SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
maynard_veronica.jpg

Veronica Maynard

Endangered Missing from Greensboro, North Carlina since December 4, 1974

Veronica was last seen in Greensboro, North Carolina on December 4, 1974. Foul play is suspected in her case. Her husband, Julian Maynard, is the prime suspect in her disappearance. He passed away in 2004.

Charley Project

Greensboro Police Reopen Veronica Maynard Missing Person Case 40 Years Later

One Triad family has a Christmas wish you can't buy in any store. They simply want to know what happened to a family member who disappeared nearly 40 years ago.

Veronica Maynard was only 17-years-old when she vanished in Greensboro back in 1974. Her family believes Veronica is dead. Now, they just want to give her a proper burial.

Greensboro police have agreed to reopen case, after family members asked detectives to take another look.

[snip]

The governor offered a $2500 reward for information about this case back in 1978. WFMY News 2 checked with the governor's office on Friday and that reward money is still available.

Anyone with information can also call Crime Stoppers: 336-373-1000. You can remain anonymous or possibly collect a reward up to $2,000.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article/309209/57/GSO-Missing-Person-Case-Reopened-40-Years-Later

[h=1]Ila Veronica Tucker Maynard[/h]
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_1.jpg
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_2.jpg
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_5.jpg
Maynard, circa 1974; Julian Maynard

• Missing Since 12/04/1974
  • Missing From Greensboro, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 03/05/1957 (61)
  • Age 17 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray Cleopatra-style coat, blue pants and platform shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Maynard goes by her middle name, Veronica, and some agencies refer to her as Veronica Maynard. She may wear hair weaves.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Veronica was last seen in Greensboro, North Carolina on December 4, 1974. Accounts differ as to the circumstances; some state she was on foot, and others that she was riding in a gold 1971 Chevrolet Nova. She disappeared that day and has never been heard from again.

Veronica did not have a vehicle at the time of her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her case and her husband, Julian, is the prime suspect in her disappearance. A photo of Julian is posted with this case summary. He died in 2004.

Veronica's family believe she is deceased and hope to recover her body. Her case remains unsolved. She lived in the 200 block of Baker Drive at the time of her disappearance.

http://charleyproject.org/case/ila-veronica-tucker-maynard

[h=2]Identifiers[/h] Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

[h=2]Circumstances of Disappearance[/h] Per law enforcement, Ms. Maynard was reported missing by her mother on December 5, 1974. She was last seen leaving her father's residence. She was last seen riding in a gold 1971 Chevrolet, Nova. Foul play is suspected.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3596dfnc.html

Circumstances: Per law enforcement, Veronica Maynard was reported missing by her mother on December 5, 1974. Veronica was last seen leaving her father's residence.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/22946/

17 years old and already married, Obviously her husband was involved in her dissapearence like LE suspects. Since he's now deceased it may be hard to find her wherabouts. I believe she's deceaded too unfortunately. Probably he buried her somewhere close to their house or to his work.

Ila Veronica Tucker Maynard – The Charley Project

Ila Veronica Tucker Maynard
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_1.jpg
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_2.jpg
  • ila_veronica_tucker_maynard_5.jpg
Maynard, circa 1974; Julian Maynard

• Missing Since12/04/1974
  • Missing FromGreensboro, North Carolina
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth03/05/1957 (62)
  • Age17 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA gray Cleopatra-style coat, blue pants and platform shoes.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Maynard goes by her middle name, Veronica, and some agencies refer to her as Veronica Maynard. Her ears are pierced and she may wear hair weaves.
Details of Disappearance
Veronica was last seen in Greensboro, North Carolina on December 4, 1974. Accounts differ as to the circumstances; some state she was on foot, and others that she was riding in a gold 1971 Chevrolet Nova. She disappeared that day and has never been heard from again.

Veronica did not have a vehicle at the time of her disappearance, and she left behind her purse, money and identifaction. Foul play is suspected in her case and her husband, Julian, is the prime suspect in her disappearance. A photo of Julian is posted with this case summary. He died in 2004.

Veronica's family believe she is deceased and hope to recover her body. Her case remains unsolved. She lived in the 200 block of Baker Drive at the time of her disappearance.
Investigating Agency
  • Greensboro Police Department 336-373-2222
Source Information
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 22, 2019; details of disappearance updated.

