NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another thought here after looking at those dates for the concerts the only one that stands out to me is the Jan. 5th one I'm thinking maybe the concert tickets would have been a christmas present and that show was the only one right after christmas and the only friday night show. According to google maps Charlotte is only roughly an hour drive from Shelby the Winston-Salem concert would have been a 2 hour drive. I say it fits in as a possible christmas present as the tickets were $25 for that tour and the shirt would have been $12 that would have been an awesome christmas present for a teen. However, I remember when NKOTB was popular and it was mainly teenage girls that were going crazy over them so I don't know how that would fit in the picture.

Just another thought here after looking at those dates for the concerts the only one that stands out to me is the Jan. 5th one I'm thinking maybe the concert tickets would have been a christmas present and that show was the only one right after christmas and the only friday night show. According to google maps Charlotte is only roughly an hour drive from Shelby the Winston-Salem concert would have been a 2 hour drive. I say it fits in as a possible christmas present as the tickets were $25 for that tour and the shirt would have been $12 that would have been an awesome christmas present for a teen. However, I remember when NKOTB was popular and it was mainly teenage girls that were going crazy over them so I don't know how that would fit in the picture.

Yes, and but fast forward 10 years. If Asha went missing in 2000, it was 10 years after that concert tour. I am trying to think of how this intertwines with her story. As we have said upthread, the early 2000's were more the years of NSy*nc and Back*street so this shirt is definitely a compelling piece to this puzzle. I think it says much more about the abductor than it does about Asha.

* Did the abductor attend the concert as a teen? 12-18 puts them being 22-28 years old
* Did the abductor attend the concert as the parent of a teen? Age could be ??
* Did the abductor simply get the shirt second-hand either as hand-me-down or thrift store?
* Why was it found with Asha's things if it did not originate with her? The same could be asked of the library book. These two questions make my head swirl with possibilities.

7/11/20
https://www.newsweek.com/unsolved-mysteries-netflix-season-2-cases-mh370-naya-rivera-1516896
''Unsolved Mysteries viewers across the world have been binging the Netflix show and have come to an end of the six episodes. Though we know that six more episodes are already on their way, true crime fans have been taking to social media and petition sites to discuss the cases that they want to feature on the show, in the hope that they can finally be solved.

5 cases fans want to see on Unsolved Mysteries Season 2
Asha Degree

One Unsolved Mysteries viewer has taken to Change.org to ask for the makers of the show to feature the case of Asha Degree, a 9-year-old who went missing in February 2000. On Valentine's Day, the child took a backpack and disappeared in the middle of the night, for reasons unknown.

In the case, which was featured on the Crime Junkies podcast, her backpack has been found, and the FBI is looking for a green classic car with rust stains in connection with the crime, but the Degrees family is still looking for answers about what happened to their little girl two decades later.''
July 3 2020
LUekgBCZkSDzaeF-800x450-noPad.jpg

Sign the Petition

7/11/20
https://www.newsweek.com/unsolved-mysteries-netflix-season-2-cases-mh370-naya-rivera-1516896
''Unsolved Mysteries viewers across the world have been binging the Netflix show and have come to an end of the six episodes. Though we know that six more episodes are already on their way, true crime fans have been taking to social media and petition sites to discuss the cases that they want to feature on the show, in the hope that they can finally be solved.

5 cases fans want to see on Unsolved Mysteries Season 2
Asha Degree

One Unsolved Mysteries viewer has taken to Change.org to ask for the makers of the show to feature the case of Asha Degree, a 9-year-old who went missing in February 2000. On Valentine's Day, the child took a backpack and disappeared in the middle of the night, for reasons unknown.

In the case, which was featured on the Crime Junkies podcast, her backpack has been found, and the FBI is looking for a green classic car with rust stains in connection with the crime, but the Degrees family is still looking for answers about what happened to their little girl two decades later.''
July 3 2020
LUekgBCZkSDzaeF-800x450-noPad.jpg

Sign the Petition

Oh please let this happen!!

I just binged all the new episodes. It isn't quite the same, but any attention on these unsolved cases is a blessing. Now if I can just get someone to pick up interest in Shondra May.... MS - MS - Shondra May, 17, Forest, 4 Feb 1986

Shondra's case is different in that her body was recovered, but her killer has never been brought to justice and the details leave so much mystery. It is somewhat local for me. I have submitted it to several podcasts. Crickets.

The buried bag is such a weird detail in this case. There's never been any proof that she was abducted by anyone, and no suspect has been identified, therefore why would someone choose to dump the bag? Why not simply keep hold of it or throw it away? Why dump it in a construction site of all places, where it could be unearthed? And why include potentially incriminating items? It feels like someone wanted it to be found but why?
Sadly, sounds a bit like trophy behavior. Could it also be that the UnS planned to plant those items somewhere later as a diversionary tactic, and was "storing them" where they wouldn't likely be discovered. Just a thought.

Sadly, sounds a bit like trophy behavior. Could it also be that the UnS planned to plant those items somewhere later as a diversionary tactic, and was "storing them" where they wouldn't likely be discovered. Just a thought.

I’m surprised more people don’t think along those lines. I honestly thought trophy behaviour the second I read that the bag had been double wrapped and buried.

I can never get a solid idea of this case because so many things confuse me. Trophy behaviour would point to someone who had done this before, and IMHO would lead towards her being groomed.

But seriously, who trusts a nine year old to wake at 3am without an alarm and meet them somewhere either outside (where they chance being seen by her family who live in the house or her extended family who live close by in the same street), or walk to meet them miles away somewhere in a storm.

So then I think maybe she left to do something and was hit by accident and the person driving panicked. But then I think about the bag and if you’ve accidentally killed a child and panicked you destroy the bag. You don’t double wrap it and bury it. You burn it. Rip it apart. Throw it in the river filled with bricks.

Which brings me back to thinking it’s someone who’s done it before and has kept a trophy.

And I just go around in circles but honestly I always thought the bag seemed like trophy keeping.

I’m surprised more people don’t think along those lines. I honestly thought trophy behaviour the second I read that the bag had been double wrapped and buried.

I can never get a solid idea of this case because so many things confuse me. Trophy behaviour would point to someone who had done this before, and IMHO would lead towards her being groomed.

But seriously, who trusts a nine year old to wake at 3am without an alarm and meet them somewhere either outside (where they chance being seen by her family who live in the house or her extended family who live close by in the same street), or walk to meet them miles away somewhere in a storm.

So then I think maybe she left to do something and was hit by accident and the person driving panicked. But then I think about the bag and if you’ve accidentally killed a child and panicked you destroy the bag. You don’t double wrap it and bury it. You burn it. Rip it apart. Throw it in the river filled with bricks.

Which brings me back to thinking it’s someone who’s done it before and has kept a trophy.

And I just go around in circles but honestly I always thought the bag seemed like trophy keeping.

I agree completely. I know they said she didn't talk on the phone, etc., but she had to be expecting someone to be there. A young girl that age isn't going to wander aimlessly through the night. Another thing, when she hid from the passing cars, could it be that she knew which vehicle she was waiting for? I think LE may know more details than we do. IDK, it's a sad case, and I hope there's resolution to it.

I went back to the beginning and started from scratch on this one after writing all of the facts out there is one thing that stands out to me and maybe I'm not the only one to notice it but the number 3 keeps coming up in this case. She took three outfits with her, she took three family pictures and three of the things from her purse or backpack ended up at the storage shed which was roughly 300 feet off the road. All of these things don't seem like coincidence to me but it doesn't seem like something a 9 year old little girl would think of all on her own either. It would seem to me that this could very possibly be staging by an adult. I don't feel like anyone in her home had anything to do with this but chances are they most likely have came in contact with whoever did lead her out of her home in those early morning hours.

I agree completely. I know they said she didn't talk on the phone, etc., but she had to be expecting someone to be there. A young girl that age isn't going to wander aimlessly through the night. Another thing, when she hid from the passing cars, could it be that she knew which vehicle she was waiting for? I think LE may know more details than we do. IDK, it's a sad case, and I hope there's resolution to it.

The only thing that doesn’t fit that for me is the fact whoever it was trusted her to wake at 3am and meet them somewhere. Her Aunt and Nan lived in the same street I believe so if it was outside the house whoever it was was taking a monumentally large risk in picking her up there.

Maybe they said to meet somewhere else but again she’s 9, you’re trusting her to get up at 3am, sneak out without waking anyone and walk to lord knows where in a storm.

Again, more confusion for me with the sightings. She runs into the woods. It makes no sense at all. If she’s meeting someone then she must have known what car they were in and be able to see clearly, in the dark, in a storm to know the car wasn’t the one she was meeting.

To me is says she was just running away from strangers because stranger danger. So maybe she had a destination she intended to get to and just took shelter in the shed, maybe waiting for the storm to pass. But If that’s the case what happened? Why was her bag double wrapped and buried 30 miles away in the opposite direction.

The shed the wrappers etc were found in, do we know if the owner was looked into? Maybe he/she thought they were being robbed etc.

The Search for Shelby's Sweetheart - Charlotte Magazine

I've been doing a lot of thinking about those items found at the shed area and I found this article that says they were found three days after Asha went missing again here we are with the number three. If this article is accurate that would be even more cause for me to believe that the items were staged. I don't believe Asha was ever at that shed we have no evidence that she herself was there yes three things that belonged to her were found there but that doesn't mean she was the one who put them there I mean three days is a long time and anyone could have snuck out there and put the things there within that time period.

Wow! I thought I was just OCDing! But yes, 3am, 3 days, and one more thing. Two cars passed that she hid from; Was the third car the green one police talked about a few years ago?

