been updated

“Unconfirmed reports state the bag contained Asha's name on a piece of paper, as well as clothing and a pencil case. DNA found on it was linked it to two people: Annalee Victoria Dedmon Ramirez, who was 13 years old at the time of Asha's disappearance, and a man named Russell Bradley Underhill.

In September 2024, police searched multiple properties owned by a married couple, Roy Lee Dedmon and Connie Elliott Dedmon, including two houses and an assisted living facility they operated. Annalee Dedmon Ramirez is the Dedmons' daughter, and her home was searched also. Underhill lived in at last two facilities operated by the Dedmons at around the time of Asha's disappearance, and he "knew and associated with" Roy. Underhill died in Lincoln County, North Carolina in 2004.

Investigators took away multiple pieces of potential evidence, including an old green AMC Rambler similar to the one Asha may have gotten into, but they emphasized they did not find any human remains. They stated they believe Asha was the victim of a homicide and her body concealed.

According to the search warrants, Roy would regularly send one of his teenage daughters to transport patients to and from the hospital in Morganton, North Carolina and the vehicle used was unreliable. The route to the hospital would have been on Highway 18, where Asha was seen walking. Police theorize the Dedmons' children (Annalee has two sisters who were 15 and 16-17 years old in 2000) were involved and that their parents helped execute and/or cover up the crime.

A number of persons of interest have been investigated in Asha's case over the years, but until 2024 no suspects were named in her case. It remains unsolved.”

Police theorize the Dedmons' children (Annalee has two sisters who were 15 and 16-17 years old in 2000) were involved and that their parents helped execute and/or cover up the crime.
RSBM. But what motive would any of the 13-17yo girls transporting patients in the middle of the night have to pull a child into a car and then do something to cause her to never be seen again? If witnesses saw her being pulled into a vehicle that would mean the easiest answer of an “accident” isn’t what happened. I just don’t get their logic.They’ve gotta have a good reason to search the youngest child’s house, but I don’t really believe she was driving the car that night, or any night in 2000.

Edit: clarified a sentence

All Moo ofc.

RSBM. But what motive would any of the 13-17yo girls transporting patients in the middle of the night have to pull a child into a car and then do something to cause her to never be seen again? If witnesses saw her being pulled into a vehicle that would mean the easiest answer of an “accident” isn’t what happened. I just don’t get their logic.They’ve gotta have a good reason to search the youngest child’s house, but I don’t really believe she was driving the car that night, or any night in 2000.

Edit: clarified a sentence

All Moo ofc.
It’s because in the warrant, it’s been specifically stated that investigators believe the older two Dedmon girls were involved but needed adult assistance to execute/cover up the crime. They searched the youngest daughter’s home since it was her hair they found on Asha’s undershirt.

The oldest daughter was known to transport the patients that Roy and Connie had in the green 1960s era AMC Rambler that was towed in the recent search. She would do these drives as early as 3:00 am or 4:00 am. It’s also been stated the daughter took Highway 18 when she did these late night/early morning drives.

This coupled with the obvious damage to the front of the car has led many to believe the teens might’ve accidentally hit Asha and they pulled her into the car afterwards. I honestly don’t believe this scenario to be true.

One of the only other possible cases where this might’ve happened would be Erica Baker, a nine year old who disappeared in Kettering, Ohio on 02/07/1999. The prime suspect in that case admitted to hitting Erica while she was walking her dog that afternoon. The suspect said that he and the other people in the car panicked and abducted Baker before burying her body in an unknown location. It’s generally believed this was a lie and that something more sinister happened to Erica which is why the suspects haven’t led authorities to her body yet. That’s mainly speculation though and Baker is still considered missing.

There’s also the case of Tammy Maciulis, an eleven year old girl who vanished from Marinette, Wisconsin on 07/10/1987. She was abducted and murdered. Her killer tried to claim he had accidentally ran her over with his car and that he buried her remains to avoid trouble. As it turned out, she died from a blow to the head and her death was ultimately a murder. He had killed Tammy and drove her all the way from Wisconsin to his home state Georgia where he buried her in a shallow grave in Murray County. The suspect led authorities to her remains in exchange for pleading guilty to only the abduction charges in the Maciulis case.

I really doubt a hit and abduction happened in this case imo. I believe it’s possible one of the Dedmon daughters might’ve been an occupant in the car on the night of Asha’s disappearance but who knows.

I’ve wondered if it’s possible that Asha wandered onto the Dedmon property while she was alone and was caught by someone. Maybe she ran away from the property and they pursued her in their car before abducting her? I still wonder about the possibility that someone living in the Dedmon household might’ve heard the BOLO call about Asha on the CB Radio and went out looking for her. Their property was not far from where she was spotted by Blanton when he made that call so someone would’ve likely heard it if they were listening.

Again, this is all speculation and none of it is factual besides the information about the Baker and Maciulis cases. The information I mentioned from the warrant in the Degree case is also fact and it’s the main reason many people jump to hit and run as a leading theory. I just can’t see that happening imo

Last edited:
This coupled with the obvious damage to the front of the car has led many to believe the teens might’ve accidentally hit Asha and they pulled her into the car afterwards. I honestly don’t believe this scenario to be true.
Again, this is all speculation and none of it is factual besides the information about the Baker and Maciulis cases. The information I mentioned from the warrant in the Degree case is also fact and it’s the main reason many people jump to hit and run as a leading theory. I just can’t see that happening imo
Why not? Seems like the simplest explanation to me.

It’s because in the warrant, it’s been specifically stated that investigators believe the older two Dedmon girls were involved but needed adult assistance to execute/cover up the crime.

I have seen that interpretation of the meaning of the search warrant before, but I don't agree that is what it means.

I believe that language has a legal purpose, to explain in a nueutral/legal/universal fashion why evidence pointing to involvement of a child or children, is a still a legally proper basis for police to search and seize evidence from their parents.

IMO, police just write a search warrant to cover all their bases, in case it leads, eventually, to a court case where the relevance/validity of the search warrant could be challenged by some future defense attorney.

In particular, a defense attorney might challenge the search warrant, and try to get it thrown out of court, on the basis that the hair of a then 13 year old girl, was not justification to search her parents homes. So the police/lawyer who wrote up the search warrant threw in the comment that, even IF a child/children was involved, that still justifies the search warrant.

The purpose of the search warrant is to convince a judge it's lawful to seize private property, not to spell out any current theories or 'beliefs' of police. Just because police 'believe' something, is not justification for a warrant. They have to have evidence.

There's no evidence except the hair, the other DNA, and a witness statement about a (potentially quite different model) green car.

How could those thing possibly cause police to go off on a wild theory about what actually happened, involving the daughters?

My understanding of modern police methods is that they avoid developing any theory, since that just leads to tunnel vision and missing/ignoring key evidence because it doesn't match the fixed belief of what happened.

JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova