GUILTY NC - Deah Barakat, 23, his wife & her sister murdered, Chapel Hill, 10 Feb 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Didn't see your post until I had already posted. According to the Rules and Regulations, visitor parking is on the street only. It doesn't state how many parking spaces per unit, but that unit owners must park in their assigned spaces.

If another vehicle had been parked in one of Hicks' assigned spaces, I wonder if it belonged to a visitor other than Razan, but Hicks assumed the vehicle belonged to a visitor of Yusor and Deah. Maybe the vehicle parked there, if there was one, looked similar to Razan's vehicle or the vehicle of another frequent guest of Yusor and Deah. The "offending" vehicle could have been gone by the time LE arrived.

Granted I'm going off of the interview his sister did with CNN, she said there were a few visitors spots and the rest parked on the street. Adjacent to the alleged killer's spot was one of those visitor parking spots. She described Deah's space, next to his was the alleged killer' space, and next to that was one space for a visitor. He wanted it for his wife, she claimed. I will try to find it in wording. I'm not sure if she's unaware or misquoting someone else, but this is what she told AC.

If you follow the link for gettyimages in my post above, the photographer also has photos of two vehicles that have carolina dentistry decals on them. One of them has a parking sticker, the other does not.

I still can't figure out the parking arrangements. From reading the rules, there are assigned spot(s) for each condo. Visitors must park in the street. If there are more cars then assigned spot for a condo, the extra cars must find another location to park. They may not park on the street for long periods of time. So was he was complaining about residents parking in visitor spots long term?
I don't know why I keep researching all the parking rules and layouts.

From following that same link, I came upon this photo:

463199806.jpg

Note the "20B" and "20C" markings on the parking spaces. These do not match up with the actual condo addresses:

463194934.jpg

The space markings and the parking regs seem to be pretty ambiguous. I can see where these could lead to personal interpretations of what constitutes "my" parking versus "your" parking versus "visitor" parking [NONE OF WHICH justifies the killing of three people however!]

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/op...curry-to-honor-north-carolina-shooting-victim

Warriors guard Stephen Curry said Saturday that during the All-Star Game, he will honor the memory of Deah Shaddy Barakat, who was killed in a triple homicide in Chapel Hill, N.C. that sparked widespread outrage.

Curry said he will write on his shoes and hoped the tribute to one of his biggest fans would be picked up by national television cameras at Madison Square Garden.

"Even though we never met, I think it will hopefully mean a lot to his family and friends that knew what kind of a basketball fan he was, to have some kind of peace knowing that people are thinking about him and they're not alone," said Curry, the leading vote-getter in the All-Star balloting.

Because you said it made it seem like they had been hunted which I didn't understand.

It sounded like he might have walked up to the door, shot the man, walked into the kitchen and shot one woman, then walked into another room and shot the second woman (or maybe chased her). I don't know that it happened that way or in which order they were killed. I read it and it just gave me an eerie image of him hunting them.

NPR article today:
Some See Extreme 'Anti-Theism' As Motive In N.C. Killings
FEBRUARY 15, 2015 9:23 AM ET
Tom Gjelten

The victims, Omeish said, were the real Americans, honoring everything we believe is good about this land.

(snip)

But right now the feeling among Muslim Americans seems to be that the North Carolina killings were clearly a hate crime.

President Obama on Friday released a statement, saying no one in America should be targeted because of who they are or how they worship. That statement followed a decision by the FBI to launch its own hate crime investigation in North Carolina.

bbm

UT-Arlington student admits making up claim that gunman followed her to campus, threatened her

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...n-followed-her-to-campus-threatened-her.html/

The student also posted on social media that the man might have targeted her because she is Muslim. In a Facebook post, she referred to the killings of three Muslim students this week in Chapel Hill, N.C.

http://www.arlingtonvoice.com/crime...-students-claim-aggravated-assault-weapon-was

In a post that turned viral on Facebook, an apparent Muslim student named Ambreen Sharif claimed she was driving to campus on Feb. 11 when a white pickup truck decorated with “large Texas flags” began following her.

Sharif claimed the truck followed her for six miles until she parked, and then blocked her in by parking behind her.

She then stated a man got out of the truck, approached her vehicle and screamed “watch the ****** out, we’re killing all of you.”

She also said the man pointed a gun straight at her.

“I have felt no closer to death before,” Sharif stated in her post. “I also closed my eyes and said Laa ilaha ill Allah, Mohammudur Rasool Ullah.

“He could have very easily put a bullet straight in my face. He could have very easily killed me.”

Sharif's post had been shared more than 850 times on Facebook by Friday morning.

I hope they throw the book at this woman.