This Jane Doe was added to NAMUS recently - I wonder if she could be Veronica
Fron NamUs:
Circumstances of Recovery This female was found near a dump site in a wooded area off of Rockbridge Rd. The decedent was found approximately 284 ft from where the remains of Brenda Watson were found. The decedent was wearing a blue halter top, a yellow knit skirt with tassels, blue stockings, and black platform shoes. The decedent was also wearing a brown hair piece.
------

I looked up the circumstances for Brenda Watson. Her murderer, James Willie Brown, was executed in 2003. It seems quite plausible, given the timing and location, that this UID was another of his victims.

The dates seem possible: Veronica disappeared in Dec 1974 and the UID was found in May 1975. But this would have required her to escape from her husband, the main suspect, travel from NC to GA, likely find work in a club, and then encounter Brown. It doesn't seem very likely IMHO that Veronica's husband would have traveled all the way to GA to dump her body.

ETA, but good sleuthing work nevertheless @victoriarobinson642. I wonder why this was only recently added to NamUs.

I'm looking at the same Jane Doe, wondering the same. The husband looks much older than her. I wonder what the circumstances of their life together was like. Was she still in school? Any children?

1680945132238.jpg

In Hope to Lay Her to Rest: Veronica Tucker Maynard

Ila Veronica Tucker Maynard generally went by Veronica. She lived in the 200 block of Baker Drive in Greensboro, North Carolina at the time of her disappearance.

“She was my best friend,” said Brenda Tucker, her sister. “She was a cheerful and an outgoing person.” It was always Veronica’s dream to become a beautician.

Even sadder it is that she vanished at the young age of 17. The last time she was seen was on December 4, 1974. The exact circumstances of her disappearance are unclear, but there’s general agreement that she was last seen riding in a gold 1971 Chevrolet Nova, although others stated she was seen on foot.

She left all her personal belongings behind: her purse, money, and ID. She had no car at the time of her disappearance.

Whatever happened, the main suspect in the case is her husband, Julian. There was never enough evidence to arrest him, but enough to point out that he could have been involved.

Even if new evidence turns up, there can’t be an arrest. He died in 2004 of a heart attack.

But for Veronica’s family, it’s most important to recover her body and give her a proper funeral. They don’t believe she’s still alive, but this last hope to find her remains.

Source: Don’t Forget These Unsolved Disappearances! | Nachida Chandra, Tracy Davenport, and Veronica Tucker

Coming to Veronica’s thread to suggest Stone Mountain, GA unidentified female. I see that Victoria has already suggested her and feel that she could be a good possible match regardless of the distance from NC to GA.

UID wore a hair piece and Veronica is reported to also wear the same. UID was wearing black platform shoes and Veronica was also reported to be wearing the same.

UID PMI is reported at about 6 weeks which places a time gap of 4 months between Veronica being reported as missing and UID possible death date. I don‘t believe it’s impossible for Stone Mountain GA UID to be Ila Veronica Maynard.

Fron NamUs:
Circumstances of Recovery This female was found near a dump site in a wooded area off of Rockbridge Rd. The decedent was found approximately 284 ft from where the remains of Brenda Watson were found. The decedent was wearing a blue halter top, a yellow knit skirt with tassels, blue stockings, and black platform shoes. The decedent was also wearing a brown hair piece.
------

I looked up the circumstances for Brenda Watson. Her murderer, James Willie Brown, was executed in 2003. It seems quite plausible, given the timing and location, that this UID was another of his victims.

The dates seem possible: Veronica disappeared in Dec 1974 and the UID was found in May 1975. But this would have required her to escape from her husband, the main suspect, travel from NC to GA, likely find work in a club, and then encounter Brown. It doesn't seem very likely IMHO that Veronica's husband would have traveled all the way to GA to dump her body.

ETA, but good sleuthing work nevertheless @victoriarobinson642. I wonder why this was only recently added to NamUs.
I was just coming here to suggest this! Good eye. @victoriarobinson642 @Caring1 did either of you submit this?

Looking for help finding more information about her husband Julian Maynard. How old was he? Where was he from? Copy of obituary. Etc. Any help is appreciated!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmb123
Back