NC - Curtis, 63, & Ruby Atkinson, 62, murdered, Charlotte, 2 April 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My heart goes out to Arieyana in losing her grandparents, especially in a violent manner. Their death at the hands of her uncle make it all the worse. Essentially, she has lost him also. I hope there are relatives who will take Arieyana into their home, love and nurture her, and help her heal emotionally from this ordeal.

A 911 call, a chase and a crash led to Charlotte girl kidnapped after double homicide

Friends of her murdered grandparents, Curtis and Ruby Atkinson, say the couple took in the girl after her father, Micah Atkinson, was murdered in 2013 in Charlotte.

Micah Atkinson is the dead couple’s son, friends say, and he is the brother of the man now suspected in the killing of Curtis, 63, and Ruby Atkinson, 62, on Sunday.

Curtis Atkinson Jr., 36, is believed to have kidnapping of Arieyana, his niece, after the double murder Sunday morning.

The New York Daily News reported Monday morning that Curtis Atkinson Jr. was taken into custody after he crashed into another vehicle during a brief police chase on Independence Avenue SW, along the Tidal Basin. There were no serious injuries in the crash, which began about 8:30 p.m., reported Washington DC area media.

A third person in the vehicle was identified by as Nikkia Cooper, 26. Cooper was arrested on drug charges, and police are investigating any role she might have had in the kidnapping and murders in Charlotte, CBS News reported. Court records indicate the Curtis Atkinson Jr. and Cooper had been sharing a home in the past year, and were evicted the first week of March.

Arieyana was taken to a Washington area hospital after the crash and appeared to be uninjured, it was reported.

Charlotte officials have said the chase in Washington happened after a female inside that car called police at about 8 p.m., saying she had been kidnapped. She was able to provide her approximate location to the dispatcher and police quickly began searching for the 2005 white Chevrolet Impala. Authorities have not confirmed the caller was Arieyana.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article142345309.html

Snippets from http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article142554149.html
An officer who chased the vehicle in Washington was told that the occupants of the vehicle “had a handgun and they were not scared to hurt the kidnapped child in the vehicle,” the court documents said, according to AP.

[...]

While it’s unclear where Arieyana will live, the school is collecting gift cards for her immediate needs and created a trust fund to accept public donations for her long-term care. Quesinberry said support from the Hickory Grove family has been “incredible.”

[...]

Atkinson Jr. has a lengthy arrest record, including charges for drug dealing, assault, and possession of a firearm by a felon. Records show he was found guilty of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, assault and battery, possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of stolen goods, possession of controlled substances with intent to distribute and second-degree trespassing.
How scary that must have been for Arieyana. But, she handled herself so well. I'm glad she had a cell phone and was able to call 911 for help. How heartwarming that the school is so supportive of Arieyana. I hope she'll receive many blessings in life.

I was so thrilled to see she was saved from this kidnapping---but the nightmare is not over, poor baby.

Lost her father last year to murder, and now her grandparents...:sigh: ....going to be a long road. I am glad she is still very young. I hope she gets the care and support she will need.

Peace be with you, as you grow and heal, sweet Arieyana...:candle: :heartbeat:

Arieyana Forney, the 11-year-old girl who was kidnapped in early April after her grandparents were killed in their home, has returned to Charlotte and is back in school, according to a school official.

(...)

“I’m happy to report that Arieyana is safely back in class, and is surrounded by a loving community,” he said in a press conference Wednesday at CMPD headquarters. “The staff and students welcomed her back with great joy in her return.”
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article144219609.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back