NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just listened to a podcast on this case (made before the arrest) and have been reading about MESO today. So little information!! I apologize is this is already known by avid followers of the case, but has any connection between him and FH been found? Did he live close by at the time? TIA!!

I just listened to a podcast on this case (made before the arrest) and have been reading about MESO today. So little information!! I apologize is this is already known by avid followers of the case, but has any connection between him and FH been found? Did he live close by at the time? TIA!!
No established connection between MESO and Faith has been made public thus far, and indeed there may be none.
At the time, he lived with his mom maybe 5-10 mins, by car, from Faith's place.

I really, really want to see some movement in that case.

Faith seemed like such a lovely girl with so much potential and there seems to be no other motive in this case so far than maybe to sexually assault someone. It is driving me nuts that crimes like this still happen and keep on happening. Killed for no other reason than being a female.

I did wonder if there could be any connection between him and K-s ex, because men like that ex can be very very dangerous. But I have seen no indication of it. So far it seems like a random crime with possible drug involvement on the prep's side.

Just horrible all around.

MOO

Faith’s autopsy shows blunt force trauma to the right side of her skull - which indicates that the perp swinging the murder weapon (wine bottle) was holding the bottle in their left hand. Per my last post, ABC News 11 reported that the murder weapon, a wine bottle, matches a palm print from Miguel’s left hand.

As a rule of thumb, most people wear a watch on their non-dominant hand. So a left-handed person typically wears a watch on their right hand... However, Miguel wears a watch on his left hand (image below), which suggests that he is right-handed.
gAyPkwFb1C4O7HnejWVCZRUjAIYATm71QbewXiG-LDc7mmoV2axYSuDC20LQk5WxAOpV-fSnXhcGCcZ4trxUk2tzIC5KLGhSkTSUlx4ftiVXilkoQ4fagNoUMTXnaW_YMyPtILyjtLh4rGs0c_Iqe2DDRL3Wo8rPl1m3pQyVTYGTWCSZrb4UYn1BgBEORA

Could Miguel have used his non-dominant hand to kill Faith? Of course. Anything is possible. But how likely is it?
I am curious where you got this picture and if you have others? All i had ever seen was his mugshot. I am also wondering if anyone heard if LE ever released his height and weight? Looks like a big guy from mugshot picture but not so much from this other shot

Faith’s autopsy shows blunt force trauma to the right side of her skull - which indicates that the perp swinging the murder weapon (wine bottle) was holding the bottle in their left hand. Per my last post, ABC News 11 reported that the murder weapon, a wine bottle, matches a palm print from Miguel’s left hand.

As a rule of thumb, most people wear a watch on their non-dominant hand. So a left-handed person typically wears a watch on their right hand... However, Miguel wears a watch on his left hand (image below), which suggests that he is right-handed.
gAyPkwFb1C4O7HnejWVCZRUjAIYATm71QbewXiG-LDc7mmoV2axYSuDC20LQk5WxAOpV-fSnXhcGCcZ4trxUk2tzIC5KLGhSkTSUlx4ftiVXilkoQ4fagNoUMTXnaW_YMyPtILyjtLh4rGs0c_Iqe2DDRL3Wo8rPl1m3pQyVTYGTWCSZrb4UYn1BgBEORA

Could Miguel have used his non-dominant hand to kill Faith? Of course. Anything is possible. But how likely is it?
As someone who is left-handed, I know I was told many times as a child that people wear watches on their left hand. That's also what I would see others doing. So that's what I thought was the correct way, until I learned that actually, people wear them on their non-dominant hand and everyone who'd mentioned that to me had just assumed I was right-handed. Granted I was a lot younger than MESO is in this picture when I figured that out, but I'm thinking the kind of guy who randomly breaks into an apartment to kill and assault an innocent girl is maybe not the brightest crayon in the box. He may have never realized to wear his watch on the non-dominant hand.

Or--I don't think he necessarily came there to kill that night, so he may have killed her while freaking out and therefore used his non-dominant hand as a matter of chance.

I am curious where you got this picture and if you have others? All i had ever seen was his mugshot. I am also wondering if anyone heard if LE ever released his height and weight? Looks like a big guy from mugshot picture but not so much from this other shot
That photo is from Miguel's Facebook profile. He uploaded it on 11/19/2020.

Attached below is another photo that was uploaded on 11/25/2019.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.24.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.24.50 PM.png
    836.4 KB · Views: 24
As someone who is left-handed, I know I was told many times as a child that people wear watches on their left hand. That's also what I would see others doing. So that's what I thought was the correct way, until I learned that actually, people wear them on their non-dominant hand and everyone who'd mentioned that to me had just assumed I was right-handed. Granted I was a lot younger than MESO is in this picture when I figured that out, but I'm thinking the kind of guy who randomly breaks into an apartment to kill and assault an innocent girl is maybe not the brightest crayon in the box. He may have never realized to wear his watch on the non-dominant hand.