I went back to the beginning and started from scratch on this one after writing all of the facts out there is one thing that stands out to me and maybe I'm not the only one to notice it but the number 3 keeps coming up in this case. She took three outfits with her, she took three family pictures and three of the things from her purse or backpack ended up at the storage shed which was roughly 300 feet off the road. All of these things don't seem like coincidence to me but it doesn't seem like something a 9 year old little girl would think of all on her own either. It would seem to me that this could very possibly be staging by an adult. I don't feel like anyone in her home had anything to do with this but chances are they most likely have came in contact with whoever did lead her out of her home in those early morning hours.

I thought I read somewhere in my research that the family photos were not proven taken. A made up “fact” along the way...I’ll look for the info.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post on a case besides The Springfield Three. I'm from Shelby North Carolina and attended Fallston Elementary School from August 1999 - June 2005. I lived about fifteen minutes away from where Asha disappeared, and also rode the same bus she did. I didn't know her personally but knew of her, and I have a memory of her sitting a few seats in front of me on the bus with her head turned talking to another student. I was in kindergarten at the time, so I obviously don't remember much about her disappearance when it initially happened but grew up hearing about it, and the many clues and tips they found over the years. The location they found her backpack is baffling to me because it's so far away from where she was supposedly spotted. The storage shed she ate her candy in as well is also odd to me, because of how far away from the road it is. I believe she could have been groomed by someone at Fallston school. Don't get me wrong, I had many wonderful teachers during my time there, but there were also adults, that even as a child, made me feel uncomfortable to be around at that School. The Dr.Seuss book also makes me think it could have been taking directly by an adult from the Library without it being checked out. At the time, there were no security codes in the books, and the librarian would simply stamp the slip in the back of the book. There were also two ways into the library, one right by the librarian's counter, and another off to the back where anyone could leave without being spotted. There was also an emergency exit protected by an automatic fire alarm. The N.K.O.T.B shirt seems like something a teenager would have worn at the time. If she did go to that barn, my guess would be that she had to have been there before. I don't like pointing the finger towards her stepfather, but his actions do seem questionable in regards to him emphasizing she took her book bag when making the initial 911 call. I don't understand why she wouldn't take her coat. It's cold here in Shebly during February, especially back then. We always had late snowstorms back then. The eyewitness could also be wrong, or perhaps someone else was walking that night. Her billboard is still standing where she was supposedly last seen. I pass by it all the time and wonder what happened that night, and how a 9-year-old disappeared in the middle of the night. Shelby is very rural, and highway 18 doesn't have a lot of lighting along the way. Sadly, I do not think she's still alive. I wish she was, but in this case, it seems like this mystery will only be solved if someone comes forward. Again, not accusing anyone directly, but there were weird people who taught at Fallston. All of this is just my opinion, but I hope this case gets solved someday.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post on a case besides The Springfield Three. I'm from Shelby North Carolina and attended Fallston Elementary School from August 1999 - June 2005. I lived about fifteen minutes away from where Asha disappeared, and also rode the same bus she did. I didn't know her personally but knew of her, and I have a memory of her sitting a few seats in front of me on the bus with her head turned talking to another student. I was in kindergarten at the time, so I obviously don't remember much about her disappearance when it initially happened but grew up hearing about it, and the many clues and tips they found over the years. The location they found her backpack is baffling to me because it's so far away from where she was supposedly spotted. The storage shed she ate her candy in as well is also odd to me, because of how far away from the road it is. I believe she could have been groomed by someone at Fallston school. Don't get me wrong, I had many wonderful teachers during my time there, but there were also adults, that even as a child, made me feel uncomfortable to be around at that School. The Dr.Seuss book also makes me think it could have been taking directly by an adult from the Library without it being checked out. At the time, there were no security codes in the books, and the librarian would simply stamp the slip in the back of the book. There were also two ways into the library, one right by the librarian's counter, and another off to the back where anyone could leave without being spotted. There was also an emergency exit protected by an automatic fire alarm. The N.K.O.T.B shirt seems like something a teenager would have worn at the time. If she did go to that barn, my guess would be that she had to have been there before. I don't like pointing the finger towards her stepfather, but his actions do seem questionable in regards to him emphasizing she took her book bag when making the initial 911 call. I don't understand why she wouldn't take her coat. It's cold here in Shebly during February, especially back then. We always had late snowstorms back then. The eyewitness could also be wrong, or perhaps someone else was walking that night. Her billboard is still standing where she was supposedly last seen. I pass by it all the time and wonder what happened that night, and how a 9-year-old disappeared in the middle of the night. Shelby is very rural, and highway 18 doesn't have a lot of lighting along the way. Sadly, I do not think she's still alive. I wish she was, but in this case, it seems like this mystery will only be solved if someone comes forward. Again, not accusing anyone directly, but there were weird people who taught at Fallston. All of this is just my opinion, but I hope this case gets solved someday.
Welcome to Ws Seeker994, thanks for chiming in with some local perspective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13