Found Deceased NC - Diana Alejandra Keel, 38, car parked at home, Nashville, Nash County, 8 Mar 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the recording of the press conference:
Nash County man wanted in wife's murder arrested in Arizona, sheriff says :: WRAL.com

A couple of minutes into the video, a reporter asks if LK was in the vehicle he was believed to have been driving when he was arrested.

The sheriff says he was, and then goes on to say, “And that vehicle, to clear up any misconceptions of asking why we weren’t following him, we didn’t have any arrest warrants at the time that he left, and the vehicle he left in was his parents’ vehicle. Both of his vehicles had been seized, and we have possession of those vehicles.”

I haven’t researched North Carolina laws, and so I am only speculating here, but I don't believe LE needs a warrant (arrest or otherwise) to follow someone. Not the best sources, but I did find the following, and to me, it makes sense:

1. "We see it all the time on TV and in movies ... the suspect starts driving, and there's an unmarked police car tailing a few cars back.

But just because it's commonplace in dramatized versions of real life, does that make it legal? Do the police need a warrant to follow you?

The Fourth Amendment prohibits 'unreasonable searches and seizures,' and what is and isn't reasonable can be up for debate.

[SBM]

The primary Supreme Court case on the matter, Katz v. United States, held that what 'a person knowingly exposes to the public, even in his own home or office, is not a subject of Fourth Amendment protection ... But what he seeks to preserve as private, even in an area accessible to the public, may be constitutionally protected.'

While individuals may have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their own bodies, they generally don't have the same expectation when they are out in public, so police can generally follow a person while they are in public places.

[SBM]

Because a person walking or driving in public would be in plain view of police officers (and everyone else), law enforcement would not need to obtain a warrant to merely follow someone." (BBM)
Can Police Follow You Without a Warrant?

2. "In more serious situations, you might become aware that you are being followed. Surveillance is a very common method of investigation. Remember, your expectation of privacy is greatly diminished while in public. Law enforcement does not need a warrant to follow you and or to take pictures." (BBM)
State Criminal Investigations | Mardock Law

We will probably never know exactly how LK was able to disappear, but based on the sheriff's answer to the reporter's question (and I had actually wondered if something like this had happened, as I'm sure others did, too), I think that maybe LK was being watched, but when he left his parents' house on Thursday, whoever was keeping an eye on him assumed it was either his mom or dad leaving since he was driving their truck.

In any case, I am very happy that LK is now in custody, and kudos to the Nash County Sheriff and his team for working hard to put the case together.

Last edited:
Link to the recording of the press conference:
Nash County man wanted in wife's murder arrested in Arizona, sheriff says :: WRAL.com

A couple of minutes into the video, a reporter asks if LK was in the vehicle he was believed to have been driving when he was arrested.

The sheriff says he was, and then goes on to say, “And that vehicle, to clear up any misconceptions of asking why we weren’t following him, we didn’t have any arrest warrants at the time that he left, and the vehicle he left in, was his parents’ vehicle. Both of his vehicles had been seized, and we have possession of those vehicles.”

I haven’t researched North Carolina laws, and so I am only speculating here, but I don't believe LE needs a warrant (arrest or otherwise) to follow someone. Not the best sources, but I did find the following, and to me, it makes sense:

1. "We see it all the time on TV and in movies ... the suspect starts driving, and there's an unmarked police car tailing a few cars back.

But just because it's commonplace in dramatized versions of real life, does that make it legal? Do the police need a warrant to follow you?

The Fourth Amendment prohibits 'unreasonable searches and seizures,' and what is and isn't reasonable can be up for debate.

[SBM]

The primary Supreme Court case on the matter, Katz v. United States, held that what 'a person knowingly exposes to the public, even in his own home or office, is not a subject of Fourth Amendment protection ... But what he seeks to preserve as private, even in an area accessible to the public, may be constitutionally protected.'