From WRAL:

Grand jury indicts man in Chapel Hill triple shooting — A grand jury has indicted Craig Stephen Hicks on three counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of three people at a Chapel Hill condominium last week.

http://www.wral.com/

UT-Arlington student admits making up claim that gunman followed her to campus, threatened her

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...n-followed-her-to-campus-threatened-her.html/

The student also posted on social media that the man might have targeted her because she is Muslim. In a Facebook post, she referred to the killings of three Muslim students this week in Chapel Hill, N.C.

http://www.arlingtonvoice.com/crime...-students-claim-aggravated-assault-weapon-was

In a post that turned viral on Facebook, an apparent Muslim student named Ambreen Sharif claimed she was driving to campus on Feb. 11 when a white pickup truck decorated with “large Texas flags” began following her.

Sharif claimed the truck followed her for six miles until she parked, and then blocked her in by parking behind her.

She then stated a man got out of the truck, approached her vehicle and screamed “watch the ****** out, we’re killing all of you.”

“I have felt no closer to death before,” Sharif stated in her post. “I also closed my eyes and said Laa ilaha ill Allah, Mohammudur Rasool Ullah.

“He could have very easily put a bullet straight in my face. He could have very easily killed me.”

Sharif's post had been shared more than 850 times on Facebook by Friday morning.

I do too because it is people like this that make it harder to prosecute people and make charges stick. They claim something and luckily this time it was caught early but if not and these claims are taken to court and then it is found out they lied it jeopardizes the conviction.
STOP LYING PEOPLE!

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the victims or suspect in this thread, obviously tries to associate the victims race and/or religious beliefs with unlawful actions not related to them, is in violation of TOS, has been reported, and then subsequently ignored by the moderating staff, who have allowed it to stay up. Draw your own conclusions.

Chapel Hill shooting: Friends want tragedy to change how America sees Islam

By Reema Khraism, WUNC
. . . when Said and the others didn’t get any text messages or calls back from their friend, they jumped into their cars and rushed over to his neighborhood. That’s when they got the news.

Ahmad’s sister was close to the three victims. She texted him to ask: "What’s going on?"

“I said, ‘They found Deah, Yusor and Razan and they’ve been killed,’” Ahmad remembers. “My sister was like, ‘Do they know why?’ and I said, ‘No, I don’t.’ And she texted me back saying, ‘Was it the neighbor?’”

Uncomfortable around their neighbor

Barakat and his wife Yusor Abu-Salha’s neighbor, Craig Hicks, 46, turned himself into authorities hours after the shootings on Tuesday and was charged with three counts of first-degree murder. Barakat and Yusor, 21, were newlyweds, and Yusor was going to join Barakat as a student at the dental school in the fall. Razan Abu-Salha, 19, Yusor’s younger sister, was studying architecture and design at N.C. State University.

Barakat’s four friends strongly believe it was a hate crime. They all heard from mutual friends that the three had felt hated and uncomfortable around their neighbor -- and went out of their way to make sure they didn’t upset him.

Ahmad says it’s insulting what the Chapel Hill Police Department has said so far — that the murders were motivated by a parking dispute between Hicks and his neighbors.

<snip>

Eltilib, one of the four friends in Chapel Hill, says he hopes the shootings will encourage people to change their perceptions of Islam.

&#8220;Don&#8217;t let the media or ISIS or whatever may be going on in other parts of the world shape your opinion,&#8221; Eltilib says. &#8220;Base your opinions off the Muslims in your community, especially these three. I feel like they perfectly blended being an American and being a Muslim.&#8221;

I think that the guy that shot them was a jerk. But I don't believe in hate crimes. I believe people should be punished for their actions and not for their thoughts. I think this guy was a ARSE and they got him and he should be charged with 1st degree 3 times over and punished. Whether it was over a parking spot or because they are muslim's that does not matter. The only thing that matters is that he murdered them. IMO.

I think that the guy that shot them was a jerk. But I don't believe in hate crimes. I believe people should be punished for their actions and not for their thoughts. I think this guy was a ARSE and they got him and he should be charged with 1st degree 3 times over and punished. Whether it was over a parking spot or because they are muslim's that does not matter. The only thing that matters is that he murdered them. IMO.

Respectfully, whether or not religious or cultural hatred was involved does matter to me, and it matters to the United States government. What was it that made him snap and shoot these three young adults, and not anybody else in the complex he'd confronted over parking? Reportedly, Deah, Yusor, and Razan were not even parked in his "reserved" spot and purposely avoided irritating him because he was so antagonistic. So what made him go to their apartment and shoot them in cold blood? Would he have reacted the same if the three had been blue-eyed, blonde Carolinians?

It matters.

I agree, Concerned Mama. Motive is always important in crime. We spend lots of time discussing and debating motive on this forum, so why not in this case? I realize some people have a problem with the term, "hate crime" but the motive should be thoroughly investigated, just like any other crime, and if religious or cultural hatred is involved we need to know, as a society. It could be important for prevention of future such crimes. I also think the religious/cultural/racial aspect of crimes is important because our beautiful country was founded on equality and lack of religious persecution. I'd like to keep it that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerinska
Back