Or--I don't think he necessarily came there to kill that night, so he may have killed her while freaking out and therefore used his non-dominant hand as a matter of chance.
For more context, the photo I posted of Miguel was uploaded to his Facebook account on 11/19/2020. So he would’ve been almost 28-years-old when that was uploaded. I believe it’s fairly common knowledge for adults who frequently wear watches that you typically wear them on your non-dominant hand. But you’re totally right, maybe Miguel had no idea, or maybe he just liked wearing his watch on his left wrist despite which hand was dominant... Since CHPD allegedly found the perp’s DNA on the pen used to write the note, hopefully they found prints as well and they’ll be able to determine which hand the perp wrote with. In my opinion, the perp most likely used their dominant hand to write the note. So if Miguel is left-handed, I would expect prints from his left hand on the pen.

Also, in my opinion, this wasn’t a random crime. Here are a few reasons why:
- The note indicates a crime of passion.
- The manner in which Faith was excessively and brutally beaten indicates this was personal for the perp.
- Faith’s 2nd floor unit was at the very back of a fairly large complex that had poor lighting - yet it seems as if the perp knew exactly where to go and when to enter.

And since there is no evidence of forced entry, it’s tough for me to call this a break in. We don’t know the perp’s motive nor do we know if there was a connection between the perp and the victim. For all we know, Miguel knew Faith and/or Karena and entered with consent from one or both. That might help explain why Karena left the front door unlocked at 4:27am despite having a restraining order against Takoy who lived in the same complex.

Hunter Glass, who worked on the case as a private investigator, told ABC 11 that Salguero-Olivares’ name had come up as having been at a party at Hedgepeth’s apartment complex, but he said he “didn’t stick out.” Police have not confirmed any details about a party and whether Salguero-Olivares was there. Glass told the news station, “I would want to know why and who else knew. I don’t believe that only one person knows this case. And I don’t believe that there was only two and one can’t tell us. So, I do believe that there were either other witnesses, I believe, or not witnesses, at least heard something, knew something but kept it close to their chest because they didn’t want to talk about it, or they were afraid they would be implicated in it.”
by heavy.com
"Personal opinion, I think there is more to it than that. I think Miguel was involved -- that's obvious. I think at the same time, we will find out there were more people involved in this," he said.
by wral.com

What nags at me here, is that while many people lived in the same apartment complex, only one person has been named as living there in regards to this case (curious, if that's where the party was).

The note left at the crime scene read: “IM NOT STUPID B*TCH JEALOUS.” There were no spelling errors. However, according to CHPD, Miguel spoke "little to no English." (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article254309613.html)

If Miguel had recently moved to the U.S. from Guatemala, and he spoke “little to no English,” how likely is it that he wrote a note in English with no spelling errors without any help?

Or think of it like this - how many people on here could go to Guatemala, speak "little to no Spanish," and write “IM NOT STUPID B*TCH JEALOUS” in Spanish with no spelling errors without any help?
I thought the same thing when I read he spoke little to no English. "Jealous" is a hard word for even some native English speakers to spell correctly. Maybe the note was there and was related to something else, and he saw it and put it there for some reason, but given that the charges are taking so long to come, I am suspicious that he wasn't alone in this and they are working through those details and other charges. (Edit: Contractions, like "I'm" are also tricky for people learning English.)

And if you believe the voicemail transcript, and believe it was recording at the time of the killing, it makes a lot more sense if there were three other people in that room with two of them telling the second male to rape her.

It reminds me of the Janet Chandler case where a woman's coworkers hated her so much that they organized for the victim to be bound and gang raped at a party before she was killed. A female coworker who was supposedly her "best friend" was in on the plan and encouraged the rape in progress...

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I read he spoke little to no English. "Jealous" is a hard word for even some native English speakers to spell correctly. Maybe the note was there and was related to something else, and he saw it and put it there for some reason, but given that the charges are taking so long to come, I am suspicious that he wasn't alone in this and they are working through those details and other charges. (Edit: Contractions, like "I'm" are also tricky for people learning English.)

And if you believe the voicemail transcript, and believe it was recording at the time of the killing, it makes a lot more sense if there were three other people in that room with two of them telling the second male to rape her.

It reminds me of the Janet Chandler case where a woman's coworkers hated her so much that they organized for the victim to be bound and gang raped at a party before she was killed. A female coworker who was supposedly her "best friend" was in on the plan and encouraged the rape in progress...

Yeah, I’m in a camp that has long believed there were 2 perps involved, though not convinced either of them necessarily wrote the note.
And here we are just another summer away from yet one more anniversary of this wretched crime… will MESO actually go 2 full years without another court appearance???…. doesn’t seem possible IF the DNA evidence is actually valid (and I worked 15 years in clinical genetics and know that lab screw-ups ARE possible). Matters here seeming inexplicable and shameful!

I think something should be considered here. LE and prosecutors have MESO's DNA/semen on her and his palm print. They could prosecute on this and get a conviction. But they also know that there is almost certainly something else going on here. So while we are all frustrated, this is maybe a case where moving forward might be a big mistake.

People are still trying to pin this on a woman. Sad!

Well finally an “update” (and I use that word loosely) on the case:

Here’s why it’s taking lawyers so long to prosecute the suspect in 2012 of UNC-Chapel Hill student Faith Hedgepeth

Prosecutor tries lamely to explain why it is taking almost 2 years to even reach the point of another court date, trial date, or even plea date in this wretched case.
Stiiiiiiill trying, trying, trying to match MESO’s fingerprints to those on wine bottle (not rum bottle), where supposedly, perhaps, so they claim, to have a palm print that matches MESO (maybe, perhaps).
Stiiiiiiiill working on all the forensics; as if the previous 9 years of police forensics hasn't helped much…. yeah, I’m peeved.

And of course not a single word about motive, opportunity, or ruling in or out other potential suspects... In short, nothing of note except CYA excuses. Another court update due in July.... of what year I have no idea! :rolleyes:

Here’s why it’s taking lawyers so long to prosecute the suspect in 2012 of UNC-Chapel Hill student Faith Hedgepeth

Prosecutor tries lamely to explain why it is taking almost 2 years to even reach the point of another court date, trial date, or even plea date in this wretched case.
Stiiiiiiill trying, trying, trying to match MESO’s fingerprints to those on wine bottle (not rum bottle), where supposedly, perhaps, so they claim, to have a palm print that matches MESO (maybe, perhaps).
Stiiiiiiiill working on all the forensics; as if the previous 9 years of police forensics hasn't helped much…. yeah, I’m peeved.

And of course not a single word about motive, opportunity, or ruling in or out other potential suspects... In short, nothing of note except CYA excuses. Another court update due in July.... of what year I have no idea! :rolleyes:
I don't even know why the judge is buying this bs. I've never heard or seen anything like it.

I found this part curious-
“We are still awaiting digital forensic analysis and cell extractions, and digital social media and translation of audio,” Montgomery-Blinn said.

BBM - So are they referring to the butt dial call?

I found this part curious-
“We are still awaiting digital forensic analysis and cell extractions, and digital social media and translation of audio,” Montgomery-Blinn said.

BBM - So are they referring to the butt dial call?
I imagine that it refers to a call or voicemail recording that they have that is in Spanish.

I imagine that it refers to a call or voicemail recording that they have that is in Spanish.
How hard is it to translate Spanish? Literally just take the call to the closest university which offers Spanish as a major and ask someone in that department to translate the call. Tons of people in North Carolina speak Spanish, its not some arcane ancient language.

How hard is it to translate Spanish? Literally just take the call to the closest university which offers Spanish as a major and ask someone in that department to translate the call. Tons of people in North Carolina speak Spanish, its not some arcane ancient language.
Are translations made by a person chosen in such a fashion admissible in criminal court? What is the volume of Spanish recordings that need to be translated, if any? My only experience with having to have documents translated is in patent prosecution, and they have to be done by specifically qualified people and it is expensive and time-consuming.

Taking the confusion about the murder weapon - rum bottle vs wine bottle - into consideration, I wonder if that is related to the delay. When investigators matched a palm print on the wine bottle to MESO, did they abruptly shift course to get an arrest? For nearly 10 years, the rum bottle was thought to the murder weapon and had tissue fragments and DNA... Suddenly police think it was the wine bottle and have spent nearly 2 years trying to retest and match MESO's fingerprints?

I hope I'm wrong here but something seems off... I worry LE potentially jumped the gun with the palm print and haven't found the additional evidence they expected to. Or perhaps MESO isn't talking the way they hoped he would.

It really is taking super long. I do think they have the right guy, but probably they are getting the full story together. Could the phone call that's being translated be a confession of a sort to someone? A phone call from the jail that shows he knew something he should have not? Or is that suggesting someone else was involved? If the motive of entering the flat was not to commit a sex crime, but steal some valuables, I could see someone else being involved as a burglary partner. And that person would have to be identified and ruled out (or confirmed) of actually being the killer, so to say. If that other person is also an illegal immigrant and if the number of those burglary partners is unknonw, I could see how a simple case of fingerprints etc could take a lot of time. Additionally, there are probably still many different LE agencies involved, like the Chapel Hill police and then some others?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back