While individuals may have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their own bodies, they generally don't have the same expectation when they are out in public, so police can generally follow a person while they are in public places.

[SBM]

Because a person walking or driving in public would be in plain view of police officers (and everyone else), law enforcement would not need to obtain a warrant to merely follow someone." (BBM)
Can Police Follow You Without a Warrant?

2. "In more serious situations, you might become aware that you are being followed. Surveillance is a very common method of investigation. Remember, your expectation of privacy is greatly diminished while in public. Law enforcement does not need a warrant to follow you and or to take pictures." (BBM)
State Criminal Investigations | Mardock Law

We will probably never know exactly how LK was able to disappear, but based on the sheriff's answer to the reporter's question (and I had actually wondered if something like this had happened, as I'm sure others did, too), I think that maybe LK was being watched, but when he left his parents' house on Thursday, whoever was keeping an eye on him assumed it was either his mom or dad leaving since he was driving their truck.

In any case, I am very happy that LK is now in custody, and kudos to the Nash County Sheriff and his team for working hard to put the case together.
Yeah, they couldn’t have put a gps tracker on his vehicle, but there was nothing stopping them from watching him the good old fashioned way.

There is no excuse here, not matter how he spins it.

Glad they caught this guy though.

Yeah, they couldn’t have put a gps tracker on his vehicle, but there was nothing stopping them from watching him the good old fashioned way.

Yep, they could have watched him ride right out of NC. Couldn't have done one thing without a warrant though.

I am elated to see he is in custody today. Major kudos to the citizen who called in the tip which led to his capture and to ASP for capturing him. It truly does take a village, folks. I think a lot of us in the Carolinas will sleep better tonight knowing he is not out and about somewhere.

have to wonder if LEO was pinging or tracking his phone OR watching the usage of his debit or charge card. Maybe just maybe he called his 10 y/o son to say goodbye or love you this morning. Nonetheless may he now rot in prison

It depends. I talked to a lady yesterday that's a resident alien and has been for years. She's married to a US citizen. They dont have much money and she cant afford the fees involved to become a citizen.
I have a friend whose soon to be spouse is from Canada and the fees are about $4000 at least where she is. I had no idea!

Since he has major control issues and enjoys bullying women there is a possibility he has committed suicide. But on the other hand where is his truck. o_O

Another husband murdering his wife. Beyond old story.

RIP Diana. Prayers for her children and loved ones.

I don't think such a controlling jerk would commit suicide.
He believes he is so smart, and will try using his so called skills to manipulate people and survive out of prison.
So many places, to disappear into, and keep out of the public.
Surely, he has changed his means of transport, to 'get away', and now is relying on self preservation, any way he can.
Can he get out of the Country???
There is this likelihood, I am afraid.
MOO.

Wow, an edit.
Just heard the creep has been arrested.
YIPPEE.
As was behind with posts, did not hear the latest.

Does anyone have maps of this area, as I have no idea?
How far he has traveled: is this through built up areas, or the wilderness etc.
Guess I'll hunt for my old Atlas, that I have somewhere.

Roughly 2196 miles - mapping from Nashville, NC to Tucson, AZ as no idea of exact location he was captured.

Google Maps

Roughly 2196 miles - mapping from Nashville, NC to Tucson, AZ as no idea of exact location he was captured.

Google Maps

Great KatzEye, that really helped.
My searches were a fizzle.
So this Jerk was continually driving, to get so far, and through loads of 'unbuilt' areas, it seems.
Thank goodness, he did not get into Mexico.
He was not smart enough to change his appearance, as thank goodness the flat head was spotted.
Hope the smart 'spotter' gets a reward, and we all hear about it.
Nice work.
MOO.

Soooo glad they caught him. He was so close to escaping. It will be interesting to see how he attempts to talk his way out of this. I didn't believe for a minute he had committed suicide. He thinks he is sooo smart. BUT, once he is serving life behind bars, then I think he might consider suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSMEITH1